Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandoes View Post
    Hmm thats the log telling us that the system went down - You could look through the application log, and see if any events appear when your games crash.

I just went through the previous posts, and noticed that in your AIDA test, the option "Stress local disks" was not selected, could you try to run it against your disks aswell ?(just to be sure)
    I'll have a look through when the games crash tomorrow - It seems to be a little bit more common with Warhammer Total War, so I''ll try that.
    As for the stress test. Did another 5 minute test with local disks being done.

HWinfo had my temps being at a max of 70 for everything. 2 CPU internal errors, but again, I can't see where to see what the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixphire View Post
    I'll have a look through when the games crash tomorrow - It seems to be a little bit more common with Warhammer Total War, so I''ll try that.

HWinfo had my temps being at a max of 70 for everything. 2 CPU internal errors, but again, I can't see where to see what the issue is.
    With all the hardware and Windows errors, you're going to need to reinstall Windows. I don't see any other way but to start fresh because you have something seriously F'd within your Windows subsystem. Unfortunately, I've been unable to tell what Windows version you have. If you have Win 10, your license will carry over with you if you reinstall. If you have Windows 7, you need the product key to continue with the wipe and reinstall.

There is also a "fresh start" option with Win 10 that I recommend you do if that's the OS you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    With all the hardware and Windows errors, you're going to need to reinstall Windows. I don't see any other way but to start fresh because you have something seriously F'd within your Windows subsystem. Unfortunately, I've been unable to tell what Windows version you have. If you have Win 10, your license will carry over with you if you reinstall. If you have Windows 7, you need the product key to continue with the wipe and reinstall.

There is also a "fresh start" option with Win 10 that I recommend you do if that's the OS you have.
    I have already tried reinstalling Windows - alas with the "Keep my Files" option, and it hasn't helped - Are you saying it's worth trying to do the everything option?

Wait, HWinfo64 shows 2 "CPU" errors?

I'm still betting on overclock being unstable.

Pretty sure your ram is dodgy, unsure why the memtest you did was fine if that's the case though.
    download hci mem test from: https://hcidesign.com/memtest/
    Open the test and run it, and keep doing this process until you've used up 90% of your ram, Check task manager for % used.
    Leave it running for a while, 100% is the basic pass, going over will help confirm for sure if it's stable or not.

That's it for the ram.
    Now for the CPU

Download "Realbench" from asus, and do the stress test, it's 15 min test by default, it's harder than AIDA which is a joke to run, so the stress / heat caused is higher, Again, have HWInfo open and keep an eye on temps but also the error log at the bottom.

I'm betting the pc will crash/bluescreen, I think the mem test will find the errors because a cpu instability normally just crashes the pc not the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Wait, HWinfo64 shows 2 "CPU" errors?

I'm still betting on overclock being unstable.

Pretty sure your ram is dodgy, unsure why the memtest you did was fine if that's the case though.
    download hci mem test from: https://hcidesign.com/memtest/
    Open the test and run it, and keep doing this process until you've used up 90% of your ram, Check task manager for % used.
    Leave it running for a while, 100% is the basic pass, going over will help confirm for sure if it's stable or not.

That's it for the ram.
    Now for the CPU

Download "Realbench" from asus, and do the stress test, it's 15 min test by default, it's harder than AIDA which is a joke to run, so the stress / heat caused is higher, Again, have HWInfo open and keep an eye on temps but also the error log at the bottom.

I'm betting the pc will crash/bluescreen, I think the mem test will find the errors because a cpu instability normally just crashes the pc not the programs.
    Realbench did not bluescreen, the test got about 5 minutes in and shut it self off, much like the games - no computer crashing, just closing to windows. HWinfo64, again showed temps at max 70 degrees and a shed load of CPU errors, however, I couldn't get a reading on what they were, as Realbench had not completed a full test.

Realbench did not bluescreen, the test got about 5 minutes in and shut it self off, much like the games - no computer crashing, just closing to windows. HWinfo64, again showed temps at max 70 degrees and a shed load of CPU errors, however, I couldn't get a reading on what they were, as Realbench had not completed a full test.
    Do the memory test, exactly how i said and if this doesn't return errors then i'm unsure, clearly temps are not an issue, if the ram test doesn't show anything then i would just restore all overclocks to default, it's pretty easy to do if it comes to that, just load bios and run everything at factory defaults (will be something like F2 to load into bios and will say somewhere, "F* to load optimal/factory settings)

You will lose performance from going back to complete default settings however, which is why i would do the ram test first.

Do the memory test, exactly how i said and if this doesn't return errors then i'm unsure, clearly temps are not an issue, if the ram test doesn't show anything then i would just restore all overclocks to default, it's pretty easy to do if it comes to that, just load bios and run everything at factory defaults (will be something like F2 to load into bios and will say somewhere, "F* to load optimal/factory settings)

You will lose performance from going back to complete default settings however, which is why i would do the ram test first.
    I did try the memtest, no errors came up, but not sure if I did it right. Has it going for around 2 hours and wouldn’t go past 30% on task manager

I did try the memtest, no errors came up, but not sure if I did it right. Has it going for around 2 hours and wouldn’t go past 30% on task manager
    If it was only using 30% ram on task manager you did not do it correctly.

You have to open the program, run it, and then go back to the folder and open another, run it. Keep opening and running different ones until you reach 90% usage.

For me with 16gb ram I had to open about 10. (This is because we're using the free version).

If it was only using 30% ram on task manager you did not do it correctly.

You have to open the program, run it, and then go back to the folder and open another, run it. Keep opening and running different ones until you reach 90% usage.

For me with 16gb ram I had to open about 10. (This is because we're using the free version).
    Ahh makes sense.
    Well, in any case. Ran to 100% coverage with enough memtests to do 100% of my CPU usage, and no errors found.

Ahh makes sense.
    Well, in any case. Ran to 100% coverage with enough memtests to do 100% of my CPU usage, and no errors found.
    Alright i would suggest running every at stock values then, it's weird because you're not crashing or failing stability tests..

I would enter the bios (F2 when you boot pc) and find an option that says "XMP" and see if it's enabled, if it is disable it and save. Retry whatever you want, see if you're still having issues or just do realbench and check hwinfo, see if the hwinfo errors disappear, if not we'll disable the cpu overclock.

You could try also taking out 1 of your ram sticks but if the ram itself was an issue, it should be failing tests...

Alright i would suggest running every at stock values then, it's weird because you're not crashing or failing stability tests..

I would enter the bios (F2 when you boot pc) and find an option that says "XMP" and see if it's enabled, if it is disable it and save. Retry whatever you want, see if you're still having issues or just do realbench and check hwinfo, see if the hwinfo errors disappear, if not we'll disable the cpu overclock.

You could try also taking out 1 of your ram sticks but if the ram itself was an issue, it should be failing tests...
    Went in, and the only thing about XMP was information help, couldn’t do anything to disable or enable it with the options there. It was on the memory Z thing, and just a drop down thing I could look at

Went in, and the only thing about XMP was information help, couldn’t do anything to disable or enable it with the options there. It was on the memory Z thing, and just a drop down thing I could look at
    What's your motherboard i'll try see if i can find an online video of the bios so know where it is.

model of motherboard will be found in either "System information" (just type it in the start menu, or you can find the model on the motherboard itself.

Quote Originally Posted by twentytwelve View Post
    what's your motherboard i'll try see if i can find an online video of the bios so know where it is.

Model of motherboard will be found in either "system information" (just type it in the start menu, or you can find the model on the motherboard itself.
    msi z77a gd65

since there are alot of pages you might have gotten this suggestion but ive had similar issues over the year.

First time my cooling was not good enough and computer shut down big programs because of overheating

Second time it was an unknown software causing the issue so i had to reinstall windows and start over fresh

The most recent time was because of my graphics card being broken.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

Quote Originally Posted by RoboA View Post
    since there are alot of pages you might have gotten this suggestion but ive had similar issues over the year.

First time my cooling was not good enough and computer shut down big programs because of overheating

Second time it was an unknown software causing the issue so i had to reinstall windows and start over fresh

The most recent time was because of my graphics card being broken.
    Cooling seems fine - Having a max of 70C when doing the big stress tests.
    Already tried reinstalling Windows, that hadn't helped either.

Graphics card is the only other thing I've not yet tried. I wanted to put off buying anything until I knew the cause for certain.

Cooling seems fine - Having a max of 70C when doing the big stress tests.
    Already tried reinstalling Windows, that hadn't helped either.

Graphics card is the only other thing I've not yet tried. I wanted to put off buying anything until I knew the cause for certain.
    I hope you've tried reinstalling the gpu Drivers, i mentioned it twice, Try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode first with "DDU" https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

Boot up in safe mode, open DDU as administrator, and choose the option Uninstall and reboot, then install drivers from nvidia/amds website.

As for the bios, i think I've found your bios, does your bios look like this one below?

Have a look at the highlighted areas, "Extreme memory profile" is what you want to disable, it automatically overclocks the ram.

Also have a look at the other yellow highlighted stuff, see if they're different from the pictures, just to give us an idea on how/if it's overclocked.

The red area is for cpu, are any of them different?

It's a pain but write down the values of these things or take a picture if possible.

Also the "modes" at the top, which is yours on. Not sure if your pc is overclocked manually or by the genie software. Software overclocking is generally pretty bad.

I hope you've tried reinstalling the gpu Drivers, i mentioned it twice, Try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode first with "DDU" https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

Boot up in safe mode, open DDU as administrator, and choose the option Uninstall and reboot, then install drivers from nvidia/amds website.

As for the bios, i think I've found your bios, does your bios look like this one below?

Have a look at the highlighted areas, "Extreme memory profile" is what you want to disable, it automatically overclocks the ram.

Also have a look at the other yellow highlighted stuff, see if they're different from the pictures, just to give us an idea on how/if it's overclocked.

The red area is for cpu, are any of them different?

It's a pain but write down the values of these things or take a picture if possible.

Also the "modes" at the top, which is yours on. Not sure if your pc is overclocked manually or by the genie software. Software overclocking is generally pretty bad.
    BIOS looked exactly like that, I was in OC Genie II mode, and couldn't switch to standard, but I was able to find an option to disable the XMP.

BIOS looked exactly like that, I was in OC Genie II mode, and couldn't switch to standard, but I was able to find an option to disable the XMP.
    It's odd that you can't switch out of the proprietary auto-overclocking that MSI has in their BIOS. I would personally flash the bios to the newest revision, because it sounds like the previous owner has done some modifications that are not ideal to the longevity of the machine. If you're uncomfortable with that, the motherboard you have has a dual bios. There is information here on how to recover the primary bios from the backup: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=145084.0.

You shouldn't have any issue selecting modes in the bios for this MB.

Test it now XMP is disabled, if it's still an issue, list the settings you have for the highlighted options.
    You could also try and test the pc without the gpu installed. Take the GPU out, plug the monitor into the back of the motherboard and test whatever makes you crash. Gaming experience on onboard graphics would be terrible so i suggest something you know crashes that isn't a game. (since it sounds like the GPU is on your mind, this would determine if gpu is bad).