Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post

That would have happened if it were possible first and thought to have worked second.
    I think you're logic here is flawed... because the fact that a mundane person dropping off a ledge was able to succeed then logic stands that a projectile far more dense and released at higher velocity would likely also work. As to the possibility of it... unless teh ship's crew was entirely deployed on the ground and forced to rally back up on the ship it would make sense for some forces to man the guns... at teh very least such crew would be needed in securing more time for ground side forces to disengage... That just makes sense.
    Or do I need to remind of what happened just before that? The Horde was getting overrun from their support position and were forced to withdraw (The Alliance forces below didn't know the Horde were getting routed from their vantage point).
    The horde position is irrelevant to the goings on of the ship with respect to what actions they could take. The Sky ship was manned in some fashion, crew keeping her active and in the air to respond to commands... all the sky ships have guns below deck level with the gyro blades it uses to maintain altitude...
    Varian ordered a full retreat and during said retreat the Fel Reaver grabbed the gunship.
    yes... and it's form was basically point blank with the guns. It wasn't a small target... a near full broadside at point blank would likely do more damage to the fel reaver than Varian diving for a glancing blow.

edit:

if you rewatch the cinematic you have Mekkatorque call in the Gunship... it swoops in GUNS BLAZING (indicating that yes there was a crew and it included manned cannons). The Fel Reaver grabs the ship's top deck and pulls it off level, an act which also conveniently should line the guns up for a broadside on itself.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2019-06-30 at 02:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think you're logic here is flawed... because the fact that a mundane person dropping off a ledge was able to succeed then logic stands that a projectile far more dense and released at higher velocity would likely also work. As to the possibility of it... unless teh ship's crew was entirely deployed on the ground and forced to rally back up on the ship it would make sense for some forces to man the guns... at teh very least such crew would be needed in securing more time for ground side forces to disengage... That just makes sense.
    See my responses below but in short, there's details you're overlooking.

The horde position is irrelevant to the goings on of the ship with respect to what actions they could take. The Sky ship was manned in some fashion, crew keeping her active and in the air to respond to commands... all the sky ships have guns below deck level with the gyro blades it uses to maintain altitude...
    True. Yet they stopped firing to allow the Alliance forces to safely board. Unless you think firing while two royals are trying to board is a good idea?

yes... and it's form was basically point blank with the guns. It wasn't a small target... a near full broadside at point blank would likely do more damage to the fel reaver than Varian diving for a glancing blow.
    Again: Varian was on the rope ladder at the time. No way in hell would the crew risk hitting him unless ordered to fire. Plus Genn is literally begging him to grab his hand from the deck.

if you rewatch the cinematic you have Mekkatorque call in the Gunship... it swoops in GUNS BLAZING (indicating that yes there was a crew and it included manned cannons). The Fel Reaver grabs the ship's top deck and pulls it off level, an act which also conveniently should line the guns up for a broadside on itself.
    Yes...and then they stop firing so the Alliance Forces can board.
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2019-06-30 at 03:13 AM.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

See my responses below but in short, there's details you're overlooking.

True. Yet they stopped firing to allow the Alliance forces to safely board. Unless you think firing while two royals are trying to board is a good idea?

Again: Varian was on the rope ladder at the time. No way in hell would the crew risk hitting him unless ordered to fire. Plus Genn is literally begging him to grab his hand from the deck.

Yes...and then they stop firing so the Alliance Forces can board.
    Here's the thing... i'm not saying they should shoot while people are climbing on board.

But when the giant fel machination that casually yoked the entire ship sideways is suddenly liberating everyone from said ladders... at that point it's do or die regardless. So at that point the ENTIRE ship is looking at possibly getting taken out. Varian's heroic act of diving to his demise or him being flung off as a result of fel revear yeetage or blast wave of cannon fire... the result would be the same. Note Varian wasn't just on the ladders, he was at the deck as well and able to make the call for either option. You claiming they couldn't make the shot(s) is rather pointless because they clearly had the means and ability to do so, but you want to say they couldn't because people were on teh ladders.... review the footage, they were already losing the people on the ladders AND the ship itself.

edit:

Just to make sure I'm clear on this... they had the means and opportunity to fire. Instead Varian swan dove from the top deck. Did it save the climbers? nope... they already were fallen

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    isnt like that ally had to watch a dumb orc spare malfurion without the ability to do anything, watch deus ex jaina save the entire battle in lordaeron multiple time out of her ass, watch both jaina and mekkatorque escaping a raid, watch ally denying the entire horde war campaign, help a shitty cow murdering an entire boat of our comrades and help 3 traitors to free that cow.
    you had at least rastakhan head and an half assed revenge, we had at best plaguing to death enemies in lordaeron and thats all...
    All that still doesn't undo Teldrassil and the mass murder on the nelf population, and it's no revenge for it either. My point was that the story is shitty on either side, with the nelves taking the brunt and being the punching bags of the devs since at least cata. TBH, if we were being "realistic" in a fantasy world, the draenei would just have beamed the nelf population up to the vindicar, swooned over to orgrimmar and leveled that place to the ground with one giant death beam, pew pew. Well, they could still do that. I wouldn't mind. Horde players seem to be ok with genocide, why not take one to the face yourself, hu?

Not to mention seasoned war heroes like Alleria and Turalyon, who are apparently completely useless since they joined the Alliance.

Here's the thing... i'm not saying they should shoot while people are climbing on board.

But when the giant fel machination that casually yoked the entire ship sideways is suddenly liberating everyone from said ladders... at that point it's do or die regardless. So at that point the ENTIRE ship is looking at possibly getting taken out. Varian's heroic act of diving to his demise or him being flung off as a result of fel revear yeetage or blast wave of cannon fire... the result would be the same. Note Varian wasn't just on the ladders, he was at the deck as well and able to make the call for either option. You claiming they couldn't make the shot(s) is rather pointless because they clearly had the means and ability to do so, but you want to say they couldn't because people were on teh ladders.... review the footage, they were already losing the people on the ladders AND the ship itself.

edit:

Just to make sure I'm clear on this... they had the means and opportunity to fire. Instead Varian swan dove from the top deck. Did it save the climbers? nope... they already were fallen
    Aiming and firing a canon while the ship is rolling that much is not easy you know.

@Eggroll

They can't show Alleria too much because then people might remember that there's a whole race of playable agents of the Void who are used as beacons by the forces of evil to destroy the planet, punt people to burn in hell and have whispers in their head telling them to kill their friends and family. And we can't show Turalyon too much because Blizzard are losing steam as a company and can't afford the medical bills of the people who'll have aneurysms pondering why the Lightforged are fine with this.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-06-30 at 09:46 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

All that soy is going to make his skin sparkle almost as much as the boi king.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    All that still doesn't undo Teldrassil and the mass murder on the nelf population, and it's no revenge for it either. My point was that the story is shitty on either side, with the nelves taking the brunt and being the punching bags of the devs since at least cata. TBH, if we were being "realistic" in a fantasy world, the draenei would just have beamed the nelf population up to the vindicar, swooned over to orgrimmar and leveled that place to the ground with one giant death beam, pew pew. Well, they could still do that. I wouldn't mind. Horde players seem to be ok with genocide, why not take one to the face yourself, hu?

Not to mention seasoned war heroes like Alleria and Turalyon, who are apparently completely useless since they joined the Alliance.
    Your last line brings up an infuriating point, the fact that seasoned veterans of the Burning Crusade like Alleria, Turalyon, and Velen are taking orders from a young boy with no experience whatsoever in the field of military. If Alleria or Turalyon led the Alliance, the war would have ended a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    Your last line brings up an infuriating point, the fact that seasoned veterans of the Burning Crusade like Alleria, Turalyon, and Velen are taking orders from a young boy with no experience whatsoever in the field of military. If Alleria or Turalyon led the Alliance, the war would have ended a long time ago.
    Or if our characters weren't routinely struck with amnesia/pure stupidity, or if half our forces and resources weren't written out as inconvenient...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

I'm still baffled as to why Varian would have to dive the Fel Reaver when there were perfectly good starboard/portside artillery cannons mounted on the ship that probably would have hit with more force than his armor clad self.
    because that wouldn't be badass.

Varian had to go folks, so that the age of Anduin could begin.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    because that wouldn't be badass.

Varian had to go folks, so that the age of Anduin could begin.
    There is nothing more badass than a full broadside shredding a giant robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    There is nothing more badass than a full broadside shredding a giant robot.
    hey i think it would be sick too, but Logash face spiking a reaver was super tight.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    That actually is an interesting scenario to consider. If Turalyon or Alleria were in charge we might not have even had the war as it currently is, Shaw could have been kept in check and the focus wouldn't have been on Azerite for the Alliance but rather whether Void Infusion or Light Forging was a better tactic to deal with the Horde which could eventually lead to infighting in the Alliance. In contrast the Horde could be debating the use of Azerite in War and figuring out it's most dangerous properties which could have lead to a schism between using dangerous new tech in future wars or fighting "honourably" using what comes natural (subtle elements hint) and then the faction war this expansion could be between the four parties with Magni's "Save the World" plot in the background. Still have the Horde and Alliance but you champion your chosen side within the faction, heck you could even have the de facto faction leaders (Sylvanas and Anduin) look neutral but one is planning a genocide of all races and the other is trying to find common ground between their split (guess who would be doing which). Then it could've tied up with N'Zoth turning up, certain people betraying within each of the factions and forcing them to reunify against the Old God and somehow lead into the Horde and Alliance getting into a massive war over it.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Just means the alliance is supposed to simply forget the horde burned down Teldrassil and almost wiped out the night elves.
    Hey I guess it's like WoD again where everyone holds hands and sings songs and forgets that their back then enemy nearly committed genocide. Totally cool though because Tyrande and the NE got their revenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodKazekage View Post

Also find it funny how most Sylvanas fanboys are cata babies , know nothing of lore or what the world was like before the revamp. Sylvanas has always been about using the horde for convenience her goal has always been to make more forsaken no matter the cost.
    Not at all the case. Her goal was always to get revenge on Arthas using the forsaken as a means to do so. She never once cared about the forsaken or their numbers, that whole shift in character came practically out of nowhere, and you’d know that if you weren’t a projecting cata baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Not at all the case. Her goal was always to get revenge on Arthas using the forsaken as a means to do so. She never once cared about the forsaken or their numbers, that whole shift in character came practically out of nowhere, and you’d know that if you weren’t a projecting cata baby.
    Chalk it up to Blizz writing very one dimensional characters, and not having a clue what to do after Character X's motivation is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Aiming and firing a canon while the ship is rolling that much is not easy you know.
    Actually, the ship isn't rolling at that point cause the Fel Reaver has got a grip on the vessel. The size and distance to target also takes the aiming requirement down since it's a fucking wall within 30ft of the ship taking up most of the field of view.

You did notice the ppl sliding down from the gunship? How do you think things are on the cannon bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    You did notice the ppl sliding down from the gunship? How do you think things are on the cannon bridge?
    better braced than above deck open to the sky at least. This is also a period with a good 40~ seconds of basically nothing happening while wait for Varian to look around, pass a letter and eventually dive.

Yes, the entire ship got shaken up... but it was getting shaken up on approach as well. I think that turn as it got in position was sharper than the yeeting the Fel Reaver pulled.

fact is, they opted for killing off Varian instead of an intelligent move cause they thought the story demanded Varian's removal. They elected to not have Jaina provide any form of teleportation support (despite her showing you could move whole armies at will in the past: battle for undercity in wrath). It's not some half assed "they couldn't fire" for any discernable reason beyond something the author has yet to reveal.. they wanted to 'up the stakes' in legion by killing some main characters and picked Varian and Tyrion to sacrifice for the story.

As always, there is always a better move, especially when seen from the outside.

And do not forget:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief