10+ Year Old Account

Police arrest patient for 'stealing medical equipment'.

(CNN)A black man says he was racially profiled by white police officers while he was being treated at an Illinois hospital and went for a walk hooked up to an IV drip.

Police arrested Shaquille Dukes, 24, on suspicion of stealing the medical equipment, after a security guard called them.
    The Freeport Police Department confirmed Sunday in a statement that Dukes filed a complaint "alleging unfair and biased conduct by responding officers." The department said it has retained an outside, third-party investigator to "gather the facts, interview all parties involved, and determine whether officers conducted themselves in adherence to department policies and guidelines."

Dukes wrote on Facebook that he was on vacation in Freeport, about 100 miles west of Chicago, when he came down with double pneumonia and went to the hospital. He told CNN he was admitted to FHN Memorial Hospital for two days.

On the morning of the second day, June 9, he said he was feeling better and asked doctors if he could go for a walk. He went outside with his boyfriend and his brother, still wearing his hospital gown and pushing a steroid and antibiotic IV drip.

As they went outside, Dukes said a security guard called them over to his car and asked if they were trying to "leave the hospital and sell the IV equipment on eBay."

"I was livid, I was irate," Dukes said. "The first thing he said to me wasn't, 'What's your name? Can I help you?' but 'Are you stealing this?'" Dukes said his boyfriend began recording the encounter, as Dukes was trying to explain to the security guard that they were on a walk.

That's when the security guard called for police backup, Dukes told CNN. He said the guard told police, "I have three black males attempting to steal medical equipment from the hospital."

Police arrested all three men, charging them with misdemeanor disorderly conduct. Two of the men were also charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest, according to a Freeport police press release issued June 17.

Dukes told CNN that before his arrest, police officers took his emergency inhaler and his IV was removed, though not by a doctor. Police said in a June 18 statement that the IV was removed by FHN medical personnel.

While officers were taking him to the police department, Dukes said he suffered an asthma attack. He alleges the officers withheld his asthma inhaler from him until they arrived.

Dukes said he was kept in the back of the police car until paramedics arrived. He told CNN he was then transported back to the hospital, this time in handcuffs.

The police department has appointed an independent investigator to look at the case, Freeport police spokesman Dave Bayliss told CNN.
    Bayliss identified the investigator as Mitch Davis, who has served as police chief for 18 years in Hazel Crest, Illinois, a suburb south of Chicago. Davis, who is black, is also a member of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police.

Dukes said he believes the incident should prompt additional sensitivity training for both police and FHN staff.
    The hospital declined to comment, citing patient confidentiality, and said it was cooperating with the police investigation.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/us/il...ted/index.html

A man gets admitted to the hospital for pneumonia. He asked the hospital if he could go for a way, they said fine (hospitals also have bed alarms if they don't want you to get up). He goes outside, in his gown and all, where a security guard accuses him of stealing the IVs and medical equipment attached to him. The security guard calls the police. Police take the patient and the two people with him down to the station arguing with the police (the disorderly conduct charge). During transport, the patient has an asthma attack (he is recovering from pneumonia). Remember this guy is in his hospital gown, IV still in his arm. Instead of turning back around the police stops and calls paramedics...who take him back to the hospital. You can't make this stuff up.

It's like some people lose all rational thought processes when they put on a badge. The security guard could have easily asked the hospital who the patient as if he actually though the patient was stealing something. And what security guard has never seen a patient walking around?

The police could have easily asked the hospital about the patient. He definitely doesn't need to waste everyone's time by taking the men down because they were obviously like, 'wtf, we didn't do anything wrong.' Didn't even charge them on suspicion of theft, he charged them for talking back...in America...wow. And let's waste more time and money by not taking the patient back to the hospital when he is having a medical emergency. Nooooo, let's call the EMTs, wait for them to come, and then let them transport him back.

How dumber could you get?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like complete bullshit from grifters looking to make money.

The police say the hospital told them the patient was never given permission to leave, let alone take the equipment with him. When confronted by security, he and his posse immediately jumped to the "fuck you racist we're recording this!" shtick... After berating the security guard for his supposed racism and refusing to return the equipment to the hospital for a while, the security guard contacted the police and asked them for assistance.

When the police arrived, they were still ass deep in their 'fuck da police' spiel to make their lawsuit money video and resisting officers' attempts to detain them. The guy then exclaims that the police, not a doctor removed his IV, implying they forcefully/improperly removed it or something, when the guy himself asked for it to be removed and hospital personnel removed it for him, once again, AT HIS OWN REQUEST.

The police have already released their body cam footage and hired an independent investigator; obvious signs of an evil racist police department covering their tracks... I assume we will be hearing about his $20 million lawsuit against the city for emotional trauma anytime now.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

The police say the hospital told them the patient was never given permission to leave, let alone take the equipment with him. When confronted by security, he and his posse immediately jumped to the "fuck you racist we're recording this!" shtick... After berating the security guard for his supposed racism and refusing to return the equipment to the hospital for a while, the security guard contacted the police and asked them for assistance.

When the police arrived, they were still ass deep in their 'fuck da police' spiel to make their lawsuit money video and resisting officers' attempts to detain them. The guy then exclaims that the police, not a doctor removed his IV, implying they forcefully/improperly removed it or something, when the guy himself asked for it to be removed and hospital personnel removed it for him, once again, AT HIS OWN REQUEST.

The police have already released their body cam footage and hired an independent investigator; obvious signs of an evil racist police department covering their tracks... I assume we will be hearing about his $20 million lawsuit against the city for emotional trauma anytime now.

It’s a lot easier just to come out and say “I’m racist and he’s black so I don’t trust him” then the round about nonsense you posted. Instead of making up some story in your head to paint the dastardly black people as super geniuses looking for a quick lawsuit buck why not wait for actual info?

You forgot "dindus" and "thugs" in this screed.

So is it your contention that he and his "posse" went outside specifically so they could get wrongfully arrested and sue the police for said wrongful arrest?

Or are black people just supposed to say "yes massa, right away massa" and not get angry when someone assumes they're stealing because they're black?
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-07-02 at 05:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s a lot easier just to come out and say “I’m racist and he’s black so I don’t trust him” then the round about nonsense you posted. Instead of making up some story in your head to paint the dastardly black people as super geniuses looking for a quick lawsuit buck why not wait for actual info?
    Only I didn't make up anything, I watched the videos posted and read the police department's official statement. And thus far the guy, his boyfriend, and brother, all seem like pieces of shit... The guy already lied about the situation in his Facebook post (the IV bit), so why should I believe anything else he says? AND says he has already contacted a lawyer to sue them...

Only I didn't make up anything, I watched the videos posted and read the police department's official statement. And thus far the guy, his boyfriend, and brother, all seem like pieces of shit... The guy already lied about the situation in his Facebook post (the IV bit), so why should I believe anything else he says? AND says he has already contacted a lawyer to sue them...
    Well see how fast you would run to a lawyer if while you were sick and hospitalized you became racially profiled, and arrested all because you are black because some dumb as shit rent a cop thought you were trying to steal a single iv rack and iv tubing which in brand new condition sells for about 50 bucks. But hey the "criminal" was black so to you that means guilty and the rent a cop was white so that means he is in the right.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So you have video of him and his posse as you put it immediately jumping to “fuck you racist” and “fuck da police” you didn’t just see people rightfully upset and make up a scenario to fit the racist lay out of events you already had?

Again just own up to your racism it must be tiring to try and Skirt around it by claiming hospital patients who had to be taken back to said hospital were looking for a quick lawsuit buck through some nonsense narrative you came up with in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    So you have video of him and his posse as you put it immediately jumping to “fuck you racist” and “fuck da police” you didn’t just see people rightfully upset and make up a scenario to fit the racist lay out of events you already had?

Again just own up to your racism it must be tiring to try and Skirt around it by claiming hospital patients who had to be taken back to said hospital were looking for a quick lawsuit buck through some nonsense narrative you came up with in your head.
    No we are all the true racists for pointing out his/her racism because by making racist statements he/she is in fact not racist but we are for pointing out their racist statements.

I think it's better if I just close this thread right now before it turns into a full-blown race discussion.