Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Capitalist View Post
    Uh no actually not. The only reason fossil fuels are extracted is that society demands it, once that is no longer the case fossil fuel extraction will die off.
    This isn't remotely true. See coal, for example. Alternatives exist, the fossil fuel companies have just done their best to fight them and keep them away from consumers at every turn.

If you ban it there will still be gas plants, cars that burn Diesel and other things that still need to be supplied with. The issue is how we can move away from that dependency and who is responsible. In
    Which we're slowly trying to move towards now, despite many of the industries fighting back hard because their business model relies on the continued sale of fossil fuels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh no actually not. The only reason fossil fuels are extracted is that society demands it, once that is no longer the case fossil fuel extraction will die off. If you ban it there will still be gas plants, cars that burn Diesel and other things that still need to be supplied with. The issue is how we can move away from that dependency and who is responsible. In
    What do you mean ‘actually not’? We have alternatives to fossil fuels, which are heavily lobbied against. The first Secretary of State under Trump was a former Exxon CEO. His foreign policy includes ‘bomb the shit out of them and give their oil to exxon’. Welcome to lobbying and our current president.

In WA state alone, we burn off enough clean energy to fuel California through any issues with energy it has. But, we don’t have the infrastructure to either contain it or ship it. Unlike oil companies that have subsidies for fault rates from 1920s and building their infrastructure was a massive accomplishment of the country, not these companies. Their wealth and government influence will never permit infrastructure that would allow for alternatives.

Even if I were to choose to go 100% fossil fuel free, I’d still be paying for it, as a tax payer.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Gasoline isn't a vice, lol.
    We are in a captive market and consumers have no choice.

Gasoline isn't a vice lol

These positions are contradictory af.

15+ Year Old Account
    We are talking about companies that extract fossil fuels right? The public health issues come on the side that burns those fuels. Energy companies, car manufacturers and so on. Why is Exxon paying the price for the errors of others?

If I a missing something you can tell me.
    No they dont. Fracking and deep water drilling contain hundreds of known carcinogens that leak into groundwater and decimate ocean eco systems. To compound on this fact is there decadal investment in lobbying that has virtually created the current regulatory regime, which is why there is the entire subsidization policy in the first place, when these companies have an even more robust understanding of climate science and greenhouse gas emissions than the climate scientists themselves. They know the 600 trillion cost to the planet, they know that rising sea levels will cause hundreds of millions of refugees. They know and they are reaping incredible returns on the back of the public.

- - - Updated - - -

We are talking about companies that extract fossil fuels right? The public health issues come on the side that burns those fuels. Energy companies, car manufacturers and so on. Why is Exxon paying the price for the errors of others?

If I a missing something you can tell me.
    No they dont. Fracking and deep water drilling contain hundreds of known carcinogens that leak into groundwater and decimate ocean eco systems. To compound on this fact is there decadal investment in lobbying that has virtually created the current regulatory regime, which is why there is the entire subsidization policy in the first place, when these companies have an even more robust understanding of climate science and greenhouse gas emissions than the climate scientists themselves. They know the 600 trillion cost to the planet, they know that rising sea levels will cause hundreds of millions of refugees. They know and they are reaping incredible returns on the back of the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.