Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildur View Post
    I remember the days where you had to have a particular knowledge about something, be particular good at something, often with years of education or practice behind you, before you earned a voice on tv. I also remember when I was a kid most of my classmates wanted to be astronauts or firefighters or secret agents when they grew up. Nowadays I've actually heard kids go "I wanna be a Youtuber when I grow up".

I have had hours long talks with friends on this topic so it's hard (impossible) to boil it down to a few lines here and make it sound right. In my world your not entitled to your 15 min of fame until you have something to show that is worth it, but it seems to me we are cultivating and celebrating the lowest denominator these day while slowly forgetting we can do better than this. And reality tv is a frontrunner for this.
    Oh I totally, agree, the kid of a colleague also told his father that he wants to be a streamer, when he told us we all just broke out into roaring laughter in the office. Since he had no idea how to handle it I gave him a few pointers to failed twitch streamers that spend 15 hours a day and still get nowhere and "confessions" of the successful ones that admit it was a mixture between hard work and absolute sheer dumb luck that they blew up.

Either way, it's not just a media phenomenon, the market of barely qualified adviser and coaching jobs out there is teethering on the insane. Our marketing hired some guy to slightly change the color gradient of the paint on our industrial equipment (seriously, no one gives a fuck about the color as long as you don't make it neon pink..) and payed him handsomely multiple 10s of thousands of dollars for what boils down to less than 10 clicks in the design files. I get 3 calls a week of guys that want to tell me how to do my job because they made up a job description for it. I just wonder if both of these developments stem from a singular source or if they are consequences of one another.

Looking back at reality TV, we certainly have made talentless people popular for no reason (see kardashians) or we send failed celebraties into (something like) the wilderness to gawkt at them struggling with only basic anemeties, which would hint at either a need to worship something or a need laugh at perceived superiors - maybe both. You are right that unraveling this is probably impossible here. I'm not sure if it is all bad either, maybe there is genuinly something there for people, I certainly have seen people make good arguments on youtube and the like (but they usually have achieved something before to make that argument compelling across the board), maybe it's just clever snake-oil salesmen employing psycholigical tricks. I don't know, other than I just don't like most of it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-07-02 at 01:12 PM.

Procedurals, laugh track sitcoms and 'reality' shows are pure garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bildur View Post
    I remember the days where you had to have a particular knowledge about something, be particular good at something, often with years of education or practice behind you, before you earned a voice on tv. I also remember when I was a kid most of my classmates wanted to be astronauts or firefighters or secret agents when they grew up. Nowadays I've actually heard kids go "I wanna be a Youtuber when I grow up".

I have had hours long talks with friends on this topic so it's hard (impossible) to boil it down to a few lines here and make it sound right. In my world your not entitled to your 15 min of fame until you have something to show that is worth it, but it seems to me we are cultivating and celebrating the lowest denominator these day while slowly forgetting we can do better than this. And reality tv is a frontrunner for this.
    You know how much money youtubers make? I could never do it because I'm not going to sit around running my mouth all day but if I did it wouldn't be for fame, fuck fame I want that ad revenue lol. My brotato Graham Stephan shows his journey and how much he's made/makes typically. And he's not even that popular relative to the YoutubeVerse (I just made that word up) only has 740k subs.

You know I always assume that like 99% of people have adblockers but I guess that's wrong, I'll have to do some research.

(Skip to 4:09 for revenue breakdown)

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Oh I totally, agree, the kid of a colleague also told his father that he wants to be a streamer, when he told us we all just broke out into roaring laughter in the office. Since he had no idea how to handle it I gave him a few pointers to failed twitch streamers that spend 15 hours a day and still get nowhere and "confessions" of the successful ones that admit it was a mixture between hard work and absolute sheer dumb luck that they blew up.
    Adults being shitty, charming.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2019-07-02 at 06:55 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Any of the pretentious "woke" sitcoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Reality, soap operas and most sit-coms.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Adults being shitty, charming.
    Lol. Yeah let the kid quit school early to attempt a carrer at playing minecraft on twitch, I'm sure this will work out.

Randos on the internet being wise-arses, charming.

Reality TV for sure, there were a few good ones, but most suck hard.

Lol. Yeah let the kid quit school early to attempt a carrer at playing minecraft on twitch, I'm sure this will work out.
    ...yes? Let him.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

7+ Year Old Account

Either way, it's not just a media phenomenon, the market of barely qualified adviser and coaching jobs out there is teethering on the insane. Our marketing hired some guy to slightly change the color gradient of the paint on our industrial equipment (seriously, no one gives a fuck about the color as long as you don't make it neon pink..) and payed him handsomely multiple 10s of thousands of dollars for what boils down to less than 10 clicks in the design files. I get 3 calls a week of guys that want to tell me how to do my job because they made up a job description for it. I just wonder if both of these developments stem from a singular source or if they are consequences of one another.

Looking back at reality TV, we certainly have made talentless people popular for no reason (see kardashians) or we send failed celebraties into (something like) the wilderness to gawkt at them struggling with only basic anemeties, which would hint at either a need to worship something or a need laugh at perceived superiors - maybe both. You are right that unraveling this is probably impossible here. I'm not sure if it is all bad either, maybe there is genuinly something there for people, I certainly have seen people make good arguments on youtube and the like (but they usually have achieved something before to make that argument compelling across the board), maybe it's just clever snake-oil salesmen employing psycholigical tricks. I don't know, other than I just don't like most of it.
    About the kid you know who want to be a steamer - my point is I don't meassure "success" after the income you get. To make an unfair,overexaturating example: Beethoven got rightfully famous (after his death). So did Mozart. Why should a kid talking about video games we all play get more money than those two guys ever did when they were alive? Or even worse - kids doing "unboxing videos". Or that chick on X-factor that made a total fool of herself on national tv? I don't care about the money involved ... its the princip ofnot only celebrating, but cultivating the the lowest denominator that gets to me.

Some 2o+ years ago a guy in my country became very famous (and rich) for making "quirky standup comidy" and I was thinking "Shit they should have just video taped me and my friends after 10 beers - we were just as quirky and weird as he was" Again its not about the money, if someone can make millions from shitting himself on Youtube then good for him ... except I care for lowring the bar so to speak. We used to be better than this

10+ Year Old Account
    Shows I hate...

Reality shows
    Especially the obviously rehearsed ones. I even saw one get made near my workplace and my god is it so rehearsed. Cannot understand people's obsession with such vapid human beings. :P

American Sitcoms
    Love American stand up but your sitcoms are so unfunny.

Talk Shows
    Like the Jerry Springer type shows, not sure if they are still on TV but I hate them, so undignified, who would seriously empty their dirty laundry on TV I have no idea.

Shows I like...

Political Discussion
    Here in the UK we have Question Time, which is basically a politics discussion show. I have also attended two episodes. I love that show. Really think Fiona Bruce is doing a good job taking over David Dimbleby too.

Historical Documentaries
    I am a big history nerd, I love history. And I love learning.

Animal Shows
    David Attenborough's Animal Planet and Blue Planet shows are the best TV. I enjoy watching any content that man is involved in.

Panel Quiz Shows
    QI, Have I got News For You, Mock the Week, I love panel shows they are my escapism to taking a lighter side to life.

Fantasy TV shows
    Be in Game of Thrones or Stranger Things or Star Trek... Anything that ignites my imagination and inspires me
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-03 at 01:52 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Any show where the writers do not have enough confidence to stick with the topic. So many of these shows now with interesting ideas and then it keeps showing us the day to day realities of the characters to a huge extent. If you are solving enormous problems as a character I don't really care that your kid needs to get to the dentist and that your ex is being a bitch about it.

TV shows about grown people acting like dramatic teenagers in a hospital setting while dishing out pseudo-profound instagram motivational speeches at the end of each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezh View Post
    TV shows about grown people acting like dramatic teenagers in a hospital setting while dishing out pseudo-profound instagram motivational speeches at the end of each episode.
    Have you met doctors, especially really specialized ones like surgeons? Emotionally and socially, they're definitely like teenagers, because they never took time to work on themselves.

Not Grey's Anatomy levels of ridiculousness, but some of the most immature adults I know are doctors with god complexes.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Have you met doctors, especially really specialized ones like surgeons? Emotionally and socially, they're definitely like teenagers, because they never took time to work on themselves.

Not Grey's Anatomy levels of ridiculousness, but some of the most immature adults I know are doctors with god complexes.
    I can imagine that. In my country, you basically need a perfect score coming out of high school to get into med school. Which means you need an A in subjects like Art, English and Physics. Do you really need that to become a doctor? The only people I knew who wanted to get into med school wanted to do that because it was the most prestigious, not because they wanted to become a doctor to help people. I've always wondered if those people will really make the best doctors.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Talent" shows

Several years back I read the book "Chart Throb" by Ben Elton (author of the Thin Blue Line and Black Adder) which completely parodied the idea of the television talent show. Subsequently it has been utterly impossible for me to not see any "talent" show as ridiculous.

"Reality" TV

The underlying flaw of "Reality" TV is that it is anything but reality. It's pretty much all contrived bullshit. I have enjoyed Survivor (at least for the first 10 or so seasons) and the Amazing Race, because I think they are genuinely entertaining contests and pretty well produced. But the slew of utter garbage that has followed is just so banal, that I cannot stand it. What the success of the Kardassians says about the state of humanity is just depressing....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    American Sitcoms
    Love American stand up but your sitcoms are so unfunny.
    In general I have to agree. The vast majority of US sitcoms are drivel to the soundtrack of canned laughter.

But to give credit where it is due, the US has produced some exceptional sitcoms: Back in the day I really enjoyed the Cosby Show (whatever else the man is, he deserves credit for being a comic genius of his time). Frasier was absolutely brilliant and more recent shows like Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory are also standouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sports and anything with a laugh track.

"Ex on the beach" and all other RealityTV shows like it..

Also shows about doctors/Nurses, Lawyers, marketing etc.

Reality shows are pretty much the worst, though daytime soap operas are really close.

I love to watch programs about survival in various conditions, although in some places you understand that this is a statement, but it's still cool to find out some cool ways to get food or water. Especially right now, I like it when adding frames or shooting 360, it’s generally top, as if you are watching first-person

Talent shows
    Shows like Kardashians, Real Housewives etc

Other than that, I'm an omnivore.