Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why is USA so great at every sport?

Why does USA kick the crap out of every other country at sports? I guess not the best at video games if you want to include e-sports..lul.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know OP it 's interesting of you to mention that , because Why does USA kick the crap out of every other country at sports? I guess not the best at video games if you want to include e-sports..lul.

Because our country attracts everyone who can run, jump and swim because REASONS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    Why does USA kick the crap out of every other country at sports? I guess not the best at video games if you want to include e-sports..lul.
    learn proper football first then come back

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Because our country attracts everyone who can run, jump and swim because REASONS.
    It's the entry test to get into the country.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    USWNT says hello while mocking some tea sipping.

You're free to view US soccer a girl sport, just like you do cycling.

Well, our women’s team knows it at least.

The men could use some work.
    change can't wait.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    basically? Money.

We can afford the best training facilities, nutrition for our athletes, and attract the best talent via "you'll never have to work after you've destroyed your body pushing it well past it's limit before you're old enough for a mid-life crisis" payments.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

We really don't. Other countries tend to focus on a single sport or two. meanwhile, Americans are interested in all sorts of sports, except for men's soccer. We really don't care about it over here.

Take baseball. Sure, we have lots of good players, but we aren't really any better than Cuba, the Dominican Republic, or half a dozen other tiny little countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    God, in Her infinite wisdom, saw how badly it was doing at everything else so made it good at sportsball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Have you seen the US as a hockey team, or any other arbitrary sport played around the world. We're terrible. We are only good at a few.

There is a lot of emphasis to youth to get into sports, especially Olympic sports (track, swimming, volleyball, etc.). A lot of effort goes into getting kids involved at a very young age, like middle school and high school so the competition really helps mold athletes from a young age.

The reason why the US women's soccer team is so good is because soccer is a very popular women's sport in the US. The best female athletes play it. Same can't be said for the men's soccer team, as men usually play other sports first. The best American male athletes play American football, basketball, baseball, and even hockey as those are all more popular in the US. Soccer is growing in popularity here though, and although the MLS is obviously not int he same tier as leagues around the world, they are doing a lot of work to help grow interest.

Numerical superiority (we have 330 million people), geographic diversity that allows for a broad range of interests, ethnic diversity that lends itself well to competing in sports that require different body types (basically all Olympic spring finalists are West African ancestry), and sufficient nutrition that pretty much everyone grows up with a chance to test their physical ability.

They have more money to hide doping. There I said it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...al_soccer_team

Your not.

Your a joke at soccer.
    An embarisment at cricket.
    Temperamental at tennis
    In the mix when it comes to golf.

Basicly what you saying is why does the USA win at sports only them and Canada play with any seriousness?

Well because only you and Canada play it.

Call us when you make out of the group stages of the next world Cup.

You know what sport the US isn't good at?

Target shooting! Lolz.

Guess the NRA sucks at its job.

There are many reasons.

Firstly, the United States has a very large population, 3rd largest in the world to be precise. This means we are more likely to have those born with superior genetic traits than most (this also means we have more born with negative traits), when compared to most. Secondly it is rich, the wealthiest overall and second to third (depending on source) wealthiest per capita. This means not only the best available training facilities, but people are more likely to be able to afford equipment/lessons for the things they like. Thirdly we put a very strong emphasis on sports, from scholarships, professional sports, marketing, etc. This causes more people to view sports as a career thus put most of their focus on it.

There are many others, such as the diversity of the landscape allowing for places where almost everyone has a swimming pool, world class skiing, areas with tons of skating ponds, etc.

The most controversial argument would be because of slavery. Many slave owners would basically force their best/strongest workers to breed in order to create a stronger work force out of the next generation. It is truly a terrible thing, but I believe it has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Your not.

Your a joke at soccer.
    An embarisment at cricket.
    Temperamental at tennis
    In the mix when it comes to golf.

Basicly what you saying is why does the USA win at sports only them and Canada play with any seriousness?

Well because only you and Canada play it.

Call us when you make out of the group stages of the next world Cup.
    Really, you would call our women's soccer team a joke? You are right that our men's team is bad, but you can not call us entirely bad because of the women.
    Cricket is a sport that never took off in the US, so yes we are bad at it because it doesn't get played.
    Tennis, the US produces some of the top players in the world.
    Golf, I would say the US is more than in the mix.

Blatantly false to say the US can only do well in sports that only NA completes in just because we don't compete in some you like.
    Summer Olympic Medals
    2016: 121 total second highest 70 46 Gold, second highest 27
    2012: 104 total second highest 88 46 Gold, second highest 38
    2008: 100 total (actually second place) Highest 110, third highest 73 Gold, second place with 36, Highest being 51, third being 23
    2004: 101 total second highest 90 36 Gold, second highest 32
    ALL Time. 2522 total, Second Highest 1010* (USSR, Russia has 426 on it's own) Gold 1022 Second Highest 395* (USSR, Russia has 148 on it's own)

Winter Olympics
    All Time, Second highest total with 305, Highest is 368, Third is 240 Gold, second** place with 105 Highest is 132, third is 92. If you were to add USSR and Russia they would be highest with 139
    Last edited by Utinil; 2019-07-03 at 05:31 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    We don't. Winter and summer olympics and other world competitions. The US does very well, and usually takes the high medal count (if you want to use that as a measuring stick), but we also lose plenty. Possibly more than we win.

For instance - Men's Soccer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    There are many reasons.

Firstly, the United States has a very large population, 3rd largest in the world to be precise.
    Show of hands - how many people didn't believe this and looked it up. I thought we weren't even in the top 10.

This means we are more likely to have those born with superior genetic traits than most (this also means we have more born with negative traits), when compared to most. Secondly it is rich, the wealthiest overall and second to third (depending on source) wealthiest per capita. This means not only the best available training facilities, but people are more likely to be able to afford equipment/lessons for the things they like. Thirdly we put a very strong emphasis on sports, from scholarships, professional sports, marketing, etc. This causes more people to view sports as a career thus put most of their focus on it.

There are many others, such as the diversity of the landscape allowing for places where almost everyone has a swimming pool, world class skiing, areas with tons of skating ponds, etc.

The most controversial argument would be because of slavery. Many slave owners would basically force their best/strongest workers to breed in order to create a stronger work force out of the next generation. It is truly a terrible thing, but I believe it has something to do with it.
    Good points here.