Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

AOC ridiculed for having a job instead of gaining office through nepotism like Ivanka

ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ RESPONDS TO REPUBLICANS CALLING HER 'JUST A WAITRESS' AFTER IVANKA TWEET: 'WHAT IS SO APPALLING TO GOP ABOUT HAVING AN HONEST JOB?'

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez continues to hit out at those who criticize her for working as a bartender before she was elected to Congress in 2018. The New York Democrat was mocked online after she tweeted her own criticism of Ivanka Trump in response to a video which went viral over the weekend.

The president's daughter was seen joining in a conversation between British Prime Minister Theresa May, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, French President Emmanuel Macron, and International Monetary Fund Chairwoman Christine Lagarde during the G20 summit in Osaka, Japan.

"It may be shocking to some, but being someone's daughter actually isn't a career qualification," Ocasio-Cortez wrote. "It hurts our diplomatic standing when the President phones it in & the world moves on. The U.S. needs our President working the G20. Bringing a qualified diplomat couldn't hurt either."

Former CNN presenter Piers Morgan was one of those who scorned Ocasio-Cortez for mocking the white house adviser, writing "Could be worse...Ivanka could have been a bar-tender 18 months ago" in reply to her tweet.

Ocasio-Cortez originally responded to Morgan's message by suggesting the government would be in a better position if more people worked regular jobs prior to be being elected.

"Imagine if more people in power spent years of their lives actually working for a living," she wrote. "We'd probably have healthcare and living wages by now."

Several hours later, Ocasio-Cortez further defended her previous employment, saying she is proud of her work in restaurants.

"I also worked for Sen. Ted Kennedy, piloted literacy projects in the South Bronx, studied Development Economics in W Africa, served as an Educational Director & won international science competitions before I ran for office, too," she tweeted.

"Working people that GOP dismiss as 'just a waitress/cook/etc' contain multitudes, & are just as capable & intelligent as anyone. Classism—judging someone's character by their income—is disappointing to see from them.

"What is so appalling to GOP about having an honest job? Some of the most nuanced, intelligent, & grounded people I've ever met weren't at BU, MIT or Harvard events when I was a student. They were the plumbers & waitresses I hung out with at happy hour, who had ferocious intellectual curiosity *and* a lived context of the real world.

"In other words, Republicans who criticize my being a waitress as evidence of lacking skill can take their classism to the trash. You are insulting the capacities and potential of virtually every working person in America (& the world) for having experience that's earned, not bought. (And that's if they even take out their own trash, which I doubt)."

Ocasio-Cortez, who previously worked at the Flats Fix restaurant in the Manhattan area of New York, returned to bartending for a shift at a bar in Queens last month in order to show support for a campaign to raise the minimum wage.
    https://www.newsweek.com/alexandria-...-tweet-1446752

Short version: AOC was one of many people who mocked Ivanka for awkwardly inserting herself into a meeting of world leaders, embarrassing the US on the world stage:

Trump nepotism attacked after 'out-of-her-depth' Ivanka given key summit role
    Experts say first daughter’s presence reflects gravely on US

Donald Trump has been accused of taking nepotism to alarming new depths after giving his daughter, Ivanka, a prominent role in meetings with the G20 and Kim Jong-un.

On Saturday, the French government released a video from the G20 summit in Osaka that showed Ivanka awkwardly interjecting with the French president, Emmanuel Macron, British prime minister, Theresa May, Canadian PM, Justin Trudeau and IMF director Christine Lagarde, whose icy expression spoke volumes. During the summit, Ivanka was also included in photographs of a group of leaders.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...korea-nepotism

Afterwards career moron Piers Morgan thought it'd be smart to fire back at her for having worked as a bartender in the past. How horrific, working a job to pay your way in college and going on to be elected to Congress instead of getting an unelected position from your daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Not everyone has daddy hand them a job like Ivanka or can make a career out of being a dumb cunt like Piers Morgan.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Trump are made for each other.

Both are from New York. Both have that loud, aggressive style.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

GOP had a president that was basically nepotism.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean to tell me that AOC is a woman who who had a blue collar job, listens to blue collar concerns, and tries to live a modest life has the audacity to hold office?

We need more people who were born with gold spoons in their mouths. Yeah, that's what the working class needs, more elitist slave masters role models to drive the trickle (lol) down economy that will make us all millionaires.

#MAGA.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    She's not Charles Koch approved.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, how could one of the peasantry have the unmitigated gall to dare slander an aristo's daughter? This shall not stand. Prepare the whipping post!

Get bent, you paternalistic fucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conservatives: You need to pull yourself up by your bootstrap and you will succeed.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: I was a bartender who became a Representative.

Conservatives: *surprised Pikachu*
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Oh you Trumpkins. You are a strange bunch.

First of all most politicians actually brag that they started at such a position in life or the great American story of perhaps their parents where such and such non-skill labor and their kid became a Lawyer/Congressman. Yet, now you crap on a person who had a job and was self-sufficient (remember that whole "Pull yourself up by your bootstrap") ran for office and won.

More to the point you make fun of a person who you can relate to more than any of the Trumps. It may surprise you but I find nepotism and having someone represent the US as an unqualified and actually security clearance in question represent the US.

I'm not an AOC fan but one of the largest attacks is she was a bartender. Amazing how elitists you have become. Especially in our Representative Democracy we allow anyone to represent us in Congress. Remember when we had...gasp; Farmers and Laborers represented us. If you want to argue that some lawyer or doctor is more qualified on the basis of education or knowledge, I guess. They also tend to be people who look out for their own. While AOC may look out for her own in say bartenders, then I hope it translates to living wages, healthcare, etc.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I'm already expecting someone to come in with a "How can she attack Ivanka for being unqualified when she was just a bar tender?"

Because she was elected, her voters selected her to represent them. Ivanka was not elected, she has no training, she went through no interview for employment to obtain her position in our government. She has no place in our government, but she is there because of some horrifically unamerican nepotism.

7+ Year Old Account
    The very concept of her scares the shyt out of them. That a blue collar no body can rise to a position of power. It disrupts the status quo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Trump are made for each other.

Both are from New York. Both have that loud, aggressive style.
    One is a working class representative and the other acts like one.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    One is a working class representative and the other acts like one.
    One calls planting cauliflower instead of yucca in New York a stigmatized colonialism, the other thinks gardening is fake news.

Perfection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?
    I don't understand how people can be so extremely ignorant of their own hypocrisy.
    Link to image.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me. I don't need you to love me, I love me. But I want you to know you could know me if you change your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvalen View Post
    I don't understand how people can be so extremely ignorant of their own hypocrisy.
    Never attribute to ignorance what you can put down to malice, when it comes to these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    One calls planting cauliflower instead of yucca in New York a stigmatized colonialism, the other thinks gardening is fake news.

Perfection.
    Why don’t you link what she actually said? She didn’t say what you claim she did... so... both examples are fake news.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I don 't agree with a lot that AOC stands/crusades for as well as her political beliefs ... but to attempt to ridicule her for having a regular job before politics is really dumb ... literally scraping the bottom to find something to make fun of somebody for

Shame on the right , yet again

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    The very concept of her scares the shyt out of them. That a blue collar no body can rise to a position of power. It disrupts the status quo.
    The scary thing is some of them think Trump is a self-made man who rose from humble beginnings.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The scary thing is some of them think Trump is a self-made man who rose from humble beginnings.
    Can't count all those very many gifts... I mean loans he got from daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by FL4K View Post
    I don 't agree with a lot that AOC stands/crusades for as well as her political beliefs ... but to attempt to ridicule her for having a regular job before politics is really dumb ... literally scraping the bottom to find something to make fun of somebody for

Shame on the right , yet again
    Anti-federalists worry (from before the constitution was ratified) of representatives primarily becoming those of wealth and access and thereby creating a representative body that was out of touch and a de facto aristocracy was on point.