Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Firstly, the United States has a very large population, 3rd largest in the world to be precise.

Show of hands - how many people didn't believe this and looked it up. I thought we weren't even in the top 10.
    still USA cannot hold a candle to top 2, huge margin to the billions+x in india and china.

15+ Year Old Account
    330million, top notch facilties, nutrition and funds to foster great talents are some of the factors.

Still you get shit on if you do a per capita olympic medal list. And you are quite shit on anything regarding skiing.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    330million, top notch facilties, nutrition and funds to foster great talents are some of the factors.

Still you get shit on if you do a per capita olympic medal list. And you are quite shit on anything regarding skiing.
    Uhhhh what you mean Nordic/Cross-country Skiiing? We have more Alpine and Freestyle metals than Norway. By a long shot. Besides Nordic skiing what is Norway good at?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._alpine_skiing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eestyle_skiing
    And you're right we are terrible at Nordic.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2019-07-03 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nordic countries bragging about Nordic skiing is like the US bragging about baseball or basketball. Nobody cares when you succeed where you're supposed to succeed.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You know what sport the US isn't good at?

Target shooting! Lolz.

Guess the NRA sucks at its job.
    I suspect the US has some difficulty in that regard given that regulation Olympic shooting targets generally don't look like minorities or schoolchildren.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Uhhhh what you mean Nordic Skiiing? We have more Alpine and Freestyle metals than Norway. By a long shot. Besides Nordic skiing what is Norway good at?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._alpine_skiing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eestyle_skiing
    And you're right we are terrible at Nordic.
    I guess I ment Cross country and similiar. But yeah, if you look at alpine Norway and US are quite close, but seeing we are 5million people compared to the US on 300+ I would say we are better at producing talent.

Norway is also, considering our size, quite stellar at certain sports like Sailing, Ice skating, Shooting and everything with skiis.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    I guess I ment Cross country and similiar. But yeah, if you look at alpine Norway and US are quite close, but seeing we are 5million people compared to the US on 300+ I would say we are better at producing talent.

Norway is also, considering our size, quite stellar at certain sports like Sailing, Ice skating, Shooting and everything with skiis.
    Those numbers are not a good comparison though. Most of the US doesn't live near good mountains like Norway does.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, when was the last time you scrubs won an Olympic gold medal in hockey? It seems to me like you always got your shit pushed in by Canada when it came to best on best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Nordic countries bragging about Nordic skiing is like the US bragging about baseball or basketball. Nobody cares when you succeed where you're supposed to succeed.
    Basketball isn't an American sport you ingrate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    still USA cannot hold a candle to top 2, huge margin to the billions+x in india and china.
    The only thing China is good at is gymnastics and that's because they put under aged athletes in the Olympics and lie about their age. Or figure skating when the judges tried to rig the voting a few Winter Olympics back

10+ Year Old Account
    Money and culture. The money for top facilities, research, training. Athletes can dedicate everything to their sport. It's a science.

That in turn attracts international athletes to also play/train in the US.

Don't be so down. We technically lost in basketball to Canada, so there's hope for the rest of the world.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Doesn't the US have the most medals at target shooting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...ummer_Olympics
    The US has been sending large teams since the beginning. China has been sending teams since 1984 yet has half as many medals.

Italy sent less shooters in 2016 yet won 7 medals vs the US's 3.

The US should be the dominant Olympic shooting power. Period. Large, very talented teams every event without fail. Yet somehow their performance is unremarkable.

Are you aware the US has never won a medal in the Biathlon? A winter shooting event that the US can't seem to win. You'd figure bootstraps and shooting would be a match made in NRA heaven.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Agreed - we'll never even come close. I was just surprised that we were third.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Have you seen the US as a hockey team, or any other arbitrary sport played around the world. We're terrible. We are only good at a few.
    See what you want to do is only focus on the ones the US is good at and ignore all the others.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    See what you want to do is only focus on the ones the US is good at and ignore all the others.
    I do admit, I only focus on the ones I enjoy. Like boxing, golf. But the US has no monopoly on those.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

They are dominant. I linked the proof of how many more medals they have than anybody else. 2nd place in Shooting isn't even close China (2nd place) has less than half of the medals the US does what more do you want lol.

Also feel free to read post #52 in regards do your random sport nobody cares about.
    You posted a link. You did not read your link. You throw enough shit at a well some of its bound to stick.

The US is also a country over 330 million people with a decent amount of money to spend. There is always someone who cares about something.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Money and culture. The money for top facilities, research, training. Athletes can dedicate everything to their sport. It's a science.

That in turn attracts international athletes to also play/train in the US.

Don't be so down. We technically lost in basketball to Canada, so there's hope for the rest of the world.
    Technically? There was no technically about GSW losing to the Raptors. You sound as salty about it as Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith, two of the biggest douchebags on American TV. Both those clowns make Pierre McGuire, who is a colour guy for the NHL in the USA and happens to be a massive Penguins homer, look like a normal and level headed individual, and he's an idiot too. You don't hear us bitch when an American team wins the Cup with 90% Canadian born players on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Technically? There was no technically about GSW losing to the Raptors. You sound as salty about it as Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith, two of the biggest douchebags on American TV. Both those clowns make Pierre McGuire, who is a colour guy for the NHL in the USA and happens to be a massive Penguins homer, look like a normal and level headed individual, and he's an idiot too. You don't hear us bitch when an American team wins the Cup with 90% Canadian born players on it.
    I'm giving Canada its props. Many would try to 'explain' away it being a Canadian win, saying it's Canadian in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But we are not. How good is the US with Rugby? Or Soccer? I may be wrong, as I do not follow those two sports. But it seems I do not hear about them winning matches in those two.
    I do know non US athletes can compete very well when it comes to golf.
    I don't know about soccer but if we put our best American football players in rugby. They would be pretty competitive. I don't think this will ever happen though because they make too much money at American football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't know about soccer but if we put our best American football players in rugby. They would be pretty competitive. I don't think this will ever happen though because they make too much money at American football.
    Athletes are athletes, they'll do moderately well in any sport you put them in. I'd be curious to see what NFL positions would excel in rugby since NFL positions tend to be very specialized. Maybe TEs, RBs, and LBs?

AFAIK all the teams have the same amount of competing members no? Or do they allow the USA extra turns to compensate them for having more people living in their country?

I'm not even trying to beat my chest with the ''USA USA USA" crap, I live in Mexico after all.
    I'm just saying the numbers speak for themselves...
    No. Read the link. The data is all there. The US sent 20 shooters in 2016. Italy by comparison sent 14 and got 4 more medals.

Interestingly US Women scored all 3 medals for the team. The men got wrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Canada and the Soviet union are the only two countries with more Olympic Titles than the USA in Hockey. You also gotta realize most of the nation doesn't play hockey cause there is literally no outdoor arenas in most of the USA. Only 29 of our 50 states have a single player in the NHL. With over 50% of them coming from 4 states. Hockey is not as big as you think it is. It's nothing compared to Canada.
    Sorry, what? USA has two titltes in the olympics, 1960 and 1980. In the world cup they have two golds, 1933 and 1960.
    Compare that to my coutnry, Sweden, which also has two olympic golds, 1994 and 2006 (so much more recent), but also 11 world cup gold medals.