Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And I'll ignore it, just as I have ignored the rest. The girl they've got playing Ariel is hella cute though, she'll look amazing if they do it right!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Why do you think i was the one who asked for an irish actress in the first place?
    You commented on my post. If you don't care, why quote me?

Shouldn't Little Mermaid supposed to look like a Danish girl, as the original tale is Danish?

Does it matter? If so why? People really need to move past this type of shit.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by 7777 View Post
    Why do you find the casting choice awful?
    I have eyes. It's nonsensical politically-driven casting. If they wanted to make a movie featuring a black singing princess, what was wrong with adapting...

Ariel is synonymous by her look. Well not anymore, and that's fine, Disney's mission is to make everything homogeneous, which begs the question why couldn't Aladdin and Jasmine have been Chinese? Racial identity is important for characters. Reason why we no longer get original stories is because instead of creating a black mermaid character with a new story, it's just easier to change Ariel's look and call it progressive. It's lazy and disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Does it matter? If so why? People really need to move past this type of shit.
    Ill answer your question with a selfquote:

If you read the start of the thread, you would have noticed that i wrote that the little mermaid is inspired in a danish girl.

According to your logic, all characters that not based on real life persons can change to any body format because they are fiction.

So that means you would be ok if Black Panther character could be played by, lets say, Ronda Rousey?
    She is badass, but she would clearly be a miss cast for the black panther main character!
    PS: Do note that for me its not the end of the World. lol
    It feels just a miss in the movie cast. Just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I have eyes. It's nonsensical politically-driven casting. If they wanted to make a movie featuring a black singing princess, what was wrong with adapting...

Ariel is synonymous by her look
    . Well not anymore, and that's fine, Disney's mission is to make everything homogeneous, which begs the question why couldn't Aladdin and Jasmine have been Chinese? Racial identity is important for characters. Reason why we no longer get original stories is because instead of creating a black mermaid character with a new story, it's just easier to change Ariel's look and call it progressive. It's lazy and disingenuous.

I would have thought it was being a mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Well, I was kind of excited about this until I saw the actress. They couldn't get an Irish girl?? I guess Ariel has been spending A LOT of time up on the ocean surface to get that dark of skin... lol so dumb.

Were you trying to be a racist or did you just wander into the racist section of the store?

I would have thought it was being a mermaid.
    Then by your logic, Black Panther can be played by Ethan Hawke. I mean, there are white South Africans. It's about being a superhero, right?

I have eyes.
    I too have eyes. She is a very pretty young lady and apparently can sing very well. So why can't she be the fictional fish person?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you find the casting choice awful?

Any particular reason?
    Because I'm racist and I also think Disney is doing a huge disservice to minorities by treating them as second rate, not worthy of investing the time and effort into creating new compelling characters to be played by them, basically giving them sloppy seconds from white people.

Ill answer your question with a selfquote:

PS: Do note that for me its not the end of the World. lol
    It feels just a miss in the movie cast. Just that.
    Your BP analogy isnt apt though. RACE is KEY to that character and story. Not so with a made up fish girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the start of the thread, you would have noticed that i wrote that the little mermaid is inspired in a danish girl.

According to your logic, all characters that not based on real life persons can change to any body format because they are fiction.

So that means you would be ok if Black Panther character could be played by, lets say, Ronda Rousey?
    She is badass, but she would clearly be a miss cast for the black panther main character!
    You must really have an agenda here. I said fictional creature. Mermaids are not real, do not excist have I made myself clear? Something that are not even a real creature that is part of a story were the color of said creature does not matter in the slightest. Maybe I have missed something in the little mermaid story where it is implied that her being white and redhead is so important, it HAS to be part of the story.

As I said before. Is it a big deal in the story? Yes, in this case it is with T'Challa, and it also makes sense that he is black. Where does he come from? A hidden land in Africa that only the natives knows of. Only natives live there, and what is the color of native africans?

I look forward to the day a asian girl will be cast as black panther.

OT: Halle looks real cute but haven't heard her singing.

There is a huge racial background in the Black Panther character (not gonna bore you with details - you used it just as example - but making the first black superhero- at least in conventional comics- white would have been...weird).

None about the Little Mermaid.

So let's take examples because talking about the sex of angels leads nowhere.

Warner/DC makes a movie about John Stewart Green Lantern ( if you don't know a black guy) and turn him into white ( Fuck Hal Jordan and Kyle and everyone). I don't care.I don't even blink.People outrage? I don't care. It's imposible to put together 1000 people and that none of them are offended about anything.

AMC releases this summer the second seasons of The Horror. This time the show is about a Japanese concentration camp in California during the WWII. The full cast is asian actors. AMC lose the mind and choose a full white ( or black or indian or martian) cast and I do have a problem because it rises the question about why the fuck are they in a concentration camp in the first place with a ghost from the Japanese culture.

I understand there's no political motivations in this discussion ( Right? ) so focusing in a creative aspect we need to ask ourselves if the race is part of the story or not.

I don't give a rat ass about Ariel color.It's not part of the story (fuck, Ursula is gray/purple/blue). She could be white,black,asian,indian, blue ( she is a mermaid after all) and the character would be the same so in this non-political dicussion at all I don't see how her color undermines the narrative.

I too have eyes. She is a very pretty young lady and apparently can sing very well. So why can't she be the fictional fish person?
    There is no shortage of pretty young ladies that can sing in Hollywood. I personally would have cast Sabrina Carpenter, but I wouldn't make casting choices based on anything other than what I feel would be faithful to the source material on every level, and yes, that does include visuals.

Then by your logic, Black Panther can be played by Ethan Hawke. I mean, there are white South Africans. It's about being a superhero, right?
    I dont have an issue with a non african being cast in a typical african role, assuming that race/color is not integral to the character. Black Panthers race is part of his character. Ariels is not. Rhody/Warmachine on the other hand, his race is not important to the character so a recast there would be of no issue, to me. IM sure lots of folks would be upset there though. ANd I would think THEY were wrong too.

There is no shortage of pretty young ladies that can sing in Hollywood. I personally would have cast Sabrina Carpenter, but I wouldn't make casting choices based on anything other than what I feel would be faithful to the source material on every level, and yes, that does include visuals.
    I don't think there are a lot of women even in Hollywood that have fish tails or are 2D.

Your BP analogy isnt apt though. RACE is KEY to that character and story. Not so with a made up fish girl.
    isnt BP also a "made up" a marvel hero?
    The "made up fish girl" is inspired in Danish girls btw.

But as i said, it is not the end of the world. It is just my opinion.

I dont have an issue with a non african being cast in a typical african role, assuming that race/color is not integral to the character. Black Panthers race is part of his character. Ariels is not. Rhody/Warmachine on the other hand, his race is not important to the character so a recast there would be of no issue, to me. IM sure lots of folks would be upset there though. ANd I would think THEY were wrong too.
    Why is Black Panther's race integral to his character? There are white Africans. Wakanda is fictional. It depicts a futuristic African nation that doesn't concretely establish what one African country's peoples and culture it inspired, it can be any, including South Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there are a lot of women even in Hollywood that have fish tails or are 2D.
    My bad, I forgot Halle Bailey has a fish tail and is 2-dimensional. She's perfect for the role.

isnt BP also a "made up" a marvel hero?
    The "made up fish girl" is inspired in Danish girls btw.

But as i said, it is not the end of the world. It is just my opinion.
    Is race KEY to the story? The Black Panthers race IS key to that story. How is Ariels race important to the STORY? If you cant see how your analogy is not apples to apples....I guess we are at an impasse.