Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Sorry, you don't get to decide that.
    Ariel is a redhead merfolk of white skin. That's what her iconic established look is, and that's what should be portrayed.
    You're right. I don't get to decide that.

Disney does.

And Disney already made changes to the character and the story when they first made the animated movie.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The thread has been warned multiple times to not devolve into a discussion about race. This subforum is not for that. Continued breaking of this rule will result in more infractions.

I'm not gonna watch any single Disney movie ever again. Aladdin looks trash. Lion King they got rid off Jeremy Irons as Scar for some black dude just for the sake of having all the lions voiced by black people. Now Ariel is black. Fuck that shit. Mark my words at some point in the future they will purposely try to get rid off original Disney cartoons for the sake of these remakes being the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I agree with you on this.

I think the same thing about Marvel changing the race/genders/whatever of their original characters.

They should leave their original characters alone and create new ones! I'm sure with imagination lots of new brilliant stories can be made.
    Which characteristics should be protected from change?

Let's take the Joker as an example.

He's been depicted a number of times in film but all those incarnations are wildly different characters, with wildly different goals, origins, motivations and relationships with the other characters. Which is the TRUE Joker? which character should be called the Joker and which should have been renamed so as to be 'new' characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You're right. I don't get to decide that.

Disney does.

And Disney already made changes to the character and the story when they first made the animated movie.
    So long you understand that the "only merfolk" notion you brought is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by 7777 View Post
    And now you see how silly ya complains have been
    The silliness of the discussion is reflected by the silliness of the casting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The thread has been warned multiple times to not devolve into a discussion about race. This subforum is not for that. Continued breaking of this rule will result in more infractions.
    I suggest you close this thread then, because people are just comparing the difference between the new reboot and the original Disney cartoon.

This would also stop the infractions to the people of one side of the discussion (because the other side isn't receiving anything)

How about adding it in OP and in Thread title, genius. What good is a "warning" added on some random page? But nice selective infractions... not handing it to others carrying on discussing it of those "not caring" for it.

Here, let me help you with the title:

[Movie] The Little Mermaid (Live Action Reboot) *MOD WARNING*
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-07-04 at 05:17 PM.

Your white hetero sexual male avatar is offending me. Please change it now.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-07-04 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    So long you understand that the "only merfolk" notion you brought is irrelevant.
    Well, it would seem to me that having a mermaid in a movie called "the little mermaid" is pretty important. I would say that Ariel being a merfolk is absolutely vital to the story.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder if they are going to go the route of the full copy and paste of the Disney movie or do they have the balls to go into the original source material. Maybe if Don Bluth made Little Mermaid but I would still like Disney to change the story from their 1989 adaptation and go a different route and treat their audiences like adults.

I love the original Disney movie, but I don't wanna go to see the same scene from scene remaking of that movie, thats where a lot of the other movie remakes or re-imaginings failed. I want to see something new, show us the real story in all it's gory detail :P

I think kids these days can take it...
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-04 at 05:23 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The silliness of the discussion is reflected by the silliness of the casting choice.
    *round of applause*

Not even joking, spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I do wonder if they are going to go the route of the full copy and paste of the Disney movie or do they have the balls to go into the original source material. Maybe if Don Bluth made Little Mermaid but I would still like Dieney to change the story from their 1989 animated movie direction and go a different route and treat their audiences like adults.
    But a very significant portion of their audience are not adults. That's why they made the changes to the story in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 7777 View Post
    And now you see how silly ya complains have been
    How do you manage to keep your 7777 posts all the time, btw?
    You keep deleting old posts to maintain your lucky number?

10+ Year Old Account
    But a very significant portion of their audience are not adults. That's why they made the changes to the story in the first place.
    If Don Bluth can crush my childhood with feels so can Disney :P

This scene messed me up as a kid lol

Plus even Disney have proved they can really teach kids about sadness and loss, Up and the ending to Toy Story three proves that. I even think that forest scene in Snow White was terrifying as a kid lol.

Nothing wrong with a bit of hard emotion :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-04 at 05:31 PM.

Stunning and brave.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Which characteristics should be protected from change?

Let's take the Joker as an example.

He's been depicted a number of times in film but all those incarnations are wildly different characters, with wildly different goals, origins, motivations and relationships with the other characters. Which is the TRUE Joker? which character should be called the Joker and which should have been renamed so as to be 'new' characters?
    Why can't the Joker remain exactly as he has always been, instead of being replaced by someone else that acquires the Joker name as well? that is what marvel is doing (and DC as well, as you are saying): making different people becoming the same hero(s). I don't like the concept of "different incarnations" of the same hero / villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    If Don Bluth can crush my childhood with feels so can Disney :P

This scene messed me up as a kid lol

Plus even Disney have proved they can really teach kids about sadness and loss, Up and the ending to Toy Story three proves that. I even think that forest scene in Snow White was terrifying as a kid lol.

Nothing wrong with a bit of hard emotion :P
    Yeah, Little Mermaid is a lot darker than Snow White and sadder than Up or TS3. Little Mermaid is bleak as fuck. Not really "scary"...just...depressing. Like "You will never get credit for the good things you do and you will die alone and unloved"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Little Mermaid is a lot darker than Snow White and sadder than Up or TS3. Little Mermaid is bleak as fuck. Not really "scary"...just...depressing. Like "You will never get credit for the good things you do and you will die alone and unloved"
    I know, but they can dial it back slightly, just not that far lol, just take away the gory stuff take away some of the really bleak undertones and depressing parts (we don't need to see her sewing her legs together when she is human, it doesn't need to be constantly depressing like the book.. Find a good in-between basically :P

I kind of felt the 1989 adaptation was a bit too far into the pleasing side. And thats no knock on the movie, I loved the 1989 movie. I just wanna see something a little different a little more risky. :P

If I remember there was a cartoon on the 70's that handled a really darker version that balanced the line pretty well.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-04 at 05:48 PM.

There's literally one thing that may come from this that would be good/decent and that's more music from Lin Manuel. Everything else is shareholder bait.