Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yes, 2133 stock - was the first things i touched coupled with CPU voltage to be sure that everything was in line and wasn't screwing things up. I think that's the main reason honestly, at worst i think something on the mobo was faulty. Once they get the ram replaced, we'll see what happens.

First blue screen seemed mostly related to GPU - never reappeared after i stopped the NVidia services. Same for the power error, fixed by setting a flat CPU voltage that's in line with the specifics. Now this IRQL error that i have usually seen with faulty memory sticks - and you give me a very likely solution. I'm pretty confident honestly.
    I've been having AMD drivers crashing on my system until I took the Hynix memory out. I've even posted on AMD's website because a lot of people have the same problem, including Intel and AMD FX owners. My hypothesis is that Hynix made a bad batch of memory and aren't telling anyone. I was also dealing with a weekly BSOD until I swapped my ASRock motherboard for the MSI Tomahawk, and that went away. Though that problem may not be related to yours as ASRock is a shit motherboard manufacturer.

Swap the memory first and if that fails get another motherboard, but avoid ASRock. I know there's the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F which I hear is kinda badass as it has a plethora of VRM's. You might wanna try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    -snip-
    Thanks for the tips - though i'd need a uATX mobo since the case is a smaller one. I actually have a STRIX in my system (though i'm running Intel) and i know they're fine. I could go with a ITX too since, again, it's a baseline machine so when you have 2 slots for ram, a pcie for the gpu and an m2 slot it's fine.

The machine doesn't literally need to do anything more than light gaming and light video/photo editing at a reasonable pace - because the kid who's using it is going to a graphic school and uses it for homework. So baseline is that it needs to work extreme performance is more than secondary.

EDIT: is there a way to check what chips are on a ram before buying? Just to avoid Hynix again.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips - though i'd need a uATX mobo since the case is a smaller one. I actually have a STRIX in my system (though i'm running Intel) and i know they're fine. I could go with a ITX too since, again, it's a baseline machine so when you have 2 slots for ram, a pcie for the gpu and an m2 slot it's fine.

The machine doesn't literally need to do anything more than light gaming and light video/photo editing at a reasonable pace - because the kid who's using it is going to a graphic school and uses it for homework. So baseline is that it needs to work extreme performance is more than secondary.

EDIT: is there a way to check what chips are on a ram before buying? Just to avoid Hynix again.
    Well there are a couple ways you can make educated guesses.
    If you know what chips/dies/bins are capable of doing what clocks, you can usually make a decent guess as to who makes the chips on the stick. But that usually only works on higher-end memory.

You could also buy Crucial memory. They're pretty much exclusively using Micron chips (and Samsung B-die on high end) since they're a subsidiary of Micron

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to figure that out myself. Best thing you can do is read reddit and forum posts to see which memory isn't Hynix. What you want is Samsung B-Die. Here's a tool I found that will help.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Not really. You could kind of figure out which ICs they're using if you're buying highend memory, but for the mid-lowend range it's kind of a tossup. Buying Crucial is actually not a bad advice, you can pretty much count on getting Micron chips if you're buying anything but super highend.

- - - Updated - - -

I was also dealing with a weekly BSOD until I swapped my ASRock motherboard for the MSI Tomahawk, and that went away. Though that problem may not be related to yours as ASRock is a shit motherboard manufacturer.

Swap the memory first and if that fails get another motherboard, but avoid ASRock. I know there's the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F which I hear is kinda badass as it has a plethora of VRM's. You might wanna try that.
    This sounds like a straight up negative marketing. ASRock is by far the best for anything memory related on B350. I've build like 20 systems on mATX and ATX versions of Pro4, never had any problems. MSI pulls ahead on X470/B450 but it depends if you can find them cheap.

ASUS has their own set of problems. 1) Overpriced same as MSI 2) XMP issues. This shit has been going on since Z87, and they never fixed it. It comes up on all of their boards.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I'm trying to figure that out myself. Best thing you can do is read reddit and forum posts to see which memory isn't Hynix. What you want is Samsung B-Die. Here's a tool I found that will help.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
    Thanks, definitely useful. I suppose then only high-quality ram = more expensive ones will have a guarantee to be a B-die. Just because the Flare X have a 2400mhz option that's just perfect (more then enough to work and cheap enough).

If i wasn't budget constricted, it would be much easier and probably would go directly with a new mobo aswell.

Well, B-die is also going away completely. Samsung is torpedo'ing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, definitely useful. I suppose then only high-quality ram = more expensive ones will have a guarantee to be a B-die. Just because the Flare X have a 2400mhz option that's just perfect (more then enough to work and cheap enough).

If i wasn't budget constricted, it would be much easier and probably would go directly with a new mobo aswell.
    Try Crucial sticks, they should be micron
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Which just seems weird.. It's great. They should axe E-die

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Which just seems weird.. It's great. They should axe E-die
    It's not weird. They dont care about highend desktop memory, they care about server memory that is high capacity and cheaper to produce.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This sounds like a straight up negative marketing. ASRock is by far the best for anything memory related on B350. I've build like 20 systems on mATX and ATX versions of Pro4, never had any problems. MSI pulls ahead on X470/B450 but it depends if you can find them cheap.
    From my experience ASRock is shit. That's me putting it nicely. When I had an AMD FX system I had bought a ASRock 970 motherboard but it had the 770 chipset. Me being lazy I thought this motherboard called a 970 had a 970 chipset. Yes I was lazy and didn't check to see if the board had the chipset it was named after, but still deceptive of ASRock. Also the ASRock AB350 Pro4 has no ability to increase the voltage for the SOC, which maybe the reason why so many ASRock B350 motherboards as unstable. They do have a section in the BIOS that you can enter the hexadecimal for the SOC voltage but it doesn't work. People have confirmed this as well as myself. It does work on the X370 and higher motherboards but mysteriously the B350's can't increase the SOC voltage.

Besides my experience there's a plethora of information of people unable to get these motherboards stable and how overclocking on ASRock boards is awful. Oh, and the ASRock B350 boards all have the same VRM configuration of 3x3 VRM's, where the MSI Tomahawk is a 4x2 which means 4 VRM's for the CPU and 2 for the SOC/iGPU. The ASRock B350's are the weakest VRM setup of all the B350 motherboards.
    ASUS has their own set of problems. 1) Overpriced same as MSI 2) XMP issues. This shit has been going on since Z87, and they never fixed it. It comes up on all of their boards.
    I don't know about ASUS since I haven't bought one in more than 10 years. I have experience with ASRock, Gigabyte, and MSI. Gigabyte I like their build quality a lot but their XMP and BIOS overall is kinda awful. Ask me about running Linux on a AMD FX Gigabyte motherboard and getting all USB ports working. My experience with MSI is with this Tomahawk and Z170 motherboards and so far I like them a lot. The BIOS is not as up to date as ASUS and ASRock is with AMD Ryzen stuff, but it's stable and has working features in the BIOS. Much easier to use BIOS as well, and nothing that requires me to enter a hexadecimal value like ASRock does. It has better USB 3.1 support than the ASRock board, and more audio connectors than the ASRock board. The MSI board is loaded with features that the ASRock board was missing, and both boards cost the same for me.

Ultimately what matters to me is stability and MSI won that battle, no if's and's or but's. My second choice would be the Asus b350 prime as many people swear by these boards, but I choose MSI Tomahawk because for a B350 it does very well in overclocking. Some of the top overclocks have been done on this board, so that says something.

Ok, another update for who still is following, apparently the latest tweaks to the bios from some posts ago solved the issue. Apart a random BSOD (which i attributed to ram following the tips but i didn't have any proof about, since i didn't had time to replace the ram to try).

The kid is using the system as usual - gaming and working with the Adobe suite for like 8 hours/day or more and the machine simply stopped doing anything and everything runs stable. I'm still not convinced about "everything magically resolved" beacause we all know it doesn't work like that, so i'll just keep in touch with the guy. I have a set of Kinston memory to replace meanwhile they buy the new ram (they didn't buy it on Amazon like any sane person so i'm not gonna go through the hassle of it because they didn't follow my advice).

Thanks everyone for the tips. If anything i had confirmation from many of you that i was watching at the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Why lol. Fortunately i bought already my Corsair Vengeance Pro.

When I had an AMD FX system I had bought a ASRock 970 motherboard but it had the 770 chipset.
    They were shit back then. But that was 10 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, another update for who still is following, apparently the latest tweaks to the bios from some posts ago solved the issue. Apart a random BSOD (which i attributed to ram following the tips but i didn't have any proof about, since i didn't had time to replace the ram to try).
    I'd like to know what tweaks were done to the memory.

I'd like to know what tweaks were done to the memory.
    Nothing apart disabling the XMP profile and make so it runs stock.

May be exactly the issue you said - a SOC voltage increase is needed to make it run at 3000 generating instability.

May be exactly the issue you said - a SOC voltage increase is needed to make it run at 3000 generating instability.
    Never heard about increasing SoC voltage generating instability. It's SoC voltage, not memory voltage.

10+ Year Old Account

You stability not stability? Increasing voltage should make it stable, unless you cook the chip. AMD does recommend increasing the SOC voltage for certain memory configurations, including 4 sticks of memory to run at 1.1v for the SOC.

Maybe it was badly wording - i was saying that running the 3000 XMP profile WITHOUT increasing the SOC voltage was generating instability. Running memory stock with no SOC voltage increase looks to be stable aswell.

I have been busy but I remembered seeing this thread when I updated my BIOS yesterday. A couple of comments that may help you.

There is an application called DRAM Calculator for Ryzen by 1usmus. He has done all of the calculations and puts together a set of timing and voltage recommendations for your RAM based on the type and speed of the memory. It's quite good. His later versions include a memory test but that version of the software doesn't run on my machine.

Some of the early Ryzen's have a manufacturing fault. This can manifest itself on Windows from time to time but it's much easier to detect on Linux. Do some searching for Ryzen SegFault. There is a test script out there that will pick up the problem. When I tested my processor (R5 1600) it failed so I sent it in and they replaced it with a R7 1700. I haven't had a single problem on the new one. It's a problem that sometimes occurs on Ryzen's that were manufactured in week 25 and earlier. It can occur in new first gen Ryzens but it's far less likely. You could be seeing a manifestation of this problem on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I have been busy but I remembered seeing this thread when I updated my BIOS yesterday. A couple of comments that may help you.

There is an application called DRAM Calculator for Ryzen by 1usmus. He has done all of the calculations and puts together a set of timing and voltage recommendations for your RAM based on the type and speed of the memory. It's quite good. His later versions include a memory test but that version of the software doesn't run on my machine.

Some of the early Ryzen's have a manufacturing fault. This can manifest itself on Windows from time to time but it's much easier to detect on Linux. Do some searching for Ryzen SegFault. There is a test script out there that will pick up the problem. When I tested my processor (R5 1600) it failed so I sent it in and they replaced it with a R7 1700. I haven't had a single problem on the new one. It's a problem that sometimes occurs on Ryzen's that were manufactured in week 25 and earlier. It can occur in new first gen Ryzens but it's far less likely. You could be seeing a manifestation of this problem on Windows.
    That's VERY nice to know. Will check immediately.

For now RAM has been replaced with GSKill Flare X (which should be ryzen designed) hence should make things better anyway.

That's VERY nice to know. Will check immediately.

For now RAM has been replaced with GSKill Flare X (which should be ryzen designed) hence should make things better anyway.
    I have G.Skill Flare X 3200 ram (14-14-14-34). I can only run it at 2933 but my system is rock solid since the CPU was swapped out.