Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you like your given name?

The one your parents picked? If you got to pick your own name today, what would you decide?

Me- I love my given name, but I won't say it publicly because it's too unusual. If I had to PICK my name, I'd probably go with Rainy or Kathleen, or Mina.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

no not really... the last name also sucks ass. i'd prefer something short and simple. maybe i'll change both at some time but to what i dunno.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I have a short and common name, and a short and recognisable last name. I really like the way they sound and how non country specific they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    I guess it's okay considering all the "unique" names being given out now. I'd probably kill my parents if they named me after a fantasy character or some stupid name like Abcde.
    My mom named me after an obscure Star Trek character, a few added letters. I like it tbh, and it's a fun story for me to tell.
    S (moderator)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave it to me myself. So yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I gave it to me myself. So yes.
    Out of curiosity, did you pick a name you loved, or one that was close to original name? Or both?
    S (moderator)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

15+ Year Old Account
    My name is hard for foreigners. I don't understand how a double consonant is that impossible (<- look, there's even a double consonant in that word) for them to pronounce.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you pick a name you loved, or one that was close to original name? Or both?
    The former. But I feel more like the name chose me, as it was kinda floating around in my mind all the time. ^^

My dad wanted all 3 of his kids to have Irish names since his family is Irish. So I ended up with an anglicized version of an Irish name.

I like it well enough, but if I were to change my name it'd probably be to the proper Irish spelling and pronunciation of it.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2019-07-05 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    My name is hard for foreigners. I don't understand how a double consonant is that impossible (<- look, there's even a double consonant in that word) for them to pronounce.
    Mikko? Jukka? I can sort of see why it can be hard when they don't have them. Impossible has double consonant when written but it's pronounced with length of one. Vowels are even more fucked up in English considering you can't even tell how one of them is pronounced in a word without prior knowledge. You can always make educated guess.

As for my personal name I don't mind it. If i went to Norwich I guess I would be popular with just the name alone.
    Last edited by luc54; 2019-07-05 at 01:56 PM.

Not enough to have kept it. I changed it. It surprises me how few people change their names, considering how many people are given absurdly ridiculous names by their parents these days, and how extremely easy it is to change it. Took all of 5 minutes. Filled a short form, turned it in and paid 30 odd euros, and that was it. Next step was to get IDs, cards and subscriptions etc changed by phone calls. To put that into work days perspective, one would be done with all of that before morning coffee break, or lunch at the latest. In short, it barely even took effort.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No and i'm planning to change it. Especially hate the fact that it was my father who picked it and the reasoning, too.
    Space magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a name, Im indifferent to it for the most part

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    Mikko? Jukka?
    Nope! My name has tt.

As for my personal name I don't mind it. If i went to Norwhich I guess I would be popular with just the name alone.
    It's Norwich.

Hi Teemu.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

im actually fine with my given and my surname.

i like that so many nicknames can derive from it, and every circle of friends/coworkers/family uses another one.

my first name is "Benjamin".

If it's good enough for Van Cleef...

Growing up always found it funny when people would say "As in Edwin (insert famous Edwin here, van der Saar/Collins/Starr)" and I'd have to reply "Well, I don't know who that is but yes"

Wasn't until my 20s when someone pointed out Buzz Aldrin's original name was Edwin (he legally changed it late 80s to Buzz), so that's pretty cool too
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

5+ Year Old Account
    No, I've always hated my name.

1. I hate the idea of being named after someone and I was named after my mom's friend who she never talks to anymore.
    2. I just hate how it sounds and all the resulting nicknames make me want to cringe.
    3. No one can say or spell it correctly.
    4. I think it sounds trashy and some women who knew my mom used it to create their own "unique" trashier variants.
    5. It doesn't even mean anything. Which I wouldn't mind if she at least came up with it, but she just used the name of someone she wasn't that close to.

As for what I'd change it to? I don't know, I feel weird about changing my name even if I really hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Nope! My name has tt.

It's Norwich.

Hi Teemu.
    oh It's Matti then. I can see that easily turning into Mati. Even in our close relatives across the sea it's Mati instead of with two ts.

Also fuck English place names, pronunciation is even weirder for places. Like say Greenwich. It has Green in it but it sounds like grenich.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Mittä? ������������������
    Mitä or what has only one T though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    oh It's Matti then. I can see that easily turning into Mati.
    It's not Matti!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's fine. As a bonus my initials are LSD, so that's something.

Kinda wanna change my last name to something I can get a domain name for though, so I can get a better email address