Just finished. Jesus Christ it's the best FF story ever. I was taken aback by the nuance. I only have a few quibbles.

I think they made Emet too over the top in the Stormblood post quests. He's like the Joker. I think it cheapened the nuance and more human Emet we got in Shadowbringers, which had just the right amount of being glib.

I didn't appreciate the "fake out" plot twist where the Exarch acts like he was using you for his own ends all along and was actually evil, only for Urianger to chime in and be like "Just kidding, he's still a good guy". Cheapened what felt like would have been a more powerful moment.

For that matter, his identity was too left of field for it to have been a shocking plot twist. This was a guy with a minor part in realm reborn over half a decade ago. I didn't get it until Emet's lines after the fact.

How the hell did the Warrior of Darkness not recognize the Exarch's voice?

That's it for the quirks I had. If I have one question about the story, who was it from Emet's past our character and the other WoL were fractured pieces of? His wife?

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I did, but only after completing Qitana Ravel. The other two had the usual chearing animation. Makes sense, I suppose, since that's about the point in the plot where they introduce the idea that the Light is corrupting the player.
    Yeah but the animation is still there even after the conclusion of the MSQ.
    I guess events really took a toll this time.
    Poor kitty. I guess the days of light hearted "exciting craving adventure" are over. We're into sth. deeper and darker now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    How the hell did the Warrior of Darkness not recognize the Exarch's voice?
    Simple: This was a guy with a minor part in realm reborn over half a decade ago.

Also, no it is stated by Hythlodaeus in Amaurot that Emets demeanor is a facade. That in fact the burdens weigh heavily on him. So I think him being the joker and overdoing his act is quite fitting b/c he tries to not only convince us but himself.

The Exarch lied on purpose, because G'raha Tia knows full well that we would try to stop him if we knew he was going to kamikaze. So he basically lied and said "I need the energy to travel". Urianger explains this later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yes, you only get that option when you have done that sidequest.
    Makes it that much better tbh. That was insanely emotional

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I'm skeptical.

I'm inclined to think his video backfired on him and he's trying to evade blame for straight up lying about the game. Even his Tweet is just another thinly veiled insult - but many 'journalists' and 'reviewers' are hacks to begin with so...

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    I'm skeptical.

I'm inclined to think his video backfired on him and he's trying to evade blame for straight up lying about the game. Even his Tweet is just another thinly veiled insult - but many 'journalists' and 'reviewers' are hacks to begin with so...
    Yeah, a lot of people seem to have the same thoughts on that matter, that it simply backfired on him with the ratio and then he chose to delete it, lmao.
    A quick check on google / twitter / YT and you would've seen this was not the case at all anywhere. He's straight up being caught lying there.

I'm skeptical.

I'm inclined to agree. He's kind of a wet blanket with a churlish/bitchy attitude, getting ratio'd and pulling the death threat card is the social media version of 'my little brother was using the keyboard while i was afk!'

wouldn't really surprise me if he did get it.. ffxiv fans can be quite rabid when it comes to criticsm.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I'm skeptical.

I'm not holding him in high regard either, but I do think that video was mostly justified (despite having some serious errors) and I've been called names by general playerbase for less harsh opinions.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Makes it that much better tbh. That was insanely emotional
    Yeah, I couldn't hold back my tears as well.

Thinking of picking up the complete bundle today.

Is there a way to recap the FFXIV story up to this point ingame? I honestly barely remember any of it and may have even ignored most it it.

Also thanks for the tips about what class to play, I think I'm going Red Mage.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Is there a way to recap the FFXIV story up to this point ingame? I honestly barely remember any of it and may have even ignored most it it.
    In your story journal there's 'Complete' button that brings up descriptions of every quest you've completed with subcategories for MSQ. You can also rewatch cinematics in your inn room.
    Looking for Raid.

In your story journal there's 'Complete' button that brings up descriptions of every quest you've completed with subcategories for MSQ. You can also rewatch cinematics in your inn room.
    Thanks, The cinematics was the part I was wondering.

Now ill get to play thought all of the last expansion and then current one LOL.

Kinda just want a MMO I can live in and casually play, FFXIV fits that bill and I honestly miss playing it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-07-06 at 05:42 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he really did get those death threats. Plenty of people in FF14 community are nice as long as you agree w/ what most people are saying about the game, as soon as you start disagreeing things may go south really fast. Some fans are extremely overprotective and can't see the game being criticised w/o getting tilted, like seriously tilted...

Basically, if you don't have anything nice to say, unless it's about the class design and prob ARR levelling because YoshiP agreed that it's shit at this point :V, just don't say anything.
    Last edited by ls-; 2019-07-06 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he really did get those death threats. Plenty of people in FF14 community are nice as long as you agree w/ what most people are saying about the game, as soon as you start disagreeing things may go south really fast. Some fans are extremely overprotective and can't see the game being criticised w/o getting tilted.

Basically, if you don't have anything nice to say, unless it's about the class design and prob ARR levelling because YoshiP agreed that it's shit at this point :V, just don't say anything.
    (I have Read the last few pages to catch up on this)

The thing is the internet itself is Toxic and the Toxic part is the most loud. Him thinking that the small Toxic part of FFXIV represents the community as a whole or majority is wrong.

Each MMO/Online Game has that group of people, Ignore them and move on. From what I can tell it seems like he made a clickbait video, Got backlash for it and now is hiding behind the "Toxic" excuse.

Honestly if he can't handle dealing with the toxic part of the internet he shouldn't do youtube videos at all. Report/Block those people and move on. He also could have just disabled comments for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    (I have Read the last few pages to catch up on this)

The thing is the internet itself is Toxic and the Toxic part is the most loud. Him thinking that the small Toxic part of FFXIV represents the community as a whole or majority is wrong.

Each MMO/Online Game has that group of people, Ignore them and move on. From what I can tell it seems like he made a clickbait video, Got backlash for it and now is hiding behind the "Toxic" excuse.

Honestly if he can't handle dealing with the toxic part of the internet he shouldn't do youtube videos at all. Report/Block those people and move on. He also could have just disabled comments for the video.
    The problem here is that FF14 community is self-proclaimed nicest MMO community.

His video wasn't really a clickbait, I can't stand him, he has no patience whatsoever, which is also weird since he mainly plays asian (korean) games O_o, but I understand where he's coming from. Levelling, it's earlier part in particular is a slog, and he didn't care about the lore, he's a person who's interested in the gameplay, the story is at the bottom of his list. Many believe that such people shouldn't be playing FF14 since it's very story driven. Most of the comments under his video could be boiled down to "playing an FF game and ignoring its story, lul :V".

All I'm saying is that it's naive to think that there's no death threats or anything like that

5+ Year Old Account
    'Influencers' are almost always narcissists. He likely made a video on FFXIV since it's seen a lot of attention lately yet he clearly doesn't understand the core appeal of the game and he's impatient enough to not bother giving it an objective, thorough look. Many comments on his video were civil and pointed out that he was being deceptive and the number of dislikes reflected that.

Then, conveniently, the video is deleted to hide how much it backfired and now he's making smug comments about receiving death threats. Which is a horrible thing to happen but is also often something used as an excuse online to try and deflect attention and blame elsewhere.

Even if they did happen, it still doesn't change the fact that he's a hack. I don't like FPS games. So I wouldn't go and review one because I know my bias would get in the way. If he doesn't like story driven games then he simply shouldn't be reviewing story driven games. It isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    All I'm saying is that it's naive to think that there's no death threats or anything like that
    I don't disagree because we are on the internet and that's a thing.

But to think they represent even a decent part of the FFXIV community is false. Also to add there isn't really any proof the people posting those threats even play FFXIV.

Like usual it can be people just trolling.

So with that said if he really believed in this Opinion/Review, Why take the video down? Why not just disable comments or ban people from posting. That to me is why it seems like it was intended to be click bait.

You can post a video with truth's in it (like the beginning leveling being a slog) and it still be click bait. There was zero reason to remove the video if he truly believed in everything he said.

Also Yes if you play FFXIV and don't care about the story you will have a hard time. For the longest I didn't and honestly for me that may not change much when I start playing again later. But I love the gameplay and visuals enough to still enjoy it.

But a vast amount of people won't be that way. I'm honestly going to try to dig into the story more this time around but that's me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like FPS games. So I wouldn't go and review one because I know my bias would get in the way. If he doesn't like story driven games then he simply shouldn't be reviewing story driven games. It isn't rocket science.
    Yep this is the long short of it.

You don't send a guy who only play's Madden to review Dragon Quest.

'Influencers' are almost always narcissists. He likely made a video on FFXIV since it's seen a lot of attention lately yet he clearly doesn't understand the core appeal of the game and he's impatient enough to not bother giving it an objective, thorough look. Many comments on his video were civil and pointed out that he was being deceptive and the number of dislikes reflected that.

Then, conveniently, the video is deleted to hide how much it backfired and now he's making smug comments about receiving death threats. Which is a horrible thing to happen but is also often something used as an excuse online to try and deflect attention and blame elsewhere.

Even if they did happen, it still doesn't change the fact that he's a hack. I don't like FPS games. So I wouldn't go and review one because I know my bias would get in the way. If he doesn't like story driven games then he simply shouldn't be reviewing story driven games. It isn't rocket science.
    Problem is not in story driven aspect, but in amount of filler quests and pointless text walls, coupled with little to no action aside from some mandatory dungeons and trials. I'm pretty sure 2.X alone has more text than entire FF6, it doesn't mean it has more plot or better plot. Even Shadowbringers has that to some extent with all the "go check those useless people in every settlement after arrival" crap.
    Last edited by Rogalicus; 2019-07-06 at 06:22 PM.
    Looking for Raid.

Problem is not in story driven aspect, but in amount of filler quests and pointless text walls, coupled with little to no action aside from some mandatory dungeons and trials. I'm pretty sure 2.X alone has more text than entire FF6, it doesn't mean it has more plot or better plot. Even Shadowbringers has that to some extent with all the "go check those useless people in every settlement after arrival" crap.
    TBF, I've been playing FF14 for like 4 years, and I've never cared about its story. I play it for trading, crafting, some casual raiding, and, most importantly, making my char look pretteh :3. It's fairly easy to quest in FF14 w/ my brain off, I've never felt that I'm missing out on anything because the story is of no importance to me. And as for its dull early questing, I grew up playing early MMOs where the normal way of levelling was mob grinding and not questing, and quests were like got there, kill 750 mobs, come back, turn it in, and then get another quest to kill 1k mobs Nothing can be more dull and unimaginative than that, but my brain is already off while questing, so w/e...

I dunno why people are saying that you must enjoy FF14's story to enjoy the game, it's not a must, but it depends on what type of a gamer you are, I guess... T_T