10+ Year Old Account

Know what'd fix Arcane Mages mana depletion problem?

Mana gems! They should put those back in the game, make them only for arcane mages and have them increase mana based by how many arcane charges you have built up. Thoughts?

Well I'm no mage dev but I think the mana management is rather intended, so, such ideas would defeat the concept.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should make mana management a thing again yes.

For Arcane, mana management is kinda the point of the whole spec so while I'd want gems and stuff back anyway, just returning them for Arcane seems pointless.
    As Justpassing says, they would defeat the concept of Arcane as a playstyle.
    Speciation Is Gradual

To be honest, if the Mana Gem was a CD rather than a consumable, and restored a static percentage of Mana (e.g. 30%) and replaced evocation I’d totally be onboard with it.

First of, it would be instant and not a channel, secondly because it doesn’t refill all your mana, you have some flexibility when using it instead of burning all mana to zero.

If you ever did OOM, you could settle into a” restore” phase which might be less than 4 charges before Barrage.

The whole spec would need some minor tweaking, but I’ve never been a fan of Evocation as in combat mana regen, slipstream makes it ok, but we’re turrety enough as is so having our own mana pot with a 60 sec CD (for example) I think could add more complexity while adding some QoL.

My 2c anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mana Gems were always the mages equivalent of Healthstones but instead of health it was mana regain, I always liked them, but they did become obsolete at a point, I guess they can be brought back if Arcane Mages are built around them in a way or at least altered the gems in some way.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Mana Gems were always the mages equivalent of Healthstones but instead of health it was mana regain, I always liked them, but they did become obsolete at a point, I guess they can be brought back if Arcane Mages are built around them in a way or at least altered the gems in some way.
    they didn't become obsolete, it was the fact that they were 'unique' and 'niche' and we can't have that in WoW, gotta be unified with no class identity otherwise you are considered OP, see rogues and cloak of shadows in more modern times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

they didn't become obsolete, it was the fact that they were 'unique' and 'niche' and we can't have that in WoW, gotta be unified with no class identity otherwise you are considered OP, see rogues and cloak of shadows in more modern times.
    Well there is that too, personally I miss loads those sort of abilities, like Amplify Magic and Dampen Magic, Focus Magic. Personally I am of the belief that Blizzard should never remove spells just improve on them. Seems like every expansion Blizzard try and rebuild the classes rather than building on them.

If I were to create a list of spells Blizzard have removed from mages over the years, it'll be bigger than all the spells in our spellbook :P

(note to self: future topic)
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-06 at 09:51 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

What problem? Mana management is the core idea of arcane. If they put mana stones back in the game, they'd have to compensate for that by lowering the mages damage or increase the mana cost of the spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    What problem? Mana management is the core idea of arcane. If they put mana stones back in the game, they'd have to compensate for that by lowering the mages damage or increase the mana cost of the spells.
    just to point out, the mana cost of spells now is significantly higher than it was back when these things were in the game, so why would they need to change anything again?, also the reason they got removed is due to a passive effect turning your mana gem in a mini steroid booster so it was not really used for mana gain anymore but a power boost wasting it and only making use of it to line up with cooldowns.

just to point out, the mana cost of spells now is significantly higher than it was back when these things were in the game, so why would they need to change anything again?
    Because now it's balanced? If you just give a arcane mage additional mana you just increase his damage. You don't need to add the gem then, you could just increase the spell damage or simply reduce the mana cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    To be honest, if the Mana Gem was a CD rather than a consumable, and restored a static percentage of Mana (e.g. 30%) and replaced evocation I’d totally be onboard with it.

First of, it would be instant and not a channel, secondly because it doesn’t refill all your mana, you have some flexibility when using it instead of burning all mana to zero.

If you ever did OOM, you could settle into a” restore” phase which might be less than 4 charges before Barrage.

The whole spec would need some minor tweaking, but I’ve never been a fan of Evocation as in combat mana regen, slipstream makes it ok, but we’re turrety enough as is so having our own mana pot with a 60 sec CD (for example) I think could add more complexity while adding some QoL.

My 2c anyway.
    Replace evo with a mana gem? what purpose does that serve? removing an iconic spell to get a mana potion for mages only? what?

Plus how does that fixes mage mana depletion "problem".
    You are looking for a fix for something that ain't broken, you just don't like it.
    Last edited by erifwodahs; 2019-07-06 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Replace evo with a mana gem? what purpose does that serve? removing an iconic spell to get a mana potion for mages only? what?

Plus how does that fixes mage mana depletion "problem".
    You are looking for a fix for something that ain't broken, you just don't like it.
    i think it's more a case of the person is bad and can't juggle the burn/conserve phases properly, although to be fair back in ye olden times the whole point was to burn all mana so by the end of the fight you had little to none left .

i think it's more a case of the person is bad and can't juggle the burn/conserve phases properly, although to be fair back in ye olden times the whole point was to burn all mana so by the end of the fight you had little to none left .
    Not bad, just not a fan of current design philosophy in the modern raid environment. Disliking something doesn't mean you don't understand it or can't play it.

My comments about the Mana Gem did call back a bit to the Classic days where you had to mange your mana. IIRC, we used to stagger mana gems at different ranks (before it went to charges) to avoid ooming before the boss died.

Obviously Arcane's mana management is quite different today, hence why I stated the spec would need tweaking to go to a mana Gem system instead of Evo. Personally, IDC what changes they make, so long as the Raid and Class designers are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Because now it's balanced? If you just give a arcane mage additional mana you just increase his damage. You don't need to add the gem then, you could just increase the spell damage or simply reduce the mana cost.
    Fair to point out that it isn't really balanced right now arcane is kind of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Fair to point out that it isn't really balanced right now arcane is kind of bad.
    I agree, arcane is one of the two remaining dps specs that have a ressource to watch and not just follow a priority system where you have weakauras telling you what to press next. And this effort is rewarded with mediocre dps if done right and abyssimal dps if screwed up (at least in current m+ and raid, no idea how the bosses in ET work for arcane).
    But there is no need to add another mechanic to the spec that makes it even harder to balance when you could just do a number pass.

You need To provide Ammo to The Warriors and GIve them backup.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mana management is a core Arcane feature, not it's problem. The real issue is being pretty much pure single target or big AoE. There is no cleave.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

First they removed the damage scaling with mana at the start of 8.0 by changing the mastery and then added it back into the game with equipoise...

Arcane is just a clusterfuck of the devs not knowing where they want to go.
    Its single target dps is bad compared to other specs, it has either mediocre aoe or single target damage but never both and no cleave whatsoever ( dont even start with nether tempest... its so bad that it could as well be an april fools joke )
    The movement capabilities are virtually non existent.
    It just lacks in everything. Also Blizzard has not announced anything about updating the spec so i guess its going to stay in the sad spot it is in right now for the entire expansion.

It currently is in desperate need of some love but not getting any. Pretty much like a misstreated dog that cries out in fear and pain upon beeing touched.
    Last edited by Poly123; 2019-08-27 at 10:29 AM.

Mana depletion is as important for arcane mage as DoTs are to affliction warlock. You can't take it away.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.