Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    That self - deprecation is common to the point of acceptable , and how far it goes to un - ironically speaking about " wanting to die " or joking about it so casually to the point of accepting depression as normal

or that whole " boomer vs doomer " meme made manifest

When people do and experience for the enjoyment of showing it off in social media and not for the thing itself. Its kind of the huge piss contest social media became with everyone carefully picking and engineering highlights of their life to make it look like they are living the good life.

I'm kind of an early millenial, that had a lot of latent gen-x experiences based on where I grew up. I've noticed that my generation has a very roundabout way of making small talk about interpersonal relations. I really don't understand it at all. I really find it easier to talk to people older or younger than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Actually, I think my generation is the best and has the least to dislike about. I'm a millennial (1982 - 1996). We're not into working like slaves like those 40+ years old but would rather work less and enjoy life more. Meanwhile, a lot of us had childhood before phones and computers which was awesome.
    Well, if I had to nitpick, I guess that we got fucked by the economic collapse in 2008 and that we're probably the poorest generation because of that.
    I've read countless articles lately about how our generation has no savings, no retirement, and cannot afford houses. Something like upwards of 75% of 82-96 millennials don't have these things. I for one don't have any of the listed items. I can't afford retirement, savings, house, or anything more than barely a car payment.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Actually, I think my generation is the best and has the least to dislike about. I'm a millennial (1982 - 1996). We're not into working like slaves like those 40+ years old but would rather work less and enjoy life more. Meanwhile, a lot of us had childhood before phones and computers which was awesome.
    Well, if I had to nitpick, I guess that we got fucked by the economic collapse in 2008 and that we're probably the poorest generation because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    I've read countless articles lately about how our generation has no savings, no retirement, and cannot afford houses. Something like upwards of 75% of 82-96 millennials don't have these things. I for one don't have any of the listed items. I can't afford retirement, savings, house, or anything more than barely a car payment.
    I am in that generation and I have all of those things (34 years old). I am on goal to retire before 60 and my house will be paid off in 8 years. But I know many people my age that are struggling. My only gripe is those people blaming the government for their situation. Just about everyone I know with problems don't have income issues, they have spending issues. Almost none use a real budget and compulsively overspend like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I am in that generation and I have all of those things (34 years old). I am on goal to retire before 60 and my house will be paid off in 8 years. But I know many people my age that are struggling. My only gripe is those people blaming the government for their situation. Just about everyone I know with problems don't have income issues, they have spending issues. Almost none use a real budget and compulsively overspend like crazy.
    My grandma pays for my phone, and my gas. I make 15$ a hour and have to pay parking 160$ a month. child support and food alone is 450$ a month and gas and car insurance together is roughly 285$ a month. I'm BARELY scraping by with no savings, and I hav to pay health insurance and dental which is 215$ a month plus prescriptions that I need to live which is roughly another 85$ a month and copays at 50$ a month per lab visit and doctor vists at about 60$ each 6 months. I don't even have an apartment yet but, probably at the later end of the year and that's at least 660$ per month. I'm lucky to be left with a couple hundred dollars for any unforseen issues. Most likely that extra hundred dollars pays for electric, and internet. That's it. nothing left for retirement, nothing left for savings. There's just no money...

Meanwhile, Inflation and housing costs and costs of living are THROUGH the roof. Apartment costs have almost doubled in the last 15 years.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    My grandma pays for my phone, and my gas. I make 15$ a hour and have to pay parking 160$ a month. child support and food alone is 450$ a month and gas and car insurance together is roughly 285$ a month. I'm BARELY scraping by with no savings, and I hav to pay health insurance and dental which is 215$ a month plus prescriptions that I need to live which is roughly another 85$ a month and copays at 50$ a month per lab visit and doctor vists at about 60$ each 6 months. I don't even have an apartment yet but, probably at the later end of the year and that's at least 660$ per month. I'm lucky to be left with a couple hundred dollars for any unforseen issues. Most likely that extra hundred dollars pays for electric, and internet. That's it. nothing left for retirement, nothing left for savings. There's just no money...

Meanwhile, Inflation and housing costs and costs of living are THROUGH the roof. Apartment costs have almost doubled in the last 15 years.
    Yes, we went over this in a previous article with you. Your parking is ridiculous and that alone would have me looking for a new job. Not trying to be a dick, but your child support is your fault, your car insurance before you said is $100 which is massively overpriced. I pay $115 for full coverage on a 2015 LEXUS GS F-Sport. You should have liability on your old car which should easily save you $60-70/month. You pay for your own insurance and dental which is definitely high, but not outrageous. I pay $130/month for those.

Only getting paid $15 makes it hard to live alone, but if you had a roommate you should have no problems paying your bills even with such a low paying job. Even putting a minimal $100 a month in retirement will end up being hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement if you start early enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Yes, we went over this in a previous article with you. Your parking is ridiculous and that alone would have me looking for a new job. Not trying to be a dick, but your child support is your fault, your car insurance before you said is $100 which is massively overpriced. I pay $115 for full coverage on a 2015 LEXUS GS F-Sport. You should have liability on your old car which should easily save you $60-70/month. You pay for your own insurance and dental which is definitely high, but not outrageous. I pay $130/month for those.

Only getting paid $15 makes it hard to live alone, but if you had a roommate you should have no problems paying your bills even with such a low paying job. Even putting a minimal $100 a month in retirement will end up being hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement if you start early enough.
    I can't afford 50$ a month extra to save. My liability right now is 54$ per month and once I get a new car full coverage will be about 95$ per month, that's without rental or towing. If I didn't have to pay parking or drive so far for my job. Shoot, that'd save me like 300$ a month. I really want to save for retirement but, it just is out of the question right now. I calculated after new car expenses, and healthcare I'm lucky if I have 600$ per month without an apartment or anything. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Helicopter parents.

Let your children be. They'll skin they're knees. They can explore the town. They can lose a baseball game, and fail at their homework. Don't coddle them. Encourage them and help them, but don't coddle them.
    Putin khuliyo

my generation, hope they have a clue 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Born 1981, my generation is okay, its just a little skimmed ahead of the ridiculous entitled outrage culture of today's 20 and younger generation
    You are a millennial by definition like me unfortunately, we get lumped in with them all (1986 for me). Labels are the annoying part.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I'm a Gen-Xer and I like my generation the best. We're the culture of 'sex, drugs and rock n roll' and 'live and let live'. We also remember the better days of the internet - as young adults.

Watching the drama between Boomers and Millennials is more often an eye-rolling exp. than it is entertaining. Both generations tend to come across as entitled prima donnas.
    Last edited by Eveningforest; 2019-07-08 at 07:32 PM.

Not only my generation but all generations that have reached 30++. This propensity to whine about the good old days and lament how bad everything is today. I have yet to find an old song on YouTube that is so bad that not a single person has said that "those were the days."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Umm. No. The baby-boomers were guilty of that, not Gen-Xers.

Baby-boomers benefitted from decent workers' rights in their youth then promptly dispensed with them when they attained positions of power in their 40s / 50s.
    aka as I gots mine f the rest of you. typical boomer mentality. which sucks since it's the seniors that vote the most. another decade or so and we can get past it hopefully.

someone liking Putin

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    I'm a Gen-Xer and I like my generation the best. We're the culture of 'sex, drugs and rock n roll' and 'live and let live'. We also remember the better days of the internet - as young adults.

Watching the drama between Boomers and Millennials is more often an eye-rolling exp. than it is entertaining. Both generations tend to come across as entitled prima donnas.
    So much this!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    Can be anything

I will start

Some of them liking Justin Bieber , One Direction etc
    That they raised a generation of snowflakes through helicopter parenting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Also, social media. Social media can be very good to show pictures to friends, stay in contact, give some updates on your life such as kids etc, but it's blown way out of proportion. People's lives are ruled by social media nowadays and it's sad that when you go out to a restaurant, a bar, a night on the town etc, majority of people are too busy trying to tell everyone on social media that they're out rather than actually enjoying the fact that they're out in the first place! It's like a whole competition of my dick's bigger than your dick.
    I completely agree with what you said about social media. While it is good for the reasons you stated people these days let themselves be ruled by it. Constantly checking on how many likes their pictures got, scrolling through the different posts of pages they liked, constantly letting people know where they are, where they're going, what they're eating and sharing pictures of everything thing they do when they're out.

Society is so overrun by social media you see it everywhere. When you're in a public area just stop for a minute and observe the people around you. At least half of those people are walking while having their face glued to their phone screens not paying any attention to where they're going or what/who is in front of them. Instead of greeting people with a "hi" or a simple smile people have their heads down in their phones completely closing out everything and everyone around them.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2019-07-12 at 07:14 PM.