Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    No it isnt. You are not in palace to stop her from breaking chains. We had no clue what she is doing.
    She literally says
    Azshara: You see the truth now, don't you, heroes? Every move you've made has been according to my will.
    Azshara: That lumbering dwarf believed you could save Azeroth by empowering your shiny little Heart. The gift of a sleeping titan.
    Azshara: Yes, a titan's heart was exactly what was needed. Not to heal the world... but to shatter the prison of a god.
    Azshara: Such irony...the diamond king has been made a pawn.
    Azshara: The ritual nears completion. The Black Empire rises... and the world awaits its true queen.
    And throughout the fight you have to deal with her draining the ancient wards on N'Zoth's prison and trying to get the HoA, tell me how this isn't us trying to stop her from freeing N'Zoth that ends in a big fuck you it's happening anyway.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    "At the hour of her third death, she ushers in our coming."

I guess this is Azshara then. First death when she was turned into a Naga. Second death is this one where she gets revived by N'Zoth. Final death is when she dies in the N'Zoth raid and ushers in the return of the Void Lords, I guess?
    Pretty much by the looks of it

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    N'Zoth is going to be the endboss, period. That's not my opinion
    Lol its quite literally 100% your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    The only disappointment is the fact that we've been expecting this exact outcome for like 8 months. If we didn't have any prior knowledge of this exact thing happening, like we had no idea Argus would show up above Azeroth in 7.2 after KJ, no one would mind the cinematic one bit cos they'd be losing their minds.
    No one expected Argus because we thought Blizzard had better story sense then to create some randomly poor written titan as the final boss of a raid that should of been Sargeras in some form, if it was him taking over Argus mind in a phase, or Sargeras in another avatar form, either way there's no reason he should of been a cloud with some random new Titan who had no build up other than Magni listening to him moan through a rock

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    People still care what those wonky pair of tits say? Lol.
    People that are trying to find ways to cope, yes.

Yeah not much is happening in that cinematic. I don't really care personally, but of course, everything is a reason for an outrage these days

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    I think you need to calm down there. It's not the end of the world, hopefully this leads to some follow up storyline and not a waiting room for 8.3
    I am getting disappointed by these guys over and over. They already butchered the story horribly, and they continue to do so. Legion 7.3 was a fail. BfA started promising, but after all, it was a huge let down. Then they went more and more into that Old Gods style, so the hype went down too, since it's not a secret anymore that next expac is going to be all about the Black Empire.

The worst thing from that is that no expansion since Cata had a proper villian. And as long as they are terrible at writing story arcs for characters, giving no villian at the beginning is a terrible mistake. We get:

- Grommash as a final boss, but then they change their minds making Gul'dan the biggest villian, with Archimonde as a last boss - okay.
    - Gul'dan in Legion, who happens to be the 2nd tier boss. Then we get Kil'jaedan 2.0, and THEN we get ARGUS, which is an absolute retcon and it doesn't even feel compelling to defeat that guy, since we have no idea what that guy is, cause he has NO story arc at all,
    - Azshara, who gets defeated by random guys - and guess what, probably some randomly named guy will be the final boss/ or Sylvanas, with Azshara setting a next expansion in motion. Or she, ressurected and buffed, will end up as some mutated naga queen in the 8.3 raid.

But instead, we could get the FINAL BOSS at the beginning of the expansion so that we could discover it's story and motives through-out the expansion. Maybe it doesn't have that "shock-effect", but on the other hand, they can't make these stories interesting while they try to put the shock value in the game. Not enough exposition, not enough background is given to villians, so when it comes to actually defeat them, it doesn't feel rewarding at all. Think of the Lich King and Deathwing. At least, you could finally get your hands on them. And these fights had been rewarding AF.

And all these RETCONS, one on top of another. They try so hard to leave as many loose ends as possibly, so that they eventually get lost in all that stuff. WoW's current story is just a massive mess. They NEED to clear that shit up, and create some proper, complex protagonists and villans, instead of bringing back characters like ILLIDAN and THRALL whenever shit goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lachlol View Post
    The worst thing from that is that no expansion since Cata had a proper villian. And as long as they are terrible at writing story arcs for characters, giving no villian at the beginning is a terrible mistake.
    I agree. While Cataclysm wasn't the best story, we understood who we were fighting and why and everything that led up to it. Same with Wrath, the big bad guy is always in your face and you're fighting against him. In these later expansions it just seems like you're trying to put out flames only for it to blow up in the end, which seems lackluster. I rather have the end game boss taunting me throughout the expansion.

However, personal opinions and all that.

there is a mythic phase for sure that reveal more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's going to be a final raid. If BfA is structured like a fantasy trilogy this is the middle book. Expecting to know much about what happens in the 3rd book is a bit much to ask. It could still be bad but story--such as it is--isn't done.
    To be frank, they could do a better job of setting up for that "third" book and additionally not copy exactly what they did to set up the prior two "series". I mean notice the similarities with Garrosh and Gul'dan?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    If that doesn't foreshadow all Old Gods reawakening.
    Add to that, that they have deliberately made the player aware that things are happening in Ulduar and with the mantid, as well as making Silithus relevant for the first time since vanilla.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    I agree. While Cataclysm wasn't the best story, we understood who we were fighting and why and everything that led up to it. Same with Wrath, the big bad guy is always in your face and you're fighting against him. In these later expansions it just seems like you're trying to put out flames only for it to blow up in the end, which seems lackluster. I rather have the end game boss taunting me throughout the expansion.

However, personal opinions and all that.
    If you dont know why you fight or why things happening thats becouse you are not following story at all. You are not reading books, comics etc,... I am on 100% sure you are murica boy. People from USA tend to be super bad at following story what doesnt do in your face explanation compared to EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    To be frank, they could do a better job of setting up for that "third" book and additionally not copy exactly what they did to set up the prior two "series". I mean notice the similarities with Garrosh and Gul'dan?
    No argument there. I don't know for certain who is structuring the main expansion story line. I am assuming that it's Afrasiabi who is not a writer and who keeps tracking over the same ground. It's cliched and obvious and often substitutes shock for plot. That's AA. He knows one way to build a story and that's how it goes.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    If you dont know why you fight or why things happening thats becouse you are not following story at all. You are not reading books, comics etc,... I am on 100% sure you are murica boy. People from USA tend to be super bad at following story what doesnt do in your face explanation compared to EU.
    If you need to read external books and comics to understand the story of a game, it's bad writing.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    If you need to read external books and comics to understand the story of a game, it's bad writing.
    I agree with this 100%. I especially agree that there is a variety of stuff to do in the game, quests and the like, that contribute little or nothing to the storyline. Why should that be? There could be asides from the NPC's involved that would reveal little bits, hints or details.

I don't mind the books and think they are fine although I do wish that Blizzard would allow them to be written now as more adult fantasy instead of being pitched at the 13-15 age range. But there could be clues embedded in everything we do that reveal tiny little bits of the story that we could assemble into something that supports the bigger events.

First rule of writing a novel (expansion): Everything should contribute in some way to the plot. The disconnected game story now is what happens when gameplay drives story instead of the other way around.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-07-09 at 07:58 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Ofcourse they went with the most predictable finale. At least the ToS finale had somewhat of a twist where we get to see Argus in the skies, knowing that 7.3 will take place there. This cinematic showed us nothing that we didn't already know. Azshara's fate is left unknown, yet another raid where we don't even kill the final boss. There were so many opportunities to make this cinematic feel epic, yet it turned rather comical with Lorthemar's and Jaina's slow walk and N'Zoth tentacle grabbing Azshara.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    If that doesn't foreshadow all Old Gods reawakening.
    Il'gynoth was part of Nzoth's armies.

His death quote: "N'Zoth... I journey... to Ny'alotha…"

Our, pertains to Nzoth's full army and opening all their eyes, he isn't bringing back other old gods with whom he was at war with.
    Last edited by Imurbandaid; 2019-07-09 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

Or people can stop being lazy and read the external lore. Especially when they go hurr durr on shit while blitzing through ignoring lore anyway.

Anyone who doesn't read lore books should not have an opinion on lore. Plus mmos are shit for lore writing. If blizzard started going ffxiv route which might be only way of doing it they'd be a shit show about it because "waaah I can't rush."

Why would Blizzard hype it up saying it will change Azeroth forever and all of this bullshit when we dont even know what the hell happened. They had one chance to get people hyped to come back for 8.3 and they ruined it.

- - - Updated - - -

"The ending cinematic will show you who the final boss is."

*The ending cinematic not only didn't show you the final boss, but also added another name to the potential final boss pool: Azshara.*

Good job, Ion. Really nailed that PR moment.
    Its known that Ion says dumb shit that doesnt happen.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I agree with this 100%. I especially agree that there is a variety of stuff to do in the game, quests and the like, that contribute little or nothing to the storyline. Why should that be? There could be asides from the NPC's involved that would reveal little bits, hints or details.

I don't mind the books and think they are fine although I do wish that Blizzard would allow them to be written now as more adult fantasy instead of being pitched at the 13-15 age range. But there could be clues embedded in everything we do that reveal tiny little bits of the story that we could assemble into something that supports the bigger events.
    The books aren't bad and BFA's done a better job of putting the big stuff front and center (unlike the olden times when you were missing the entire hook of an expansion if you didn't read the tie-in novel), but that was more directly at their point that "if you don't get this it's because you don't read the books and comics." If the game gets to a point where the only way to have proper context of what's going on is via external sources, the writing team needs to be fired wholesale.

You can do side story content. Not to bring up "the forbidden game" here, but FF14 did that in Heavensward and Stormblood, and will probably do it again in Shadowbringers. But their side story content exists usually to fill in gaps in the character's stories, not to fill in gaps in the expansion's story. You can ignore the stories entirely and still have a perfect understanding of what you're doing and why.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)