Why do Classic-proponents treat it like their favorite sports team?

It's been this constant thing in retail chat for months now. Always starts with some idiot talking about how Classic will "save" WoW and how retail will die when the Vanilla servers are released, followed by this endless banter of shit-talking from both pro-retail and pro-Classic people. Doesn't anyone understand that BOTH can be successful and that one "dying" or doing poorly is bad for everyone?

The more I watch Classic purists put down their own game, the more I find myself NOT wanting to play on the Classic servers next month. They all seem like blithering idiot purists who literally want retail to go away, which would be catastrophic to their beloved Vanilla servers as well. I feel like the community is what will make or break the servers and, so far, I'm not wanting to play with any of these people...

How can classic kill BFA if it's already dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Vocal minorities annoy most everyone...

People jumping to “new” things are often overly vocal about them, because they have cognitive dissonance to resolve. They’re heavily invested in the current game, so the new thing HAS to be worth it, or they will lose their investment. It’s the same as every other “wow killer”.

Couple that with relative anonimity on the modern servers and a way of feeling superior to “retail losers” and you got a bad tasting cocktail.

There's no point giving attention to the hate from either side. I don't quite understand your complaint, is it about people arguing in chat on BFA or on these MMO-champ forums?

Also This:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    How can classic kill BFA if it's already dead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, another prozach thread.
    Look mate, the game has its share of douches from all backgrounds. Please stop judging the majority of classic proponents based on a few trade chat trolls.

This kind of behaviour is not unique to classic players. I guarantee when classic is out we will see people in cities bitching about how shit it is and how retail ls clearly superior.

Because we're really passionate in our love for Vanilla and (some of us are) passionate in our hatred for what WoW became

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Because we're really passionate in our love for Vanilla and (some of us are) passionate in our hatred for what WoW became
    So that makes it right for us to log into retail and ruin the experience for them?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's some sort of cult mentality. It could've been their favorite sports team, or their religion, or even their favorite TV series. But nah, it's "My favorite game is better than YOUR favorite game".

Gotta zealot for something. It keeps the mind busy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Great, another prozach thread.
    Look mate, the game has its share of douches from all backgrounds. Please stop judging the majority of classic proponents based on a few trade chat trolls.

This kind of behaviour is not unique to classic players. I guarantee when classic is out we will see people in cities bitching about how shit it is and how retail ls clearly superior.
    The behavior isn't unique to classic but the situation itself is. You have a group of players actively participating in a game who are, more or less, hoping it fails in order to somehow elevate a 15 year old iteration of the same game. What is the goal with this behavior? It's 100% self-defeating and the only way either wins is for BOTH to be successful. Not only that, but there's the irony of a bunch of douche bags screwing with someone else's experience as a way of promoting Vanilla's awesome "community". it doesn't make sense.

I'd hardly describe it as "a few". There's a large enough rift in the player base to justify entire boards (like this one) specifically for Classic and yet the angst still manages to bleed over into retail forums. The sports team analogy is accurate; you have people arguing that, say, the 2015 Baltimore Ravens were so good that any iteration of the team afterwards should just not have existed at all. Sports fans are annoying enough already, and people do voice opinions about their favorite year, player, whatever but you don't see them trying to abandon the entire franchise like a bunch of whiny babies.

And this is all before the game is even released (again). I can only imagine how much worse it'll be when people are actually able to play. I can't help but to feel the pro-Classic group make up the very worst of the game population. The people you constantly see bitching about new content the hour it's released and pissing all over their own game just 'because'. It seems to me the majority of these people are headed right to Classic servers. Probably a good thing for the rest of us but...you just know they won't be able to stay away and bitching about their beloved Vanilla won't be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    The more I watch Classic purists put down their own game, the more I find myself NOT wanting to play on the Classic servers next month. They all seem like blithering idiot purists who literally want retail to go away, which would be catastrophic to their beloved Vanilla servers as well. I feel like the community is what will make or break the servers and, so far, I'm not wanting to play with any of these people...
    You realize that you base this reasoning on "retail chat", which means people who actually PAY to play BfA ?
    I'm pretty sure that most people who really want to play Vanilla for the sake of it (and not as a grudge against their retail slights) don't play BfA and as such you've had no actual contact with them in the game.
    The behavior isn't unique to classic but the situation itself is. You have a group of players actively participating in a game who are, more or less, hoping it fails in order to somehow elevate a 15 year old iteration of the same game. What is the goal with this behavior?
    And in exactly the same way, there is also tons of pro-retail people who click on the "Classic forums" to spill shit about Classic. Ask them why too.

3+ Year Old Account
    It's been this constant thing in retail chat for months now. Always starts with some idiot talking about how Classic will "save" WoW and how retail will die when the Vanilla servers are released, followed by this endless banter of shit-talking from both pro-retail and pro-Classic people. Doesn't anyone understand that BOTH can be successful and that one "dying" or doing poorly is bad for everyone?

You don't seem to have noticed the most important thing about WoW's community: most people talking in chat have lower IQ than average. They are also the minority, but since they are the only ones we see, it's easy to believe that's the general consensus, it's really not.

10+ Year Old Account

They don't want retail to "go away", they want it to "fail" while classic does well so that the devs will realize all the things they are doing "wrong" (from the perspective of the classic players) and then change retail to remedy those "wrongs".

Basically: They want retail to do poorly so that it will undergo a significant design philosophy shift and thus become the type of game they enjoy again.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-07-09 at 08:51 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Honestly I'm happy whenever trade chat is arguing about bfa and classic. Usually the discussions are way worse, like always some neo-nazi conspiracies about muslims, jews or just incels being incels.

They are very similar. The fans are very passionate and want the team/game to succeed that's all it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prozach, every game has its share of toxic players. Just ignore them and move on. Making a thread about it won't fix anything, just causes needless bickering, like I'm doing right now.

Please, I remind you again that some retail minorities will troll classic in the exact same way. You're basically taking it out on all classic players based on the actions of a minority - yes it is a minority. It just seems like more because the other 99% aren't saying anything.

If you're truly neutral in this cause, then you shouldn't be singling out classic fans. You should be addressing the community as a whole. But like I said, that won't achieve anything so it's a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is game vs. game fodder. We're not doing it.

There's another thread like this that's been up for months. If you must, post there but lay off the insults to players who prefer something different than you.

Closing.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-07-10 at 02:36 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."