Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Half of US population lives in 9 states.

Read an interesting article recently.

https://www.businessinsider.com/half...-states-2016-6

Why do you suppose this is? Why do you think half the population lives in these particular states?

People flock to the places where jobs and career opportunities exist.

Have you been to Wyoming? It's not exactly hospitable.

In the end, people push together. naturally. A large portion of the United States is farmland, lending to a lower population density. There's a ton of desert, and high timberland, which also makes things tough. You move towards water, common travel routes, and centers of industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Have you been to Wyoming? It's not exactly hospitable.

In the end, people push together. naturally. A large portion of the United States is farmland, lending to a lower population density. There's a ton of desert, and high timberland, which also makes things tough. You move towards water, common travel routes, and centers of industry.
    Hey as someone who lives between Laramie and Cheyenne Wyoming is great and fantastic altho if i lived an hour north i would disagree with what i just said. But that is what happens when businesses are concentrated to just a few areas overall. I am sure pockets of the mid west are hit harder then others but that is expected when you move to a service based economy instead of a production based one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post

Why do you suppose this is? Why do you think half the population lives in these particular states?
    Good jobs, more things to do, better opportunities for their children/family.

(and as an aside another good reason to get rid of the Electoral College)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Good jobs, more things to do, better opportunities for their children/family.

(and as an aside another good reason to get rid of the Electoral College)
    What do you mean? Surely there's nothing wrong with less than half the population controlling 84% of the country's Senate votes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is nothing new. Been this way for over a hundred years. Population is concentrated where jobs are. And families generally will want to stay together.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    People flock to the places where jobs and career opportunities exist.
    Basically this, if/when I can move out a bit I will certainly do so. Starting to look now, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Not surprising, if you look at it by land area, it would be an even smaller percentage. Humans have always lived like this. For example, 10.52 million people live in Georgia. Of those, almost 6 million live in the metro area of Atlanta. Which is less then 10% of the states land area. For states, the ones with the largest populations tend to have a concentration of large urban areas (Such as Texas, who has 4 major urban areas) combined with much larger land areas in general.

Also, over half the land area of the US is in 9 states as well, although they are a different nine states.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Hey as someone who lives between Laramie and Cheyenne Wyoming is great and fantastic altho if i lived an hour north i would disagree with what i just said. But that is what happens when businesses are concentrated to just a few areas overall. I am sure pockets of the mid west are hit harder then others but that is expected when you move to a service based economy instead of a production based one.
    I have family in Wyoming. It's beautiful as hell. But, the wind, harsh winters, and terrain are not what many would prefer.

I actually think Idaho and Wyoming are going to be great placed for data centers and tech companies in the next ten years.

10+ Year Old Account
    San Francisco is going to have to build a wall, a long with California or any other blue states. I kind of wonder how that would work, a divided Union. No more red states allowed to move to blue states or vice verse.

How would that work out?

Tariffs on anything in and out ?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    San Francisco is going to have to build a wall, a long with California or any other blue states. I kind of wonder how that would work, a divided Union. No more red states allowed to move to blue states or vice verse.

How would that work out?

Tariffs on anything in and out ?
    Lol! Not going to happen.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! Not going to happen.
    It be pretty damn funny as a simulation, go back to trading between states. I am guessing all these red states would dry up real fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It be pretty damn funny as a simulation, go back to trading between states. I am guessing all these red states would dry up real fast.
    Na. You are forgetting Texas. They could just trade with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Na. You are forgetting Texas. They could just trade with them.
    You say that like someone who's never been to Texas. I am of the opinion Texas would dry up. Floods, Hurricanes, etc.

I have family in Wyoming. It's beautiful as hell. But, the wind, harsh winters, and terrain are not what many would prefer.

I actually think Idaho and Wyoming are going to be great placed for data centers and tech companies in the next ten years.
    The winters are not really that bad honestly. It is cold yes but the wind is nothing like being around the great lakes or upper north east. I actually welcome more people to come and live in Wyoming if you are more of the outdoors type of person with an admiration of hunting as we are one of the better states for it. I wish we had more outside venues as Wyoming football is not really known excluding the Bills drafting future bust Josh Allen.

A really good reason why the electoral college and senate need to go.

So many fuckers hatin on Trump while he has more money than all of you combined, branding alone. Shut up.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post

Most are coastal states near active and important seaports, or have large cities or are very close to large cities such as Washington DC, New York, Philadelphia, LA, San Diego, Austen, Houston, ect,
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

They don't have the infrastructure. Neither power nor data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..