Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Help between 2 laptops

Hey I'm about to buy a new laptop.
    I have two options:

A Dell with an i5-8350H and a GTX1050 TI 4gb.

Or an HP with an i7-8750H and a GTX 1060 3gb.
    Price is about the same, HP is 66 euro more

Sure the HP offers better performance, specially GPU wise, but.. It's an HP, I'm afraid of its reliability? Statistically Dell is fine, average and generally good, but HP has the worst failures, badly built.

Would you go for the more reliably, bit cheaper and just a bit worse performance (I don't play that many games anyway..)

Or is it worth it to get the extra cores, extra performance but risk reliability?

My Lenovo just died with barely 3 years.. I expect the next to make it up to 5 years...

What I do:
    Games: Wow, Dirt rally 2.0, and sometimes something like Witcher 3 a bit.
    Revit, Photoshop and other architecture software.
    Last edited by shise; 2019-07-11 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on what you do with them. You say you don't play many games, so what do you do? Are we talking just browsing the internet? Or do you code? Maybe edit video?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That depends on what you do with them. You say you don't play many games, so what do you do? Are we talking just browsing the internet? Or do you code? Maybe edit video?
    Sorry my bad.
    What I do:

I am willing to give up a bit of performance for reliability tho but that is sort of flipping a coin maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Sorry my bad.
    What I do:

I am willing to give up a bit of performance for reliability tho but that is sort of flipping a coin maybe.
    In that case I'd go with the more expensive one. I'm not sure how Revit works, but Adobe scales very well with clock speed, and WoW is very CPU bound so you'd benefit in both of those with the better CPU

whats ur budget? i bet we find a way better bang for your buck than that!

10+ Year Old Account
    We need a link to hose two to make any kind of judgement. Reliability varies from model to model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

hohooooo.............thankkkkyouuuuuuuu..... hakuna matat

It's HP, the reliability is shit indeed. In the end it all depends if you need that performance bump, which is pretty significant.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Hey I'm about to buy a new laptop.
    I have two options:

A Dell with an i5-8350H and a GTX1050 TI 4gb.

Or an HP with an i7-8750H and a GTX 1060 3gb.
    Price is about the same, HP is 66 euro more

Sure the HP offers better performance, specially GPU wise, but.. It's an HP, I'm afraid of its reliability? Statistically Dell is fine, average and generally good, but HP has the worst failures, badly built.

Would you go for the more reliably, bit cheaper and just a bit worse performance (I don't play that many games anyway..)

Or is it worth it to get the extra cores, extra performance but risk reliability?

My Lenovo just died with barely 3 years.. I expect the next to make it up to 5 years...

What I do:
    I have a lenovo for work and does pretty good. TBH quality is going to be roll of the dice. Im not a fan of dell, feel their quality is lacking for the price they charge, but doesnt mean it isnt a solid choice. I had an HP laptop, other than i got it with an I3, really only need it for terminal and web, it was pretty decent.

Spec wise those look fairly close, idk how much the TI improves the 50 vs the 60 series for NVIDIA, might make the cards pretty similar that i don't know.

I7 definitely better processor, i know i5 is fine but personally if i get a computer and want it to last i will spend bit extra to get better cpu/gpu components. RAM too.
    I'm glad i got an i7 when i built my PC its from around 2013-2014 and still hums along pretty quick and responsively. Not sure if i got an i5 from around then id be saying that, hard to say...

Think you really are just looking at personal preference.