Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Sounds like communism to me.
    Kinda, I mean small scale interconnected communities are kind of communistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Little late to the party Mr March 2019.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlesocks View Post
    Flooding in the midwest is nearing $3 Billion in damages, and not one of my friends who is not originally from there even knew this has been going on. I've seen no federal relief efforts or national retailers call attention to lend aid. Everyone seems content to argue about proper pronouns and illegal immigrants in bad conditions while Americans are forced into even worse conditions as the nation ignores them.

I mean this is happening now, does anyone even know or care?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/us/ne...ion/index.html
    Seeing as 2019 is a strange time, have you considered sending a tweet to @ realDonaldTrump?

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Is the US now at a point where compassion for your fellow men during natural disasters depend on the person their state is voting for?

Or am I missing the bigger picture here?
    Certainly what this thread would lead you to believe.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Is the US now at a point where compassion for your fellow men during natural disasters depend on the person their state is voting for?

Or am I missing the bigger picture here?
    The op opened up with complaining there isn't enough FEMA money because the "liberals" complained about lack of basic humanitarian care at the refugee camps, but its really FEMA is short funds because Trump uses it as his personal piggy bank for things like the wall and military parades.

its more about ragging on the op the lack of compassion.

Also plundering of government agencies is exactly what these people have voted for.
    Last edited by Stormspellz; 2019-07-12 at 05:04 AM.

What's nebraska?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeegee
    but whats gonna happen to vegas?
    That which has happened shall stay there, in Nevada.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Yea, since Nebraska doesn't supply any good or services to the rest of the country, it definitely isn't just a gigantic farm growing food for the lazy city dwellers on the coasts.
    Us "lazy city dwellers" prefer another name:

The money.

Make no mistake. We pay for basically everything in this country that is funded through federal taxes, not in the least of which, and relevant to this case, is the military. We generate more economic output than heartland states and we pay more taxes. It's pretty cut and dry.

That is not to say agricultural states are without value, but be under no illusion this is some kind of even-stevens kind of thing. We pay for basically everything the federal government finances, you pay for very little.

With respect to the flooding, we have FEMA for that. It's paid for. They'll offer what aid they can. But if it comes to new infrastructure to reduce the risk of these floods, that's for you to pay for. Infrastructure is predominately paid for by State, not Federal taxes, and just because Nebraska does not tax enough to pay for their needs, that does not mean I should have to pay more to make up for it. I wouldn't expect you to pay for my snow ravaged New England roads.

For aid we have an agency. But for long term solutions... that's on you.

Which brings us to that military base. That base is responsible for many strategic contingencies. It is where Bush '43 flew to on 9/11. The E-4B's are based out of there. I see no reason something paid for predominantly by us lazy city dwellers should stimulate economic activity in your state. I mean, it makes sense for their to be nuclear silos in South Dakota, obviously. But why isn't many of Offut's operation, like US Strategic Command and Air Combat Command moved to some place in a payer, rather than a moocher state that is under utilized, like Westover Air Reserve Base in Massachusetts. Or even Dyess in Texas.

More broadly, the money needs to see its tax dollars at work, not the people who don't pay. And for the record, Trump said basically this about our NATO allies. No reason we should have a different standard for ourselves, especially when you offered what amounts to the German response to Trump's position..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    The op opened up with complaining there isn't enough FEMA money because the "liberals" complained about lack of basic humanitarian care at the refugee camps, but its really FEMA is short funds because Trump uses it as his personal piggy bank for things like the wall and military parades.

its more about ragging on the op the lack of compassion.

Also plundering of government agencies is exactly what these people have voted for.
    This is very true. Government agencies with less resources should benefit principally the people / states paying, and not those who don't.

Old but still basically correct:

We should offer more federal aid.... if we move that Military base to a payer state, rather than a moocher state.

When I say I don't see really any help, I refer to things like THIS.
    "More than 340 guardsmen are working in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and other states to aid those impacted by unexpectedly high floodwaters."
    Now I don't know in detail how flood management is supposed to be organised over there, but I know how we do it in Hungary. Professionals bring the equipment and the expertise, but mayors of affected municipalities are supposed to round out the local workforce. People whose houses are in danger generally don't need much convincing to help out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    His conclusions (overly simplified here) were that it was a bad idea to constrain previously mile-wide ribbons of shallow streams into the current spaghetti-like narrow deep channels, and that the Army Corps need to develop a universal comprehensive levee maintenance and design program.
    Oh, why am I not surprised? That is so shortsighted. Rivers need floodplains.

We did the same narrowing and we ended up having to build emergency reservoirs. And they are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    This is pathetic. People are suffering, but instead of relief effort that usually happens after big storms and floods, people are being partisan assholes just pointing fingers and assigning blame.

Anyone who thinks partisan politics are good response to such event should have their mental state checked.
    There is no issue offering relief through FEMA for immediate needs.

Long term though, namely in the form of building infrastructure to prevent future episodes of this... well that needs to be entirely on the Nebraskan taxpayer. It is not a Massachusetts' taxpayers job to pay for what Nebraskans will not.

I mean this is happening now, does anyone even know or care?

No. Why would any one give a toss about a bunch of random bigots?

- - - Updated - - -

This is pathetic. People are suffering, but instead of relief effort that usually happens after big storms and floods, people are being partisan assholes just pointing fingers and assigning blame.

Anyone who thinks partisan politics are good response to such event should have their mental state checked.
    Nebraska is a rich state by international standards that votes for policies that cause a lot of misery around the world. It should be able to look after itself, if it can't no one fucking cares, the same way you people don't care when your military drops a daisy cutter on a wedding or an orphanage in some third-world shithole.

Hell you don't even help people in your own country when they get cancer or a school gets shot up, who gives a fuck about a bunch of rednecks drowning?
    Last edited by yithal; 2019-07-12 at 09:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you care about the countless thousands of people your government killed in the middle east the last 20 years? Did you create a thread crying about how we should focus on the human rights violations in Iraq?

Stop guilt tripping people and sort out your own mess.

People dont care when people shoot up schools of childrens and you think people care about flooding, interesting.

But they voted for this why should we help people who shoot themselves in the foot? they can go fuck themselves.

Flooding in the midwest is nearing $3 Billion in damages, and not one of my friends who is not originally from there even knew this has been going on. I've seen no federal relief efforts or national retailers call attention to lend aid. Everyone seems content to argue about proper pronouns and illegal immigrants in bad conditions while Americans are forced into even worse conditions as the nation ignores them.
    How dare you use the suffering of people who lose their lifes, homes, and properties to flooding to try and further your petty political agenda of xenophobia and lies?
    Don't you have any shame at all?

10+ Year Old Account

I'll care as much about Nebraska, as Nebrakans cared about Puerto Rico during Maria, or Cali's wildfires.

Compassion isn't a one way street, you get what you give.

Holy Christ that is insane flooding, hope everyone is safe.

5+ Year Old Account
    Partisan idiocy at its finest. You do know that state is not a hive mind? Some people voted one way, some voted other way. Why does it matter in first place how people voted? Foods aren't caused by politicians.
    Give it about...oh, I'll go with 15 minutes...and I'm sure someone will be in here with a rousing speech against that point. Somehow.

I don't suspect we'd be having the same conversation were this a thread about the California earthquake? I don't even have a quip to make on this one. It's just kind of sad.

95% of my family's in Nebraska so they've been complaining about this a lot. I just found out my old apartment in Bellevue, really close to Offutt, got flooded during the bigger mess a couple months back, too. I feel bad because the guy who owns the buildings isn't part of a big real estate company, he's just a handyman who saved up until he could buy some properties - I hope he had flood insurance. Most people in Nebraska don't bother to get it because it just doesn't happen unless you live right on the river.

- - - Updated - - -

Partisan idiocy at its finest. You do know that state is not a hive mind? Some people voted one way, some voted other way. Why does it matter in first place how people voted? Foods aren't caused by politicians.
    To be fair, the problem is that conservatives don't want to spend money to fix these problems, and "bleeding heart liberals" actually do. Floods might not be political, but how we respond to them very much is.

I remember living in Omaha, every time a Republican mayor/governor came into office, you could expect cuts to all of the essential response services and basic infrastructure maintenance. All they ever run on is "spend less money! Fiscal responsibility! MONEY!" and everyone is confused why there's now a foot of snow on the road that isn't getting plowed a day after it came down, or why it's fall and the roads still have potholes from spring. It extends all the way to the national politics, too.

Flooding was not enough of a priority for the people of the state to make it an electoral issue, even if they did vote for conservatives they could lobby their representatives to do something on the issue they aren't. Here's hoping they grow gills since obviously this isn't a main concern for them. They made their bed and they are fine with it, if their elected people aren't making a stink about it why are you concerned?