Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Should the south secede?

Because it feels like nothing good comes from that region.

That region is full of states that receive more from the Federal treasury than they give- they would be begging to get back in within a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Because it feels like nothing good comes from that region.
    That’s not true; have you tried the food?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

15+ Year Old Account
    Its cosmopolitan to mix in some medieval states. Isn't it?
    Sure they are useless and full of neckbeards but it could provide a boost from foreign tourists.
    We dont have many monkeys in Europe, Gibraltar and a few more places only

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Its cosmopolitan to mix in some medieval states. Isn't it?
    Don't tell that to Stephen Miller...

I like Southern food like barbecue, biscuits and gravy. I think rock and roll came out of the South. I like the accents and how people are nicer to each other.

Some of the backwards thinking I don't like.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There's a lot to like below the Mason-Dixon Line.
    Backwards thinking and the humidity, not so much.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seceding is them deciding to get together and leave themselves. You seem to be suggesting kicking them out.

If they wanted to secede, I wouldn't try very hard to stop them. If that's what they truly wanted to do, then it doesn't really matter much what I think of the idea.

But no, the other states should not attempt to kick them out. They are US citizens and for all there are some loudly backward people with bad ideas, there's also a lot of decent quiet people just trying to live their life peacefully and it's not our place to maliciously hurt them because they happen to live next to someone we dislike. I live next to someone I dislike too, sometimes that's just the way things are.

The former confederate states should not have been readmitted to the union as states. They should've been rendered non-state territories, under the administration of the federal government.

I think they just need another march to Atlanta.

I've enjoyed the time I've spent in the South and tend to think that people that have little or no experience with the South are entirely too smug about their superiority.

It's also pretty funny to me that a bunch of states that people think are backwards and incompetent still have way higher per capita GDPs than places like the UK and France. Think Arkansas is a bunch of illiterate dumbfucks? They still outproduce the typical European by a wide margin. Move over to states like North Carolina and you've got a state that beats out places like Germany and Netherlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I like Southern food like barbecue, biscuits and gravy. I think rock and roll came out of the South. I like the accents and how people are nicer to each other.

Some of the backwards thinking I don't like.
    The Mississippi spread rock and roll, as slaves moved north and music genre started mixing. It’s ‘Detroit Rock City’ for a reason. Similarly to why Rock and Roll hall of fame is in Cleveland. When most people say ‘rock and roll started in the south’, they usually mean Memphis, via rockabilly. Thus bringing up another issue with defining first rock and roll, is pin pointing what rock and roll even is. I think it started here, but even Wikipedia lists Robert Johnson as a delta blues performer:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson

That was the birth of rock and roll... down to rumors of satanic influences.

But... wtf is wrong with you people? Don’t shit on people in the south for a few bad apples. Remember, you constantly argue that such generalizations are unfair? Right? I would rather they don’t leave, but I also support the will of its people. So... depends?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    The former confederate states should not have been readmitted to the union as states. They should've been rendered non-state territories, under the administration of the federal government.
    Really, it probably would have been enough to just execute the Confederate leadership for treason, with prison sentences for major officers and agents.

That they just, with very few exceptions, let them just go home and get back to things was arguably one of the single largest mistakes in American political history. It allowed the rot to fester and continue. It needed to be burned out to the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Really, it probably would have been enough to just execute the Confederate leadership for treason, with prison sentences for major officers and agents.

That they just, with very few exceptions, let them just go home and get back to things was arguably one of the single largest mistakes in American political history. It allowed the rot to fester and continue. It needed to be burned out to the roots.
    I think that would've been part of it, but I don't think anything outside of a lengthly federal administration and management of all of the confederate states would've stopped them from being backwards assholes forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that would've been part of it, but I don't think anything outside of a lengthly federal administration and management of all of the confederate states would've stopped them from being backwards assholes forever.
    The foundation of America is a political dichotomy between Federalism and State Rights. What you are suggesting is against the founding principles of America. Autonomy of states is obviously debatable in extent, but it’s inherent to American principles. It’s partially why American politics is so different and why shit like Brexit are a thing. EU is federalism... they are now experiencing a similar dichotomy.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Go ahead tell your mother how she don't deserve freedom over her own reproductive system.

Because that's the shit that's coming out of that shithole at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've enjoyed the time I've spent in the South and tend to think that people that have little or no experience with the South are entirely too smug about their superiority.

It's also pretty funny to me that a bunch of states that people think are backwards and incompetent still have way higher per capita GDPs than places like the UK and France. Think Arkansas is a bunch of illiterate dumbfucks? They still outproduce the typical European by a wide margin. Move over to states like North Carolina and you've got a state that beats out places like Germany and Netherlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Executing the traitors and imprisoning other major contributors would, hopefully, have prevented the lionization and hero-worship of traitorous racist murderer fuckbags, at least.

We should talk about fuckbags like Robert E. Lee the same way we talk about Hermann Goring. With disgust and revulsion, not respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

I don't quite know if executing the South's leadership and incarcerating former southern soldiers would have exactly "fostered the peace" so much as it would have bred even more resentment and possibly lead to decades of protracted "unofficial" conflict from angered confederate holdouts. And there was already a lot.

I'd say a more direct and fastidious approach to actual reconstruction would have done a lot more good for the welfare of African Americans than bringing up punishment on confederate soldiers.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    Go ahead tell your mother how she don't deserve freedom over her own reproductive system.

Because that's the shit that's coming out of that shithole at the moment.
    While this is an example why politicians will continue to succeed in scarring the populace into doing stupid shit. That issue should be dictated on the federal level, under universal healthcare. Instead, we are in a quagmire because Michigan and Pennsylvania voted Trump in. Last I checked... those are not south...

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post

That’s not true; have you tried the food?
    If you mean soul food, then yes. Americas only and truly genuine American cuisine which is almost totally ignored. Used to go up to Harlem when I lived in NYC to eat at this little soul food dive and it rocks.

If you are talking grits, biscuits and gravy, sweet tea etc I think it is safe to say that those things are an "acquired taste:...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    If you are talking grits, biscuits and gravy, sweet tea etc I think it is safe to say that those things are an "acquired taste:...
    Pig feet and collared greens are an acquired taste. If you fed people from Europe grits, they would think it’s polenta.

Last edited by Felya; 2019-07-13 at 02:46 AM.