Thread: AMD Navi

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I don't think they announced anything. They did have another code name for the next set of cards (high performance ones) but they recently changed that to Navi too. They are planning more architecture changes so the next one should perform better per FLOP than Navi.
    That's a lot of R&D cost AMD is having to carry right now.. They just got 1 new GPU and CPU architecture, and they're doing ANOTHER one? Not to mention that Zen1 is only like 2 years old too. Must be really working out for them

Gamersnexus were able fix their 5700XT to not have any thermal throttling just by adding some washers to the thermal pads so it looks like the coolers aren't great. I would wait to see how the AIB cards do before deciding how hot the cards get.

On another note, someone apparently manged to OC a 5700XT to 2.2Ghz with 250W. Almost matched a 2080FE in the one game that they tested so the card apparently also has some decent overclocking room.
    I'm throwing my Accelero 3 on my 5700XT today and I'm excited to see how low I can get the temps. I'm expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25C lower temps with Kryonaut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'm throwing my Accelero 3 on my 5700XT today and I'm excited to see how low I can get the temps. I'm expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25C lower temps with Kryonaut.
    Considering GN got theirs down 10-15 degrees with just washers, I'm expecting a better cooler and better paste to be more than 25 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Considering GN got theirs down 10-15 degrees with just washers, I'm expecting a better cooler and better paste to be more than 25 degrees
    Here's hoping! I also got the best cooling case I could find, the Silverstone RL06, even though it has major cable management drawbacks.

Nice let us know how it works out!

Honestly if i didnt buy my 2060 on release day ( i needed to i sold my old gpu ) i would have given amd a shot, at 350 bucks it pretty much owns the 2060. Its been many many years since i owned an amd gpu, im thinking around 2007 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nice let us know how it works out!

Honestly if i didnt buy my 2060 on release day ( i needed to i sold my old gpu ) i would have given amd a shot, at 350 bucks it pretty much owns the 2060. Its been many many years since i owned an amd gpu, im thinking around 2007 lol.
    I just really wanted to keep the all-AMD aesthetic, which is kind of a dumb reason, but it's still a value even with the $50 cooler, and it's a very good card.

My only concern is if I happen to get unlucky and got a bad card that fails in a week. I'll be out of luck on the warranty if that happens. Still worth it for the fun of doing the mod.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just really wanted to keep the all-AMD aesthetic, which is kind of a dumb reason, but it's still a value even with the $50 cooler, and it's a very good card.

My only concern is if I happen to get unlucky and got a bad card that fails in a week. I'll be out of luck on the warranty if that happens. Still worth it for the fun of doing the mod.
    I was about to say get an EVGA card but they don't make AMD ones.
    Depending on how they do the warranty stickers you might be able to circumvent them. Looking at the GN tear-down, there might not even be a warranty sticker, so just putting it back together should disguise what you've done

That's a lot of R&D cost AMD is having to carry right now.. They just got 1 new GPU and CPU architecture, and they're doing ANOTHER one? Not to mention that Zen1 is only like 2 years old too. Must be really working out for them
    It's more of a refinement of RDNA. They are also working on a 1660ti equivalent Navi GPU at the moment for the bottom end of the market.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I heard, they can't void your warranty for taking off the heat sink unless they can prove that the card bombed out because of your changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I heard, they can't void your warranty for taking off the heat sink unless they can prove that the card bombed out because of your changes.
    But then you'd have to take them to court to get them to uphold the warranty, because most companies will fight tooth and nail to not fulfil them if they don't have to. Kinda sad, but eh, that's life

There was a "void if removed" sticker over one of the screws, so I imagine they'd stick to that.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a "void if removed" sticker over one of the screws, so I imagine they'd stick to that.
    That sticket is illegal/invalid in the US and EU at least, unsure of other countries.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Not actually legally valid. It's only there so they can say "Nah" and if you disagree you have to take them to court. Which, let's be honest, you won't do. Like, if it goes to court you *WILL* get your warranty, but you'll have wasted a lot of time and money to get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    That sticket is illegal/invalid in the US and EU at least, unsure of other countries.
    Not actually legally valid. It's only there so they can say "Nah" and if you disagree you have to take them to court. Which, let's be honest, you won't do. Like, if it goes to court you *WILL* get your warranty, but you'll have wasted a lot of time and money to get it done
    Good to know! I wasn't aware of that.

I am pretty sure that you can go to small claims court so while it will cost some time, it won't cost any money. From what I have heard, the companies just don't pitch up at those hearings and you win by default.

10+ Year Old Account
    HEY!

LISTEN!!!

HEY!!!

LISTEN!!!!!

... oh wait wrong Navi
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I am pretty sure that you can go to small claims court so while it will cost some time, it won't cost any money. From what I have heard, the companies just don't pitch up at those hearings and you win by default.
    Right, and I might put up a fight for my car.. for example.. but if I can just work those couple days I would take off for the case I could just buy another Navi.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might be able to do that. But depending on where you are, you might have to pay a small fee to go to small claims (though you can ask for that to be paid by the losing side too)

15+ Year Old Account
    Usually once the small claim has been filed, for ~ $50, then they get a letter with 30 days to respond and magically a new video card appears on your doorstep.

As many people have pointed out, undervolting helps a lot. I was able to get temps down to 68C (hotspot; edge temp was 55C) and reach 2100MHz stable and continuous.

Very useful feature.

Edit: With Accelero 3 Xtreme cooler.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2019-07-14 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As many people have pointed out, undervolting helps a lot. I was able to get temps down to 68C (hotspot; edge temp was 55C) and reach 2100MHz stable and continuous.

Very useful feature.
    Is that on your aftermarket cooler or you back on the stock one?