Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe this falls under "Play stupid games win stupid prizes."

I feel bad for the officer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this suicide by cop thing. Is it implied that she intentionally pointed the fake gun at the cop, because she wanted him to kill her?

Or is it just an euphism for doing something stupid like pointing a fake gun at a cop?
    Its not a euphemism. Its an actual thing suicidal people sometimes do if they don't want to kill themselves but still want to 'end it'.

Example, someone might intentionally ram a police car then hope and while pretending to hold a gun so the cop will shoot them. The officer can't do anything but assume that the person has a gun and shoots them. Suicide by cop.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Why? I stated the whole thing didn't add up and we didn't have enough information for a conclusion. Are you expecting something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Sure thing. My post was mainly about generalities not specific to this individual case.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    This right here is why constructive conversations can't happen. Everything isn't always "nananan I was right and you were wrong". The central controversy surrounding this case was the communication breakdown between the police and the public. People have a right, if not a duty, to be suspicious when officials cannot adequately incidents communicate to the public. Considering the history of law enforcement in the US, including the current climate of affairs, mistrust isn't illogical.

Holding LEOs to a high standard isn't personal, nor should LEOs take it personally.
    I actually did not comment on this case at first because I also had my reservations, I mainly just wanted to see what the people most suspicious of the case had to say. Too often on this site we have people just leave after they were wrong and then the discussion dies(example is when any mass group of people get hit by a car or something explodes we have a bunch of people on this site come out of the woodwork and blame Muslims and then when the are proven they jumped the gun they vanish).

Also to your point I agree with you 100% and to further your point. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.a886433e2528
    A Florida cop planted meth on random drivers, police say. One lost custody of his daughter.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2019-07-14 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this suicide by cop thing. Is it implied that she intentionally pointed the fake gun at the cop, because she wanted him to kill her?
    Yes

Its a very common occurrence in the US given our police policies. Often times people call the police on themselves for this very thing...

Something like this happened a few years ago here in Cincinnati where the suicidal guy called the police on himself and then shot at the police who responded to his call, killing one of them.

https://fox6now.com/2015/06/20/polic...nding-officer/

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    So any of you want to comment after you all jumped the gun?
    Where did I jump the gun? I stated a possibility. You act as though it never happens. Guess what came out right about the same time as this girl being shot.....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/us/fl...ges/index.html
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its not a euphemism. Its an actual thing suicidal people sometimes do if they don't want to kill themselves but still want to 'end it'.

Example, someone might intentionally ram a police car then hope and while pretending to hold a gun so the cop will shoot them. The officer can't do anything but assume that the person has a gun and shoots them. Suicide by cop.
    It does seem a little messed up that the family and their attorney didn't mention "oh, and she had run away in the rental car and was on anti-depressents and..." during the news report stuff. I can understand wanting to find out what happened, but it seems like they (or the news reporting on it) hid some key info.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Where did I jump the gun? I stated a possibility. You act as though it never happens. Guess what came out right about the same time as this girl being shot.....

i think it's the idea that people should stfu with the speculating before the facts come in.

Umm I linked this article 2 posts above yours to add to Pacox point. So thanks for linking an article I already linked 2 hours before
    Also to your point I agree with you 100% and to further your point. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.a886433e2528

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Umm I linked this article 2 posts above yours to add to Pacox point.
    Replied to you before I read the rest of the thread.

When it comes down to it. If something happens with people in authority positions and there being a lack of explanation from said authority I'm going to question them first.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    i think it's the idea that people should stfu with the speculating before the facts come in.
    Exactly, we have too many people who just jump instantly to the worst of a given people. It is always good to wait for the facts to come out.

- - - Updated - - -
    Replied to you before I read the rest of the thread.

When it comes down to it. If something happens with people in authority positions and there being a lack of explanation from said authority I'm going to question them first.
    All good, and nothing wrong with questioning a situation.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Oh don't worry, it's nearly impossible to get a real gun in california. Seriously, guns have so many extra rules here it's not even funny, but I could hang a broadsword from my belt and wander around town with no legal complications as long as it's not concealed.
    You mean to say, California actually has true and thorough background checks for gun purchases.

Good on you, it should be nation wide.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So they finally release an edited video that apparently shows the girl pointing the replica gun at the officer, haven’t seen it myself since I don’t care to see someone getting shot.
    Thou I doubt the video won’t change anyone opinion of this case regardless of its contents.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    So they finally release an edited video that apparently shows the girl pointing the replica gun at the officer, haven’t seen it myself since I don’t care to see someone getting shot.
    Thou I doubt the video won’t change anyone opinion of this case regardless of its contents.
    Did not seem to be edited. And it was clear she pointed the fake gun at the officer, who had no knowledge it might even be fake.

It should if you had questions if the officer acted lawfully.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignorance at it's finest. Read up, multiple people changed their stance.

I have already linked a statement by the dead girls family lawyer saying that she was in a shooting stance.
    1:12 in the video below. Also the video below cuts out before she is shot. Here it is again.
    https://news.yahoo.com/bodycam-video...015410695.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    They didn't know what had happened either, it's just controlling the narrative. With how quick everyone is to jump to a conclusion once some information comes to light, it's better for them if they make sure that no negative information comes out until after the key evidence is actually released.
    They had called police to report she drove off and was on medications and such. So the police knew already, but hadn't released the information while they investigated. The family & their lawyer didn't know what happened on the side of the road, but did cover up that and also make it seem like she was a perfectly stable person that would never do something.

“The Williams Family wants to set the standards for transparency in this case,” Rev. Jarrett Maupin of the National Action Network said in a statement. “The public wants to know what happened and whether or not the officers involved followed all policies and procedures. We have doubts.”

Saying stuff like that when you knew the person was medicated and had just stolen the rental car and run away seems disingenuous. It might be understandable on some level that family doesn't want the girl dragged through the mud, but there are ways to ask for clarity without insinuating a frame job.

Quite possible that the father that called police didn't share all the info with other family members or the lawyer as well. I'm doubtful a lawyer would have hopped on the bandwagon if he had all the facts either.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

What is wrong with this world?