Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Was it Really about a Faction War?

With BfA on its final lap(s). Did it really feel like a faction war? To me it didn't. We're already working together again. Sure there were moments but, meh. What's going to happen to the two warfronts? I'm still waiting on retribution for Teldrassil too btw
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

There's still 8.2.5 and 8.3 to come so don't count the faction war out just yet.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    With BfA on its final lap(s). Did it really feel like a faction war? To me it didn't. We're already working together again. Sure there were moments but, meh. What's going to happen to the two warfronts? I'm still waiting on retribution for Teldrassil too btw
    There is no faction war. There hasnt been for a very, very long time. It is a plot device and nothing more. Not even a strong one. It feels forced, and really tacked on. Its far from my biggest complaint about the expac, not even top 10 probably, and in no way is it unique to BfA - its been pushed and forced for far too long.

I see absolutely no way this game would be in any way worse off if the faction war was ended, and we started working together. It can still be uneasy and skirmishes can break out, but it really should end. Its one of the many cyclical, repeating themes the game has.

"we hate each other grrrrrrrr, lets fight each other!!!! WAIT! something bigger and scarier! lets team up to kill it!!!! ok its dead now, lets go back to fighting each other over [resource] [land] [faction leader turned bad]"

15 years of this garbage and i think some people have just had enough of the writing style that only really fools 12yo kids.

I'd be very happy if this was just a long con to get the fence sitters ready for faction abolishment in 9.0...

BfA faction war is kind of a misdirection I think. Battling for Azeroth wasn't whether the Alliance or Horde would take reign over it, but the real fight, the battle for Azeroth, is to save it from destruction.

We got the whole planet is dying, bleeding azerite, and old god/void threats.

If the Alliance and Horde stayed pre-occupied with fighting each other, Azeroth would be lost.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just can't believe that the Alliance will defend a horde city after Anduin wouldn't dedicate any troops to help the Night Elves defend theirs. But it looks like it's going to happen.
    ― Ronald Regan

No all out faction war about world domination could have taken place if it weren't for the interference of some kind of 'Higher Beings' be that the Legion or the Old Gods (and maybe the Light). It never happened without them before, I don't know why anyone would think it would be different this time. It's always intertwined and we always get manipulated or forced right into it.
    That's not to say that there's no cause or hard feelings enough on either side that most don't join in quite happily, only a little prodding needed, but without interference it would be more like Vanilla where some splinter-factions start pushing for a fight and we have smaller battles for some zones. But never 'world domination or 'annihilation' like it was now or in Cata/MoP.

I just can't believe that the Alliance will defend a horde city after Anduin wouldn't dedicate any troops to help the Night Elves defend theirs. But it looks like it's going to happen.
    Eh that is not what happened...

That doesnt sound right.........either way, you over thinking it - there is no faction war. Nothing so far has had bugger all to do with any faction war. They can force it and push it to the front as much as they want with their (admittedly very nice) cinematic, but out in the world, the actual meaningful gameplay moments - faction war is a tacked on afterthought.

- - - Updated - - -

I still say remove most of the faction restrictions, let us play whatever characters we want, and play with whomever we want - Make everything cross faction - and to facilitate this, instead of class hall, and our garrisons, recreate them as a guild hall. Not anything overly elaborate and i wouldnt want much time invested - just a simple hangout area - this way anyone in our guild, of any race, can hang out in our own space, without having the jarring reality of Orcs running around Stormwind, or gnomes running around Org.

Just my opinion, ofc.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Eh that is not what happened...
    Which part?
    ― Ronald Regan

Is it ever about the "Faction War" no every expac that starts off with the faction war has petered out, whether is was because one side realized they were following a Batshit crazy herpaderp leader, or a case of "cooler heads prevailing" to calm the situation, it's never been fully about "faction war". It would really be hard to please players, with no interest in PvP, with a full "Faction War" expac.

If 8.3 isn’t faction war related the entire war has been a joke. You can’t resolve that storyline in one minor patch like 8.2.5.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he does and the Night Elves turn against him and we get rid of that horrible baby boy. He’s just awful. Best would be if Tyrande kills him in overwhelming rage.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

It's not that "Anduin wouldn't", he couldn't. They were already stretched thin with troops as it was in Kul Tiras and Zandalar, if you recall the cinematic "Lost Honor", it opens up with Genn telling Anduin "That's the last of the Soldiers, we'll be calling up Farmers next." (15 sec into the cinematic) Which all happens before the Tyrande scenario, where was Anduin supposed to get these "troops" to help her? Don't get me wrong if there was a way they could have and maintained their effort in the War, I'd be with you right there asking why, but they were already skating on thin ice before Tyrande demanded help.

Edit: Now that the Battle for Dazar'alor is over, the Alliance does have troops, and lets not forget all of Kul'Tiras.
    Last edited by Shadowsgrace; 2019-07-15 at 08:43 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Warfronts will probably get deleted, as they should for being bad content.

The faction thing is just a theme, meaning they put that in the narrative to justify some crap, but they don't put that in gameplay, they allow people to not be part of it which is a mistake.

Ideally factions should be removed from the game, make wpvp FFA and let everyone play with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Warfronts will probably get deleted, as they should for being bad content.

The faction thing is just a theme, meaning they put that in the narrative to justify some crap, but they don't put that in gameplay, they allow people to not be part of it which is a mistake.

Ideally factions should be removed from the game, make wpvp FFA and let everyone play with anyone.
    Or, leave Factions a thing... but remove Races being restricted to specific factions.

8.0 and 8.1 were largely about the faction war, as well as internal KT/Zandalar things. But I think it was pretty obvious from the outset, especially with them teasing Azshara at blizzcon, that the expansion would not END as a faction war story.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Or, leave Factions a thing... but remove Races being restricted to specific factions.
    For that you need a specific subject that puts people on one side or another, if it's not a racist thing like it is now then it would be a political thing most likely, and one based on something rather stupid. Also it wouldn't solve any problem, Blizzard keeps allowing people with barely any judgement do whatever they want instead of forcing a healthy community, so we end up with more people on one side and that outnumbering side just snowballs into attracting more people. That bullshit needs to be stopped like 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    8.0 and 8.1 were largely about the faction war, as well as internal KT/Zandalar things. But I think it was pretty obvious from the outset, especially with them teasing Azshara at blizzcon, that the expansion would not END as a faction war story.
    Faction war isn’t over as long as we haven’t dealt with Sylvanas. And finishing off Sylvanas in 8.2.5 which is a minor patch whereas 8.1 focused on “less important“ faction NPCs during the war? How would that work?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Faction war isn’t over as long as we haven’t dealt with Sylvanas. And finishing off Sylvanas in 8.2.5 which is a minor patch whereas 8.1 focused on “less important“ faction NPCs during the war? How would that work?
    It's effectively over if we end up uniting against SYlvanas, then she effectively becomes a third party villain that both factions are working against just like Garrosh did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    It's effectively over if we end up uniting against SYlvanas, then she effectively becomes a third party villain that both factions are working against just like Garrosh did.
    And Blizzard stated emphatically, "Sylvanas will not be a Garrosh 2.0".