Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Intel may be lacking a response now, but man I still have damn high hopes (for gaming perf) for their future dekstop CPUs- new arch + 10/7nm

hopefully its "sooner" (~2021) rather than later (2022 or 2023 lol)

if they fail to deliver (relatively large advances in gaming perf) even then - then yeah RIP Intel, for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sandor Clegane View Post
    Thats funny, where do you think the one you linked in reddit came from? A reliable source?

Your point could have have been made with out the personal stab. I know it is normal for most on here, but it makes taking you serious very hard. Read my entire post instead of the image.
    yeah looks like you are right, I was fooled by unreliable rumor as well lol. Thought that image came from an official Intel presentation or something

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    yeah looks like you are right, I was fooled by unreliable rumor as well lol. Thought that image came from an official Intel presentation or something
    It’s all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotality View Post
    People have proven that you can run 9th gen processors on 7th gen boards, 8bauer has a video on it, they jsut wanna rob people of some money buying boards(they don't need)
    Only the quad-core parts. The six and eight core parts wont work, as they draw additional power through some of the pins that werent used in the v1 LGA 1151.

And... seriously, this whine again in 2019?

Socket generational compatability is a non-issue. Virtually no one is upgrading every year willy-nilly. The number of people who have a good Ryzen 1 chip that are going to actually be able to use Ryzen 3 is.. fairly close to zero. Because a lot of those people have B350 boards which wont be updated. So that vaunted AM4 compatability? Almost pure bullshit. Only matters if you bought X370.

Most people keep their computers 5-6 years (or more); thats longer than the realistic life of a socket anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Because a lot of those people have B350 boards which wont be updated. So that vaunted AM4 compatability? Almost pure bullshit. Only matters if you bought X370.
    I have an ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming MB. I can drop a third gen Ryzen in tomorrow if I want. A 3950X would be out of the question and a 3900X is probably not a good idea but I wouldn't have a problem putting in any of the other third gen Ryzen CPU's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I have an ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming MB. I can drop a third gen Ryzen in tomorrow if I want. A 3950X would be out of the question and a 3900X is probably not a good idea but I wouldn't have a problem putting in any of the other third gen Ryzen CPU's.
    That's a pretty shit VRM, but yeah, 3rd gen 8 core should be fine. 2nd get 8 core I would be concerned about actually.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Socket generational compatability is a non-issue. Virtually no one is upgrading every year willy-nilly. The number of people who have a good Ryzen 1 chip that are going to actually be able to use Ryzen 3 is.. fairly close to zero. Because a lot of those people have B350 boards which wont be updated. So that vaunted AM4 compatability? Almost pure bullshit. Only matters if you bought X370.

Most people keep their computers 5-6 years (or more); thats longer than the realistic life of a socket anyway.
    agreed

if you haves money to waste by upgrading CPUs every year or two for at best single digit % boosts - then you have money to change sockets and mobos too

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason you'd get benefit from socket intercompatibility would be if you buy the first generation of a CPU and then the last. But even then, if you're redoing everything else in your PC, why not the MOBO too?

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The only reason you'd get benefit from socket intercompatibility would be if you buy the first generation of a CPU and then the last. But even then, if you're redoing everything else in your PC, why not the MOBO too?
    To me, the two places that socket consistency make a difference for are these:
    MB replacement - CPU's hardly ever go faulty, motherboards go faulty far more often. On more than on occasion I have had to toss a CPU because it was really expensive to get a replacement MB. Limiting the number of sockets means that you are much more likely to find a replacement board. Case in point, I can get a replacement board for a processor from 2010 for $70. One of the Intel sockets from 2010 was 1366. Try and buy a replacement motherboard for that. A while back I was looking for a replacement board for my I7-3770 and I battled to get them at the time. They seem to be more widespread these days so I probably picked a bad time. The simple fact is that you are going to have less problems with fewer sockets.
    CPU drop in replacement - It's nice to be able to drop a replacement CPU in. I have 4 PC's here at the house and a server. I often get a top of the range board for myself and cheaper ones for the kids. When I upgrade, I just rotate the CPU's. I will take my old CPU out and drop it in one the kids PC's for a free upgrade and then get rid of their one. I do the same thing with GPU's. It's a bit different this year because we have a mix of machines (I7-2600, I7-3770, FX-8320, R5 1700 and I3-4160 for the server) but I will definitely be consolidating hardware going forward again. It's not just me, though, take a look at /r/hardwareswap and you will often see people selling CPU's without motherboards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That's a pretty shit VRM, but yeah, 3rd gen 8 core should be fine. 2nd get 8 core I would be concerned about actually.
    It's supposed to have the same VRM's as the AMD B450 so they are pretty good. I went and took a look now, I should even be able to run the 3950X at stock. I never overclock so it's a viable option for me. Not that I plan on doing that, though, because I want to start switching the other machines in the house to Ryzen's so I will need to get new motherboards all around and get rid of the i7's and i3. It's a simple price/performance question. I can get 2 x cheap 6 core Ryzen's with MB's for between $150 and $200 each and then grab myself a third gen Ryzen with a good motherboard in a couple of months when everything settles down - Black Friday

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    agreed

if you haves money to waste by upgrading CPUs every year or two for at best single digit % boosts - then you have money to change sockets and mobos too
    I am with you. I get tired of buying new mobo’s, but if your buying a new cpu you might as well install it on a new mobo.

It's supposed to have the same VRM's as the AMD B450 so they are pretty good. I went and took a look now, I should even be able to run the 3950X at stock. I never overclock so it's a viable option for me. Not that I plan on doing that, though, because I want to start switching the other machines in the house to Ryzen's so I will need to get new motherboards all around and get rid of the i7's and i3. It's a simple price/performance question. I can get 2 x cheap 6 core Ryzen's with MB's for between $150 and $200 each and then grab myself a third gen Ryzen with a good motherboard in a couple of months when everything settles down - Black Friday
    No, that VRM is bad. Yes, a lot of boards have it: pretty much all ASUS boards minus some highend X470, all Gigabyte B450 boards and all X470 (minus the minor differences of some boards having more mosfets per phase) except the Gaming 7 and some lowend MSI boards. But that doesnt mean it's good. Also ASUS has some of the shittiest heatsinks on 400 series. I dont think you will be able to run 3950X at stock inside of a case, on a bench with VRM airflow - sure.

Buying a lot of boards on BF is a pretty good idea, but please dont buy stuff like you have there. Boards using actual powerstages are pretty expensive (for ASUS it's X470-F and Hero, for Gigabyte it's only Gaming 7, MSI - only Gaming M7, ASRock - only Taichi, and it's the cheapest of all of them), so just get something that is using better mosfets, like MSI Tomahawk or Gaming Pro Carbon.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    These leaks, all of them are fake. As most concluded. Intel has not released anything on this, at all according to GN.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxONVPzMl0c

Yes, your totally irrelevant anecdotal experience of having one of the like... four B350 boards to receive Ryzen 3 compatability is definitely the universal truth.

Most people buy the cheapest non-complete-garbage board that meets their needs, and a lot of people buy prebuilts and/or the literal cheapest board they can get.

Ergo, MOST people cant upgrade to Ryzen 3; EVERYONE on this forum who posts semi-regularly is already an anecdotal outlier - just for the fact that we post on forums and build our own rigs. Our experiences arent terribly relevant to the greater truth.

So, AMDs much-vaunted “long socket life” isnt relevant to most people and turned out to be mostly bullshit. Big shock.

Edit: i want to be clear im not holding that against AMD except for the fact that they bothered to say it. Its the mistruth that i have issue with, not the reality of the socket not truly having a super long life for most users. Like i said, most people keep their rigs well past even AMDs supposed 4-year life, so, whatever. Just dont fucking lie about it.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2019-07-16 at 09:26 PM.

Yes, your totally irrelevant anecdotal experience of having one of the like... four B350 boards to receive Ryzen 3 compatability is definitely the universal truth.

Most people buy the cheapest non-complete-garbage board that meets their needs, and a lot of people buy prebuilts and/or the literal cheapest board they can get.

Ergo, MOST people cant upgrade to Ryzen 3; EVERYONE on this forum who posts semi-regularly is already an anecdotal outlier - just for the fact that we post on forums and build our own rigs. Our experiences arent terribly relevant to the greater truth.

So, AMDs much-vaunted “long socket life” isnt relevant to most people and turned out to be mostly bullshit. Big shock.

Edit: i want to be clear im not holding that against AMD except for the fact that they bothered to say it. Its the mistruth that i have issue with, not the reality of the socket not truly having a super long life for most users. Like i said, most people keep their rigs well past even AMDs supposed 4-year life, so, whatever. Just dont fucking lie about it.
    What on earth are you on about? Every single AMD MB supplier has announced support on their boards for Ryzen third gen. The only one that doesn't support it is A320. All that is needed is a BIOS update. Some new features are not supported such as PBO and PCI 4 but that's pretty obvious. Whether the VRM's can handle things is a different story but that only applies to the 12 and 16 core processors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    https://i.redd.it/jns90zhx3o731.png

It can run a 12 core but I really wouldnt do that. 8 core should work fine yeah. But at the end of the day its still a 4 phase board, and that limits the amount of power you can give a CPU. Not sure how effective the VRM/heatsinks are on that board, but they're probably not great. Probably the basic "look cool, but no surface area" types of heatsinks being used.

As for Intel, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. We might even see a dent in their Q3 results now that AMD has turned into a fairly heavy hitting competitor.

What on earth are you on about? Every single AMD MB supplier has announced support on their boards for Ryzen third gen. The only one that doesn't support it is A320. All that is needed is a BIOS update. Some new features are not supported such as PBO and PCI 4 but that's pretty obvious. Whether the VRM's can handle things is a different story but that only applies to the 12 and 16 core processors.
    The more of your posts i read, the more i wonder if you are in touch with reality at all. Are you also the kind of guy that sticks his fingers in his ears and does the “lalalalalalla not listening” when you cant handle being wrong? Seems that way.

AMD said that it was up to MB manufacturers.

Most B450 boards got announcements right away. Most B350 have recieved NO updates and NO announcements. A320 is just straight-up incompatible (which is STILL a breach of what AMD said), but B350 support relies on the manufacturers bothering to update the BIOS. And they aren’t. And AMD isnt forcing them (which they should). I’ve got 3 B350 boards sitting here in the house. The only one that is getting a Ryzen 3 update is the Fatal1ty B350 mITX board in my sons rig... because thats actually a fairly high end board. The other two are stuck at Ryzen 2.

So, maybe instead of assuming that because your fairly high-end board got an update that obviously they all did, actually.. like.. look? I cant put you on ignore, or i already would have, but from this point on im gong to do my level best to just pretend you dont exist. Try to do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    As for Intel, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. We might even see a dent in their Q3 results now that AMD has turned into a fairly heavy hitting competitor.
    ... Not too likely. Intel doesn’t make money from the DIY market. Like.. barely single digits of their profit. They could literally sell zero CPUs to the DIY market and not notice.

Almost all of their profit comes from contracts with the Dell/HP/etc’s of the world, embedded solutions, and laptops (where AMD has aproximately zero competitive products). A decent portion comes from midrange server market as well (corporate IT, with “real big servers” being dominated by IBMs POWER architecture with a growing sideline of ARM), and in that market, perhaps, AMD could make some headway as Epyc is quite competitive.

Thats kinda why i laugh every time i see the “Intel is doomed, doomed i tell you!” Exclamations from AMD fanboys. They have zero. Understanding of the marketplace and where the companies actually make their money.

AMD is largely afloat because of the console business, and Intel because of a bunch of markets that people here dont care about.

Which is not to say the DIY market isnt important beyond the scope of its actual sales numbers. Mindshare is a powerful thing, and AMD is making up Mindshare extremely well. Hope they keep at it, and keep succeeding, as more pressure on Intel can only lower prices and increase R&D and better tech moving forward.

... Not too likely. Intel doesn’t make money from the DIY market. Like.. barely single digits of their profit. They could literally sell zero CPUs to the DIY market and not notice.

Almost all of their profit comes from contracts with the Dell/HP/etc’s of the world, embedded solutions, and laptops (where AMD has aproximately zero competitive products). A decent portion comes from midrange server market as well (corporate IT, with “real big servers” being dominated by IBMs POWER architecture with a growing sideline of ARM), and in that market, perhaps, AMD could make some headway as Epyc is quite competitive.

Thats kinda why i laugh every time i see the “Intel is doomed, doomed i tell you!” Exclamations from AMD fanboys. They have zero. Understanding of the marketplace and where the companies actually make their money.

AMD is largely afloat because of the console business, and Intel because of a bunch of markets that people here dont care about.

Which is not to say the DIY market isnt important beyond the scope of its actual sales numbers. Mindshare is a powerful thing, and AMD is making up Mindshare extremely well. Hope they keep at it, and keep succeeding, as more pressure on Intel can only lower prices and increase R&D and better tech moving forward.
    Yeah, true. Q3 might have been an optimistic timeframe, but will be interesting to see how the business changes, thats for sure.

The more of your posts i read, the more i wonder if you are in touch with reality at all. Are you also the kind of guy that sticks his fingers in his ears and does the “lalalalalalla not listening” when you cant handle being wrong? Seems that way.

AMD said that it was up to MB manufacturers.

Most B450 boards got announcements right away. Most B350 have recieved NO updates and NO announcements. A320 is just straight-up incompatible (which is STILL a breach of what AMD said), but B350 support relies on the manufacturers bothering to update the BIOS. And they aren’t. And AMD isnt forcing them (which they should). I’ve got 3 B350 boards sitting here in the house. The only one that is getting a Ryzen 3 update is the Fatal1ty B350 mITX board in my sons rig... because thats actually a fairly high end board. The other two are stuck at Ryzen 2.

So, maybe instead of assuming that because your fairly high-end board got an update that obviously they all did, actually.. like.. look? I cant put you on ignore, or i already would have, but from this point on im gong to do my level best to just pretend you dont exist. Try to do the same.
    This will be my last reply on this subject. Before you start throwing out insults, perhaps you should do some research otherwise you might end up with a bit of egg on your face. Every single B350 motherboard with the exception of two ASRock boards (the version numbers are confusing or missing so I can't be sure that they support Zen 2) have been updated to work with Zen 2. AGESA 1.0.0.1 is needed to support Zen 2. AGESA 1.0.0.3 is better but the CPU will work with 1.0.0.1. ASRock have only released AGESA 1.0.0.1 bioses for most of their boards. Everyone else is on AGESA 1.0.0.3. Here are the download links if you want to take a look. All of the motherboard suppliers announced that they would be updating for Zen 2 before 7/7/2019. I was watching for the announcements because ASUS was one of the last to make that announcement.

Gigabyte B350 Boards that support Zen 2

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios

AS Rock B350 Boards that support Zen 2

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350%...index.asp#BIOS
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M...index.asp#BIOS
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1...index.asp#BIOS
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1...index.asp#BIOS

ASRock - Unknown

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#BIOS

MSI B350 Boards that support Zen 2

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...50M-GAMING-PRO
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...-MORTAR-ARCTIC
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-PRO-VDH
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...0M-PRO-VD-PLUS
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...0M-PRO-VH-PLUS
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350I-PRO-AC
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...OMAHAWK-ARCTIC
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...ING-PRO-CARBON
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...50-GAMING-PLUS
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...0-KRAIT-GAMING
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...-TOMAHAWK-PLUS

ASUS B350 Boards that support Zen 2

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    https://i.redd.it/jns90zhx3o731.png

It can run a 12 core but I really wouldnt do that.
    Yeah, on open bench with a fan on top of VRM.

- - - Updated - - -

AB350M - so far nope. AB350M Pro4 - yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm i was gonna buy a 9900k this week but i didnt because i didnt want to replace my cpu and mobo as im lazy. Maybe i should hold out.