Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Man I should have shouted that when the airport stole my toenail clippers.
    Lol! Yep. They violated your personal rights to your property. Hire a lawyer who will only accept money if you win and sue them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, rosaries, the government feels , has the potential to be unsafe. I think it would hold up in the courts. The fact remains, under certain conditions, the law says the authorities can seize some personal property.
    I'm not religious by any means but, I see the premise of it becoming a weapon to stab someone. So a precautionary measure yes but, can also be unneeded. It's a fine line between over policing and being safe. Very difficult in the situations that these people are currently in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    When you got to jail, don't they search you, take all your stuff and put it in an envelope? They give it back to you when you leave?
    Of course.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I wouldn't trust news from www.insider.com no more.

They hid the date of the photo in the middle of the article, knowing that Trump is a million times more news worthy than Obama or Bush. Maybe 1 out of 20 people would read that far.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    A weapon is probably considered a nominal response. I would more than likely want their weapons to be taken because, emotions can be high and tensions are high. The process and detention already has everyone at a heightened state and having a weapon is not a good idea in human hands. So yes, I agree with you there on that.

But, for seemingly personal items that visually or fundamentally do not pose a risk to life or property? Seems a little bit outrageous that these agents are just doing whatever they want. I bet in some cases, some agents secretly take women to closets and tell them to strip. I mean, probably not but, it always comes out later than 1 guy was arrested later on down the road because, it was framed for doing such things.
    I think this guys post covers why we shouldn't take the OPs stance seriously

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51402135

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    I'm not religious by any means but, I see the premise of it becoming a weapon to stab someone. So a precautionary measure yes but, can also be unneeded. It's a fine line between over policing and being safe. Very difficult in the situations that these people are currently in.
    I do not see it as a issue anyway. They come here, unlawfully, then should expect to abide by our laws. Which may result in some undesirable conditions and having some personal stuff seized.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I wouldn't trust news from www.insider.com no more.

They hid the date of the photo in the middle of the article, knowing that Trump is a million times more news worthy than Obama or Bush. Maybe 1 out of 20 people would read that far.
    Judging by these forum regulars, most don't read past the headline, and the headline is usually bullshit click bait that doesn't describe what really happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you could hide drugs in them. Or heck made them out of drugs.

All you need is a press and some color. So this is probaly the reason why they were taken away.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    lol, shes so easy to spot.
    A usual suspect, you mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    So fake news thread. What is there to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Its "Trump puts children in cages photo" all over again.

If they were seized for security reasons I see nothing wrong with this.
    They are removed for safety reasons. It's the same reason ur shoelaces, hoodie strings, belts, are taken if you're arrested. People do crazy stuff when they are detained.

Reading the article it looks like they were given 30 days to retrieve them. So his whole shpiel about "these are deeply personal, important items that must be preserved!" seems to be disagreed with by the owners of said items, who left them behind.

Going through them and showing that publicly as a way to see into the lives of the people crossing the border and what they're like seems nice but kind of invading their privacy? I could compare it to rummaging through someone's garbage on an archeological dig.

Your comparison to plunder is exaggerating considering the rather obvious fact of these aren't monetarily valuable items and they're not being kept.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish the mods wouldn't treat the politics forum like a dump and pile this trash here when they can and should lock it instead.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I wish the mods wouldn't treat the politics forum like a dump and pile this trash here when they can and should lock it instead.
    Careful now, you might get punished for saying that people who condone running over crowds with cars are deplorable.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    People lost some meaningless trinkets. whoop-de-doo

lol, what's the punishment for somebody who supported Hillary?
    I am not religious, but I have a rosary. It was my grandmother's. It's an old ornate little thing with ivory beads and a cross carved out of horn.

I have many memories of my grandmother praying with them, wearing it either as a necklace or a bracelet. It's a personal effect, not a meaningless trinket.

The punishment for supporting Hillary should be a little bumper sticker that says - At least I am not un-American, Racist, Fascist, Rape apologist Trumpkin.