Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Aaand now you're moving goalposts, to "swatting the officer's arms away".

You could've just admitted you were wrong rather than trying to dishonestly shift the goalposts you yourself set.
    Putting your hands up and not doing what the officer says IS resisting arrest.

http://www.husseinandwebber.com/crim...hout-violence/
    EXAMPLES OF RESISTING
    Even seemingly minor actions by a suspect or arrestee can constitute ‘resistance’ within the meaning of Section 843.02. Common examples include:

Tensing arms while being handcuffed. M.J. v. State, 994 So. 2d 485 (Fla. 3d DCA 1985);
    Not obeying lawful verbal commands;
    Refusing to sit down. S.L. v. State, 96 So. 3d 1080, 1089 (Fla. 3d DCA 2012);
    Refusing to be handcuffed or otherwise evading handcuffs. P.B. v. State, 899 So. 2d 480 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005);
    Giving information deemed to be false or misleading during a lawful arrest or detention. Fripp v. State, 766 So. 2d 252, 254 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000);
    Concealing evidence. Jean-Marie v. State, 947 So. 2d 484, 489 (Fla. 3d DCA 2007);
    Refusing to leave an area when required. Wilkerson v. State, 556 So. 2d 453, 456 (Fla. 1st DCA 1990);
    Evading police when there is reasonable suspicion of criminal wrongdoing. Williams v. State, 55 So. 3d 596 (Fla. 3d DCA 2011);
    Interfering with active police investigation, or acting as a “look out” to prevent an intended arrest. Porter v. State, 582 So. 2d 41 (Fla. 4th DCA 1991).
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2019-07-17 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Putting your hands up and not doing what the officer says IS resisting arrest.
    Are we talking "putting your hands up", or are we talking about "evading handcuffs"?

You folks keep moving goalposts whenever challenged.

Aaand now you're moving goalposts, to "swatting the officer's arms away".

You could've just admitted you were wrong rather than trying to dishonestly shift the goalposts you yourself set.
    That's not moving goal post, they even said it in the video. Holy shit man admit you are wrong, he resisted arrest, that is a FACT.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking "putting your hands up", or are we talking about "evading handcuffs"?

Dude you should totally put "you are moving the goalpost" in you sig because that is your go to defense when you lose an argument, it will save you time from having to reply with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    That's not moving goal post, they even said it in the video. Holy shit man admit you are wrong, he resisted arrest, that is a FACT.
    You were making a general statement, not a claim based on Garner specifically. I responded to that general statement.

You are, again, moving goalposts.

Dude you should totally put "you are moving the goalpost" in you sig because that is your go to defense when you lose an argument, it will save you time from having to reply with it.
    It's not my fault there are commonly repeated dishonest tactics used on forums.

I'm responding directly to your dishonest shifting of the argument when challenged. I'm not avoiding anything, I'm just not letting you pull me into a different argument, when you realize you can't possibly defend the original one.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

BOTH they are both resisting arrest. As I have stated about 4 times already. Not complying to an officer trying to arrest you. Which is specifically what was being talking about. The actions he took during the arrest when he was putting his hands up and evading handcuffs are BOTH resisting arrest.

Jesus, you must be fun at a party...

You were making a general statement, not a claim based on Garner specifically. I responded to that general statement.

You are, again, moving goalposts.

It's not my fault there are commonly repeated dishonest tactics used on forums.

I'm responding directly to your dishonest shifting of the argument when challenged. I'm not avoiding anything, I'm just not letting you pull me into a different argument, when you realize you can't possibly defend the original one.
    I was not making a general statement, you are dishonest in your assessment and can't admit when you are wrong.

I don't think the officer violated his civil rights. They were arresting him for selling cigarettes and Garner resisted. He died while resisting arrest.

Some have said that Garner was somewhat mentally handicapped. It's a shame he was killed but I don't think the cop intended to kill him. The cop just wanted to take him into custody.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I was not making a general statement, you are dishonest in your assessment and can't admit when you are wrong.
    Let's go to where this started;

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone
    I watched the video. He put his hands up and asked the cops to leave him alone. He was then put in a choke hold and pinned to the ground.
    And that is resisting arrest, you can't just say "leave me a lone" and the cops leave you a lone, that's fucking stupid.
    Added some emphasis to what you were responding to in Ivanstone's post.

You made a general statement about what is or is not "resisting arrest". Specifically, that "putting your hands up and asking the cops to leave you alone" is resisting arrest.

You're just trying to shift this away from what you said, likely because you realize you can't defend it.

Let's go to where this started;

Added some emphasis to what you were responding to in Ivanstone's post.

You made a general statement about what is or is not "resisting arrest". Specifically, that "putting your hands up and asking the cops to leave you alone" is resisting arrest.

You're just trying to shift this away from what you said, likely because you realize you can't defend it.
    and in that context it's still resisting arrest. I hope you never get arrested because you're fucked if you do.

Just keep walking backwards with your hands up as they try to cuff you until you get into your house since they can't touch you because you're not resisting and then they need a warrant to get you. #Enduslogic
    Last edited by zenkai; 2019-07-17 at 06:37 PM.

I don't get why Garner thought he could resist arrest and expect any outcome other than a bunch of cops taking him down and putting him in hand cuffs. That being said, his daughter died about a year ago from a heart condition as well which would indicate that this type of thing runs in the family and the man was a ticking time bomb.

- - - Updated - - -

and in that context it's still resisting arrest. I hope you never get arrested because you're fucked if you do.

Just keep walking backwards with your hands up as they try to cuff you until you get into your house since they can't touch you because you're not resisting and then they need a warrant to get you. #Enduslogic
    It's kind of sad that people are still trying to dispute what happened here and are implying that the police decided to randomly assassinate Eric Garner while being filmed because he was selling cigarettes. Like there are definitely cases where the cops clearly went over the line, this is not one of those. Ben Shapiro said it best that things like facts and evidence mean nothing to black lives matter and their allies.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I don't get why Garner thought he could resist arrest and expect any outcome other than a bunch of cops taking him down and putting him in hand cuffs. That being said, his daughter died about a year ago from a heart condition as well which would indicate that this type of thing runs in the family and the man was a ticking time bomb.

- - - Updated - - -

It's kind of sad that people are still trying to dispute what happened here and are implying that the police decided to randomly assassinate Eric Garner while being filmed because he was selling cigarettes. Like there are definitely cases where the cops clearly went over the line, this is not one of those. Ben Shapiro said it best that things like facts and evidence mean nothing to black lives matter and their allies.
    its kind of sad that you think a chokehold is assassination and that this was nothing more than police dealing with a resisting arrest and the resister died because he made more health choices that complicated his Asthma.

its kind of sad that you think a chokehold is assassination and that this was nothing more than police dealing with a resisting arrest and the resister died because he made more health choices that complicated his Asthma.
    What's sad is your reading comprehension.

Do in the US asking a police officer to not kill you is justification for them to kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Do in the US asking a police officer to not kill you is justification for them to kill you?
    An average person wouldn't have died in that situation, how hard is that to comprehend?

Using a chokehold is against police procedure, especially over a few cigarettes.

What's next choke holding J-walkers for "resisting arrest"?

An average person wouldn't have died in that situation, how hard is that to comprehend?
    And that's a crap excuse. SOP should take into account that people exist outside the average (not that SOP appears to have been followed here anyway).

The problem is, I live in a civilised country where police officers dont have free reign to abuse their power, Upto and including killing people and face absolutely no consequences for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    And that's a crap excuse. SOP should take into account that people exist outside the average (not that SOP appears to have been followed here anyway).

The problem is, I live in a civilised country where police officers dont have free reign to abuse their power, Upto and including killing people and face absolutely no consequences for their actions.
    It isn't a crap excuse, if it was the guy would have been charged. But thank god there are still people with common sense to override emotional people such as yourself.

It isn't a crap excuse, if it was the guy would have been charged. But thank god there are still people with common sense to override emotional people such as yourself.
    Because the legal system is 100 percent perfect. Innocent people don't get locked up, and criminals never walk free.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't a crap excuse, if it was the guy would have been charged.
    "If the lynching wasn't justified, they would have been charged!"

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Zenkai defending bloodthirsty police and implying that the man who was murdered deserved it. What else is new?
    change can't wait.