Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gearing in 8.2 is completely backwards

Let's keep this short and simple. If I said that PvP should reward the best gear for PvP and raiding should reward the best gear for raiding, no one would disagree. Saying anything to the contrary would be completely backwards. And yet in 8.2 the best gear for raiding comes from world content (benthic gear) and the best gear for PvP comes from the new raid (thanks to disgustingly OP trinkets that don't get scaled down in PvP).

This is not about viable gear being obtainable from multiple sources. This is about traditional top end sources of gear being completely devalued. Just today I got a 455 TF piece from my weekly chest but it's worse than my benthic piece for the same slot. Am I supposed to be happy about the crazy TF proc? No I'm fucking furious that it's completely worthless for the new raid.

Then you have PvP. What's the point of farming arenas and RBGs for the infinitesimally small chance of getting gear if you get better and more OP gear for far less effort from smashing the new raid on heroic or doing m+? There's none.

Bring back resilience on PvP gear and disable PvE trinkets in arena. This system worked for 6 expansions. There's no reason to change it now. Nuke sockets and effects on benthic gear. Let casuals keep their broken benthic effects in Nazjatar. I don't want to be vendoring 455 piece after 455 piece for the next 6 months because I already have BiS from mindlessly grinding manapearls. This madness has to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    This is not about viable gear being obtainable from multiple sources. This is about traditional top end sources of gear being completely devalued. Just today I got a 455 TF piece from my weekly chest but it's worse than my benthic piece for the same slot. Am I supposed to be happy about the crazy TF proc? No I'm fucking furious that it's completely worthless for the new raid.

I feel you. Benthic tuning is off. I think it'd be fine if they were close to equal to mythic when you roll a good piece with a socket, because it takes a lot of dedication, but that's about it.

You should hold on to that 455 piece though. There's a good chance that a nerf is in the pipeline. Tbh, I'm surprised that there wasn't one yesterday.

So basically your mad about all the time you spent farming mana pearls to get the chance at a BiS (that requires a socket proc)? What are you more mad about the rng or that its a BiS not coming from a raid? I mean you sound like the kind of person who likes to min/max so you know what that involves. O wait I know your mad because anyone with time can get a BiS piece from not raiding. I'm mad at mana pearls too bruh. Muh bracers won't proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappidoo View Post
    So basically your mad about all the time you spent farming mana pearls to get the chance at a BiS (that requires a socket proc)? What are you more mad about the rng or that its a BiS not coming from a raid? I mean you sound like the kind of person who likes to min/max so you know what that involves. O wait I know your mad because anyone with time can get a BiS piece from not raiding. I'm mad at mana pearls too bruh. Muh bracers won't proc.
    Only one whos getting socket on benthic-gear is my mage-alt, one time. I am counting 50+ pieces now. MUCHOS MADOS!

While I generally agree, your weekly chest item is a bad example of that, because while it's not the best for your raid, is that also true for m+ where you got it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Only one whos getting socket on benthic-gear is my mage-alt, one time. I am counting 50+ pieces now. MUCHOS MADOS!
    Only 50+? I've had decent luck on boots and belt but dem bracers I'm well over 150 I've proced sockets on the 2 other versions I don't need multiple time. De'ed a Warforged bracer from my Weekly chest. Got a BoE bracer in raid last night. Gear troll game is strongk this week.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bring back resilience on PvP gear and disable PvE trinkets in arena. This system worked for 6 expansions. There's no reason to change it now. Nuke sockets and effects on benthic gear. Let casuals keep their broken benthic effects in Nazjatar. I don't want to be vendoring 455 piece after 455 piece for the next 6 months because I already have BiS from mindlessly grinding manapearls. This madness has to end.
    The logic that Blizzard has tried to apply here and people like yourself seem to not understand is...Blizzard has for once made gear to be but an afterthought, not the center of attention that many over the years have tried to make it out to be. Hell, the gear has become far more important to some than the raid content in which they acquire the gear from, hence why there is not tier gear and all gear looks basically the same, with a few alteration and various color schemes. Blizzard wants the content and only the content to matter, no matter if it is world content, dungeon content, raid content, or pvp content. Which means pieces from various aspects of all the content will and should provide all with the ability to acquire the various piece that many have literally made and called BiS over the years. Those piece now come from all content, not just raid content, as it should be.

This game started out as a journey through the content, and that means all content. This game has been whittled down to the gear being more important than the content itself. If anything, Blizzard has made it pretty obvious over the last few expansions in which way they are heading. The endless BS over gear and who or what should have it or access to it is simply now and afterthought in this current content. Which from a community standpoint is going in the right direction. The hatred, strife, and all the rest over gear has simply taken a life of its own over expansion to expansion.

The content really does not matter anymore, people whine about having to repeat content over and over again. Well, that is the nature of the beast when it comes to an MMO. Blizzard has conditioned part of this base of people to thinking gear and raid content are far more important than the rest of the games content. Their attempts at trying to make pvp to be on the same level over the years has simply failed. They should have a talent tree for pvp and another one for pve, and tune each for their perspective type of play. This nonsense of trying to conform a single talent to be be used in both is a very flawed system at best. Which leads to constant nerfing and uptick various aspects of the various talents that end up OP in one or the other type of content.

Gear should not matter in this game and Blizzard chose the wrong path when they made it so, so long ago. Hopefully what they have done here in this expansion carries over. It sure would make the community overall a better community. Content no matter the content should matter more than gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Apexis View Post
    Gear should not matter in this game and Blizzard chose the wrong path when they made it so, so long ago. Hopefully what they have done here in this expansion carries over. It sure would make the community overall a better community. Content no matter the content should matter more than gear.
    RPGs are all about tackling harder content to get better gear and see your character grow. Why the fuck play an RPG at all if you don't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappidoo View Post
    Only 50+? I've had decent luck on boots and belt but dem bracers I'm well over 150 I've proced sockets on the 2 other versions I don't need multiple time. De'ed a Warforged bracer from my Weekly chest. Got a BoE bracer in raid last night. Gear troll game is strongk this week.
    At least 50! I am a casual pearl-farmer I guess. I even used a lot for my two alts that I play most. Was lucky with the chest though, 440 legs with bis stats AND socket, happy face.

5+ Year Old Account
    RPGs are all about tackling harder content to get better gear and see your character grow. Why the fuck play an RPG at all if you don't like it?
    That applies to PvE only. In PvP, equal footing is a must, that's why the PvE gear treadmill doesn't work there. So they have two types of content with diametrically opposed gearing philosophies, so the result being quite messy shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

There's nothing wrong with being able to get a few BiS pieces from an arduous world content grind (i.e. Benthic gear). At the end of the day, most classes will have, what - 3 benthic pieces equipped? Some specs just 2? Why are you so bent out of shape that people can grind some BiS gear from world content? You can't just go farm mana pearls until your eyes bleed and get decked out from stem to stern; if you want to have a good gear set you'll have to do other content.

Frankly, I think the only people that have a valid argument are mythic raiders that think it's stupid they have to farm world content for BiS gear. I would say I agree with them, it's pretty stupid. But this 'sky is falling' attitude is just the latest in the endless chain of whining that has come to plague this game. Get over it and go run the content you enjoy. And if you don't enjoy any of the content, ffs find a new game.

Starting to sound like whining and beating a dead horse with this moaning about Benthic gear. If you do not want to make the effort and time to farm the Benthic gear, you do not have to. It is simply another path to gear. Enough with the childish whinging.

WoW has changed I don't think for the better but some disagree. The past is over... kill it if you have to. The future of wow is grinding dailies to compete at the highest levels of pve pvp. The brave gamers that fought the badge vendors lost and from their defeat spawned this monstrosity...

Now brave adventurers are turning back the clock and starting over in classic. Those that remain I wish them well but this grim future of bfa and beyond is to much for me.

Let's keep this short and simple. If I said that PvP should reward the best gear for PvP and raiding should reward the best gear for raiding, no one would disagree. Saying anything to the contrary would be completely backwards. And yet in 8.2 the best gear for raiding comes from world content (benthic gear) and the best gear for PvP comes from the new raid (thanks to disgustingly OP trinkets that don't get scaled down in PvP).

Then you have PvP. What's the point of farming arenas and RBGs for the infinitesimally small chance of getting gear if you get better and more OP gear for far less effort from smashing the new raid on heroic or doing m+? There's none.

Feels good man very good man!

Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post
    I feel you. Benthic tuning is off. I think it'd be fine if they were close to equal to mythic when you roll a good piece with a socket, because it takes a lot of dedication, but that's about it.

You should hold on to that 455 piece though. There's a good chance that a nerf is in the pipeline. Tbh, I'm surprised that there wasn't one yesterday.
    Let the playerbase grind it out and then nerf it into the ground so it was all wasted. Common practice, especially in f2p games like World of Tanks where they release new OP tanks and after a month or two they nerf them back to be in line. People waste time/money on that tank and then have a couple weeks of fun. In the end it's about the MAU.

10+ Year Old Account
    "gear is only a tool to down bosses"

HOW DARE they give you powerful tools so quickly!

And here we see, folks, that the "we only care about gear because it's a means to kill things faster" line is, at least for some, bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post

I mean they can not really nerf the Benthic gear when people farmed multiple thousand mana pearls for the lottery. That would be just bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dinousek View Post
    Starting to sound like whining and beating a dead horse with this moaning about Benthic gear. If you do not want to make the effort and time to farm the Benthic gear, you do not have to. It is simply another path to gear. Enough with the childish whinging.
    No. This is a design decision that should never be repeated in the future and it is important to complain about it. A lot.

A lot of people would disagree. For me I love that high end gear comes from various sources. For most of those "6 expansions where it worked" PvE gear was the best in PvP.

And yet in 8.2 the best gear for raiding comes from world content (benthic gear) and the best gear for PvP comes from the new raid (thanks to disgustingly OP trinkets that don't get scaled down in PvP).
    Let's be real, pvp-pve gear balance is probably the worst its ever been. Pve trinkets shouldn't work in pvp and vice versa. I don't even see the intention of pushing players to farm raid content to get an broken absorb trinket or whatever and nerf it into the ground as soon as the next raid opens.

Also i don't think benthic gear is the problem. Its basically what we as player wanted for a long time now. Done wrong like everything in bfa, but not inheritly bad.
    But the balancing of random sockets and secondary stats is the actual problem. This isn't restricted to benthic gear. Sockets should be way less powerfull or should always be on specific slots.
    Last edited by Foolicious; 2019-07-17 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh .. another thread from someone who thinks Gearing = the game. If that's why you play, do yourself a favor and move on from WoW.

Gear is a means to an end, not the end itself. Period.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)