Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Woman Accused of Sexually Abusing Children at Her Day Care Gets 30 Days in Jail

https://people.com/crime/woman-accus...-days-in-jail/

A 52-year-old Ohio woman accused of abusing children at a non-registered day care she operated was sentenced this week to 30 days in jail as part of a plea deal to a lesser charge.

Kimberly Hignite entered guilty pleas Monday to 14 individual counts of misdemeanor child endangerment, according to reports.

More than a year ago, Hignite was indicted on five counts of gross sexual imposition and 17 counts of child endangerment for allegedly engaging in sexual misconduct with children in her care between February 2011 and May 2018.

Three of the gross sexual imposition charges and five of the child endangerment charges were dismissed under the terms of the plea agreement.

Two sexual misconduct charges were also reduced to child endangerment charges, reports WSYX.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that several victims and their parents were in attendance for Monday’s hearing in Franklin County Common Pleas courtroom.

Police searched Hignite’s home in Grove City in May 2018 after receiving complaints from two children enrolled in her unlicensed day care.

During the search, the Dispatch reports 23 children were found, but Hignite was out, having left her 71-year-old mother to watch the children.

The children ranged in age from 7 months to 5 years, according to WBNS.

Some of the children were discovered strapped into car seats and abandoned in various rooms throughout the house.
    This is fucked up.

Edit: https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/daycar...slap-on-wrist/

At least three kids were sexually abused, with prosecutors accusing Hignite of making them play the “silly private game” — which involved forced sexual touching.

“Miss Kim forced them to play using a tan and blue game board with pictures of private parts and a red spinner,” recalled another mother. “Your Honor, the sound of my autistic son and little girl being able to describe what that grown woman’s vagina looks like and feels like, is something we regrettably will never be able to forget, and honestly something that I can never forgive.”
    Edit 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Stick to the case and drop gender discussion (which includes speculation about gender-based sentencing).
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2019-07-18 at 04:39 AM.

It's very well documented that females get significantly smaller sentences than males. #patriarchy

It seems they couldn't prove the sexual part of the charges but had proof to corroborate the child endangerment part, that being leaving kids strapped in car seats. I do think 30 days seems light but plea deal sooo I'm not leaning toward the less charges for female here.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

30 days? and women say LOL men you have life easy.

Women LOL you have life easy, want to commit crimes? go ahead jail is basically non fucking existent for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    sooo I'm not leaning toward the less charges for female here.
    You don't need to, it's common knowledge and a proven fact.

I don't see feminists campaigning for equal jail time though O.o

i don't care what gender you are, 30 days for treating multiple children like this is an insult.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    She was accused of sexually abusing them. Not convicted of it. But 30 days in the jail seems to be too lenient.

Kimberly Hignite entered guilty pleas Monday to 14 individual counts of misdemeanor child endangerment which appears what she was convicted of.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Well, this thread is going to get incredibly neckbeardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    Well, this thread is going to get incredibly neckbeardy.
    Yea those damn neckbeards being all anti pedophilia, how unprogressive of them

10+ Year Old Account
    @Deus Mortis Alright, this is definitely fucked up:

At least three kids were sexually abused, with prosecutors accusing Hignite of making them play the “silly private game” — which involved forced sexual touching.

“Miss Kim forced them to play using a tan and blue game board with pictures of private parts and a red spinner,” recalled another mother. “Your Honor, the sound of my autistic son and little girl being able to describe what that grown woman’s vagina looks like and feels like, is something we regrettably will never be able to forget, and honestly something that I can never forgive.”
    Despite the allegations, prosecutors allowed Hignite to skate on the plea deal — which also requires her to pay for her incarceration, along with a $4,200 fine. They told WBNS that one reason they agreed to dismiss most of the charges was because some of the alleged victims’ families weren’t cooperating with the district attorney’s office.
    Source: https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/daycar...slap-on-wrist/

A bad case of TMI in that article, but it is interesting to see the prosecution's reason for a deal that they have to have known was going to light up the news.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Deus Mortis Alright, this is definitely fucked up:

Source: https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/daycar...slap-on-wrist/

A bad case of TMI in that article, but it is interesting to see the prosecution's reason for a deal that they have to have known was going to light up the news.
    Thanks for the information I will add it to the op.

Stick to the case and drop gender discussion (which includes speculation about gender-based sentencing).

Was the Prosecutor Alex Acosta?

edit: I retract that...apparently one of the reasons they made the plea deal was because some of the victims families were not cooperating with the DA.

From the NY post article:

Despite the allegations, prosecutors allowed Hignite to skate on the plea deal — which also requires her to pay for her incarceration, along with a $4,200 fine. They told WBNS that one reason they agreed to dismiss most of the charges was because some of the alleged victims’ families weren’t cooperating with the district attorney’s office.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It's very well documented that females get significantly smaller sentences than males. #patriarchy
    Tell that to Jeffrey Epstein.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-07-18 at 04:50 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9004486.html

This 28 year old teacher got 20 years for having consentual sex with a 13 year old boy. That’s even more ridiculous.

I didn't realize this before starting work with children but abuse is more common than I previously realized, people are pretty open about it (I have had two moms tell me that they committed acts that were legally considered physical assault like it was no big deal) but getting DCFS + legal action is very, very difficult. It's practically a miracle to get DCFS to act and for sentencing to happen. The cases where child protective agencies get involved and people go to prison are basically the worst offenders by the people stupid/blatant enough to get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Deus Mortis De nada. Thanks for updating the OP so there is more information.
    @Celista It has never ceased to amaze me the degree to which some parents think the tough love shtick, and similar excuses, create a parental exception to abuse. In this case, however, I don't see any way to view using spin the bottle style "games" to get kids to touch her genitals as anything that can be claimed to be other than outright pedophilia. This is one where (it won't happen, the mental health system is too underfunded) the danger she poses to kids in the future should get her mandatory and ongoing treatment for her disorder -- regardless of what the legal system does.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem here is that she can only be sentenced for what she's convicted of. She wasn't convicted of sexually abusing children, ergo she can't be given a sentence that reflects the severity of such abuse.

The important question is not 'why is the sentence so low', but 'why did they drop the more serious charges'? And it sounds like that reason is that the families of the victims weren't cooperating with the DA. The story is vague on what is meant by 'not cooperating', but at a basic level if people aren't willing to get on the stand and testify to the court about what happened, then the jury isn't going to find someone guilty of something. Media stories about the events aren't exactly court-admissible evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Tell that to Jeffrey Epstein.
    Oh my mistake, I missed the part in the article that stated she was a billionaire running a day care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9004486.html

This 28 year old teacher got 20 years for having consentual sex with a 13 year old boy. That’s even more ridiculous.
    Sex laws are so fucked up in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Can I get a clarification just to avoid surprise infractions? I assumed gender discussion was talking about the difference between females and males as in why some traits are different than others, not the difference between the way they are treated by society. This is why we are allowed to discuss social issues such as pay gaps.

Race discussion is forbidden but yet we are allowed to talk about why some races have a difference in prison sentences.

So I beg clarification, either both should be forbidden or both be be allowed in this context.

Not trying to start shit or be an ass I am genuinely confused a the difference.

Thanks

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Can I get a clarification just to avoid surprise infractions? I assumed gender discussion was talking about the difference between females and males as in why some traits are different than others, not the difference between the way they are treated by society. This is why we are allowed to discuss social issues such as pay gaps.

Race discussion is forbidden but yet we are allowed to talk about why some races have a difference in prison sentences.

So I beg clarification, either both should be forbidden or both be be allowed in this context.

Not trying to start shit or be an ass I am genuinely confused a the difference.

Thanks
    And those are really good questions. It seems to vary.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    She should be put away for much longer than 30 days. Not sure if this is already in place, but she should also be barred from working with children ever again, and be required to be a registered sex offender.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Take THAT patriar- wait what?