Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Can I get a clarification just to avoid surprise infractions? I assumed gender discussion was talking about the difference between females and males as in why some traits are different than others, not the difference between the way they are treated by society. This is why we are allowed to discuss social issues such as pay gaps.

Race discussion is forbidden but yet we are allowed to talk about why some races have a difference in prison sentences.

So I beg clarification, either both should be forbidden or both be be allowed in this context.

Not trying to start shit or be an ass I am genuinely confused a the difference.

Thanks
    You know there is a zero chance of this happening right? And even a less chance for it to be used consistently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Race discussion is forbidden but yet we are allowed to talk about why some races have a difference in prison sentences.

So I beg clarification, either both should be forbidden or both be be allowed in this context.

Not trying to start shit or be an ass I am genuinely confused a the difference.

Thanks
    1) Next time take this up with a moderator in private, this is moderation discussion

2) Discussion that is only about different races having different prison sentences is race discussion just as this is gender discussion, and against the rules of the forum.

Now please drop the subject and turn any further questions to a moderator.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    She should be put away for much longer than 30 days. Not sure if this is already in place, but she should also be barred from working with children ever again, and be required to be a registered sex offender.
    I certainly agree with this.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

5+ Year Old Account
    If she were a man she'd be locked away for life. (As it should be.)

10+ Year Old Account
    @enigma77 Congratulations. You successfully ignored the moderators requests on not just tossing out a purely gender based comment. Was the bright green text too subtle?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine
    Stick to the case and drop gender discussion (which includes speculation about gender-based sentencing).
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @enigma77 Congratulations. You successfully ignored the moderators requests on not just tossing out a purely gender based comment. Was the bright green text too subtle?
    Man that green text is eye numbing! lol!
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther Ain't it though? The darker green didn't stand out as well against the darker quote background, so I'm doing my part. I figure that if it registers on me while I'm low on coffee, it has a chance of getting noticed.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther Ain't it though? The darker green didn't stand out as well against the darker quote background, so I'm doing my part. I figure that if it registers on me while I'm low on coffee, it has a chance of getting noticed.
    ROFL. You just gave me the best laugh of the day. Thanks.

Need to swap the green text to the large font.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Stick to the case and drop gender discussion (which includes speculation about gender-based sentencing).

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther Cheers!
    @Celista You realize, of course, how hard I am trying not to reply with both combined. Flashing text would be a danger, but I wonder if we could get the colors to slowly cycle through some of the more jarring colors. Left to right? Right to left for effect? Or could it be done in sort of a barbershop spiral? Somebody out there has to know how to make this happen!

Oh, and erm, on topic ... I'd still like to see this kind of case something that could be processed through mental health channels. Whether convicted of sex crimes or not, her game with the spinner ought to trigger a mental health check and subsequent responses should depend on whether she is diagnosed as a pedophile and a future danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Oh my mistake, I missed the part in the article that stated she was a billionaire running a day care.
    You also missed the part where some of the charges were dropped because the parents would not cooperate.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You also missed the part where some of the charges were dropped because the parents would not cooperate.
    While I do not know the details, that might actually be understandable. They are probably trying to bury the whole thing from the kids' point of view.

I've often noticed that when something bad happens to kids - like falling and scraping a knee - they don't always freak out instantly unless there's an adult around to start freaking out. Similarly, the wrongness of the situations that this woman created may not have really registered in the children, but taking part in repeated questioning might drive home the point that something grave happened, which in turn may send them to therapy later in life. Protecting them is more important than making an example of the woman, although as others have pointed out, she should be evaluated by experts and possibly banned from working with children.

@Ghostpanther Cheers!
    @Celista You realize, of course, how hard I am trying not to reply with both combined. Flashing text would be a danger, but I wonder if we could get the colors to slowly cycle through some of the more jarring colors. Left to right? Right to left for effect? Or could it be done in sort of a barbershop spiral? Somebody out there has to know how to make this happen!

Oh, and erm, on topic ... I'd still like to see this kind of case something that could be processed through mental health channels. Whether convicted of sex crimes or not, her game with the spinner ought to trigger a mental health check and subsequent responses should depend on whether she is diagnosed as a pedophile and a future danger.
    While I do not know the details, that might actually be understandable. They are probably trying to bury the whole thing from the kids' point of view.

I've often noticed that when something bad happens to kids - like falling and scraping a knee - they don't always freak out instantly unless there's an adult around to start freaking out. Similarly, the wrongness of the situations that this woman created may not have really registered in the children, but taking part in repeated questioning might drive home the point that something grave happened, which in turn may send them to therapy later in life. Protecting them is more important than making an example of the woman, although as others have pointed out, she should be evaluated by experts and possibly banned from working with children.

The problem being I don't know if they can legally compel her to get that mental health check without a conviction. All the sex-related charges have been dropped. Legally speaking...she didn't sexually abuse those children.

Before I catch a ton of shit over this...let me be perfectly clear... I'm talking about legal status only.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Evil Midnight Bomber

As I observed earlier:
    This is one where (it won't happen, the mental health system is too underfunded) the danger she poses to kids in the future should get her mandatory and ongoing treatment for her disorder -- regardless of what the legal system does.
    Should it? I would say yes.

Will it? I strongly doubt so, even if a path exists the system simply doesn't have resources.

What would the legal mechanism be? Unclear, I don't really have the resources to start checking what laws might apply, but if I had to guess there might be provisions somewhere relating to general public well being (I'd find it odd if there weren't) or perhaps something could come from her having collected money to care for children (however improper her actual conduct was she still did it).

For me, this case highlights gaps in our system. Crimes against children are just that, crimes. Unfortunately, as crimes they are subject to things like plea deals. Where there is evidence of mental condition, however, a case could be made for involuntary commitment if she meets the applicable criteria.

At least, this is the kind of thing the voices in my head keep whispering!

@Evil Midnight Bomber

As I observed earlier:

Will it? I strongly doubt so, even if a path exists the system simply doesn't have resources.

What would the legal mechanism be? Unclear, I don't really have the resources to start checking what laws might apply, but if I had to guess there might be provisions somewhere relating to general public well being (I'd find it odd if there weren't) or perhaps something could come from her having collected money to care for children (however improper her actual conduct was she still did it).

For me, this case highlights gaps in our system. Crimes against children are just that, crimes. Unfortunately, as crimes they are subject to things like plea deals. Where there is evidence of mental condition, however, a case could be made for involuntary commitment if she meets the applicable criteria.

At least, this is the kind of thing the voices in my head keep whispering!
    Yeah, I get what you're saying...and I agree there should be better checks and balances.

But my point is, without the testimony of the children she abused, there is no evidence of a mental condition.

Also, the daycare she was running was unregistered anyway... so even if there was a mandatory mental health check before opening a daycare (i don't know if there is or isn't...but i think there probably should be)...she gets around it because she's not registering as a daycare. I don't know if there's really anything to stop her from just moving into the next state over and doing the same thing again.

This is why it kinda sucks that the parents don't want to cooperate. I mean, I totally get their point that their number one priority is to protect their children and they don't want to put them through everything that comes with testifying about their abuse...but the other side of it is...there's not a lot to stop her from doing this again.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-07-19 at 06:42 AM.

God the crazy is getting worse.

@Evil Midnight Bomber

As I observed earlier:

What about giving an option to judges to order mandatory mental evaluation in cases involving children and/or sexual charges? It certainly could assist both judge and jury to see the defendant more clearly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about giving an option to judges to order mandatory mental evaluation in cases involving children and/or sexual charges? It certainly could assist both judge and jury to see the defendant more clearly.
    Except it wouldn't. Statistically, people with mental health issues are less likely to be criminals and more likely to be victims than the general population. So having a mental health issue isn't in any way evidence that she is guilty of the charges, nor is being found mentally sound any evidence that she is innocent. It would be information that prejudices the jury without any actual bearing on what is being tried.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber
    But my point is, without the testimony of the children she abused, there is no evidence of a mental condition.
    It has been publicly reported. From the quote, I'd guess it is part of a court record:
    Miss Kim forced them to play using a tan and blue game board with pictures of private parts and a red spinner,” recalled another mother. “Your Honor, the sound of my autistic son and little girl being able to describe what that grown woman’s vagina looks like and feels like, is something we regrettably will never be able to forget, and honestly something that I can never forgive.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber
    Also, the daycare she was running was unregistered anyway
    I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that, nevertheless administrative laws tend to find a way to go past such things. For example, you can still be busted for speeding even if you don't have a valid driver's license.
    @Flarelaine @Nymrohd Depending on the state there are various solutions to things both of you have raised. We don't know why the parents didn't cooperate so it is hard to do more than guess. Were they concerned for their children? We hope so. It could, however, be that by testifying they would open themselves up to liability on something -- perhaps for having taken the kids to an unregistered daycare, perhaps it would show something that could roll back on them as part of child custody? Who knows.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-07-19 at 08:39 AM. Reason: name

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Except it wouldn't. Statistically, people with mental health issues are less likely to be criminals and more likely to be victims than the general population. So having a mental health issue isn't in any way evidence that she is guilty of the charges, nor is being found mentally sound any evidence that she is innocent. It would be information that prejudices the jury without any actual bearing on what is being tried.
    I certainly had something more professional in mind than "Mentally disturbed Yes/No Check the box".

Also, I meant it more of a tool for actual sentencing than for ascertaining guilt. Your worries about prejudice are valid, though.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't know why the parents didn't cooperate so it is hard to do more than guess. Were they concerned for their children? We hope so. It could, however, be that by testifying they would open themselves up to liability on something -- perhaps for having taken the kids to an unregistered daycare, perhaps it would show something that could roll back on them as part of child custody?
    Perhaps some of the parents were themselves unregistered. Plenty of possible explanations.