Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Americans say debate has grown more toxic an ‘heated’ rhetoric could lead to violence

Large majorities of Americans say the tone and nature of political debate in the United States has become more negative in recent years.

Majorities of Americans have strong feelings about what is acceptable for elected officials to say in political debate.

Americans broadly agree that elected officials should avoid using heated language because it could encourage violence.

Republicans believe that the national climate for political discourse is more hospitable to Democrats than for the GOP.

Most Americans say there is not consensus in the public on what constitutes racist or sexist language.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-to-violence/

Do you believe that the national climate for political discourse is more hospitable to Democrats than for the GOP?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It impacts them both. But at the moment, the hatred, anti- patriotic rhetoric of some of the Democrats, is hurting them more in my opinion. Mainly them attacking the US's fundamental reputation, which some hold to be a good thing for them overall and worthy of support. Not that we have not did some injustices in the past of course. But time will prove if this is true.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It impacts them both. But at the moment, the hatred, anti- patriotic rhetoric of some of the Democrats, is hurting them more in my opinion. Mainly them attacking the US's fundamental reputation, which some hold to be a good thing for them overall and worthy of support. Not that we have not did some injustices in the past of course. But time will prove if this is true.
    Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

Because being run by the Russians and obstructing justice is patriotic. /s

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only anti-patriotic rhetoric in the American discours I see comes from your president.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Because being run by the Russians and obstructing justice is patriotic. /s
    Not every American buys into that conspiracy theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The only anti-patriotic rhetoric in the American discours I see comes from your president.
    You need to watch more than just the news networks which hate Trump. If you do not like Fox, watch BBC. Or even CBS.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What a joke.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Not every American buys into that conspiracy theory.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to watch more than just the news networks which hate Trump. If you do not like Fox, watch BBC.
    And yet, you defended racism...

The entire Trumspter agenda has been about pissing people off. This is as disingenuous as you can get. And no, nobody expects any different from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a video I thought was interesting and does show, we can be misled by preconceived assumptions. I know it is from Fox News and some will automatically not even watch it. But for those who might be interested in it, here it is anyway. https://www.foxnews.com/media/colleg...n-racist-trump

Here is a video I thought was interesting and does show, we can be misled by preconceived assumptions. I know it is from Fox News and some will automatically not even watch it. But for those who might be interested in it, here it is anyway. https://www.foxnews.com/media/colleg...n-racist-trump

That is eye opening.

I hope I wasn't that air headed when I was a college student.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need to watch more than just the news networks which hate Trump. If you do not like Fox, watch BBC. Or even CBS.
    I get most of my news from non american sources. My judgement about the POTUS comes from direct video feeds of the man talking. Who he choses to defend, who he choses to attack, and what his actions tell.
    - Lars

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As some one who doesn’t follow any real politics or debates is this a side effect of trump? From watching the 2016 stuff he seems s to be the only real toxic one so did he kick this off of we’re there others before him?

10+ Year Old Account
    It impacts them both. But at the moment, the hatred, anti- patriotic rhetoric of some of the Democrats
    Is a fiction you've invented.

This is entirely imaginary horseshit. It isn't real. Comments like yours are why discourse is dying, in the USA; you make up slanderous bullshit without any basis in fact or reality, and expect it to be given equal credence with the truth. And then whine that it's "unfair" when other people won't put up with your bad faith.

And before you come back, complaining that I'm being mean, let's at least have the decency to recognize that I'm confronting malice and disinformation. That deserves contempt and harsh words. Your malicious attack, however, was based on nothing but your own partisan demagoguery.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-07-19 at 03:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As some one who doesn’t follow any real politics or debates is this a side effect of trump? From watching the 2016 stuff he seems s to be the only real toxic one so did he kick this off of we’re there others before him?
    Started with Newt Gingrich.

Funny thing that one. Democrats don't really talk much about it, while to Republicans, even the President himself, it has become Schrödinger's immigration policy. Somehow, Obama is both used as a gotcha (he deported so many! He built the camps!), while also being famously "weak" on immigration. That's what gets me, as an outsider to the system - I just want politicians to be at least internally consistent in their views, if they can't be bothered to be truthful.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    We could go further back if we want. Trump doesn't just share similarities with Nixon, but he arguably shares more with Nixon's once-VP - Spiro Agnew. The heated rhetoric and slanderous, sensationalist attacks against Democrats playing to a cult of personality? That's Agnew to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Funny thing that one. Democrats don't really talk much about it, while to Republicans, even the President himself, it has become Schrödinger's immigration policy. Somehow, Obama is both used as a gotcha (he deported so many! He built the camps!), while also being famously "weak" on immigration. That's what gets me, as an outsider to the system - I just want politicians to be at least internally consistent in their views, if they can't be bothered to be truthful.

That's politics.

Trump isn't very good at politics. A good politician would've said the same things only not be so obvious.

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    You'll also generally find that the "gotcha" is that some random Democratic voters are poorly-informed on the issues. What a shock; that's true of any democratic (small-D) electorate, on all political sides.

Meanwhile, they're trying to shift blame from Republican representatives being two-faced on the issues, or pushing bad policy.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Not gonna lie I have no idea who that is.

Yep it has. It will get worse becuase those who push the divide don't want it fixed. They like the divide. Justice for their side, pain and humiliation for the other side. Something is bound to break civility and the LA riots will look like a celabration.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."