Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    ???

Is this one of those weird things where people don't understand how the economy works?
    Common hubcap tactic. When caught being stupid, double down on stupid.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Why doesn't Bernie pay them $25 an hour?
    Ah yes, when you're caught in your dishonesty you inevitably move the goalposts. I expect reducto ad absurdum to be your next tactic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Why doesn't Trump pay his illegals $50 an hour! See, I can post stupid bullshit too!

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Why doesn't Trump pay his illegals $50 an hour! See, I can post stupid bullshit too!
    Because Trump doesn't pay his debts, ever. You know that silly. It's been his entire schtick. How to save money and become a billionaire: Have people work for you, never pay them, take out loans, never pay them back.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post

It's a good thing that this article was updated and adds some context.

Bernie's campaign was paying people $36,000/year instead of by the hour. But people were working 60 hours a week bringing their pay down to $13/hour -- so a salary.

The union representing those people and the campaign later came to an agreement to change the hours so that people don't have to work 60 hours a week to make that $36,000.

"We look forward to continuing those discussions and obviously are disappointed that some individuals decided to damage the integrity of these efforts before they were concluded," Shakir said. "As these discussions continue, we are limiting hours so no employee is receiving less than $15 for any hours worked."

Sounds like they got their stuff figured out.

Short version, they are paid a salary, not a wage. They were working hours that basically made their salary less than $15/hr comparatively, they've negotiated with the union and are having their hours brought back down. So yeah, the Bernie campaign is paying them fairly.
    According to me, it was always fair since even before the negotiation it was above that area's minimum wage.

Before he was giving them $36000 per year, for working 60hours /week. Which was not fair according to himself.
    He is paying them fairly now, for his own standards, after the negotiations.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wait . . . salaried positions there do not get paid overtime???
    Welcome to America (and several other countries). Where if you have a "salary" you can't get any a higher amount a month no matter what. Meanwhile in Sweden, any pay you get is a "baseline" payment. And if you then work nights you get an additional amount of money per hour worked depending on some things (like, night before a big holiday is higher than a regular night). Etc
    Meanwhile in lots of places, a Salary is a set payment no matter what. Which is... dumb.
    - Lars

Why doesn't he pay them 1 billion dollars per hour? that Bernie is such a hypocrite /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Hmmm, negotiating with workers to pay them fairly for their time. MADNESS!!!!
    That monster!

Oh silly me I went off script! Whoops!
    Whoopsie!
    Last edited by Santti; 2019-07-20 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    US minimum wage is $7.25
    Vermont minimum wage is $10.78

Salaried positions don't have hourly rates, and as mentioned, were just being given far too many hours.
    Spiking minimum wage that much would actually have major negative short term repercussions. The minimum wage went from like $11.50 to $15 here in Ontario and all of a sudden a whole slew of people were losing their jobs and being replaced with basic automation. The people who still had jobs were being expected to do more work as well. So it's not really all that simple. They should be aiming to have a higher federal minimum wage of like $10 and grow it to $15 in 5 years.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It's a good thing that this article was updated and adds some context.

Bernie's campaign was paying people $36,000/year instead of by the hour. But people were working 60 hours a week bringing their pay down to $13/hour -- so a salary.

The union representing those people and the campaign later came to an agreement to change the hours so that people don't have to work 60 hours a week to make that $36,000.

"We look forward to continuing those discussions and obviously are disappointed that some individuals decided to damage the integrity of these efforts before they were concluded," Shakir said. "As these discussions continue, we are limiting hours so no employee is receiving less than $15 for any hours worked."

Sounds like they got their stuff figured out.

Short version, they are paid a salary, not a wage. They were working hours that basically made their salary less than $15/hr comparatively, they've negotiated with the union and are having their hours brought back down. So yeah, the Bernie campaign is paying them fairly.
    Thanks for the reply. So they where getting less than $15 per hour and now are getting more. So for a while he was not practicing what he preached. I would think the Union would want them to get back pay and he shouldn't have objected, since they where getting less than he thinks workers should get.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So they where getting less than $15 per hour and now are getting more. So for a while he was not practicing what he preached. I would think the Union would want them to get back pay and he shouldn't have objected, since they where getting less than he thinks workers should get.
    *Shrugs* The thread has a clickbait title to it, and I'm not sure how hands-on Bernie is about his campaign, his campaign manager could have been making them do all that overtime without pay and it was later brought to his attention. Either way, it seems the Union is negotiating for even more pay in the future, since they probably will have to work even more overtime in the future as the campaign season gets more rigorous and overtime likely inevitable. Seeing that there's a problem, and fixing it, is practicing what he preaches. The issue was quickly resolved. The most I see from conservatives is stall any action by blaming other people, blaming the union, getting stuck in negotiations, etc. as long as possible.

The Trump campaign still has yet to pay back any of the debt it owes. Remember when Trump said he funded his own campaign? It was mostly from loans that he has yet to return a penny of. I have to wonder how many of his workers aren't paid, and run off pure zeal for the lord Trump.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    *Shrugs* The thread has a clickbait title to it, and I'm not sure how hands-on Bernie is about his campaign, his campaign manager could have been making them do all that overtime without pay and it was later brought to his attention. Either way, it seems the Union is negotiating for even more pay in the future, since they probably will have to work even more overtime in the future as the campaign season gets more rigorous and overtime likely inevitable. Seeing that there's a problem, and fixing it, is practicing what he preaches. The issue was quickly resolved. The most I see from conservatives is stall any action by blaming other people, blaming the union, getting stuck in negotiations, etc. as long as possible.

The Trump campaign still has yet to pay back any of the debt it owes. Remember when Trump said he funded his own campaign? It was mostly from loans that he has yet to return a penny of. I have to wonder how many of his workers aren't paid, and run off pure zeal for the lord Trump.
    I don't have any issues with the title of the thread, as it was true. While your additional comments does explain they are trying to make things better. Which is good.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean here a salary is for 40 hours of work. There are two tiers of overtime; 45 or 48 hours (for 5 and 6 day workers respectively) were the extra hours are paid at a +25% rate and for work past that the rate is +75%. There is additional charge for work past 23:00 as well.
    I worked salary and was not paid any extra for any hours below 48 a week. Only when it hit 48+, did I get overtime pay. Even then, I had a choice of ether OT or comp time. Then again, I had no sick leave, but could take off however much time I needed for medical reasons if documented by a doctor ( if it was for a extended amount of time ) and not lose any pay. If I needed to leave early one day, I also was not charged any leave and lost no pay.

So I think it depends on what other benefits one gets before it is a issue anyway. Not sure why they are paying part time workers a salary however. Normally, part time workers are paid by the hour here.

Wait . . . salaried positions there do not get paid overtime???
    Workers salaried under $23,660 year are considered non-exempt employees and overtime is required for them.

There is no requirement that workers earning more than that be paid overtime. See here for a quick summary of recent regulatory changes.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2019-07-20 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    And as turns out in the article, he did. Just shows how great and down to earth of a person he really is.
    And it shows how much of a waste of time this thread's creation was.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a lot of people responded, but ‘why isn’t it XX’ isn’t actually a counter to the 15$ that passed the house. That’s an exaggeration and isn’t representative of the opposing argument.

The actual counter argument is; why isn’t it 0? If the increase is arbitrary, why isn’t the current number arbitrary and why can’t it be lower? After all, every argument against the minimum wage increase, works in reverse. If increasing minimum wage will decrease employment and increase prices... why aren’t you arguing for lowering the minimum wage, to increase employment and lower prices?

It kinda feels like a scam, if you don’t argue to lower the minimum wage, to improve everything a higher minimum wage hurts.

Edit: If a higher minimum wage hurts America, wouldn’t MAGA mean taking US to a time before the minimum wage? Why don’t opponents of minimum wage increase, argue for lowering it, instead of exaggeration it to be higher?
    Last edited by Felya; 2019-07-20 at 03:11 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Why not $50?

Your move.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Why not $50?

Your move.

Shilling for Bernie for $15/hour is a pretty sad existence. I wonder if that's what they were dreaming of doing with their poli sci degrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Why not $50?

Your move.
    Wrong direction... why not 0?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi