Question Question about emails providers

Does anyone know of a email service that better then the free emails account , due to the fact its all ads or they sell are data . I saw 2 different one but it hard to know who to go to . I saw one for proton mail but it has a free spot but its base in Switzerland so it hard to trust and know. I also heard of fast mail which is couple dollars a month or a year plan . i"d like to move away from google mail .

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk really I've been using a hotmail address for about 20 years lol. It's been fine. I have a gmail for my paypal but I don't really use it for actual email. I don't have any ads but who knows what is being harvested really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosensation View Post
    i"d like to move away from google mail .
    First question is: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    I don't have any ads but who knows what is being harvested really.
    Everything. Most things. Not an exaggeration.

I'm not trying to necessarily dissuade you from taking a course of action, I'm just posing the idea that.. Is it worth the work/research/etc to do something, so you can 'feel' happy, even though the actual result is the same?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Cause google tracks everything and i want my privacy
    https://medium.com/s/story/the-compl...u-3c3abc10781d

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point if you've used any google services for more than a few weeks, they already know everything they'll find out. Why worry?

Also, why not just set up your own email server? There's a bunch of tutorials online, and if you're going to be spending money, why not at least personalize it properly?

Even if i use google for little i rather get away from them and not have always track my stuff. I just would like to find a nice site to go to , i don't know much of hosting my own or have the time to do it i work a lot and rather find a good company to use. If anyone is okay with google then all good but if anyone know of a good site please feel free to let me know .

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I really only use my email to talk to my grandma so they can harvest those messages every few months all they want.

What about all those e-mails you get when you order or book something? Or when you register to a website? They are a big help to profile someone, especially for google.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if i use google for little i rather get away from them and not have always track my stuff. I just would like to find a nice site to go to , i don't know much of hosting my own or have the time to do it i work a lot and rather find a good company to use. If anyone is okay with google then all good but if anyone know of a good site please feel free to let me know .
    That's pretty much why I asked.

Do you want peace of mind, or actual security and privacy?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Google reads your emails that's a fact, stop using it. I use hotmail for general spam and proton mail for everything else. Work is work so doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you really want privacy with your email, then you have to pay. No way around that. Either you pay a reputable, privacy focused service, or you setup your own email server.

"If you are not paying for a service, you are the product."
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone know of a email service that better then the free emails account , due to the fact its all ads or they sell are data . I saw 2 different one but it hard to know who to go to . I saw one for proton mail but it has a free spot but its base in Switzerland so it hard to trust and know. I also heard of fast mail which is couple dollars a month or a year plan . i"d like to move away from google mail .
    Proton is good a lot of security recommends them + US gov cannot get your emails if they asked for as they are based outside the 14-eyes jurisdiction.

Their email plans are pretty cheap too like 5/mo which isnt bad tbh. A company i work for sells for 10.00 that is bit too high IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    At this point if you've used any google services for more than a few weeks, they already know everything they'll find out. Why worry?

Also, why not just set up your own email server? There's a bunch of tutorials online, and if you're going to be spending money, why not at least personalize it properly?
    Most ISP's block email traffic so setting up a private server even if you are saavy enough to build one requires you to probably get a business ISP plan which cost wise wouldn't be worth it.

I don't mind paying just in between fast mail base in Austria and proton mail . Fast mail is like 30 a year

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind paying just in between fast mail base in Austria and proton mail . Fast mail is like 30 a year
    I still wouldn't bother paying for it either way.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    IDK much bout fastmail, probably be fine with either.. Proton is 48 it looks like for a year but you also get 5 addreses as well. Storage is 5GB combined for all i believe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Most ISP's block email traffic so setting up a private server even if you are saavy enough to build one requires you to probably get a business ISP plan which cost wise wouldn't be worth it.
    Could host it on a platform that isn't under your personal IP like AWS.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Could host it on a platform that isn't under your personal IP like AWS.
    Yeah, i would say Digital Ocean over amazon, going with AWS might as well almost stick with google if your paranoid about your data and who controls it and trust with the company holding the data. Aka Amazon for AWS. Google for Gsuite. or in the OP Proton for Protonmail.

Still a small cost involved(time not included for building and maintaining your own) too so if that isn't an issue its definitely an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Yeah, i would say Digital Ocean over amazon, going with AWS might as well almost stick with google if your paranoid about your data and who controls it and trust with the company holding the data. Aka Amazon for AWS. Google for Gsuite. or in the OP Proton for Protonmail.

Still a small cost involved(time not included for building and maintaining your own) too so if that isn't an issue its definitely an option.
    Oh yeah, wasn't really making a "safe" suggestion, just one that everyone would know about

Who cares if an algorithm knows you've gone to some greek island for holidays? The value Gmail offers so it can show you a greek island restaurant ad is well worth it (the ad maybe be useful even). Also, I think you can delete all the info google has on you whenever you want. Think twice before compromising your safety to some shady email provider.