Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    How did the conservative party win the majority there if they represent the smaller part of the nation? Are they elected based on popular vote?
    We have a FPTP system similar to an electoral college where you vote for the MP you want and the party that gets the most MPs wins. So you can have a party with more votes but spread across the wrong areas. Its a sham of democracy that sees the majority of votes wasted.

It basically creates a system where its better to hit lots of little places than go for a large district, very similar to the US EC. In fairness, this did benefit Labour at one point, but recent changes have really made it easier for the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Wow! It is a lot different than what the US has. Thanks again!.
    It's not massively, its just we have a multi party system, if we had a Duopoly it would work very similarly, it's still not based on popularity but number of MPs.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2019-07-23 at 03:25 PM.

After Trump not alot of things should surprise me.. but, wow. I mean it was obvious it would happen, but if someone would have told me that 10 years ago I would have laughed at him until I passed out. These days all I wonder about is if I'm stuck in the wrong timeline.

Well, Boris, I expect you to deliver those weekly 350 millions!
    /s
    P.S.
    Britain, you are fucked. Truly.

What's his appeal to Conservative MP's and Conservative voters, anyways? I just don't get it, he's always seemed like a right idiot and an asshole.

Is he just a convenient foil for when Brexit blows up in the Prime Minister's face?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What's his appeal to Conservative MP's and Conservative voters, anyways? I just don't get it, he's always seemed like a right idiot and an asshole.

Is he just a convenient foil for when Brexit blows up in the Prime Minister's face?
    Pretty much the same thing that makes Trump loved by them. He is racist as fuck.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Because saying "I can give everyone good job and a secure future" is always going to be more exciting than "Well, the realities of our current situation is...."

Imagine people who applaud and laugh at this:
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

They need a fall guy is my opinion, Brexit is going to be a shit show and whoever is at the helm will get a face full of it who better than the moron who championed it to take the fall.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    They need a fall guy is my opinion, Brexit is going to be a shit show and whoever is at the helm will get a face full of it who better than the moron who championed it to take the fall.
    Honestly, I'm not sure that this is the case. Brexit may be a shit show for the general population, but there are going to be a group of people who profit wildly off of the chaos. Primarily the people who started it and have been planning for it from the beginning. Who better than Boris to try to make sure that things pan out in the way that they need?

Ending someone's political career isn't a huge threat if they're set up to make millions off of picking the winners and losers in a chaotic situation.

None They can't stand really stand him, but as an Eton/Oxbridge Bullingdon Club upper class bellend, he was the "best" of the bunch. Alas, we still live in a completely classist society with the same "elite" families ruling the people and keeping control of the wealth for the last hundreds of years.

He's NOT Trump. Sure he's a bit of a populist with daft hair and no filter, but he's 100% Torie through and through. Just another self-serving posh twat. Nobody's ever even taken his Brexit views seriously before as it was always just a pretty transparent leadership bid. He's just Literally from the same class as David Cameron -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Pretty much the same thing that makes Trump loved by them. He is racist as fuck.
    Yeah he's racist, but it's more in a Duke of Edinburgh "Completely ignorant, arrogant, outdated, unpolitically correct" way. It's not just other cultures - even in the last TV debate he was referring to MPs as the peoples "Political Masters". He just genuinely believes his class makes him better than everyone.

It's interesting already reading hilariously dumb articles comparing him to Hitler and his "un-democratic" win to the rise of the third reich. It's genuinely embarassing. There's even a "not my Prime Minister" protest march, for people who don't understand how our PMs are chosen. IT's funny to think how the media + propaganda has turned on him so quickly as he used to be the politican a lot of younger people loved (maybe because the didn't need to take him seriously) - He was even voted Mayor by Londoners, who tend to be far more liberal.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure that this is the case. Brexit may be a shit show for the general population, but there are going to be a group of people who profit wildly off of the chaos. Primarily the people who started it and have been planning for it from the beginning. Who better than Boris to try to make sure that things pan out in the way that they need?

Ending someone's political career isn't a huge threat if they're set up to make millions off of picking the winners and losers in a chaotic situation.
    True the currency play alone will make a fortune, a hard Brexit like that will destroy the pound sterling which will be catastrophic for the regular Brit but great for anyone playing the market right.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The Empire hasn't really been around for a couple of decades by this point.

What we're dealing with isn't the last remnants of it, so much as British nostalgia for a time that is simply gone and not coming back.
    Which is why I wrote ‘stood’, this might well be the end of the UK, which is by all means the last shadow of once World power.

Also Bojo’s speed... geesh stop doing coke before having a speech
    Last edited by Crispin; 2019-07-23 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, he is their fall guy. It all goes wrong 'well we've always thought of him as a bit of a buffoon! vote for us this time and it will be different than the last 3 disasters!' And as long as Corbyn is Labour leader, people will still vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yes, he is their fall guy. It all goes wrong 'well we've always thought of him as a bit of a buffoon! vote for us this time and it will be different than the last 3 disasters!' And as long as Corbyn is Labour leader, people will still vote for them.
    At this point there should be a vote of no confidence on the whole party and Jar Jar Binks handing emergency powers to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashpanda View Post
    I see Trumps long lost twin-brother is doing well too...
    My kid pointed this out too: "Looks just like Trump but with British teeth."
    fucking lmao

Much ink will be spilled, and has already been spilled, over the obvious fact that Boris Johnson is a buffoon. Less will be spilled over the fact that he once engaged in a criminal conspiracy to assault a journalist for investigating one of his buddies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Is this some weird Monthy Python sketch?

The britains elected a prime minister to get out of the EU.
    The PM resigned.
    Then they elected another prime minister to get out of the EU.
    She resigned
    Then they elected a third prime minister to get out of the EU.

?
    Who promptly burnt down, fell over, and sank into the swamp.

But the forth PM stayed up! And that's what you're going to get son! The strongest PM in all of England!
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    I eagerly look forward to the EU spin off of the "The Trump Shitshow Continues" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    I eagerly look forward to the EU spin off of the "The Trump Shitshow Continues" thread.
    Already kind of exists, tbh:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...still/page1050

Technically about Brexit, but since the EU has mostly sorted their stuff out long ago and barely needs to make a lot of moves, it has p much just become about Britain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Oh goody, we have our own Trump now... except with more incompetence, and more stupidity.

I have a rope and a nearest tree calling...
    Don't know much about the guy but didn't he attend both Eton and Oxford and excel? He may just be a smarter version of Trump and a better con man at playing the dotard role to rile up the base.