Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of my favorite quests back in Vanilla were the ones concerning the Stormwind Senate and House of Nobles; the Defias uprising as a result of the Stonemasons being shafted on compensation despite rebuilding the capital to be even more grand- would love to see some more political intrigue within the Alliance.

As far as economics, like others have pointed out there probably exists a sales tax similar to what we see in the auction house, as well as regional tithes: accounting for all the Alliance territories it's not too difficult to put together a sizable treasury. Farms in Elwynn, Westfall, Duskwood, Borean Tundra, Arathi, Lakeside of Stormwind. Mines in Elwynn, Duskwood, Redridge, Westfall, Arathi. Lumber Mills in Elwynn, Red Ridge, Westfall, Grizzly Hills.

That's just the Alliance Humans, not counting the interracial commerce within the faction- Dwarves have farms in Wetlands and Arathi, Kul Tiras is resource rich, we assume Wisps can still sap and dupe wood magically.

Would make for an interesting TV show in the vein of early Game of Thrones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Well, considering that most human lands (everything but Elwynn) are wastelands as far as farming is concerned, I'd say that SW's economic policies are in urgent need of reform.

But who knows, maybe Tauren horns and dairy products sell for a lot of money, so the Boiking gets to show an even budget
    It doesn't help that recently, Westfall was dealing with overpopulation from homeless civilians who lost their jobs and homes due to post-Shattering economic collapse, turned into a new Defias Brotherhood, and set a good chunk of Westfall on fire in the process. Nor that, as of the Battle for Dazar'Alor and after, the Alliance is down to conscripting civilians in vital industries like farming from the utter meat grinder this war's been.

I don't think Stormwind is operating at a budget surplus, regardless of what the economic policies look like, if there's not enough people to fill all the needed uniforms and work at home to keep the military supplied. If anything, I'd wager that (unless these farmers come from the same ass Stormwind keeps pulling its armies from in back-to-back wars) Stormwind is probably getting close to another economic collapse.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    It doesn't help that recently, Westfall was dealing with overpopulation from homeless civilians who lost their jobs and homes due to post-Shattering economic collapse, turned into a new Defias Brotherhood, and set a good chunk of Westfall on fire in the process. Nor that, as of the Battle for Dazar'Alor and after, the Alliance is down to conscripting civilians in vital industries like farming from the utter meat grinder this war's been.

I don't think Stormwind is operating at a budget surplus, regardless of what the economic policies look like, if there's not enough people to fill all the needed uniforms and work at home to keep the military supplied. If anything, I'd wager that (unless these farmers come from the same ass Stormwind keeps pulling its armies from in back-to-back wars) Stormwind is probably getting close to another economic collapse.
    If Stormwind risks another economic collapse, what do the other nations risk? What does the desert wasteland of Durotar risk? Or the half-Scourge infested Quel'thalas? Or the war-torn rump state of Zandalar?

Stormwind is ironically still one of the strongest nations in the game despite its weak state. Because if Stormwind is doing badly, then 90% of the other races must be doing worse. The only one who might be doing better than Stormwind is Ironforge, and that is because Blizzard doesn't give two shits about htem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Well Anduin seems to be pretty left-leaning with his admission of the Void Elves into the Alliance (among other refugees) and his military intervention against the desert-dwelling Horde. So we can assume he taxes everyone pretty severely.
    Is this what the world has come to?

He keeps the Alliance in line as the good faction by simply taxing being evil. The Purge Squad wasn't retconned, they just went bankrupt. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    If Stormwind risks another economic collapse, what do the other nations risk? What does the desert wasteland of Durotar risk? Or the half-Scourge infested Quel'thalas? Or the war-torn rump state of Zandalar?

Stormwind is ironically still one of the strongest nations in the game despite its weak state. Because if Stormwind is doing badly, then 90% of the other races must be doing worse. The only one who might be doing better than Stormwind is Ironforge, and that is because Blizzard doesn't give two shits about htem.
    Ain't that the truth. Logistics in economics in Warcraft make no sense whatsoever. Best not think too hard how races that have been decimated or were on the brink of extinction like the humans, Orcs or Blood Elves can possibly become world powers capable of projecting forces across continents 5 or 10 years afterwards.

7+ Year Old Account
    Socioeconomic concerns in WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    In Vanilla. In Legion you can see that he can form yet another army and people didn't starve at all. Varian has an ability to conjure army out of nothing every time he needs and war taxation isn't visible at all, except for Westfall, of course.
    Varian was not present in his role as King in Vanilla and had no administrative say in anything.

I find it funny how some people bash Varian's ability to pull armies out of nowhere, when the Darkspear Tribe can still pump out huge military forces or the Bilgewater Cartel somehow can swarm over an entire beach like locusts on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Varian was not present in his role as King in Vanilla and had no administrative say in anything.
    But Defias civil war was because of him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    I find it funny how some people bash Varian's ability to pull armies out of nowhere, when the Darkspear Tribe can still pump out huge military forces or the Bilgewater Cartel somehow can swarm over an entire beach like locusts on a tree.
    I haven't seen huge Darkspear forces anywhere.

Bligewater is a cartel. It may recruit any goblin on Azeroth.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Always figured that every major city has a secret "Cash Flow" perk and get's a % of every coin players loot...also wouldn't that be where the AH Cut goes?

But Defias civil war was because of him.
    You can make the argument that this was much more because of Onyxia's meddling then Varian. Onyxia played both sides to the incitement of the riot that killed Varian's wife. It was more Onyxia's manipulations than Varian unilaterally causing the uprising.

Do we really need to speculate or even know about these intricate details? How do we even know they have a tax system

5+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I never thought about this, but if we knew his tax policy, this story would be akchyually better than everything that Tolkien wrote.

5+ Year Old Account
    Did you think the SI:7 were for spying only?
    They also collect “protection” fees.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Did you think the SI:7 were for spying only?
    They also collect “protection” fees.
    Sounds a lot like the intelligence services in my country... Especially when Shaw seems to not give a !@#& about the boiking's instructions, and ignores them as he sees fit. Ad majorem Dei gloriam, of course
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Do we really need to speculate or even know about these intricate details? How do we even know they have a tax system
    Because it is interesting. Also, country without taxes can't form army.

- - - Updated - - -

You can make the argument that this was much more because of Onyxia's meddling then Varian. Onyxia played both sides to the incitement of the riot that killed Varian's wife. It was more Onyxia's manipulations than Varian unilaterally causing the uprising.
    King is the head of government but yes.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Heavy tax on toxic masculinity and non soy products.

King is the head of government but yes.
    I'm just saying that if the King is tricked into taking action by someone with ulterior motives the King is not the sole party responsible. He was also then absent when the Defias proceeded to consolidate their power. He bears some blame but not THE blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus Rex View Post
    Heavy tax on toxic masculinity and non soy products.
    Does Azeroth have soy? Has that been established? I know they have okra.

But no pancakes. Heathens.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2019-07-24 at 08:03 PM.

I'm just saying that if the King is tricked into taking action by someone with ulterior motives the King is not the sole party responsible. He was also then absent when the Defias proceeded to consolidate their power. He bears some blame but not THE blame.

Does Azeroth have soy? Has that been established? I know they have okra.

But no pancakes. Heathens.
    Yes https://www.wowhead.com/item=74853/100-year-soy-sauce special edition for connaisseurs!