View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Because all 3 are linked by the 4 founding pillars you can't have one without the other 2
    Why are you replying to an almost two year post?

I understand there’s been big frustration in the Boris camp at the slow pace of free trade deals. @trussliz will be expected to step up the pace and make them happen quickly
    Exciting times ahead

10+ Year Old Account
    Boris going down the Corbyn road of "I CAN NEGOTIATE A BETTER DEAL" when the EU already has a deal and will not negotiate further.

Ay fucking caramba.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Why are you replying to an almost two year post?
    For some reason my phone made it seem like it was a recent post. Dates and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Boris going down the Corbyn road of "I CAN NEGOTIATE A BETTER DEAL" when the EU already has a deal and will not negotiate further.

Ay fucking caramba.
    It's what was predicted: he (with Cummings) will further attempt to paint the EU as the bogeyman with the help of the right wing media. "It's all their fault".

We'll have a nice hot summer and plenty of anti-European rhetoric. Strawberries & cream, Pimms and a dash of fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post

Ay fucking caramba.
    I'm not so sure this is what he is doing. I think the EU renegotiating would be a bonus but I have a feeling that his end game is to hit a brick wall, in so much as he can't get the WA through Parliament and Parliament will not accept no-deal, then use this to call a GE or another referendum with the Cons campaigning for (a no-deal?) Brexit (hence the appointment of Cummings).

edit... sorry ignore me... long day in the sun, misread - heat stroke
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2019-07-24 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Yes, which is exactly what Northern Goblin wrote.

The EU aren’t going to renegotiate or do you think they’re just bluffing?

There is no brick wall to hit. It’s smoke and mirrors.
    No, it isn't. Northern Goblin wrote that Johnson is going down the road of claiming he can negotiate a better deal (I'm paraphrasing) which I said I am not sure that this is the case.

I'm not sure why you're asking this question as I have not stated that they would.

Well, there is. Parliament will not accept the WA, it will not tolerate no-deal and it will call off Brexit - that's a pretty big brick wall in my mind.

I'm not so sure this is what he is doing. I think the EU renegotiating would be a bonus but I have a feeling that his end game is to hit a brick wall, in so much as he can't get the WA through Parliament and Parliament will not accept no-deal, then use this to call a GE or another referendum with the Cons campaigning for (a no-deal?) Brexit (hence the appointment of Cummings).
    Interesting take away from the Cummings appointment, I like it. What I was driving at a few days ago is that I don't think another deal is on the table, hence my skepticism when BoJo allies were talking about these secret meanings hinting that a deal was going to be struck that hasn't materialised as of yet with, I think what might have been Juncker today saying in his first statement to our PM a thinly veiled "Your full of shit, bring it. See you at the table."

So your sold on the idea that BoJo has slain Farage? If we are going by his promises so far fuck it, I'm voting for BoJo this election. More public spending promised than the next Labour Manifesto, no tax, no NI, economic growth that no doubt will be in the double digits. Who the fuck wouldn't be voting for that?

Only those pesky pessimists, gloomsters and of course those doomsters wouldn't wish to embrace the sheer magic that is coming our way.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2019-07-24 at 09:08 PM.

No, it isn't. Northern Goblin wrote that Johnson is going down the road of claiming he can negotiate a better deal (I'm paraphrasing) which I said I am not sure that this is the case.

I'm not sure why you're asking this question as I have not stated that they would.

Well, there is. Parliament will not accept the WA, it will not tolerate no-deal and it will call off Brexit - that's a pretty big brick wall in my mind.
    Yep - sorry, misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Interesting take away from the Cummings appointment, I like it. What I was driving at a few days ago is that I don't think another deal is on the table, hence my skepticism when BoJo allies were talking about these secret meanings hinting that a deal was going to be struck that hasn't materialised as of yet with, I think what might have been Juncker today saying in his first statement to our PM a thinly veiled "Your full of shit, bring it. See you at the table."

So your sold on the idea that BoJo has slain Farage? If we are going by his promises so far fuck it, I'm voting for BoJo, this election. More public spending promised than the next Labour Manifesto, no tax, no NI, economic growth that no doubt will be in the double digits. Who the fuck wouldn't be voting for that?

Only those pesky pessimists, gloomsters and of course those.doomsters wouldn't wish to embrace the sheer magic that is coming our way.
    I don't think there is any chance of the WA being renegotiated but I think there is a good chance that the political declaration could/will be altered hence the reports of member state officials meeting with Johnson's pals. Whether this will be enough to get the WA through remains to be seen.

I dunno about that but it looks like they are gearing up to take on the Brexit party in either a GE or ref.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Yep - sorry, misread.
    No worries.

Except it is. Johnson needs Parliament to approve the UK leaving the EU either through them signing off the WA (or other agreement) or by the House approving no-deal. He can try to run down the clock and leave without a deal however he has a wafer thin majority and roughly 50 MPs opposed to no-deal within his own party (some of whom say they are prepared to bring their own party down in order to avoid no-deal) and the House will legislate, as they have before, to stop the UK leaving without a deal.
    I was reading this a bit earlier ...
    https://legalresearch.blogs.bris.ac....legal-default/
    I have no legal background, but if the person who wrote this article is right, it looks like the Commons hold all cards.
    If by Halloween Parliament hasn't agreed to anything and there is no extension, the UK's invocation of article 50 would lapse and we're back to square one? Could the Brexit act lapse too or will it just become an added layer of legal nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    I have no legal background, but if the person who wrote this article is right, it looks like the Commons hold all cards.
    If by Halloween Parliament hasn't agreed to anything and there is no extension, the UK's invocation of article 50 would lapse and we're back to square one? Could the Brexit act lapse too or will it just become an added layer of legal nightmare?
    Thanks for that. I honestly don't know how accurate it is but it was an interesting read.

I don't think there is any chance of the WA being renegotiated but I think there is a good chance that the political declaration could/will be altered hence the reports of member state officials meeting with Johnson's pals. Whether this will be enough to get the WA through remains to be seen.
    But hasn't the EU always been up for making amendments to the PD and Parlimamet (BoJo and his cohorts most of all) have said that it isn't good enough and it's the Backstop in the WA that must go?

Now that BoJo is in power I can totally see that this repeated offer by the EU to put stuff in the PD might be redressed as something completely new, totally spiffing and exactly what the country needs...but it isn't and Parliament has ready rejected it, at least twice.

Thanks for that. I honestly don't know how accurate it is but it was an interesting read.
    Thought so too. It only seems to say that no deal is not the default outcome. The comments in the blog clarify some stuff but there are still many questions. If it has any merit I'm surprised this hasn't popped up before.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Reason they're delaying a vote of no confidence seems to be to give Boris Johnson a chance to play his hand on Brexit in front of Conservative MPs that might not be all that enthusiastic about no-deal.

Ï wouldn't count such a vote happening and bringing Boris down out just yet.
    What hand? He has no hand. There is no hand to be had. Take the deal, crash out or revoke A50. There is no nuances between those choices. It's dumbed down to the most simplistic minimum.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What hand? He has no hand. There is no hand to be had. Take the deal, crash out or revoke A50. There is no nuances between those choices. It's dumbed down to the most simplistic minimum.
    The Conservatives TRAITORS! have to wait for BoJo to get in front of Parliament and in no uncertain terms tell it that he will be pursuing No Deal because the EU is made up of meanies who are bullying the poor defenceless super strong and definitely a world super power UK who refuse to renegotiate the thing the UK itself negotiated.

Until it's on record then a No Confidence vote will most likely fail. Lets not forget we have plenty of MPs like Mick Jaggers Illegitimate Rambling Love Child Rory Stewart who are very keen to point out how they don't agree with their party but then vote with the whip anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except it is. Johnson needs Parliament to approve the UK leaving the EU either through them signing off the WA (or other agreement) or by the House approving no-deal. He can try to run down the clock and leave without a deal however he has a wafer thin majority and roughly 50 MPs opposed to no-deal within his own party (some of whom say they are prepared to bring their own party down in order to avoid no-deal) and the House will legislate, as they have before, to stop the UK leaving without a deal.
    What legislation are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    But hasn't the EU always been up for making amendments to the PD and Parlimamet (BoJo and his cohorts most of all) have said that it isn't good enough and it's the Backstop in the WA that must go?

Now that BoJo is in power I can totally see that this repeated offer by the EU to put stuff in the PD might be redressed as something completely new, totally spiffing and exactly what the country needs...but it isn't and Parliament has ready rejected it, at least twice.
    There is a lot of posturing going on and it may well be that altering the PD might be enough to get the WA through.

Without knowing what might be changed in the PD it is impossible to say whether it would get through the House and don't forget there will many MPs who are now extremely worried that Johnson will go all out for no-deal and they might now be willing to back the WA.

What will be interesting over the next few weeks is trying to work out what is a blag and what Johnson is prepared to go through with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Just one question here, would it actually matter if it was unconstitutional? Like, would that stop Brexit from happening or would it happen regardless and deemed unconstitutional by UK courts?

You know, because there are a bunch of other countries involved that don't care too much for British laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.