10+ Year Old Account
    Hasn't healed worth a cast in previous expansions, so I guess they tossed it altogether in ShB.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Question about cross job abilities (didn't feel like making a dedicated thread for this). I remember being about to use a heal ability on my BM way back when I first started playing. But yesterday when trying to get that ability (Physick) from the Arcanist job I wasn't able to use it. Has this changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Yes, they got rid of the cross class system for combat jobs. Its now the role action system. All jobs under each role has a set of skills you have access to, there's some overlap between roles. Like casters and healers all have access to swiftcast, ranged and melee get second wind, etc.
    Also just to add some clarification, they removed the ability to pick and choose which role actions you want to have. Every job in the role gets the same abilities at the same level and you don't "slot" it like you did before, it's a regular part of your class kit. It just happens to be the same as every other job in that role.

The roles are:
    Ranged Physical DPS = Bard, Machinist and Dancer
    Ranged Caster DPS = Black Mage, Summoner, and Red Mage
    Healer = Astrologian, White Mage and Scholar
    Melee DPS = Ninja, Dragoon, Monk, and Samurai
    Tank = Warrior, Paladin, Dark Knight and Gunbreaker

Thanks for the explanations. Probably should do that chocobo companion quest then. At least to mitigate some of the squishiness if I get attacked by more than 2 mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep definitely, though leveling that bugger takes ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Thanks for the explanations. Probably should do that chocobo companion quest then. At least to mitigate some of the squishiness if I get attacked by more than 2 mobs.
    Yes, absolutely, the chocobo companion is very helpful. With the changes to Summoner, I doubt I could survive solo easily at all without him, especially during FATEs. It's obscene how squishy we are vs how effective we are for AoE. Solo out in the world, that AoE effectiveness is useless because using it means you are being murdered by everything it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    With the number of FATEs I've been doing to get the Shadowbringers achievements and level all my classes to at least 71 so I could grind Trusts if I wanted to, I gained almost 2 chocobo levels (from 11.5 or so to 12, and 12 to 13) in ~2 weeks of casual play, with all the xp and the chocobo buddy challenge log xp for two weeks. I mention the Shadowbringers FATEs specifically because the zones are all very active with FATE parties so completing them is always a breeze, unlike in the older, abandoned zones from previous expansions.

So while it does take considerably longer to level than your character, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Just be sure to stock up on Gysahl Greens, the 30 minute timer per use goes by quick when you're out in the world doing your thing.

Note on the Gysahl Greens: You can feed chocobro additional greens up to a total duration of 1 hour I believe, increasing the duration if it is getting low or just have some additional time before you have to worry about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    You crazy kooks and your dps optimization
    Lol, no optimization here. I simply just mash keys with pugs. I was just curious where I was missing damage since he had considerably higher DPS all around.

I actually think that it might be because PLD's damage is 50/50 split which means I never get the same benefit from raid utility that the solo jobs get, especially WAR/GNB where it has 1 damage type. Not only that, he ran it a lot more and with a static which does make a difference, especially if you compare the kill times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    It's a static I run with. We aren't hardcore or anything, and don't really follow meta. I'm just fortunate that I have a monk. Brotherhood's 90 second burst lines up nicely with Inner Release/Delirium. We have a lot more runs recently as we've been trying to get back into the practice of playing together and figuring out exactly what we want our comp to be and how all the new burst windows line up.

That Titan parse on WAR was padded, so I wouldn't take that one too seriously. We were all just fooling around one night trying to see if we could rank on the leaderboards. The highest I have outside that one is 7395. Anything from last night was rough, as I had some serious issues with my ISP and crashed a few times on those fights before I had enough and bowed out.
    Impressive! Gives me something to work towards to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got DC'd and put into a 1500 queue.. that's not suspicious at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    With the number of FATEs I've been doing to get the Shadowbringers achievements and level all my classes to at least 71 so I could grind Trusts if I wanted to, I gained almost 2 chocobo levels (from 11.5 or so to 12, and 12 to 13) in ~2 weeks of casual play, with all the xp and the chocobo buddy challenge log xp for two weeks. I mention the Shadowbringers FATEs specifically because the zones are all very active with FATE parties so completing them is always a breeze, unlike in the older, abandoned zones from previous expansions.

So while it does take considerably longer to level than your character, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Just be sure to stock up on Gysahl Greens, the 30 minute timer per use goes by quick when you're out in the world doing your thing.
    My recommendation is to just slowly level it by weekly logs. That's how we did it in HW anyways, takes a while but it works without brain melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    My recommendation is to just slowly level it by weekly logs. That's how we did it in HW anyways, takes a while but it works without brain melting.
    I’d be doing the FATEs from 70-71 (at least) anyway since it accomplishes so many things at once. Getting the FATE challenge log xp, individual FATE xp, chocobo xp, Shared FATE progress, bicolor gemstones for buying mats to use or sell, and they’re something to do while waiting in Duty Finder queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yup, that's how I did it mostly.
    I think she'll reach 20 next week.

Does anyone know the name of the two songs that plays during this cutscene? "The Unbroken Thread".

https://youtu.be/uFtRCnpUZhg?t=1324

https://youtu.be/uFtRCnpUZhg?t=1591

I wish there was a youtube video with just the music as there is for most themes from Shadowbringers, but I can't find it. I sorely wish there was a music scroll for it so that I could make it my apartment music. This scene made me tear up.
    Last edited by Merie; 2019-07-28 at 07:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm no, not that I know of. Also doesn't exist as Orchestrion roll yet (as most SB music).
    Your best chance would be to extract the game files somehow or wait for future patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Does anyone know the name of the two songs that plays during this cutscene? "The Unbroken Thread".

https://youtu.be/uFtRCnpUZhg?t=1324

https://youtu.be/uFtRCnpUZhg?t=1591

I wish there was a youtube video with just the music as there is for most themes from Shadowbringers, but I can't find it. I sorely wish there was a music scroll for it so that I could make it my apartment music. This scene made me tear up.
    Pretty sure the first one is the instrumental version of the ending theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvNtNcXmJg
    "Tomorrow and Tomorrow"

And this is also another version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyxkvZsnaA
    "Eulmore Theme"

Not so sure:

the second one sounds like a zone/town theme to me.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-07-28 at 12:05 PM.

I have my chocobo at 11 ATM, the main thing I'm dreading is onions, they're expensive enough to make me think twice, and I'm always loathe to spend big on the AH.

I do however have a house, so I have access to a garden, so when I finish leveling, I'll probably start reading guides on growing the onions myself, tho from having a quick glance it seems like a big pain.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

My Choco is 10 atm. Didn't hit it until after 80 too. How expensive is it to overlevel your companion, how high can they go and is it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Just reached level 51 and have started Heavensward.

I've chosen Red Mage. I'm really enjoying the gameplay.

Question: Does their gear ever get better? The starter set you get is a bit... Yuck. I can't find any screen shots online. Are all their sets just the same looking red spanish fencer type gear?
    Red Mage has a specific style they try to go for, which is that French/Spanish duelist/bullfighter look.

Here's Shadowbringers' level 80 gear.

Here's the level 70 gear from Stormblood.

Female characters have a slightly different outfit at 80 than male characters, but the same kind of style.
    Last edited by Niroshi; 2019-07-29 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I have my chocobo at 11 ATM, the main thing I'm dreading is onions, they're expensive enough to make me think twice, and I'm always loathe to spend big on the AH.

I do however have a house, so I have access to a garden, so when I finish leveling, I'll probably start reading guides on growing the onions myself, tho from having a quick glance it seems like a big pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    My Choco is 10 atm. Didn't hit it until after 80 too. How expensive is it to overlevel your companion, how high can they go and is it worth?
    Once your choco hits 10, every level you gain after that requires a Thavairan Onion to actually "ding" that next level. Meaning you can gain all the xp up to level 11, but your choco won't actually BE level 11 until you use an onion.

The onions are expensive on the AH now because everyone wants them and they really are a pain in the ass to grow. Just remember that your choco gets the same number of points as the level they ding so for level 11 they get 11 points to spend, so once your choco hits level 20 they be maxed out in all 3 trees and honestly be pretty powerful and useful.

Whether or not it's "worth it" is subjective. I personally think it is, but I always go a bit out of my way to ensure I'm selling and making decent money. I'm no omnicrafter but I always have 3+ million on me without really trying very hard.

Just reached level 51 and have started Heavensward.

I've chosen Red Mage. I'm really enjoying the gameplay.

Question: Does their gear ever get better? The starter set you get is a bit... Yuck. I can't find any screen shots online. Are all their sets just the same looking red spanish fencer type gear?
    That's kind of their style, but their level 70 class gear is really clean looking, it's the gear set the Red Mage class trainer has. But their thing is the dapper fencer type. I love it personally, but know it's not for everybody.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can get two onions for free by completing two Heavensward side quests. Landing A Stable Job and A Hunter's True Nature. Second one is part of a side quest chain.

Hmmmm. May have to re-think my choice of characters.

I was a bit sad after I swapped out of the badass level 50 Black Mage armour that made me look like a way scarier version of Vivi.
    Here's a CG gallery of each Shadowbringers Artifact armor set. Black Mage is also gendered, the female version is the one shown here. The male version is a sleek long mage "gown" look.

That said though if you're turned off by the gear but enjoy the class, Red Mage can transmog everything casters can transmog. The game doesn't really do Tier sets like WoW used to, so like 99% of the gear is just for casters instead of for specific jobs.