Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Pit bulls in my small town love seem to love me whenever they break out (which seems far to often for my tastes), freaking Yorkies however... nibblin' bastards.

Pit bulls need responsible owners, and are often used as status dogs for the "oh so tough guy" and are abused. As for dogs in general responsibility is key, you need to teach them or they are gonna do what they do by default depending on their breed. They are what you make of them.
    Last edited by Mekkle; 2019-07-26 at 10:34 PM.

So youre saying game dogs did game dog things?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's a group of people that seem deeply attached to science denialism when it comes to the hereditary nature of behavior. I can't help but think that this is an attachment to blank slatism.
    Pit bulls are literally not a breed... they are little more than American mutts, there are two dogs that are close but the vast vast vast majority of dogs considered pit bulls are mutts American mutts smiler to the shorthair cat you find in America that is a common street cat.

Of what we know of temperament and training Shar Peis not American mutts, are one of the most dangerous breeds due to their high violence against human tendencies but they are also usually owned by responsible owners as there is a monetary barrier unlike any pound dog that can be picked up by people with no dog experience.

Science denialism? Oh please, being that the way reports work is largely based off local reporting and the fact that local reporting often can't tell the difference between a mastiff and a pit bull or a doberman and a pit bull means that there is firstly gross misrepresentation.

Then we have the very fact that the overwhelming majority of attacks are by non-neutered dogs while neutered "pits" fit the average for all breeds when it comes to any violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The feverish hatred for them, void of logical capacity to see percentages, recurring on online forums is though.

MMO-C's posterbase has done its best to snuggle up to LiveLeak in recent years, so this is just another step in that direction I suppose.
    I mean, Pit Bulls are vastly more likely to kill someone. That's what the statistics show. It may be because of other factors besides breed, but it is this breed that causes the most fatalities (Not necessarily the most bites).

According to Forbes, Pit Bulls have killed 284 people from 2007 - 2017. The next highest breed, Rottweiler, isn't even close at 45. So you claiming "Right-Wingers" are "Void of logical capacity to see percentages."is a laughable statement. Source: Forbes 2018

I don't hate them but the breed has shown extremely violent tendencies and the individual dogs that behave like that should be put down, or at the very least not be allowed to breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm tired of people posting stuff like this like we don't know the actual statistical data.

"Facts are wrong!" "Media is biased!" "Here is this overwhemingly rare incident involving another breed, see it happens with other dogs too!"

And I think you post this in literally every pitbull thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Factually incorrect.
    what do you mean factually incorrect? Your ignorance of this does not mean I am the one who is wrong it is fucking laughable that you fucking actually believe that it is a breed when there is literally no breed, and the very definition of the term is a dog that fits pit bull type which literally covers mutts and a broad range of tons of pedigree dogs you don't have a fucking clue about this yet you are the one speaking from a pedestal? Ridiculous.

Facts often do not exist in this area, media is often wrong, investigations into it literally showed that media often misreported the type of dog involved because they call any dog that looks similar a pit, it could be a Rhodesian Ridgeback and called a pit.

I think you spew your lack of knowledge on the matter in every pit thread.

they're a bad breed, and they need to be eradicated.

they kill people. they're bred in mass by violent criminals, making them account for pretty much more than any other type of fucking dog in shelters, meaning cats and better breeds get euthanized to hold more of these goddamned monstrosities.

ban them, euthanize all the pups, abort pregnancies and sterilize the adults.

and for the record, i'm talking about the two most offending of them all. the american pitbull terrier and the staffordshire terrier. you know exactly which ones are being talked about, because it's literally always the exact same fucking ones.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    I mean, Pit Bulls are vastly more likely to kill someone. That's what the statistics show. It may be because of other factors besides breed, but it is this breed that causes the most fatalities (Not necessarily the most bites).

According to Forbes, Pit Bulls have killed 284 people from 2007 - 2017. The next highest breed, Rottweiler, isn't even close at 45. So you claiming "Right-Wingers" are "Void of logical capacity to see percentages."is a laughable statement. Source: Forbes 2018

I don't hate them but the breed has shown extremely violent tendencies and the individual dogs that behave like that should be put down, or at the very least not be allowed to breed.
    It is not a breed firstly. The pit bull is typically considered a type of body for a dog, and within that there are tons of other breeds.

Rottweilers on a per capita basis kill more people. Essentially if you have a pit bull type and a Rottweiler, the Rottweiler is more likely to kill.

And their source is terrible once you factor in the very fact that pit bull often means... standard American mutt, and like 15-20 other breeds that look similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Pit bulls are literally not a breed... they are little more than American mutts, there are two dogs that are close but the vast vast vast majority of dogs considered pit bulls are mutts American mutts smiler to the shorthair cat you find in America that is a common street cat.

Of what we know of temperament and training Shar Peis not American mutts, are one of the most dangerous breeds due to their high violence against human tendencies but they are also usually owned by responsible owners as there is a monetary barrier unlike any pound dog that can be picked up by people with no dog experience.

Science denialism? Oh please, being that the way reports work is largely based off local reporting and the fact that local reporting often can't tell the difference between a mastiff and a pit bull or a doberman and a pit bull means that there is firstly gross misrepresentation.

Then we have the very fact that the overwhelming majority of attacks are by non-neutered dogs while neutered "pits" fit the average for all breeds when it comes to any violence.
    That there might be a couple uncommon breeds that are more dangerous or that most pits have some measure of intermixing isn't really much of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they're a bad breed, and they need to be eradicated.

they kill people. they're bred in mass by violent criminals, making them account for pretty much more than any other type of fucking dog in shelters, meaning cats and better breeds get euthanized to hold more of these goddamned monstrosities.

ban them, euthanize all the pups, abort pregnancies and sterilize the adults.

They're not a breed.

Rottweilers kill more people on a per capita basis, and more likely to kill than pit bull types, do you want to eradicate them?

Essentially they're "American standard mutt" much like the standard shorthair cat.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post

Others have debunked that in this thread.

I for one am over the hardon that the internet has to hate on a type of dog that's more likely to be in the hands of people wanting a living weapon than others, especially when the hatred is aimed at a single breed to boot.

The fact still remains that these dogs, especially divided out of type and into breed, aren't even involved in incidents at 1% of their total population, are being vilified and even persecuted as a result of ignorance. Hell, even people pretending to care about animals on a deeper level will see red over this shit.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-07-26 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That there might be a couple uncommon breeds that are more dangerous or that most pits have some measure of intermixing isn't really much of an argument.
    It is an argument.

When the argument says "pits must be eradicated because they're the most violent breed"

When Rottweilers are more likely to kill, and Shar Peis are extremely human aggressive, it is extremely relevant.

Yet where is the talk of them?

The problem is they're a standard American mutt, that is found in every pound that will let them go to any person who wants to adopt a dog, whether or not that person should be allowed to adopt.

They're not a breed.

Rottweilers kill more people on a per capita basis, and more likely to kill than pit bull types, do you want to eradicate them?

Essentially they're "American standard mutt" much like the standard shorthair cat.
    they are a breed and you know it. i named the two that always cause the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Others have debunked that in this thread.

I for one am over the hardon that the internet has to hate on a type of dog that's more likely to be in the hands of people wanting a living weapon than others, especially when the hatred is aimed at a single breed to boot.

When I was growing up the dogs that needed to be put down and just disappear were the German shepherd, an extremely smart great breed, the doberman, same deal, and the Rottweiler.

- - - Updated - - -

they are a breed and you know, i named the two that always cause the problems.
    They're not a breed.

Pit bulls are considered a dog type much how you can have sighthounds a pit bull is a type like a sighthound is a type of dog. Which covers tons of different breeds of dogs.

The pure ignorance around dogs, type of dogs, and what pit bulls are is quite hilarious. Like people are in here adamant about how evil pit bulls are, which is similar to saying how evil sighthounds are, or how evil retrievers or how evil all mastiff types are.

Yet these same people who don't know shit about this topic surely do love to tout how much this "breed" that does not exist, needs to go away.

The pit bull is a type, like the guard dog is a type like the retriever is a type like a working dog is a type. They are not a fucking breed.

Bitching about pits is like is working type dogs similar to border collies mixed and down the line became a standard street dog, and being just a standard street dog one can find in a pound began to become problems, so someone said "we need to kill all working dogs" well Australian shepherds and border collies are also working dogs... do you want to kill all of them as well?

Like you and many others just have not a damn clue what you're on about.
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-07-26 at 11:01 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Fox News.....I click on the video thinking it was about this story but it's about how everyone was wrong about immigration detention centers being so bad.

OT: So what you're saying is that no other breed could have forced it's way through the cages of an outdated facility? Or that no other breed would kill cats?
    The video in the link is not about the OP's article. But the article in the link is. A odd way for Fox news to do that, but it is common.

Pit-bulls mixes have a reputation ( which is true ) of being more aggressive than other dog breeds. Just look up the number ( percentages ) of cases of them in death's and bites to humans. They are bred for fighting to the death. And their physical capabilities can dish out a lot of damage in a hurry. In my opinion ( and shared by some city ordinances. ) they should be a breed which requires a license to own.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The video in the link is not about the OP's article. But the article in the link is. A odd way for Fox news to do that, but it is common.

Pit-bulls mixes have a reputation ( which is true ) of being more aggressive than other dog breeds. Just look up the number ( percentages ) of cases of them in death's and bites to humans. They are bred for fighting to the death. And their physical capabilities can dish out a lot of damage in a hurry. In my opinion ( and shared by some city ordinances. ) they should be a breed which requires a license to own.
    Hey look another person who doesn't understand that they're not breed.

Rottweilers kill more people per capita, where is the outrage about that?

They're not a breed.

Pit bulls are considered a dog type much how you can have sighthounds a pit bull is a type like a sighthound is a type of dog. Which covers tons of different breeds of dogs.

The pure ignorance around dogs, type of dogs, and what pit bulls are is quite hilarious. Like people are in here adamant about how evil pit bulls are, which is similar to saying how evil sighthounds are, or how evil retrievers or how evil all mastiff types are.

Yet these same people who don't know shit about this topic surely do love to tout how much this "breed" that does not exist, needs to go away.

The pit bull is a type, like the guard dog is a type like the retriever is a type like a working dog is a type. They are not a fucking breed.

Bitching about pits is like is working type dogs similar to border collies mixed and down the line became a standard street dog, and being just a standard street dog one can find in a pound began to become problems, so someone said "we need to kill all working dogs" well Australian shepherds and border collies are also working dogs... do you want to kill all of them as well?

Like you and many others just have not a damn clue what you're on about.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...dshire_Terrier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

"The American Staffordshire Terrier, also known as the Amstaff (in the United States), is a medium-sized, short-coated American dog breed.[2][3][4] In the early part of the twentieth century the breed gained social stature and was accepted by the American Kennel Club in 1936 and should not be confused with the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of the United Kingdom.[5]"

"The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a purebred dog breed recognized by the United Kennel Club[1] and American Dog Breeders Association,[2]"

tell me again how they're not a breed.

it's one of these two, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    lol did you just compare humans to dogs. Animals behave based on their genetic coding. Humans behave 99% based on their cultural atmosphere.

This idea that "there are no bad breeds, only bad owners" isn't actually correct when it comes to animal behavior. But it is correct to say "there are no bad children, only bad parents/cultures/circumstances/etc".
    This is not true though. From birth people have individual personalities and so do animals. How much could have culture influenced a 6 months old baby? Or do you tell me that all children are the same from birth on?

Same as with dogs or any other animal, it's 50% your DNA and 50% your surrounding that forms you. This is considered common knowledge in my book tbh...

Hey look another person who doesn't understand that they're not breed.

Rottweilers kill more people per capita, where is the outrage about that?
    There's plenty of outrage, but Rottweilers as you say aren't as common in the US as bull type dogs.
    And it's astonishing how often I'll see Americans call a dog a Rottweiler when it's clearly a mix. That's probably a big part of what's behind the ignorance really, playing fast and loose with calling dogs a breed when it's not confirmed.

Some years back a "Rottweiler" in our parts attempted to bite a child over the head. The newspapers reported it as a Rottweiler, complete with the image of one baring its teeth.

It was a Newfoundland/Flat Coated/Labrador mix, completely black, long coat. The newspapers redacted and revised the story after backlash. The dog was well known for its aggressive tendencies and put down, luckily before it could hurt anyone.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-07-26 at 11:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    From birth people have individual personalities and so do animals.
    For people if you controlled for all parameters each person would have to be the exact same. It's impossible to control for everything, so yeah, everybody is unique. Even identical twins raised in the same house will differentiate over time.

How much could have culture influenced a 6 months old baby?
    None at first. When the brain of fetus starts firing it's all genetic, then as the person ages cultural information re-writes over more and more genetic information. For example genes never instruct a person to adopt veganism but culture could convince someone to ignore their innate desires, if they want to.

Same as with dogs or any other animal, it's 50% your DNA and 50% your surrounding that forms you. This is considered common knowledge in my book tbh...
    There's some mixture, but like I said earlier animals have an upper limit to how much they can be trained and learn from their surroundings. For example no amount of training could ever make a dog learn how to read and write English. With the exact right DNA and the exact right training it might be possible to 100% guarantee a dog will never be violent, but I don't think we know how to achieve that right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...dshire_Terrier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

"The American Staffordshire Terrier, also known as the Amstaff (in the United States), is a medium-sized, short-coated American dog breed.[2][3][4] In the early part of the twentieth century the breed gained social stature and was accepted by the American Kennel Club in 1936 and should not be confused with the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of the United Kingdom.[5]"

"The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a purebred dog breed recognized by the United Kennel Club[1] and American Dog Breeders Association,[2]"

tell me again how they're not a breed.

it's one of these two, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
    It is not one of those every single time... those two are pit bull type dogs but almost every pound dog is neither of those two breeds, they're all pit bull types. they're generally mixes.

Also if we want to talk about temperament the people who deal with this, found beagles and chihuahuas and border collies to be more aggressive. At least this is what the American temperament society notes. There are others dogs with worse scores.

The pit bull terrier is once again, a specific breed, but note that they're call "x terrier" they're both pit bulls, along with a shit ton of other dogs and mixes.

You're actually proving my point that they're not a breed but a type