Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I kinda enjoy how the "scary dog breed that needs to be eradicated" changes roughly every decade. First it was Dobermans, then Rottweilers, nowadays it's Pitbulls. I want to nominate Chow Chows next.

>humans breed for aggression and attacking large targets
    >humans breed for violence and dog fights
    >also humans- ITS A LIEEEEEE

Wonder if you apologists realize how stupid you look to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    It addresses in the first question in the thing. Does it really matter if it's a breed? Basically what this is saying: these dogs are dangerous because they are big and strong and their bites are life threatening. Do you disagree with this notion?
    Any dog over 100lbs is life threatening. If they went for your throat while you slept, bye bye. Shepherds, mastiffs, retrievers, huskies, dobermans, etc are potentially lethal.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    I kinda enjoy how the "scary dog breed that needs to be eradicated" changes roughly every decade. First it was Dobermans, then Rottweilers, nowadays it's Pitbulls. I want to nominate Chow Chows next.
    German Shepherds, too. It's because bad owners flock to a breed, breed the dog for fighting/aggression, and mistreat or deliberately train the dog to be aggressive. Cities and housing owners respond by banning certain breeds to limit their liability. When a breed gets banned, bad owners flock to another one.

Human beings are once again the problem, to no one's surprise.

I'm also going to add that pit bulls have been on the fatalities list in the US for decades, although Rottweilers and German Shepherds were once more prominent. You can search through every recorded incident in Wikipedia in order to get a sense of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._(before_2000)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_(2000s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States fatalities past 2009

10+ Year Old Account
    Want to solve this? Go hard on illegal breeders, create some sort of "licence" that people need to be allowed to keep canines of a specific size. I wound say all pets because people need to be educated and need to be able to proof they can afford to keep it.

The problem? More so than political willpower and a platform. A way to check up and control people that isn't overly invasive and respect peoples privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    IN Denver chow chows are actually at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You believe the very clear data showing pit bulls are overwhelming the most dangerous breed of dog? Guess you must be a hateful right winger then.

Jesus christ.

Please, just learn more.
    The data is not very clear.

Pit bulls are:

1. not a breed
    2. are a type like "hound" or "working dog"
    3. studies that take into account population and prevalence actually do not have pit bull types in the top slots. Instead, you find border collies, chow chows, German shepherds, and rottweilers.
    4. As pit bulls aren't a breed but are a type this means 25+ breeds of dogs + hundreds of mixes of mutts are all included under pit bull type

5. i already linked to the american veterinary medical association, which notes that pit bull types aren't especially violent compared to other breeds.

6. also noted the American temperament people who deal with dogs and pit bulls score rather high, above border collies

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    As a Installer for satellite TV for 10 + years, ill tell you that the most aggressive dogs are the little ones, they bit every time, but because they small nothing comes of it. Every pit i've met has been a sweetheart. The saying is true in my mind, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
    Lol as an installer for satellite tv I think I’d be safe to say your anecdotal opinion on animals is irrelevant. Also if those pitbulls weren’t sweetheart you think the owner would let them in the same room as a stranger?

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Lol as an installer for satellite tv I think I’d be safe to say your anecdotal opinion on animals is irrelevant. Also if those pitbulls weren’t sweetheart you think the owner would let them in the same room as a stranger?
    i think you have no idea what its like installing in the rocky mountains of colorado and think only of what it's like to install in highly urbanized areas. that's what i think.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Weirdly enough when I gave it a google as to a longer list the Chow Chow was up there.

Death by floof suffocation. And teeth. Mostly teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Weirdly enough when I gave it a google as to a longer list the Chow Chow was up there.

Death by floof suffocation. And teeth. Mostly teeth.
    They're a breed known to bite and have bad temperaments, it's unsurprising.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The data is not very clear.

Pit bulls are:

1. not a breed
    2. are a type like "hound" or "working dog"
    3. studies that take into account population and prevalence actually do not have pit bull types in the top slots. Instead, you find border collies, chow chows, German shepherds, and rottweilers.
    4. As pit bulls aren't a breed but are a type this means 25+ breeds of dogs + hundreds of mixes of mutts are all included under pit bull type

5. i already linked to the american veterinary medical association, which notes that pit bull types aren't especially violent compared to other breeds.

6. also noted the American temperament people who deal with dogs and pit bulls score rather high, above border collies
    If all breeds' behavior was the same and behavior was 100% learned and not genetic then you wouldn't see disparities in the statistics at all, all breeds would be equally represented (or proportionally represented based on their overall prevalence in the pet population). But alas you do.

Whether you call them a breed or not, pit bulls are up there and vastly overrepresented in fatalities AND bite statistics. They're not even the most popular dog in the US. APBT and Staffies aren't even in the top 10 or even close, Staffies are #85.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/ne...reeds-of-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They're a breed known to bite and have bad temperaments, it's unsurprising.

- - - Updated - - -

If all breeds' behavior was the same and behavior was 100% learned and not genetic then you wouldn't see disparities in the statistics at all, all breeds would be equally represented (or proportionally represented based on their overall prevalence in the pet population). But alas you do.

Whether you call them a breed or not, pit bulls are up there and vastly overrepresented in fatalities AND bite statistics. They're not even the most popular dog in the US. APBT and Staffies aren't even in the top 10 or even close, Staffies are #85.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/ne...reeds-of-2018/
    So you do not believe the organization responsible for temperament and you also do not believe the veterinary medical association who cited several studies on this very issue.

You are wrong point blank.

APBT and Staffies are literally two of dozens and several hundreds of mutt mixes that are included in "pit bull" so my dear trying to say "but they're over represented" is extremely short sighted and foolish.

Want to know why it is foolish?

because studies looking specifically at PREVALENCE as it relates to POPULATION have already proven that German shepherds, Rottweilers, chow chows are all over represented not fucking "pit bulls" when you factor in the fact that pit bulls aren't even a breed but a type then we come to the fact that actually they're a rather safe dog.

As far as this disparity BULL SHIT you keep pushing it is TOTAL BULL SHIT the AVMA already wrote a piece, and noted SEVERAL STUDIES on this very fucking issue and proved it to be entirely misplaced bullshit but please go on and say "but I want studies" and then proceed to ignore the fucking AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION that goes on to cite several studies.

When you factor in the sheer number of pit bull types that stats aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Other dogs are just a single breed but not pit bulls.

Another thing, this idea of genetics is TOTAL BULLSHIT because pit bulls are a fucking type.

Do you expect all hounds to act alike? Because they fucking don't, you sure as fuck shouldn't expect all hundreds of mixes and dozens of breeds to all act alike.

In fucking fact, often enough pit bulls aren't even pit bulls but an entirely different breed that just is labeled as such, but you seem to not want to get that into your fucking head, and instead ignore the studies, ignore the veterinaries who cited several studies and noted the issues and ignore the fucking people who score breeds and types based on temperament, no no fuck them all you know better right?

"Where study"

"here study"

"but... what about these numbers"

"the study I sent you literally proves why those numbers aren't representative... and goes further to note which breeds actually are when controlled for population"

"but they're over represented in attack numbers!"

"Actually the study shows that they aren't, and are about average, there are just high numbers because the number of dogs considered pit bull types is high."

"well I rather ignore that."

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So you do not believe the organization responsible for temperament and you also do not believe the veterinary medical association who cited several studies on this very issue.

You are wrong point blank.

APBT and Staffies are literally two of dozens and several hundreds of mutt mixes that are included in "pit bull" so my dear trying to say "but they're over represented" is extremely short sighted and foolish.

Want to know why it is foolish?

because studies looking specifically at PREVALENCE as it relates to POPULATION have already proven that German shepherds, Rottweilers, chow chows are all over represented not fucking "pit bulls" when you factor in the fact that pit bulls aren't even a breed but a type then we come to the fact that actually they're a rather safe dog.

As far as this disparity BULL SHIT you keep pushing it is TOTAL BULL SHIT the AVMA already wrote a piece, and noted SEVERAL STUDIES on this very fucking issue and proved it to be entirely misplaced bullshit but please go on and say "but I want studies" and then proceed to ignore the fucking AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION that goes on to cite several studies.

When you factor in the sheer number of pit bull types that stats aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Other dogs are just a single breed but not pit bulls.

Another thing, this idea of genetics is TOTAL BULLSHIT because pit bulls are a fucking type.

Do you expect all hounds to act alike? Because they fucking don't, you sure as fuck shouldn't expect all hundreds of mixes and dozens of breeds to all act alike.

In fucking fact, often enough pit bulls aren't even pit bulls but an entirely different breed that just is labeled as such, but you seem to not want to get that into your fucking head, and instead ignore the studies, ignore the veterinaries who cited several studies and noted the issues and ignore the fucking people who score breeds and types based on temperament, no no fuck them all you know better right?

"Where study"

"here study"

"but... what about these numbers"

"the study I sent you literally proves why those numbers aren't representative... and goes further to note which breeds actually are when controlled for population"

"but they're over represented in attack numbers!"

"Actually the study shows that they aren't, and are about average, there are just high numbers because the number of dogs considered pit bull types is high."

"well I rather ignore that."
    Really, I'd love to see that research that you apparently have about how pit bulls are significantly more popular than any other breed, because I just showed you a link that showed that they aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-exp...reeds-by-state let's use a different metric here. Laborador retrievers are #1 in 42 states, according to this website. So why aren't Labs #1 in bite and fatality statistics, if genetics doesn't matter and bite statistics are all relative to the prevalence of the breed?

https://www.maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/ here's another website that lists overall bite statistics by breed, rather than fatal dog attacks. Notice how Labs are #10 on the bite list, despite being the #1 breed overall (top in 42 states) according to at least two independent websites.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am unsure why Pit Bulls became the necessary dog breed to defend from bite statistics, but I guess this is now the hot button issue of the age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I think the dog breed is fine. For some reason every dirt bag that owns a dog seems to own a Pit Bull.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see stats on dog attacks comparing breed and income levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am unsure why Pit Bulls became the necessary dog breed to defend from bite statistics, but I guess this is now the hot button issue of the age.
    People are irrational about their personal fluff balls of doom. I like pit bulls a lot, they are cute and will cover your face in slobbery kisses. But they are a high-risk breed.

I am okay with people owning pitbulls as much as I am okay with people carrying around loaded guns, if you take extra precautions then you'll probably be okay but if not you'll end up with a bullet in your foot or a half-eaten toddler in her crib.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    People are irrational about their personal fluff balls of doom. I like pit bulls a lot, they are cute and will cover your face in slobbery kisses. But they are a high-risk breed.

I am okay with people owning pit bulls as much as I am okay with people carrying around loaded guns, if you take extra precautions then you'll probably be okay but if not you'll end up with a bullet in your foot or a half-eaten toddler in her crib.
    I prefer Afghans or mutts who look like Wolves honestly. The Siberian husky that looks like a legit wolf.

But then again I own a tortoise whose dumb as hell, blinks one eye at a time, humps anything girl tortoise shaped and will bite anything red or yellow and after 15 years still cannot comprehend what glass is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I prefer Afghans or mutts who look like Wolves honestly. The Siberian husky that looks like a legit wolf.

But then again I own a tortoise whose dumb as hell, blinks one eye at a time, humps anything girl tortoise shaped and will bite anything red or yellow and after 15 years still cannot comprehend what glass is.
    I always side eye the wolf lookalikes because they never look enough like wolves to me. Wolves and wolf hybrids were legal pets in Alaska while I was growing up, there was a wolf farm out in Palmer that we used to visit when heading out there for the state fair. They'd jump on you, give you kisses, etc.

This guy would go right up to dogs and humans out in Juneau before some hunter shot him. Rip Romeo.

My dog made friends with a coyote at the dog park recently, was cute. Usually dogs, wolves, foxes and coyotes are all antagonistic towards each other so if they interact like this it's usually because someone is being a flirt

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    i think you have no idea what its like installing in the rocky mountains of colorado and think only of what it's like to install in highly urbanized areas. that's what i think.
    I have no idea what it’s like installing satellite tv in any place. You being an installer of satellite tv doesn’t add anything to this discussion, you use it as a vessel to carry your anecdotal opinion, but it just makes your entire statement come of as ridiculous.

“As a spare Santa, I can say that the milk and cookies in the mid west are far superior to those in the east coast”

- - - Updated - - -

I always side eye the wolf lookalikes because they never look enough like wolves to me. Wolves and wolf hybrids were legal pets in Alaska while I was growing up, there was a wolf farm out in Palmer that we used to visit when heading out there for the state fair. They'd jump on you, give you kisses, etc.

This guy would go right up to dogs and humans out in Juneau before some hunter shot him. Rip Romeo.

My dog made friends with a coyote at the dog park recently, was cute. Usually dogs, wolves, foxes and coyotes are all antagonistic towards each other so if they interact like this it's usually because someone is being a flirt
    Not to ruin the fun here but it could also be rabies.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Fox News.....I click on the video thinking it was about this story but it's about how everyone was wrong about immigration detention centers being so bad.

OT: So what you're saying is that no other breed could have forced it's way through the cages of an outdated facility? Or that no other breed would kill cats?
    No, what he is saying is that some breeds do violent things like this a lot more than other breeds do, and thus earn their bad reputation. The same can be applied to other species.