Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Purpose of Mechagon, and why it leads directly to 9.0

I'll keep this brief since this is merely theory, and I could be completely wrong about this.

Essentially I believe that Mechagon, like the Timeless Isle before it, is a rather large hint at the nature of the next expansion. If you remember, the Timeless Isle was released at the same time as The Siege of Orgrimmar, and we first encountered Kairoz who sent us on a quest to find an artifact that would allow him to peer into alternate timelines. He would eventually rescue Garrosh and send him back in time to an alternate Draenor and that led to the Warlords of Draenor expansion after Mists of Pandaria. The Isle itself was largely based around time travel, alternate timelines, etc. In short, the Timeless Isle and SoO were intrinsically connected, and eventually led to WoW 6.0.

Many have compared Mechagon to the Timeless Isle, however unlike the Timeless Isle, many think that Mechagon is a one and done deal with no connection to the overall story taking place with Sylvanas, N'Zoth, and Azshara. However, if we look a little bit below the surface, we see a connective tissue between the two; King Mechagon is attempting to use technology to purge what he views as "Old God corruption", i.e. The Curse of the Flesh.

I know some think that that is silly, but consider if this were flipped around, and you had a hero, say Mekkatorque, attempting to use a device to rid Old God corruption from a city or a group of people. Not only would you say that this is obviously connected to the overarching theme of the story, but obviously this is going to be used against the Old Gods at some point, either in 8.3 or 9.0. Blizzard flipping this around so that we're essentially stopping the villain from purging an Old God curse hides the general thematics at play, and one of the true purposes behind Mechagon's existence (the other is getting the player base more familiar with technology and gadgets in WoW).

Which finally leads to Mekkatorque and the Junker Gnomes. I believe that in 8.3, or maybe even 9.0, Mekkatorque returns, the Junkers join as a playable race, and Mekkatorque develops technology from Mechagon that can effectively fight the Old Gods. Perhaps this is a repurposed or redesigned Mechanoriginator, or it is something else entirely, either way, I believe that Mekkatorque becomes a key figure in defeating the Old Gods.

That's my theory. Feel free to discuss away!
    Last edited by Teriz; 2019-07-28 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We wont defeat the old gods. All bow down to our lord and savior N'Zoth.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I believe that we actually fight N'Zoth in 8.3, defeat him, and Xal'atath takes his place ushering in the Black Empire for 9.0.

But like I said, all this is just theory.

I like this.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I second this. Hail N'Zoth.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'll keep this brief since this is merely theory, and I could be completely wrong about this.

Essentially I believe that Mechagon, like the Timeless Isle before it, is a rather large hint at the nature of the next expansion. If you remember, in the Timeless Isle was released at the same time as The Siege of Orgrimmar, and we first encountered Kairoz who sent us on a quest to find an artifact that would allow him to peer into alternate timelines, and he would eventually rescue Garrosh and send him back in time to an alternate Draenor and that led to the Warlords of Draenor expansion after Mists of Pandaria. The Isle itself was largely based around time travel, alternate timelines, etc. In short, the Timeless Isle and SoO were intrinsically connected, and eventually led to WoW 6.0.

Many have compared Mechagon to the Timeless Isle, however unlike the Timeless Isle, many think that Mechagon is a one and done deal with no connection to the overall story taking place with Sylvanas, N'Zoth, and Azshara. However, if we look a little bit below the surface, we see a connective tissue between the two; King Mechagon is attempting to use technology to purge what he views as "Old God corruption", i.e. The Curse of the Flesh.

I know some think that that is silly, but consider if this were flipped around, and you had a hero, say Mekkatorque, attempting to use a device to rid Old God corruption from a city or a group of people. Not only would you say that this is obviously connected to the overarching theme of the story, but obviously this is going to be used against the Old Gods at some point, either in 8.3 or 9.0. Blizzard flipping this around so that we're essentially stopping the villain from purging an Old God curse hides the general thematics at play, and one of the true purposes behind Mechagon's existence (the other is getting the player base more familiar with technology and gadgets in WoW).

Which finally leads to Mekkatorque and the Junker Gnomes. I believe that in 8.3, or maybe even 9.0, Mekkatorque returns, the Junkers join as a playable race, and Mekkatorque develops technology from Mechagon that can effectively fight the Old Gods. Perhaps this is a repurposed or redesigned Mechanoriginator, or it is something else entirely, either way, I believe that Mekkatorque becomes a key figure in defeating the Old Gods.

This is my favorite theory out there so far.

The part about Mechagon I liked most already was their race's determination to purge the Curse of Flesh, and what you lay out actually really solidifies it with some importance.

Thank you! That would end up being pretty great if the Gnomes took out an impending Old God threat instead of Sylvanas as some expect, leaving her to become her own thing later with Death magic.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

We've seen this several times before, people being so anxious about the curse of flesh that they joined up with an Old God to get rid of it or teaming up with some other dark entity because they were so mad that the Titans let it happen. The guy in the Borean Tundra (also a gnome, can't remember his name) the vrykul, the Tol'vir and now the Mechagnomes.
    Also, we hear in some of the hand in-text from the Pet battles that there were strange metals underground that creeped them out. I can't find the questtext that Vera Lonelycog gives you upon handing in, it's from one of the small robots' quests.

Well... if the latest leak is to be believed, it's likely 8.3 will be the siege of thunderbluff and Sylvanas the final boss. As it should be tbh.

10+ Year Old Account

Essentially I believe that Mechagon, like the Timeless Isle before it, is a rather large hint at the nature of the next expansion. If you remember, in the Timeless Isle was released at the same time as The Siege of Orgrimmar, and we first encountered Kairoz who sent us on a quest to find an artifact that would allow him to peer into alternate timelines, and he would eventually rescue Garrosh and send him back in time to an alternate Draenor and that led to the Warlords of Draenor expansion after Mists of Pandaria. The Isle itself was largely based around time travel, alternate timelines, etc. In short, the Timeless Isle and SoO were intrinsically connected, and eventually led to WoW 6.0.

I can see Junker Gnome being a great name instead of Tinker, sounds better imo, however on to the theory I believe, Mekkatorque gets repaired by the citizens of Mechagon, he takes over as King, and Overhauls the Mechaoriginator, and desings it with the full intention of cleansing the Old God corruption, but not ridding the Curse of Flesh, because originally it was designed with one thing in mind, as Ultron would say it, "When I am done, the only thing left to inhabit this world, will be metal" I think Mekkatorque re-engineers this.
    Kaiba, Vengeance Incarnate
    Level 120 Demon Hunter - Garona, US
    Havoc Specialization
    Level 31 Hunter - Mankrik, US
    Catch me live on Twitch.tv @Kaiba12

An expansion that looks like Mechagon is an expansion I won't buy.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by kaiba1 View Post
    I can see Junker Gnome being a great name instead of Tinker, sounds better imo, however on to the theory I believe, Mekkatorque gets repaired by the citizens of Mechagon, he takes over as King, and Overhauls the Mechaoriginator, and desings it with the full intention of cleansing the Old God corruption, but not ridding the Curse of Flesh, because originally it was designed with one thing in mind, as Ultron would say it, "When I am done, the only thing left to inhabit this world, will be metal" I think Mekkatorque re-engineers this.
    But the curse of flesh, at least as far as we know, is the Old God corruption. You remove the corruption, you remove mortality and free will. Also, you remove all flesh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    But the curse of flesh, at least as far as we know, is the Old God corruption. You remove the corruption, you remove mortality and free will. Also, you remove all flesh.
    Yes, however the Mechaoriginator was designed just like the Forge of Origination was, WIPE the world, start over, but the only thing living would be metal. We remove the curse of flesh, the only we can really do that, is kill every being on Azeroth affected by the Curse of Flesh
    Kaiba, Vengeance Incarnate
    Level 120 Demon Hunter - Garona, US
    Havoc Specialization
    Level 31 Hunter - Mankrik, US
    Catch me live on Twitch.tv @Kaiba12

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    This is my favorite theory out there so far.

The part about Mechagon I liked most already was their race's determination to purge the Curse of Flesh, and what you lay out actually really solidifies it with some importance.

Thank you! That would end up being pretty great if the Gnomes took out an impending Old God threat instead of Sylvanas as some expect, leaving her to become her own thing later with Death magic.

You're welcome! I do think Gnomes saving the day would trigger some people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    An expansion that looks like Mechagon is an expansion I won't buy.
    It would still be an Old God expansion, just using titan-derived technology to combat them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would still be an Old God expansion, just using titan-derived technology to combat them.

Better idea, use the Ulduar Forges to make iron soldiers to fight all the other Old Gods.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    Since we're talking about machines, Mekkatorque (and maybe Gazlowe if Blizzard makes him a tech wiz) could simply recalibrate the Mechorginator to only harm the Old Gods and not all life on Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Better idea, use the Ulduar Forges to make iron soldiers to fight all the other Old Gods.
    I could definitely see a situation where various titan facilities around Azeroth are revisited in order to figure out a way to fight back against the Old Gods.

An excellent notion, but Azeroth is doomed. N'zoth will bring us beneath the waves, and the land will grow wild over all the little castles.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    I second this. Hail N'Zoth.
    See Straight Forward! Present Arms!

The king junker knows what's coming and seeing it as the only way doesn't want to be cleaned out along with the rest of the flesh. We've seen this story before. In the mountains...
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-07-28 at 02:32 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

If that was all true and happened, I would absolutely love it. Mechagon is awesome.

Since we're talking about machines, Mekkatorque (and maybe Gazlowe if Blizzard makes him a tech wiz) could simply recalibrate the Mechorginator to only harm the Old Gods and not all life on Azeroth.

<snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiba1 View Post
    Yes, however the Mechaoriginator was designed just like the Forge of Origination was, WIPE the world, start over, but the only thing living would be metal. We remove the curse of flesh, the only we can really do that, is kill every being on Azeroth affected by the Curse of Flesh

And how would he harm the Old Gods with re-origination or mech-originating them? He can't just evaporate them or burn them out of the world's surface, because that would leave holes big enough to kill Azeroth, even one of them might be more than enough at this time. If it leaves them there and just kills them, we're back to square one and their corpses simply keep corrupting with only the Titan Keepers to take care of it. Not even armies or little helpers for them, because they can't make armies without the curse anymore. And they will be left over only if their personalities and kind of free will and being subjected to Yogg Saron's mind for so long has not already made them at least partly cursed as well. Or if they were ever supposed to get away from re-origination at all. The Titans may have made re-origination kill everything, because they could always just have made more Keepers and helpers, which may be a reason why they gave the Constellar the key to it, so he could re-originate even if the Keepers didn't want to. So then you'd have a worldsoul without defenders and at worst one still living Old God, who is now free or at best several Old God corpses corrupting it. And at least one race that already wants the universe to go to the void, which will not be affected at all: the Etherals. Once we're all dead, they swoop in and do what they did to their homeworld. Game over.

I think this whole 'getting rid of the Curse of Flesh' or 'corruption' is another way for the Old Gods to get mortals to help them. They gave it to us and now we want to be perfect and flawless again or want to save our world, even if it means sacrificing us. Why else would they keep dangling the possibility of 'cleansing' us before our eyes all the time? This is the third time we see this in the game, and always there was some Old God shenanigans involved. The most notable one being, up to Mechagon, the time when the Tol'vir received back their flesh-less "perfection" when they joined Deathwing in that cutscene in Uldum.

Only one left. We defeated 2 others, and the Titans the third.