Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well thought out, but wasted. Sylvanas is an Old God puppet. Still well thought out though, OP, kudos. I enjoyed the read.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anything that brings the Infinite Dragonflight back into the mix, I'm all for.

I still think the Infinite had (maybe still have) the potential to be really devestating enemies if Blizzard stops writing them off as dungeon villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    True enemy at this point is obviously Blizzard itself. Just look at what a mess of a story they made.
    I concur /10 char

Good theory but it's already stated that the old gods created the Infinite dragonflight. Specially since the whole purpose of them is stopping the key point events on azeroth that would make either horde or alliance strong enough to stop their enemies.
    So unless that's retconned, not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    "Would it not be swell if Jaina non-canonically created frostmourne?"

What does that even mean? I mean, it would also be cool if Obama created the Frostmourne, non-canonically.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Malfurion and Sylvanas about to have the most baller game of Plants vs Zombies though.

Just going to throw my hat into the ring here.

I would still argue for Sylvanas' tue goal being "death". And keep with me here, but this might get a bit ranty.

The end time, at least as i understood it, and as i think is a valid observtion. Is that Murozond claimed that the End time was the lesser of several evils. And after thinking about it, i realized what i likely meant.
    The End Time is a world consumed by death. Nothing except timeless beings exist there, specifically, no old gods. And if something killed all the old gods, then we can likely assume that Azeroth is dead as well. Murozond considers the End Time to be the better timeline because death prevented the Old gods' plan from succeding. There is nothing left to corrupt. Meaning the old gods failed.

The forces of death that we are more familiar with (Bwonsamdi and Lich king) seems more concerned with "Balance" and death. Their endgame seems to be to expand their forces infinitely by ensuring the continuation of life. They use their powers over death to influence life, which might sound like weird rambling. But consider this.
    Death, as we know it is the discontinuation of life, of consciousness. Yet all the major players we have seen for Death seem to be fixated on life after death. And that is the codeword. LIFE after death. Not a discontinuation of life, but collecting souls so they live eternally in their care. This realm being the death realm, sure. But we have no idea what being in that realm truly entails.
    If Hell exists, then that is in itself an admission of life after death.

Sylvanas could still be serving death. Just not in the same way that others we know of do. She is serving "true" death. No life after death, just the end of posibilities. Afterall. even the undead can concieve possibilities, and act on them. Only death is a true endpoint. There is nothing left to corrupt for the Void. Nothing left to preserve for the Light. Nothing left for life to feed upon. Only death.

- - - Updated - - -

tl;dr: for the above.
    Death is still the true enemy beause we have never encountered "true death". We have only met those who claim to follow it.
    All the major players that claim to champion death, none of them seem to champion actual death, but instead Life after Death. True death, it would therefore follow. Would be no life after death, meaning no suffering, and no possibilities.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Nah it'll probably turn out to be the Zerg because of that one Tauren Space Marine easter egg and it'll be revealed that Warcraft was always set in Starcraft's past and we were all too daft not to realise it or another nebulous cosmic force will be created that wants to eat/convert/kill Azeroth/creation.
    That’s means our earth exists in their universe at this moment but at what stage ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Finally, isn't it kind of convenient that one of Sylvanas' staunchest supporters came from AU Draenor? And isn't it convenient that Eitrigg just stumbled upon a shard of the Vision of Time to open a portal to AU Draenor? And isn't it convenient that AU Draenei became radicalized by the Light and drove the Orcs from their home?
    Well, yes, it is convenient. That's how Blizzard writes. There's no deeper meaning behind their convenient story-telling solutions, only laziness and incompetence. So looking for it is futile.

Speaking of which, looking at the larger picture here, the true enemy is Blizzard's writers. And it kinda fits your theory about the ally of the Light being an outside 7th force. They are as outside of Warcraft's internal universe as you can get. They are pushing Anduin (himself an agent of Light) as the ultimate savior in their story, which would be the Alliance in question.

So maybe, just maybe, the sheer magnitude of Blizzard's writers' incompetence finally dawned on them and in order to atone they decided to write themselves into the story as the true enemy to serve as raid fodder few expansions down the line? Now, you may wonder why would they make such blatant self-inserts when trying to atone for bad writing, but keep in mind that it wouldn't magically make them not suck. They'd still suck, they'd just be self-aware about it, which only makes the self-inserts more logical in this situation.

Just imagine all those bosses. Kossak the Atrocious. Metzen and his army of Warhammer rip-offs. Afrasiabi the Mute, who'll just die instantly because he couldn't ask the rest of the team what his fight strategy should be. Christie "I'm so lazy when it comes to writing research that when writing about Forsaken, a race I knew little about, I wouldn't even check Sylvanas' longest monologue about her people, or even their goddamn starting quest" Golden who'll try to retcon you out of existence during the fight. Danuser, who'll shapeshift between an emo Blood Elf "Death" Hunter and Sylvanas-shaped body-pillow. Secret boss Knaak, where the other bosses will surprisingly help you out and try to retcon his attacks out of existence instead.

Best expansion right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Cheers to OP for coming out with a well thought way to save this mess of a plot that is BfA. Unfortunately, I don't think Blizz wants (or ever can) do something like that.

Good read anyway.
    Save BfA? No, of course they can't. They deluded themselves into thinking that BfA is amazing when it comes to the story and outright shared the idea that by the time BfA ends everyone will realize that and be in awe of its magnificence, having a new outlook on Warcraft as a whole or some shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    True enemy at this point is obviously Blizzard itself. Just look at what a mess of a story they made.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    The true enemy is the writers :V
    Dammnit Infinites travelling through time to post my idea before me QQ

I swear David Benioff and D.B. Weiss from Game of Thrones got hired to ghostwrite BfA.

"I guess the Alliance and the Horde kind of forgot about the Tidestone of Golganneth".
    It was probably just a tribute. After all, Blizzard's writers openly praised the last season of GoT. Dipshit&Dumbfuck are too busy fucking over Star Wars, to the point they couldn't even spend more time on one of the biggest TV shows of all time. I doubt they'd stoop to video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Point 1. The True Enemy is NOT Death

The True Enemy is mentioned by both the Void in the prequel Sylvanas comic and N'Zoth in 8.1.5. Pay special attention to how N'Zoth describes the True Enemy:

Initial observation: N'Zoth seems to describe the struggle between the 6 cosmic forces in his first quote and then implies in the second quote that the Light teamed up with another cosmic force to achieve victory. This cosmic force is widely speculated to be Death due to the Void describing Sylvanas as a "servant of the True Enemy" in the prequel comic and Sylvanas is most closely affiliated with Death. This observation is, in my opinion, not entirely correct.

Revised observation: N'Zoth says in the first quote that one cosmic force will consume all others. This means, technically, that all of them are the "enemies of all" from each of their points of view. Describing Death as the "enemy of all" is wholly superfluous since all of the other cosmic forces have as good of a chance to win and consume all other forces as Death.

Alternative observation: none of the cosmic forces see each other as enemies in the conventional sense. This is supported by Xal'atath describing the Naaru as "beloved brethren". In essence, all of them are sitting at the high table and playing a "friendly" game of cosmic conquest. From this point of view, the True Enemy would have to be an external, 7th force that threatens their game.

Moreover, the connection between Sylvanas and Death is sketchy at best. She is more of a victim of Death than an agent of Death. And neither artificial Lords of Death like the Lich King nor naturally occurring Lords of Death like Bwonsamdi (and his mysterious boss) support her actions.

Conclusion: the True Enemy is not Death but something else entirely.

Point 2. The True Enemy is "Infinite"

By "Infinite" I mean a theoretical being that came into contact with both Nozdormu and Kairoz and planted the idea of the Infinite Dragonflight.
    Let's assume for a minute that Sylvanas serves the Infinite Dragonflight and try to see if all of the puzzle pieces fit together.

First of all, Sylvanas is an entirely egoistical character and has only one driving motive: avoid eternal damnation in Uberhell. She tried to avoid it by using the Forsaken as her bulwark and getting extra lives from the Val'kyr. But it has been shown time and time again that this is futile. The Forsaken will eventually die out, as will her Val'kyr. So how does Sylvanas avoid Uberhell?

By not becoming undead in the first place.

If Sylvanas struck a bargain with the Infinite Dragonflight, they could have offered to off Arthas before he has the chance to kill and raise her as a banshee in return for her upholding her end of the bargain. This way Sylvanas is no longer damned to Uberhell. Plus killing Arthas would align with the Infinite Dragonflight's goals anyway as they tried to kill him during the Culling.

Secondly, Sylvanas' current actions are creating a world similar to the one we saw during the End Time. There are definitely parallels between the current Baine, Tyrande and Jaina and their End Time selves. By recreating the End Time, Sylvanas could be trying to further the Infinite Dragonflight's goals.

Finally, isn't it kind of convenient that one of Sylvanas' staunchest supporters came from AU Draenor? And isn't it convenient that Eitrigg just stumbled upon a shard of the Vision of Time to open a portal to AU Draenor? And isn't it convenient that AU Draenei became radicalized by the Light and drove the Orcs from their home?

Maybe just maybe the Light teamed up with the Infinite Dragonflight to provide Sylvanas with an army of technologically-advanced Orcs to continue her war.

More evidence:
    • Nozdormu is suspiciously absent from BfA while all other Dragon Aspects play a role in creating Dragon Soul v2
    • Compare the quotes:

• The Void in the Sylvanas prequel comic says that she seeks the "death of all possibilities". Preserving the true timeline would create an entirely deterministic universe (a.k.a. the death of all possibilities) and could be the goal of the Infinite Dragonflight (their version of the "true" timeline at least).

Tl;dr:
    1. Sylvanas was contacted by "Infinite" who offered to change the circumstances of the invasion of Quel'thalas and prevent her first death.
    2. "Infinite"'s plan is to draw N'Zoth out and sever him from the main timeline by trapping him in a pocket dimension / timeline.
    3. Sylvanas' endgame is creating a nightmarish war that'll draw N'Zoth out.
    4. The big moral lesson is that we should persist in the present instead of trying to turn back the clock. "Infinite" and Sylvanas will fail but maybe they can use time-y wobbly stuff to bring back the victim of Sylvanas' war and somewhat redeem her.
    Good theory but i dont under stand what the infinity dragonflight and the Light are trying to accomplish together, because the maghar orcs are just an army, in other words a means to an end and i dont understand how did you come to the conclusion that they want to trap nzoth in a pocket reality.

Can you explain??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    That’s means our earth exists in their universe at this moment but at what stage ?
    Probably an Old God World cause the Titans couldn't be bothered with it. It'll turn out that the Terran variant of humans exist because of the Void and that void taint isn't so bad after a couple of centuries or something and the worlds become normal again after awhile because there's no titan soul to consume/corrupt inside the planet.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Garmondil View Post
    I disagree, any of the 6 CAN DIE making Death the enemy of all. (exept Death, you cannot kill which is already dead)

"Light struck a bargain with the enemy of all " and if we go with Death being the enemy of all, we have proof of this with Calia Menethil.

Something that also comes to mind with all this Light talk is Velen's prophecy and the light infused armor/weapons and the naaru themselves on the battlefield aswell as Anduin's comic for that matter. (just something to take into consideration)
    That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

If nothing else can live then eventually even death is destined to die
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Time Travel ruins every single thing it becomes part of.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the theory buuut, it gives too much credit to blizzard writers to come up with an elaborate plot.
    The true enemy is most likely Gona be related to death

Time is the one thing that drives everything. I think it is mentioned in several places in books and also in the game, but the most emphasis on the flow of time being important was in The Last Guardian.
    If time stops flowing forward, creation is done. Also time is the one thing that can 'consume' everything. Nothing is really resistant against time, as long as time flows forward.

We've also had the tailor crafting questline with the timeweavers who have fallen to the infinite.

Umm no. The prequel comic made it very clear that Death is something the Void fears. Not necessarily because Death could destroy it, but b/c death is the enemy of everything. If Death were to win there would be nothing for the void to take over, for the light to take over, none of it.

Your entire post is a huge stretch. You're taking direct quotes but twisting them and using the "Yeah they said this, but they meant something else" excuse to fit a different narrative. You can't do that. Now if it were something wide ass open like, "something is coming, we don't know what it is"...and absolutely nothing was said to hint at what it could be...then by all means twist away and speculate to your hearts content. I'm bookmarking this to come back and say you were wrong once we find out that you were in fact, wrong.

But it was still a nice read. I just have a pretty big issue with fan fiction.
    Kthxhugsbye

I love your theory man. Hope we see this or at very least blizz takes some inspiration
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by brbshower View Post
    Umm no. The prequel comic made it very clear that Death is something the Void fears. Not necessarily because Death could destroy it, but b/c death is the enemy of everything. If Death were to win there would be nothing for the void to take over, for the light to take over, none of it.

Your entire post is a huge stretch. You're taking direct quotes but twisting them and using the "Yeah they said this, but they meant something else" excuse to fit a different narrative. You can't do that. Now if it were something wide ass open like, "something is coming, we don't know what it is"...and absolutely nothing was said to hint at what it could be...then by all means twist away and speculate to your hearts content. I'm bookmarking this to come back and say you were wrong once we find out that you were in fact, wrong.

But it was still a nice read. I just have a pretty big issue with fan fiction.
    This is a really well thoughtout theory, it could totally be true, the lore is there, the only argument against it is that is too good for blizzard's writing

10+ Year Old Account
    The Real enemy is not some force of magic or exsistential force, it's them:

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    The Real enemy is not some force of magic or exsistential force, it's them:

I can distinctively hear the circlejerking from here.

OT

It's an elaborate observation, I'll give you that, but I believe it's fundamentally pretentious. Now, ignoring the fact that with Blizzard going for the Occam's Razor's principle is always the way to go, it seems to me that N'Zoth's first quote quite evidently implies that the "enemy of all" is among the six. Yes, technically all of them could potentially devour the others but probably only one is truly capable of achieving that, as far as N'Zoth is concerned. The quote seems to support that a very particular force will truly devour the others, not that all of them have the "potential" to do so.

Regarding Sylvanas, she's so evidently related to Death that it almost hurts. More than ever Sylvanas has been widely acknowledged/accused of being Death's herald, that she fights a war against Life itself (whether she actually has that in mind or not isn't clear and isn't important, that's just how her character is treated and regarded externally). Moreover, it doesn't really matter that "Death entities" like Bwonsamdi and the Lich King don't like her, since the first has an acknowledged "boss" who may hold a very different opinion and pursue very different goals, and it's now evidently clear that the entity who influenced Vol'jin is very much Death-related and lurks in the depths of the Shadowlands.

Last but not least, while it's clear to me that all the references about the "True Enemy" all regard Death, all of these come from either N'Zoth or other Void-aligned entities. Translation: they don't represent the absolute truth, in fact it may just be one of their many "truths" that end up being utter bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

I hope Sylvanas and the Infinite Dragonflight take us back to the time when Quel'thalas was whole, just so we can help Arthas preserve the true timeline and steamroll the elves yet again.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    I hope Sylvanas and the Infinite Dragonflight take us back to the time when Quel'thalas was whole, just so we can help Arthas preserve the true timeline and steamroll the elves yet again.
    But this time we warn him about not ressing the emo girl
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.