10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    True, unfortunately. Whatever the story reason is behind whatever Sylvanas does, we know it will come down to game mechanics and design as to what we get as a result of this. And as it's extremely unlikely that we'll get another couple of factions with players thus getting split further, there are only so many ways this can go.

This of course means that as Zandalari characters are playable now, the Zandalari will wind up going with whatever sort of peace the Horde and Alliance have at the end, whether or not it makes any sense for them culturally.
    That was obvious, the factions are going to not be massively changed IMO. There might be small indications where the story goes or....a big distraction comes up and tensions won't matter.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Gameplay > story, always. That's what they've always believed: it's just a more awkward slap in the fact now than usual, especially when theres a very vocal fanbase thats more interested in the story than the gameplay these days.
    Agreed. But there's no reason you can't have both. A simple visit from Rastakhan to ease Talanji's heart or perhaps guidance from Vol'jin to help her move past the anger would go a long way if added. I just hope it is actually addressed rather than wallpapered over in the interest of moving on to the next story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That was obvious, the factions are going to not be massively changed IMO. There might be small indications where the story goes or....a big distraction comes up and tensions won't matter.
    Oh, absolutely. Nor should they be, aside perhaps of some of the restrictions being loosened for Alliance/Horde players to play certain bits of content together. It's just that with this particular story, having the traditional "big distraction to hide the faction conflict" that we've had in the past will make so much of this expansion feel unusual storywise. It would feel IMO like if we had the changes to the world in Cata, then suddenly the world reverted to the old style in MoP without any acknowledgement of anything happening.

The problem is that Sylvanas's possible plan with the Zandalari(splinter the Horde into some factions that are loyal to her) goes against almighty game mechanics, unless the gameplan from Blizz is to make twice the number of factions (Horde, Sylvanas, Alliance, Night Elves) which would absolutely kill game numbers.
    Not if they simultaneously introduce cross-faction grouping. I’ve said it before, say it again, our PC can be “friends” with anyone, but still have a loyalty to their political entity, Horde, Alliance, Forsaken Horde and Night Elf Allaince.

Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    Not if they simultaneously introduce cross-faction grouping. I’ve said it before, say it again, our PC can be “friends” with anyone, but still have a loyalty to their political entity, Horde, Alliance, Forsaken Horde and Night Elf Allaince.
    Splitting the factions further instead of reducing them will kill this game harder than WoD.

The problem is that Sylvanas's possible plan with the Zandalari(splinter the Horde into some factions that are loyal to her) goes against almighty game mechanics, unless the gameplan from Blizz is to make twice the number of factions (Horde, Sylvanas, Alliance, Night Elves) which would absolutely kill game numbers.
    While status quo is God, one can dance around it. Like the blood elves considering defection to the Alliance in MoP. Didn't happen because of reasons, but even the hint of it is an interesting lore development. It reveals or reinforces some things about the parties involved. For instance, the blood elves are in the Horde because of pragmatism and not some innate love for it or its peoples.

In this case, it's obvious the Zandalari wouldn't leave the Horde. But you can still tell a story in which they almost do so, siding with Sylvanas, only to stop at the last moment. There's still a lot to show there, even if the status quo is kept in the end.

Particularly, I'd love to see stories in which the factions fracture in subfactions, even if the gameplay doesn't change. Intrafaction conflict would be resolved at some point and status quo would return, but in the interim you can tell some interesting stories.
    Whatever...

10+ Year Old Account
    Status Quo is more likely but Tyrande may eventually not be an Alliance member eventually(Not kicked out just she goes on her own journey cause vengeance and all that).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Splitting the factions further instead of reducing them will kill this game harder than WoD.
    I don’t think you got what I was saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    I don’t think you got what I was saying...
    No, I did. I'm all for the factions to splinter, BUT if it meant that your player has to choose a side out of four (splitting the playerbase into four chunks) instead of none of sides mattering (unifying the playerbase) it would deal a heavy blow I don't know if wow can take right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I did. I'm all for the factions to splinter, BUT if it meant that your player has to choose a side out of four (splitting the playerbase into four chunks) instead of none of sides mattering (unifying the playerbase) it would deal a heavy blow I don't know if wow can take right now.
    Agreed. Even if you can play cross faction, the whole splintering of the factions would in itself create a feeling of separation from who you are as a character. A Night Elf who has been loyal to Stormwind since 2004 is going to feel not right about Stormwind suddenly being a non-faction city, even if they can visit freely and group with Humans from Stormwind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Obviously not against the Alliance. The story strongly appears to run towards at least a ceasefire, if not lasting peace. With Sylvanas out of the picture, for whatever reason, Calia would be a calming factor for the former citizens of Lordaeron, and if not their outright leader, then at least a kind of ambassador and advisor.
    And sorry, that would be pure garbage

Horde x alliance is a thing to always stay, i don't mind heroes and some factions doing cease fire, but this is too much, and too much retarded

I always wanted her or any other lordaeron citizen being an actual undead leading after sylvanas, it would be poetic, but this shit is nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And sorry, that would be pure garbage

Horde x alliance is a thing to always stay
    Because keeping a senseless conflict that blizzard obviously can't write is a so much better idea!

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Because keeping a senseless conflict that blizzard obviously can't write is a so much better idea!
    They haven't actually written a Faction War, we were SOLD that- it always ends up being fucking over a scapegoat/unification (read Warchief). Trying to handwave character motivations to bring ''peace'' is not any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind going back to a Cold war esque(Like vanilla). Not faction splintering.

Warrior-Magi

5+ Year Old Account
    It kinda is cause there is no conflict Blizzard actually CAN write. But you know, the story has to go forward

Agreed. Even if you can play cross faction, the whole splintering of the factions would in itself create a feeling of separation from who you are as a character. A Night Elf who has been loyal to Stormwind since 2004 is going to feel not right about Stormwind suddenly being a non-faction city, even if they can visit freely and group with Humans from Stormwind.
    My Tauren Druid felt ‘not right’ and splintered from my own faction since Orc Hitler. Whatever identity the Horde had has been shattered, remade, burned down (literally) and just generally screwed with multiple times by now.

Dwarves shouldn’t be chilling in Org, but the player character has gone along with opposing factions of all sorts for a common goal for so long that not allowing the player to party with friends of the opposite faction in PvE makes no sense at this point.

If you want to keep the faction spirit alive, fly a red or blue flag, and kill every red name you see, cool. The choice (should) still be there. Let the rest of us move on from this dead horse that’s shackling the story down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    My Tauren Druid felt ‘not right’ and splintered from my own faction since Orc Hitler. Whatever identity the Horde had has been shattered, remade, burned down (literally) and just generally screwed with multiple times by now.

Dwarves shouldn’t be chilling in Org, but the player character has gone along with opposing factions of all sorts for a common goal for so long that not allowing the player to party with friends of the opposite faction in PvE makes no sense at this point.

If you want to keep the faction spirit alive, fly a red or blue flag, and kill every red name you see, cool. The choice (should) still be there. Let the rest of us move on from this dead horse that’s shackling the story down.
    Horde went through stuff doesn't mean Alliance has to suffer through it. Just don't try the Dictator warchief thing ever again. Factions should stay, I don't mind working with the opposite faction provided queues don't get so weird where you mostly work with the opposite faction most of the time.

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post

My post was in response to someone who wanted to go to a four-faction setup, which I disagree with. I'm good with a unifaction setup or at least one where everyone can play with everyone regardless of race.

The difference I see there for those wondering is in once welcome places becoming unwelcome vs. unwelcome places becoming welcoming. Much like your Tauren Druid, it's not fun when your faction basically abandons you and you feel hurt by the story...that's largely how I as a Night Elf would feel with Stormwind becoming an unfriendly city.

I'm personally not entirely sure I even want the factions anymore. Maybe so we have something for PvP and a slight difference in storylines for leveling content, but otherwise they feel more like a remnant of an already overtold story than a fountain for new storylines to grow.

5+ Year Old Account
    So probably something this wednesday???? or tonight? oh men i cant wait, fricking Pantheon VU its not helping my desire for the Goblin Heritage

My post was in response to someone who wanted to go to a four-faction setup, which I disagree with. I'm good with a unifaction setup or at least one where everyone can play with everyone regardless of race.

The difference I see there for those wondering is in once welcome places becoming unwelcome vs. unwelcome places becoming welcoming. Much like your Tauren Druid, it's not fun when your faction basically abandons you and you feel hurt by the story...that's largely how I as a Night Elf would feel with Stormwind becoming an unfriendly city.

I'm personally not entirely sure I even want the factions anymore. Maybe so we have something for PvP and a slight difference in storylines for leveling content, but otherwise they feel more like a remnant of an already overtold story than a fountain for new storylines to grow.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. IMO things should stay as they are with 2 exceptions: 1. People can cross-faction party. 2. The story acknowledges that in a non awkward or non shoehorned way. (Given Blizzard’s storytelling track record I have no hopes for this part but you know, more of the usual. The storytelling has been ehh since Wrath ended and even BC had a lot of fans up in arms.)

'Party Sync' is their way of justifying an old world revamp. It's end game content if we scale it, right?