The worst part about FFXIV bloat is how little of it is not about damage. Crowd control is one button and it's single target and on long CD, there are no cool movement utility options like Demonic Gateway or Wind Rush Totem. For how often it's spammed that WoW is not RPG anymore, FFXIV has even less flavourful non-combat abilities like water walking, Ritual of Summoning or even hunter tracking. But we sure as hell need 3 buttons for AoE combo and tons of buttons that are pressed once every 30-60s.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Your ability to play it with the number of buttons you have available doesn't mean it's not bloated.

Not exactly a 1-to-1 comparison, but knowing how to make a machine work despite having broken parts doesn't mean the machine doesn't have broken parts and that it shouldn't be fixed.

The question is whether the jobs NEED that many buttons/ abilities in order to do the job. And the answer is no, if WoW can be used as an example. Both games have DPS jobs (obviously), but many of the ones in WoW have maybe 5 core abilities with some extra ones for flavor, so lets say 10 (which is a big exaggeration for most jobs).

That's about half as many abilities as most jobs in FFXIV.

That said, I think WoW has too few, and FFXIV has too many, but FFXIV is getting closer to what I would consider the ideal than WoW is.
    IDK, black mage is one of the few jobs I feel has too many abilities, most of them have just the right amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've all gotten better overall in Shadowbringers with the removal of those weird one off abilities that you only used to maintain a buff, but other than those four though, yeah I agree, DPS jobs are pretty convoluted.

Fuck Black Mage though.
    Only DPS I've seen @ 80 is the SMN. Whackamole galore. Dear lord buttons for the sake of buttons.
    Really digging the 3 phase summons though.

Dancer is at 75 right now and feels positively braindead by comparison. Though kitty dancing is so cute. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    The worst part about FFXIV bloat is how little of it is not about damage. Crowd control is one button and it's single target and on long CD, there are no cool movement utility options like Demonic Gateway or Wind Rush Totem. For how often it's spammed that WoW is not RPG anymore, FFXIV has even less flavourful non-combat abilities like water walking, Ritual of Summoning or even hunter tracking. But we sure as hell need 3 buttons for AoE combo and tons of buttons that are pressed once every 30-60s.
    Those 3 abilities for aoe combo and 30-60s cd abilities are far more important to me then CC or other flavor abilities so... /shrug, i wan my fights to be fun to play not some random niche thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Only DPS I've seen @ 80 is the SMN. Whackamole galore. Dear lord buttons for the sake of buttons.

Dancer is at 75 right now and feels positively braindead by comparison. Though kitty dancing is so cute. :3
    Every one of those buttons serves a purpose though, none of the buttons are just there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's my issue with most jobs. There are so many buttons to do so little. And it's not like those buttons are making you think a lot, they're just there to be there.

Combos are an obvious one. Three buttons to do essentially just your filler. Another set of three for most melee just to apply a buff or DoT. You spend all your globals just doing your basics and there's not much room for anything else. Wanna put up your DoT as a Paladin? Get back to me 7.5 seconds from now.

RDM has a ton of buttons that are duplicates of each other, or slightly buffed copies of others. Just so that Dualcast and Balance Gauge have a reason to exist.

There's a lot of examples of it, and it's frustrating on some jobs, but oh well.
    I love combos, it's something that adds depth, screw up a combo and you lose DPS or a proc, or your dot falls off. Don't play around movement as a paladin and you lose Goring blade. Don't use your procs properly as a RDM and your dps suffers immensely.

Honestly BLM is the only one that I can think off that could use a few abilities removed, Scathe and Blizzard 2 barely see any use, in the case of blizz2 you're better off never putting it on your bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Every one of those buttons serves a purpose though, none of the buttons are just there.
    I don't know man, I really don't need to do basic pet attacks myself. They could have left the auto option in there.

I don't know man, I really don't need to do basic pet attacks myself. They could have left the auto option in there.
    Those are there to allow you plan out when you need Ruin IVs for movement or other reasons. Besides, you basically macro'd your pet attacks back in the day anyway if you had a modicum of care, pets on sic wasn't the way to go.

Finished 3.55 last night. Thoughts on Heavensward.

Spoiler: 

HW 3.0
    Spoiler: 

Yay it seems they kept Haurchefant's voice actor.

The narrator is getting me hyped.

It's a nice, colorful room! Too bad I can't explore the rest of the manor.

Ooo Emmanellain. We're gonna be best of buds.

One quest chain at a time. I'm going with Emmanellain to the Sea of Clouds.

Nice Jazz music.

Just completed my first side quest, my XP bar on a level 50 Red Mage barely moved...

As of 7/13/2019, my WHM is 60, my Samurai is 53, and my Dragoon is 52. Assuming that the MSQ levels a character all the way from 50 to 60, I can afford to level another DPS job for a while before I have to commit to leveling one of them. I like how the Red Mage zips in and out of combat, but it's painful to spend a couple seconds casting with two more seconds to go and then have to interrupt that cast to step out of a two second AoE. It's also frustrating because I do not have a heal at this time.

Ah, looks like he's so useless we're going to have to reassign him to antartica.

"We made peaceful contact with the Vanu Vanu and even managed to trade with them for several months. Then they inexplicably began attacking us. Rather than leaving the door open for a peaceful settlement, you are to simply massacre any Vanu Vanu you see on sight. No shouting "we come in peace!" to see if they want to parley before drawing your sword; just kill all you see!"

Life as a soldier stationed in Camp Cloudtop is far better than being civilian in the Brume, or pretty much anywhere else in Coerthas besides being a noble in the Pillars. The sun is out and the world is vibrant, the breeze is cool, there is no threat of dragons, just some measly owl-bears who can be easily bitten back. Worst thing that can happen? Some critters picking on your food. That's a laid back life right there; I'm surprised there aren't more people signing up in the hope that they get assigned to this place.

How did Haurchefant and Cid find out that we were in trouble and arrive at the Sea of Clouds so quickly?

Wait, we've been here for days? I was under the impression we had only been here for one.

I have two complaints about the zones: they feel huge for the sake of being huge (possibly because flying was added in that expansion?). I don't have a problem with big spaces with nothing in them. Shadow of the Colossus did this well, but SotC made it's large spaces enjoyable to go through. Here, it's a lot of flat plains with tiling textures abounding. It's not pretty look at.

Why are there voidsent wandering around Coerthas in broad daylight? ???

The fate says that the Bergthurs are trying to get to their home in the void. Are they sentient? Is the void referring to one of the void shards, or just a general void dimmension, possibly like the World of Darkness?

Maybe the village buried beneath the snow at Falcon's Nest will finally be excavated once the Holy See is deposed.

Okay, I think I was doing it wrong and I'm now getting the hang of Red Mage: you want to spend 2.5 seconds casting Jolt/verstone/verfire and then use the instant dual cast on the Veraero/Verthunder. You're not supposed to stand there casting Veraero/Verthunder for four seconds.

I just slaughtered a dozen of her followers - people she's known and interacted with, ate with for months - and she's calmly talking to me?

"It was... beyond my control" lady, you CHOOSE to dismantle the barrier that prevented the dragons from attacking Ishgard. Surely you knew that the dragons would begin killing as soon as they were able.

Seriously, why is my character the Warrior of Light just standing there while the antagonists simply walk away?

Well that was a surprisingly non-lethal trial by combat. How exactly did I "win"? What, did I bruise them with the hilt of my sword or blow the wind out of their lungs with bursts of water magic till they cried uncle?

One thing I like that FFXIV and Trails of Cold Steel does is that the powers that be acknowledge the extraordinary series of adventures the hero has embarked on and his apparent invincibility. The nations are afraid of the hero's unprecedented victories and the influence he holds, and thus they try to control it. I also like how FFXIV incorporates flashbacks into the canon through the Echo.

RIP badass Merlwyb voice.

"Working in a kitchen", Higiri perhaps?

Did we kill the Braves or not? Sometimes their HP falls to zero and they drop dead, other times their HP falls to zero, they drop dead, and their alive in the cutscene. Which is it?

RIP Urianger's Gideon Emery voice. The dialogue for Urianger was tedious but the voice work was not.

Well that was an anticlimatic resolution to the hype of retaking Ul'dah.

"Drinking the Pain Away", the only heresy spoken of thus far has been showing any sort of indication of sympathizing with the Dragons. Even iconography depicting Ishgardians and Dragons at peace together is grounds for execution according to "Mum's the Word". It's pretty sad to see an entire noble family destroyed just because the lady expressed something positive about the Dragons.

Wow, Aymeric thinks really highly of us if he thinks just the Warrior of Light and the Azure Dragoon can take down Nidhogg.

I like how the sidequests are being presented. In ARR, you'd walk into a town and there'd be two dozen different sidequests around, and it'd be so overwhelming you wouldn't even bother. They felt like busywork and you just skipped through the text under the burdern of trying to get through them as fast as possible. It also bogged down the pacing, as you'd do two hours of tedious sidequests and then getting back to the plot... and then the plot would once again grind to a halt while you did the next batch of sidequests. Here, there are only one, maybe two sidequests available at a time, so it's easy, and you're subsequently inclined to actually read the quest text. Then, once you've completed that one or those two sidequests and progressed the MSQ a little, another sidequest will pop up at town. And then when you come back later down the MSQ, there's another sidequest. Same amount of work but it's distributed over a longer period of time, the pacing flows MUCH better and my experience is all around more enjoyable.

Heavensward also justifies me taking on so many responsibilities quite well: Ishgard has been losing the war of attrition and simply does not have the manpower. They've been constantly forced to slowly withdraw from their territories for years as they do not have the numbers to hold them. Thus, their soldiers have to pull double duty and it makes sense for me to take up tasks that otherwise should have been taken up by the government.

Oh no, hopefully it wasn't the meat I brought back that was tainted...

Props for this sidequest actually being apart of a storyline that came back into focus.

"Too bad! It's made of Dragon venom! There is no antidote! They're all going to die!" Well screw you too!

Holy crap, those cannons that launch javelins are HUGE! Those are Vishap killers, and there are tons of them around Ishgard. How many Vishap sized Dragons are were facing here?

I wonder if the people who lived in Gorganes Mills are still alive.

I prefer dungeons like the Gorganes Mills. They feel like real places, not video game dungeons like Halatali.

What are these Convictors going to do when a dragon comes along and spews fire from the sky while they're stuck on the ground with no cannons or dragoons?

Let me guess: Dominiac is going to get in over his head and keep killing dragons until he runs into one too big for him too kill, and then I'll have to bring back his body.

Wait, the Dragons enslave other races? "Dravanians" aren't the same as "Dragons"? Is it mind control slavery akin to tempering, or simply a hierarchy? I was under the impression that it was the latter.

This whole dragon slaying questchain - going out of our way to kill dragons - is at odds with the MSQ narrative of trying to broker a peace between Ishgard and the Dragons. We told Aymeric to try to keep the knights from sallying out on the offensive because we wanted to show our sincerity, and yet here I am helping these folks out trying to pick a fight because no dragons are coming to them. What if a dragon spies me helping these folks out to kill them and then tells Iceheart? And then I came to Iceheart not a few hours later saying "oh please, we mean you no harm, we want peace!".

It'd be cool if Saintrelmaux could actually fight with me in battle against the Dragons, rather than it only being said to have happened in the quest text.

That was a neat questline

Ugh, the sidequest pacing before was well done but now this is starting to drag on. Don't send me out to collect more yak hides.

For the third time, STOP playing the pronoun game and TELL US THE TRUTH

Hraesvelgr has a beautiful design. Props to who have designed him and the 3D modeler.

Finally, a definitive answer in game: Aldenard is the name of the continent. That makes Eorzea a subregion, possibly the peninsula?

Why is Davy Jone's theme playing in the Dravanian Forelands?

No, the foilage isn't dense enough to cover anyone on the ground from aerial attack.

Anyx Trine is far, far too large for any humans to have inhabited. Was it built by giants or Gigas? But talking to Gullinkambi suggests that it was inhabited by humans.

Ah, it must've been made huge by humans for the dragons to fit in.

Why is there a dead dragon here?

Just did Dusk Vigil, and the Griffin at the end evaporated into a puff of purple smoke. Why do monsters evaporate into a buff of purple smoke, and people don't? Is it just a game mechanic thing? Or do monsters liquify into aether immediately upon death? How are their body parts left behind for use as ingredients if they evaporate into aether? Are Dragons considered people, and therefore don't evaporate into aether? But the fallen Chocobo also didn't evaporate, nor did the corpses of the monsters Godbert slew... guess it's just a game mechanic thing.

And that unlocked flying around Coerthas in my Regalia. Sure beats having to waiting a year after an expansion is out and grinding faction rep through world quests to unlock flying.

Let me guess; the new hunter is out for mommy Chocobos and their eggs.

Ohhh... he's one of those guys...

He did not...

He did!

Well he's on his way to being blacklisted from Tailfeather.

Nice!

Oh, come on man!

If they're lilies in memory of his dead wife than I'm more inclined to think that this plan will backfire.

Lady, he said he doesn't want your help. Move on.

Honestly, even if there are no other suitable hunters in town to team up with, Q'yantaa would do just fine on her own.

The water textures are pretty bad. Even the water in the Black Shroud looks better.

But how did his last partner die?

Well that a happy ending

My favorite jobs are White Mage (level 60), Dragoon (53), Samurai (53), and Red Mage (53). Those three DPS classes feel fun with the mobility and the combos. It's a shame that I can't level them all at once, as even when completing an entire zone's MSQ quests and doing ALL OF THE SIDEQUESTS IN A ZONE WITH MY 30% EXP EARINGS ON, it's barely enough to advance a single job by one level. I easily leveled my White Mage to 60 by by getting instant roulette queues, and even though it doesn't have a fancy rotation or mechanic (I haven't done the Heavensward quests for the Lily gauge yet), the intrinsic gameplay of bouncing back and forth between damaging the enemy and healing my allies is fun. The DPS classes aren't so lucky with roulette queues, so I have to level them out in the world, which is difficult. I'm fine with leaving Dragoon behind, but it's hard to pick between Samurai and Red Mage. They both feel great; Samurai allows me to pick between three different combos for different benefits, use my combo points at will for different effects depending on how many combo points I have, and they have cool animations. I also love how Red Mage is able zip in and out of melee range, but the melee range doesn't last long enough for me. Supposedly, it gets a little longer later and gets a heal. Hm...

That's the plan! Simple, but brilliant!

Oh wait, a bunch of new sidequests popped up. More exp is nice, but I was just getting into the mode for an exciting infiltration...

I'm actually down for killing members of the Onemind. If they have shared a 100% telepathic link with each other for all of their lies, then it's probably that they have become of one consciousness or more specifically, they all act with the same motives and intentions for each member. There is no more individuality left within them. They would be like the Borg. Each and every single one of them would be sharing the same exact thought of killing or sacrificing the outsiders.

The Amal'jaa didn't strip me of my weapons either when I was betrayed and captured.

He looks like he walked out of Warframe.

Primals require two things to be summoned: aether to materialize a form and the prayers or beliefs of people to imbue that form with will. Sure, there are crystals in the room but where did the prayers come from to allow Ysalye to incarnate as a Primal?

Cool fight

The Dravanian Forelands just isn't very well designed when it comes to convience; there are places right next to each other but you have to go way, way out of your way to get to them. It's very inconvinent.

It'd be cool to check in on Nameless One as he adventures across Eorzea, exploring the world and seeing how the people react to him. That said, I honestly forgot that there was an adventurer's guild. They only appeared in a handful of quests across the entire ARR MSQ, and I myself haven't been taking any jobs from them, just being an independent contractor.

There's a lot of padding in the sidequests. Saintrelmaux, Q'yantaa, and Nameless One questlines are great but most of the rest could be cut.

I like how the aetheryte of Anyx Trine is shaped like a dragon tooth.

Kal Myhk is cute!

Interesting; a whelping dragon the size of a Lalafell can be thirty years old. I wonder how long it takes for them to grow up to be a decently sized, mature dragon.

Oh... well then your brother is dead. I passed by his body hours ago.

Nvm, different body. Then how did the other guy die? Why are they both here?

Ah, the place is called "Mourn, the final resting place for dragons".

I did not expect the Vath to start an adventuring guild!

Whew, I finally completed all quests in Dravanian Forelands. Only took seven or eight hours. Maybe only a third of those quests were interesting.

They're trying to tell a JRPG about the party of the Warrior of Light, Alphinaud, Ysalye, and Estinen going on a journey, delving into dungeons and what not, but due to the limitations of this being a MMO, you can't really see this. The characters teleport between points and rather than dungeoning with them, you instead dungeon with three other players... and then the story characters reappear after you kill the boss, with them apparently having fought side by side with you in lore (but you didn't see it...).

Just how many Moogles are there in Moghome?

I can fly the Kongamato mount around to complete the dailiy quest? Cool!

I'm picking hornbloom flowers in a ruined village. Who lived here? People before the war with the dragons?

"My steadfast serv-" haha

Haha it was the Company of Heroes twist all over again: you're sent to seemingly meaningless tasks that turn out to be what was required to progress in the end anyway.

These Hropkens have the distinctive, pulsating, aqua colored energy lines on their bodies associated with Allagan tech. But why? I don't see any Allagan ruins nearby. How did they get here?

What is this sticky stuff, infestation from Warframe?

This is the laziest quest text I've seen.

"Literally murder dragons - who we acknowledge as sentient beings - because they're accidentally trampling our gardens".

"I am Shiva reborn!" haha, no girl, you just doomed our negotiations.

"The tale of thy kind is one of avarice, treachery, and death... and thou wouldst speak to me of peace?" Yeah, because 13 traitors aren't representative of a whole community, much less the people living a thousand year later.

Estinen, dragons have no reason to lie, and any lies would be revealed through the power of the Echo.

If the betrayl happened 1000 or 750 years ago, you'd think that a higher proportion of Dragonkind would have grown up after the betrayl and wouldn't have the same hatred towards Ishgard that the older generation has. You'd think that there would be a higher proportion of Dragonkind chilling out in Dravania, but it seems like they are in the minority and that the vast majority of Dragons are out to kill humans.

Does "traitors" refer to the heretics who join the dragons? So the decendants of the 12 knights and Thordan who ate Ratatoskr's eyes have an impulse/desire with them to join the dragons? Or is he just talking about the descendants of the 13 in general who can awaken dragon powers by drinking dragon blood. That'd explain how the Heaven's Ward knight who talked to the Archbishop magically transformed into a hellish armor.

Ah, okay, the Heaven's Ward knight transformation is a different thing. So by now, pretty much all of the people of Ishgard have the blood magic gene that can allow them to turn into dragons. Without wings. So far, none of the heretics who transformed grew wings. That's a poor deal.

Wait, so some heretics who transformed from dragons are indistugishable from naturally born dragons? So heretics who transform and still walk bipdeal without wings simply haven't matured yet? Anyway, this is some Attack on Titan levels of disturbing: mankind has been at war with a monstrous foe who turns out to be... just humans.

Looking for a lady's lost cat sidequest. We've gone fullblown Kiseki bois.

Why doesn't the series delve into the idea of domesticating monsters more? What about the obvious manipulation of the adventurer's guild, by breeding monsters and then releasing them into the wild near towns so that monster bounties will be posted?

Biggs sounds like Colm Meaney.

Will take a while to get used to Cid's new voice.

"A General Summons" haha

I can't take Loloritto's voice seriously.

With aerial superiority, Garlemald should easily be able to conquer Eorzea. They can simply load up their army on airships, fly over to the city states unimpeded and invade in the middle of town. If they deem Eorzeans too difficult to defeat on the ground due to their ability to wield aether, Garlemald need only bomb enemy cities and installations to ash. It isn't hard folks. Only reason why it failed the first time was due to deus ex super dragon.

Why disband the Braves? The traitors have been weeded and out Alphinaud now knows what to avoid. They're still incredibly valuable! Disbanding them would only be a net loss.

Why didn't they use the awesome Nidhogg eye effect from the level 50 Dragoon quest?

[img=https://i.imgur.com/yrfUEyJ.jpg]

AWESOME!

So if I understand this correctly: Estinen consumed Nidhogg's eye, turning his armor red, and then gouged out Nidhogg's other eye?

Why does Haldrath carry two of Nidhogg's eyes? That'd mean that Nidhogg had none. Did Nidhogg reclaim one of the eyes? Why was the eye Estinen took yellow? Unless Estinen's consumption of the eye he had in his possesion didn't destroy the eye, but drained it of it's power and turned it yellow, and Estinen didn't take Nidhogg's other eye but straight up destroyed it? Or was that Hraesvelgr's eye? Hraesvelgr was missing an eye, so maybe he gave his to Nidhogg? Which would once again mean that Haldrath really did take both eyes but one of them was lost.

Haldrath seems to be a righteous man. He didn't start the war (his father did) but he had to carry it on to protect Ishgard, and became the first Dragoon.

Seems like this guy was the one who founded the Forgotten Knight.

I like how FFXIV explores the history of how the four great houses of the kingdom came to be, rather than just saying "there's four really big and powerful houses that are big and powerful for... some reason".

Ah, so Hraesvelgr must've given his eye to Nidhogg. Estinen didn't consume the eye, but his dragoon armor absorbed the blood of Nidhogg.

Even Estinen suspects it.

Huh, Midgardsomr didn't show up for any of this. Not to lament his son Nidhogg's death or during our two conversations with Hraesvelgr.

Why am I keeping the Manacutter? Isn't it supposed to be returned to Cid once we've killed Nidhogg?

I like how you can see the mountains popping up out of the clouds.

Seamless blending between the clouds cover the floor of the zone and the clouds in the background skybox.

(Vault ending cutscene) I think this is the first time my character's facial expressions has been keyanimated for a cutscene to this level before.

Dramatic character death with somber music
    exit cutscene
    happy pillars music
    enter Fortemps manner
    dramatic scene with somber music
    exit cutscene
    happy pillars music
    It's jarring.

But again, like Ysalye, where are the Heaven's Ward knights getting the aether to transform? They aren't carrying crystals with them, and they can't all hold the eye.

That's the most unusual aetheryte shape I've ever seen.

How did Bismarck wind up eating the key, and how do the Vanu and the Imperials know that?

Perhaps the Vundu tribe had a variation on the legend in which Bismarck was aggressive.

Geez, how do you fail EIGHT TIMES?

Good Lord, stealing from the Elder's vegetable garden and the presenting said vegetables to the Elder as an offering for the trial...

So Gunu Vanu wants me to murder another guy for his mount. Sigh.

When the Ascian and the Archbishop beamed onto the island, why didn't Cid and co notice all of the commotion in the back?

HOLY CRAP, he's here in the flesh?

Oooo, we're going to build a new Gundu village?

That is a tiny island.

Y'shotla's thigh stockings don't mesh well with the rest of her outfit.

Gosh, the goblin Illuminati look and act like the Grox from Spore!

If Illuminati are in the area than it would be best for Brayflox to travel back with our protection rather than running off on his own.

What do you mean, you want to fix Idyllshire up? It looks like a bustling town with nice buildings been used to me.

I'm doing all the quests I can on a single job - with the 30% EXP earrings on - and it's still not enough to meet the level requirements for the Matoya's Cave.

I've never seen so many books before.

That demon book was a troll boss fight, wish unique fights like that were more common.

Nice jazz dungeon music.

Interesting. There isn't just an elemental wheel where one element is weak to another (ie, water exintiguishes fire, fire melts ice, etc), but there is also an elemental wheel where elements create other elements (lighting creates fire, fire creates earth, earth creates ice).

And it seems that there is a small triangle within the wheel. I wonder; if earth, water, and lighting are apart of an elemental trainge, are the other three elements of fire, ice, and wind apart of a triangle as well? I'm not sure how I'd rationalize it. Fire could melt ice and wind could carve ice, which would result in water... which is apart of the other triangle. IDK.

Alphinaud will exceed her expectations.

A thought about the logistics of travel in a world where every Eorzean can travel to any Aetheryte they've attuned to. A small portion of the taxpayer dollars/gil of the city-states would go to establishing a weekly class that would instruct people on how to attune to aetherytes and how to travel to them, and a bus/airship serivce that would shuttle people around to the aethrytes of the land so that they may attune to them. So would drastically improve the quality of life in that area, as 1. people wouldn't have to risk their lives traveling through monster lands from place to place, 2. the military wouldn't have to expend as many resources patroling those routes (escorting cargo could be left to contractors), and 3. it'd allow the military to rapidly defend the country. Attuning to every aethryte in the land should be a requirement for the militaries. If, say, Quarrymill was attacked, a Wood Wailer there need only use his link pearl to call headquarters, say "60 Ixal are attacking Quarrymill!", and then headquarters would use their link pearl to call a company of their soldiers, saying "Quarrymill is under attack by Ixal", and then that company would simply portal to the Quarrymill Aethryte. Help could arrive within as little as fifteen seconds of the Wood Wailer's call. With near instantaneous response times, there shouldn't really be a reason as to why the Grand Companies "are stretched thin", as they need only hold a token force at each city that who could summon as many men as required.

The environment artists did a great job making the canyon beneath Idyllshire look vast.

The Enterprise being succeeded by the Excelsior... nice Star Trek nod.

Why is the game playing ancient Dravanian-Coerthan bagpipe music in Helix, an advanced Allagan airship landing?

*Sigh*, another barren rock landscape as the final zone.

But I didn't get to read the conditions first!

Is the Guidance Node interfaced with the rest of the facility? Can't I just ask it where the Archbishop is and to take me to him?

Poor Wedge

A testament to the engineering capabilities of long dead, advanced civilizations in fiction which brought about their own demise.

Three stars out of... ???

These "Lamia" and "Reptoids" wandering about with bows and arrows and swords (presumably made by them) seem to be sentient. They are people. Why not let them down to the surface and give them a chance to live free of this hellish place?

Did the Allagans create the Chimeras? That means that the Chimeras we see on the ground in Eorzea weren't native species, but creations that escapes Allagan facilities in the wake of the collapse/5th Umbral Calamity? Makes sense. They're the only creatures in the game thus far that seem like a hodgepodge of different creatures, aside from maybe the bipdeal dragonmen that Ishgardians can transform into when they consume blood. It also makes sense that we've only seen Chimeras on the surface, as thus far they seem to be the only creatures here that can fly. However, given the trees hanging about, you'd think that the Lamia and the Reptoids would've at least tried the Good King Mog rope plan of escape.

Hydrus commands an entire legion of troops... and he only deploys twenty guys to the facility full of traps, monsters, and occupied by superpowerful Eorzeans?

Regula van Hydrus has a great voice. Really makes him feel more down to earth compared to all of the other Garlean characters so far.

Oh, now Midgardsomr shows up to talk to us about the cruelty of mankind five thousand years ago but not when I struck down his son?

Yes yes, "mankind is corrupt, greedy, and evil and you should feel guilty", yadda yadda yadda, thank you very much for your wisdom Midgardsormr. So far, your dragons have been shown to be just as a capable of the same evils as us.

Why would Midgardsormr need reins? Couldn't I just point in a direction or tell him where to go?

Ooo, are they going to fusion dance? Two for the price of one!

Noooo they escaped before I could whip out the Auracite and kill the both of them.

(While waiting for my queue for Thordan to pop, I decided to do the next stage of the Vath reputation questline).

Shoveling rocks is bad? Could be worse. Like digging through poop in WoW.

No, adventuring is about helping people by filling in miscellaneous tasks to raise the standard of living, and building up a network of communities.

Deftarm, you can't do everything by yourself. You need to GROUP UP for the tasks too bif for one person!

I wish there were more situations in the game where you interacted with the world like this. The world feels more tangible when your character literally carries an object, rather than just bending over for five seconds and then the UI says that an item has appeared in your inventory. Such quests made WoW and GW2 feel more tactile and I wish FFXIV would do it more often.

(Thordan queue popped)

Estinen nooooo

So I guess Nidhogg really did die with Hraesvelgr's eye - the last 50% of his vitality - removed, but his spirit lingered with both of his eyes in tact, and since each eye is half of his vitality, when they came together there was 100% of Nidhogg's vitality concentrated in one place, allowing himself to rematerialze.

One nice touch I like is how the six stars that make up the Dragonstar constellation change colors as the story progresses. It's a neat incorporation of the story into the environment.

Aymeric is my favorite GC leader and I would prefer him as leader of Ishgard, but the story seems to have skimmed over the obvious: why is he Ishgard's leader now? With the Bishop overthrown, the power of the clergy would be severely weakened. The nobles would jump on the chance to install their own leader. Furthermore, with Aymeric being the son of the Archbishop, he'd have a uphill battle as his opponents would use that connection to discredit him. The narrative seems to just skip addressing this questions to "well, he's the leader of Ishgard signing the treaty".

Awww no Ishgard GC to switch over to? . Hopefully it'll come with the Ishgard housing patch.

Final thoughts

Given how utterly HYPE the Heavensward cinematic was, the actual deal was... not what I was expecting. No epic retaking of Ul'dah or grand defense of Ishgard; instead it turns out that Ul'dah never needed to be saved and everything anti-climatically wraps up in half an hour and then forgotten about. I guess Nidhogg attacks Ishgard later but there wasn't much actual saving the city itself. Still, 3.0 was pretty fun. The storytelling still suffers from a lot of the same presentation problems that plagued ARR, only that here they are less noticeable because rather than spending a significant amount of time in Ul'Dah Ishgard dealing with the intricacies of managing of overpopulation, resource deprivation, and starvation on mass scale, the story pretty much just takes place out in the wilderness with a handful of NPCs teleporting from point to point. I'm beginning to suspect that one of the reasons why Stormblood is so hated is because the developers went back to trying to tell a story about large scale armies, logistical problems on a mass scale, and so on but the players see only a sliver of it ingame, shattering the illusion. The facial animation is just as wooden as before which makes it hard to get a read on what characters are thinking. Ysayle's sacrifice was... I guess it happened? I didn't really care. Didn't shed a tear for Haucherfant's death either, didn't make me hate the Heaven's Ward either but it did make me feel for the Warrior of Light. For as far as he has come, it's still not enough. He can't save everyone. Estinen has a conceptually interesting character arc but he's criminally under explored as a character. You don't get to see his past and there aren't many scenes of him chilling or reflecting. He seems to go from point A "KILL ALL DRAGONS" to "Hm..." regarding dragons in a few lines of NPC dialogue between teleportations to "okay we're no different" over the course of less than an hour of screentime. The Heaven's Ward were pretty forgettable villains. You never really knew any of them; they're just there, unlike Nidhogg who you can empathize with and has history. Nidhogg has a presence. He was always looming over the story since patch 2.3, whereas I completely forgot about the Bishop until Aymeric went "oh yeah I'm going to go talk to him". As usual, the obligatory Primals/Beast Tribes bring the story to a screeching halt whenever they're involved, ripping you away from an otherwise interesting plot to deal with the formulaic monster of the week plot (though the Vath and the Vanu Vanu have interesting reputation questlines outside of the MSQ). It's refreshing to wander around larger zones but the environment art wasn't adjusted to compensate. There are a lot of boring flat plains with naked tiling of textures, and in certain zones it is a chore to try to navigate the zone (specifically Sea of Clouds and the Dravanian Forelands).

Best characters:
    - Cid and Garlond Ironworks
    - Aymeric

Very good
    - Deftarm

Good
    - Alphinaud
    - Tataru
    - Estinen
    - Q'yantaa
    - Hraesvelgr

Fine
    - Nanamo
    - Raubahn
    - Merlwyb
    - Kan-E-Senna
    - Haucherfant
    - Hilda
    - Regula van Hydros

Everyone else is forgettable.

HW 3.1
    Spoiler: 

Where are Coultenant and Hoary Boulder?

Ah, nice to see that they got that (Aymeric's position) out of the way.

Let's see... Y'shotla, Urianger, Papalymo, Moenbryda, and now Krile... literally half of the Scions are Sharlayan scholars.

Poor Alphinaud

Wait, is the "Obsidian Carbuncle" actually a thing?

Very interesting. I'm not the singular Warrior of Light, but the latest in a long line of many. It sounds like I had at least six predecessors, if there was at least one who emerged around each Umbral Calamity. Given that Hydalen's power - and thus, the power of her servant - has declined with each Umbral Calamity, I may actually be the weakest Warrior of Light yet. Just how crazy strong were my predecessors?

He said this once during ARR as well. Is there more to Alphinaud's past?

Oh.

Stop picking on Alphy!

Why does Thancred think he'd be able to face Ravana, a primal who could temper him with at a glance?

That was cool.

I wonder what vision they saw, perhaps of when I conjured the Blade of Light to slash Lahabrea out of Thancred?

Y'shtola, the colony is right there!

Lol squirrels!

Isn't Aymeric wearing armor?

Too bad these cramped streets of wooden houses aren't in the game!

A grand total of five refugees in the square. Hilda must've been over-exaggerating. Only one house burned down, only one family displaced!

125 pound Alphinaud tackling a 200 pound guy to the ground?

Wait a minute, was it that priest from earlier who contracted the arsonists?

Ahhhh, interesting plan. Light the Brume on fire to jettison hundreds (or thousands) of people, direct them to the Vault, lock them in it and volia, you have hundreds (or thousands) of hostages, as well as untold hundreds already killed by the fires as proof of your seriousness.

Screw you!

She's going to be saved by a dragon.

Oh... is she actually going to hit the floor?

At first I thought she would be saved, then I thought she would actually hit, and then the cutscene continued on for so long I became convinced that she would be saved again.

Behold! Our pixelated gratitude!

Where is this library? How did Alisae follow Urianger here? How did Eldibus not know of her presence? Is she allowing her to be here?

On a related note, I like Eldibus. 99% of the time in anime and JRPGs, you have your obligatory secret evil organization with their glorious evil plan hidden from the audience, who showing up playing the pronoun game... and when they turn out to have been trying to save the world all along, the logic just completely falls apart. "Why didn't they try to reason with the invincible hero/meddling kids, tell them what's going on and what their plan is?". Eldibus doesn't go around laughing "muwahahaha" and playing the pronoun game; he's straight up telling Urianger what's up. You can tell there's a lot going on by how Urianger has apparently been in contact with Eldibus for months, listening to what he has to say and then cross referencing his statements to confirm the truth. If only the other Ascians weren't brain-dead stupid, like Lahabrea, Nabriales, Igeyorhm, and the Ascian who the Warriors of Darkness killed. "Wait dudes!

HW 3.2
    Spoiler: 

Data data data... I'm getting real sick of this aether investigations stuff.

What do you mean you will "infiltrate the Castrum"? The place was leveled! There's is no base left! There are no Garleans there! They were defeated! How would the Garleans be able to occupy a destroyed base that he took out? The Grand Companies wouldn't allow them to fly in personnel over Eorzean airspace and begin rebuilding.

Loving their new outfits!

"Hannish vessel", who are the Hannes? Were they traders from another continent?

Wow that was from the 1.0 Ul'dah opening, huh?

Oh, it's the other Castrum. Still doesn't make sense why it's still occupied after we cleared through it.

Welcome Ocher Boulder!

5.0 spoilers I really don't get the doubt about Hydaylen. She's been pretty candid in her pleas for the entire game and there is no indication that she is hiding anything from us. The only problem about her being a Primal is whether or not she too drains the world of aether.

Aymeric, you need to buy some aspirin!

Redwald, if you're not confident that the convictors haven't been informed, don't just stand around saying "oh well" out loud. SEND SOMEONE TO TELL THEM AND MAKE SURE THEY KNOW damn it!

The Western Highlands look beautiful at night with the juxtaposition of the white wastes and black, haggy cracks with the deep blue of the sky and the light of the stars.

It's called a "Max-Potion" but it only restores up to 24% of my max health! Scaaaam!

What, you're hosting the Grand Melee mere hours after you announced it? You can't possibly expect the other Grand Companies to mobilize their forces and march to Coerthas within a few hours!

Why didn't the patrols guarding the perimeter of the melee deal with the cyclops beforehand?

Nice, we finally get crowd shots!

Welp, looks like Hraesvelgr is going to fight Nidhogg now for killing his daughter.

What did Aymeric whisper?

Oh, she yet lived? How was her heavy body carried all the way to Anyx Trine? The only dragons larger than Vidofnir who could carry her were Vishap (dead), Hraesvelgr (didn't come), and Nidhoggr (hostile).

"Bought at a heavy price" - well I know none of the Scions, nor Aymeric, Estinen, or Hilda will die. Vidofnir isn't going to fight Nidhoggr while she recovers. Count Fortemps hasn't written the book yet. At this point, the only characters who could die would be Lucia, Emmanellian, and Artoriel.

HW 3.3
    Spoiler: 

Please stop with the "muh science" and just get to the point!

"Alphinaud is allowing his feelings for his dragoon friend to cloud his judgement" WTH are you smoking girl? That's what friends do! They give a damn!

I'm guessing Hraesvelgr will reject us but come back upon the insistence of Chief Moglin.

Wait, so Estinen actually killed Nidhogg in the Churning Mists, and the "Nidhogg" flying around isn't the real deal, but the ghost of his hatred? Is this like the Sha or Zoro-Agruga, where the beast was slain but the embodiment of their evil still lingered?

What

Why is Moglin here

Is he testing us?

What was that?

The final room of the dungeon is absolutely gorgeous, with the afternoon sun bathing the sky in gold over the sea of grey clouds jotted by black mountains, all of which fade into a brilliant white horizon with bright petals flowing up into the air.

Haha Aymeric's face at Moglin's arrival

Hold up, the knights are just stabbing their dinky little swords into a dragon's back or slash a relatively shallow wound into their breast... and then they just drop dead like that? Would you drop dead if someone drove a nail into your back or your chest? Unless it hit your heart, the answer is no. Furthermore, these dragons have DRAGON SCALES that are ridiculously hard to penetrate. How did Estinen - hurling faster than terminal velocity and empowered by both eyes of Nidhogg - fail to kill Vidofnir while these guys with their dinky little swords are killing dragons with light grazes?

Whew, that fight

Wait, don't you want your eye back?

Wait, how is Hraesvelgr able to fly after Nidhogg tore his wing off?

Wait, did the power of Hraesvelgr's eye dissipate, or is he letting me keep it?

Ah, he did get his eye back. Must've been why I was riding Midgardsormr beside him.

Don't tell me that the Warriors of Darkness are looking for Nidhogg's eyes!

HW 3.4
    Spoiler: 

Wow, Loloritto really did that?

Given how much has gone wrong over the series of my improbable adventures, I'd say there is quite a lot to regret. Thancred having been possessed right under our noses, the loss of Moenbryda, the death of Wilred due to our ignorance...

I wonder if Gilly is still at Azys Lla, or if Wedge took it.

Why on earth is Tiamat still imprisoned? What, are we just going to leave her there for eternity?

It's Francel

Don't die

That's not an Ixal! Ixal are bent over, reptilians, but this guy is a humanoid mammalian!

Hi Urianger. (Have the other Scions never seen him without his aether googles on? Well, I guess the hood also obfuscates his hair)

So the World of Darkness we visited with Graha'Tia, Nero, Una and Dogi was indeed another shard, and it's where the voidsent come from. We've been interacting with aliens the entire time.

So that's their preliminary plan: thoroughly demolish faith in the Pimals/the Twelve/Hydaylen that the world worship, and then introduce them to a new savior, who would be resurrected by the faith of a world desperate for salvation, for hope. Doesn't yet explain how the Ascians (or possibly just Eldibus. All the other Ascians only talk about rezzing Zodiark) intend to recombine Hydaylen and Zodiark back into a single being.

Let me guess: Tataru was the one who made new outfits for everyone in Shadowbringers.

Oh no... why are you wearing a leather strap on your leg, Alisae? Do you realize how much that hurts? How it digs in to the skin?

Why are you surprised Alphinaud? You were there with Cid and I when Garuda and Ifrit liquified the aether of their summoners right before the Ultima Weapon took them out.

Don't play rock music during this solemn moment!

Oh, so Zodiark-Hydaylen might've come into being out of mankind's desire for a supreme being? That's some nihilistic Idea of Evil crap. That said, it seems like the One Zodiark-Hydaylen being preceded the universe's creation, so being a "Primal" - a being conjured into existence by the will of mankind - doesn't make much sense if there were no people to summon in the first place.

I hope we see Ga Bu again, but considering Laurence never came back for Heavensward, I doubt it.

Why didn't we tell Gundobald about Wilred?

Ah, I do remember him. He was an Ala Mhigan refugee who was sick and the Wood Wailers refused to help him, so I went out and procured the ingredients.

Alright, so I think I understand it. In FFXIV, everything in the universe is made up aether. All matter, energy... even souls, all of it is aether. When a being dies, be it an animal or a person, their soul liquifies into aether and rejoins the Lifestream of aether on that world, where it can be used power for a magitek device... and eventually that aether reincarnates as the soul of a new being, and the cycle begin anew. However, if one were to possess a Crystal of Light or a Crystal of Darkness (which contains an extremely high concentration of aether), the Crystal's power will rematerialize their body before their soul returns to the Lifestream and liquifies, enabling resurrection. This method can also be used to travel between worlds by simply redirecting where the person will rematerialize at. The only way to prevent this rematerilization is through the use of auracite, a jewel with very little trace ammounts of aether, and which draws the surrounding aether into itself in a form of equilibrium.

In the beginning, there was only one singular god, and only one world. Somehow, for some reason, this singular being was split into two: Hydaylen, and Zodiark, and consequently split the once singular world into two: the world of Hydaylen (what we would call the Earth) and the world of Zodiark (the Moon). Then, Hydaylen divided Zodiark's essence into thirteen shards, and consequently the world of Zodiark into thirteen smaller worlds. As such, half of the universe's aether is in Hydaylen, aka the Source, while the other half was split across the thirteen shards of Zodiark.

The Ascians are beings who seek to restore the universe as to what it once was: a single world with one single god. To do this, they must recombine the universe into one, with one singular pool of aether to draw on.

To merge the worlds, they must destablize the boundaries dividng the worlds by enacting a calamitious event, an unleashing of massive amount of aether all at once. The best way to do this is to bring about a mass death, where in the souls of thousands will simultaneously liquify into aether as they journey to the lifestream, destablizing the walls of reality separating the worlds, and thus causing the worlds to merge with one another. When the first calamity took place the world of Hydaylen had half of the universe's aether, and it's world and was 46% times stronger than any other world. Thus, the world most susceptible to the calamity - either the closest to Hydaylen or the weakest, was completely liquified and its aether absorbed into Hydaylen.

It's unclear whether or not they intend to recombine the 13 shards of Zodiark into one, resurrecting Zodiark, and THEN combine Zodiark and Hydalyen, or they intend to just merge all 13 shards into the Source, revive Zodiark, and then - somehow - try to recombine Zodiark and Hydalyen on the same world. At the beginning of 2.55, right before we found Wilred's body, we were comparing aether concentrations in the Southern Shroud with ancient records and found that the aether had been increasing over time, suggesting that the liquified aether of the 13 shards are not being recombined into Zodiark world (which would make up one half of the universe), but is instead going straight to Hydalyen.

The other thing I'm unclear on is the threat of the permenant loss of aether that the Primals pose. When a Primal consumers crystals (concentrated aether), apparently the aether does NOT go back into the cycle - back to the lifestream - when the Primal dies. Where is that aether going?

Is the new narrator Zenos?

HW 3.5
    Spoiler: 

WTH Tataru?

Oh.

Let it be known that the Empire did not shoot first! When the tyrannical King of Ruin plunged his country into a bloody civil war on the border of the Empire, the Imperial Military only acted to protect its people and secure the safety of the nation and restored order to Ala Mhigo!

Why did he even need to hide his face?

Oh please, you volunteered on this mission eager to kill Garleans to satisfy your own thirst for revenge.

Gotta say, Papalymo ACTUALLY managing to contain Shinryu for more than a few hours (we're not given a timeframe for the events so I'll assume that it's the same day) is truly impressive. Nidhogg was one of the seven firstborn Wyrms of Midgardsormr, the same brood as Bahamut, and both eyes of Nidhogg were used in the summoning of Shinryu. Master Louisiox, the greatest arcanist among the Scions and with all of the aether imbued in Tupsamati, could not contain Bahamut for more than ten seconds. And Papalymo managed to contain a being of similar power with only a fraction of Tupsamati's power.

HW 3.55
    Spoiler: 

What was that Gosetsu intro?

Destroying the scouting vessels of a nation trying to inspect its own massacred border town? Great diplomacy strategy folks! Remind me to never entrust these fellas to politics.

Oh.

Gosh, how many people will die as a result of Omega being unleashed? Also, you really should hail the Alliance forces in the East Shroud, tell them to fall back to safer distance. I'm sure that entire area is about to be razed.

Hell no. Rather than opening a channel with the Garleans and telling them what was up (THOSE GUYS AREN'T AFFILIATED WITH US!) and handling this diplomatically, we instead Rambo-ed into their fortress and slaughter a hundred Garlean soldiers on the way to the top, and then rather talking to the Garleans when we crossed paths with them in Cartenneau, we instead slaughtered another hundred soldiers. AND THEN we unleashed a devestating weapon upon the Garlean border...

See? What did I say? WHAT DID I SAY?

Garlemald deserves reparations for this.

What happened to Yuyuhasa and Laurentius? Did they manage to escape and where did they go?

How was the area not utterly annihilated in the battle?

WTH now this is a straight up asspull, you can't just say "oh BTW this character who has been with us for three games is aaaaaactually a sister (whose family was never brought up until THIS PATCH) who has been secretly impersonating her for two games and that the original character in 1.0 apparently died offscreen and there was no indication that the Yda who was there since 2.0 was an imposter.

Void Ark
    Spoiler: 

Whoa it looks like Redtern Island!

They even have the Mona Lisa in there!

Oh no, his pixelated clothing!

Is that a fungal dragon?

What are in thoe coffins?

If production of airships in Eorzea has advanced to the point where even your average joe can amass a squadron of airships, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Eorzea Alliance should have a decently sized air force now.

Why is Proto Ultima - an Allagan war machine - in the middle of a Mhacian city?

Having the battle lines during boss battles voiced would be a massive improvement. As it stands now, I go into a raid with maybe a blurb about a character (like the Shadow Queen) and the only characterization she gets are lines during her boss battle in the raid... lines which aren't voiced, but distracting text boxes that pop up in the middle of my screen while I'm trying to dodge AoEs, look at my proced abilities, look at who has a DoT on them and needs an Esuna, who needs healing, the status of my mana, the status of my AoEs, the team chat... it's just poorly presented.

Samurai (50-60)
    Spoiler: 

That was really sad.

HW final thoughts
    Spoiler: 

The story was at its most interesting when it was dealing with the Ishgard-Dragon interactions and the Warriors of Darkness. The story really dragged whenever we deteoured to deal with Primals, the Church, or "Aether science".

The highlight of the Ishgard-Dragon interactions was how their societies had been bent. The Ishgardian society had been built as pyramid around the war with the dragons, with the most powerful Ishgardians - having either accumulated power through prestiege on the battlefield, power through business, or commanding the respect of Ishgard society - lived in the city itself, at the core of their nation and protected, possibly moreso depending on how high up the society they lived, whereas the people who didn't have that power were left to fend for themselves on the frontier or clamber for handouts in the Brume. We met all sorts of people: an old man driven who lost his hometown, scrounging around in the snow for memories of it. Young men volunteering to fight dragons in the hope that they will be able to climb to the upper echeleons of society. Commanders breaking under stress as they do everything they possibly can and still have to fall back and abandon territory. Mothers who lost their sons and husbands in the war and can't forget the Dragons. Dragons who seek to avenge. Dragons who fight not out of revenge but out of friendship for those that go out to avenge. Dragons who have been wronged but are too weary to go to war. Dragons are just too lethargic to do anything and just sleep all day. Dragons who secretly yearn for a return to the days when dragon and man were in fellowship together.

In contrast, none of the other plotlines had that depth. The evil church was just... yet another stereotypically evil JRPG church. The Onemind and the Nonmind are only explored in the Vath beast tribe questline, and their involvement in the actual MSQ is little more than padding. The Moogles were a pretty fun deteour but they were just that: a deteour, and didn't add much that we didn't already know either. The Ul'dah plot was anti-climatically resolved as Ul'Dah didn't need to be saved; it turns out that there was no takeover to begin with; Loloritto hijacked the Monetarist's plan before they could do anything and everything's under control. Illbred, Yuyuhase, and Laurentius have maybe less than a minute and a half of screentime in the entire expansion, only being fought as minibosses in a duty and then showing up for a cameo in a cutscene at the end of the game. They also really dropped the ball when it came to characterizing the factions you regularly fight against, particularly the heretics, the dragons, and the Garleans. The game goes to great lengths to flesh out its factions... and then just presents those three as unanimously, cartoonishly evil bad guys to mow down in the hundreds. It's quite jarring to go from detailed explorations of Ishgardian society or meeting the dragons in Anyx Trine to mowing down hundreds of heretics and dragons in Coerthas and Dravanian, or going from exploring the many different perspectives within Ala Mhigo and Ishgard and then mowing down hundreds upon hundreds of Garleans in Azys La and Baelsar's Wall without a second thought. It feels like an ergregious double standard; we'll teach this story about overcoming our differences, understanding people and doing our utmost to preserve life... but when it comes to these guys, nah, they're just trash mobs. Kill em all! Yes, Zenos being a freak who lives for challenge would've almost had certainly gone to war anyways, but the Eorzean Alliance didn't even try to broker diplomacy with the Empire. They just immediately leapt to "and now lets kill more Garleans! Beacuse they're all evil anyway, right?".

I am not quite sure what FFXIV is going for here. Oh yes, Heavensward was about not blindly following your side into zealotry and Stormblood is about mustering up the will to continue in the face of overwhelming failure, but what about the theme of the story as a whole? The story about how the chaos of this world has driven people to summon their heroes to save them, only for those heroes to turn out to be monsters eating up the world and who lead their people to ruin without them even realizing it (tempering)? Initially, it seems like it was going for the idea that society can't rely on any one hero, but then you have countless people relying on the Warrior of Light, Louisox as Phoenix, and Hydalen to deliever them where the others have failed, and two out of three of those are primals (and the other effectively empowered by one of those primals), so what makes them different?

Heavensward was better than ARR, being good at certain points, but still not great,

Currently I have:
    WHM 60
    DRG 60
    RDM 60
    SAM 62
    PLD 56

Shadowbringers has role questlines, presumably four (tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS, healer), so I'll want to go into ShB with one of each role. DRG is pretty banal; Samurai is at least somewhat interesting as you can slightly vary your Iajutsu buildup (you can do the three combos and then Iajutsu, or you can cap the three combo points, start another combo and stop right before the combo finisher, use Iajutsu, finish that combo, then pop Meikyo Shisui, use the finisher of the other two combos, Iajutsu again, and then use the finisher of another combo, so you only need to complete two more combos to perform a third Iajutsu). RDM is a little more interesting due to the procs. PLD is currently whatever. WHM is the most engaging to play not because of the mechanics, but by virtue of being a healer where you have more things to do (triage healing, apply DoTs to enemies, CC, deal damage, conserve mana). For melee DPS, I think I'll focus on leveling SAM over DRG. I'll go back and level DRG after I cap the other jobs and if I still haven't made it to ShB yet.

Just a small clarification (though it wouldn't matter with what you have since you're not doing a physical ranged) but its Tank, Healer, PHYSICAL dps, and magic dps

IDK, black mage is one of the few jobs I feel has too many abilities, most of them have just the right amount.
    Black Mage is one of the ones I personally think has close to the right amount, if you're rotation goes properly.

That's one of the reason I really like Dancer. It's so straight forward and simple, but not braindead either since you have to pay attention to the procs and dance moves. I hope it gets buffed though, it's worse than bottom of the barrel right now.

Summoner is taking me a long time to get used to, mainly because they're pansies for taking hits with no tank pet and given how much damage they can do, especially in AoE situations, I'm always dying when I play mine. I imagine they're fun as hell in an actual group though because they can let loose. Doing solo stuff or FATEs is a freaking nightmare though.

Those 3 abilities for aoe combo and 30-60s cd abilities are far more important to me then CC or other flavor abilities so... /shrug, i wan my fights to be fun to play not some random niche thing.
    Which is a fair assessment, I enjoy the combos too, but we don't NEED combos or for them to require 3+ buttons to use. It could be simplified down to fewer buttons.

Given the current game design yes, but some of them can still be consolidated. 26 buttons (as Red Mage had last expansion) is too many buttons, even if every single one of them serve a purpose.

WoW was in a similar state a while ago too, then they pruned the hell out of everything. FFXIV could use some pruning now too, just not nearly to the same extent that WoW did it.

That said, it will be difficult given their current class design. I'm not sure how they could prune without gutting current class game play. At some point though, they're just going to have to deal with it if they keep raising levels and adding new abilities, just like WoW did.

Black Mage is one of the ones I personally think has close to the right amount, if you're rotation goes properly.
    I'm speaking purely from useless buttons, here's looking at you Blizzard II >.>

But I really don't want them to prune at all, I like where the button numbers are right now. That said for 6.0 I'd rather they stay close to the same, whatever that means them doing, removing less used abilities, etc.

I really don't want them to do things like make 1 button combos like pvp either.

To me, 26 buttons is not too many buttons if they all work together and mean something, but not all of them do. Why is fluid aura still a thing? Why is blizz 2 still a thing?

Like, I REALLY like the way SMN plays right now and I'd hate for them to change that because people are complaining about too many buttons.

DNC is fun too though, but I can't stand to play it the "proper" way, and even in rDPS it's far too low.

Lets not forget they always remove abilities when a new expansion is out and add new ones to replace those. Its not like in WoW were they just kept stacking and stacking on top of each other. In FFXIV we always stay the same or lose a few depending on which job you're talking about.

Also I really hope they don't take a page from current WoW class design. Its some of the worst its ever been outside of a few specs. Its the number one complaint in WoW right now. No matter how fun the content is if your character isn't fun to play then its all pointless. Warlock is what I played and that class is mindlessly boring now. Heck the thing I did like about BFA Warlock was the drain life artifact trait but they go ahead and nerf it cuz pvp. I don't even understand how anyone who still plays a Warlock can stand playing WoW at the moment.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2019-08-02 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are there to allow you plan out when you need Ruin IVs for movement or other reasons. Besides, you basically macro'd your pet attacks back in the day anyway if you had a modicum of care, pets on sic wasn't the way to go.
    a) If I don't use the pet abilities on CD I waste damage if they recharge past 2 stacks.
    b) Ruin IV stacks last indefinitely

Apart from not having the AI cast Garudas green AoE twice in a row, there is no planning involved. You just smack them CDs when you use any instant to avoid the awkward Cast delay and that's that. Planning comes when using Ruin IV, namely when Bahamut is close to expiring in order to get max wyrmwaves and dumping your stacks before summoning the phoenix.

I liked the option of having auto pets, esp since I won't venture past ex dungeons anyway. No one needs optimizations to the degree that pet on auto = big nono in there.

apparently things have to be standing still fo you to be able to touch them.
    This really kills me, people try to run dungeons like a low level WoW dungeon and just pull half the dungeon together and I'm like 2 pixels away from the monsters spamming buttons while I watched my greased lightning tick down and it won't let me hit them.

I think that's why some jobs in FFXIV just feel better and more active than some jobs in WoW, not because they actually have more APM, but because you're using more abilities (not getting higher APM, just literally using more abilities/ hitting more buttons) while doing the dance of positionals and dodging AoE's and such.
    I honestly think positionals is a terrible design that should get removed. It should just be in front of or behind like WoW imo. I can't tell you how many times a boss will just be spinning constantly and I'm just losing dmg through no fault of my own.

Part of my issue with WoW currently is that all of the classes I've played feel the same because of how few abilities each have and how similar the abilities are;
    The legion overhaul torpedo'd class design imo. I was burning out hard half way through legion and I needed BFA to fix it, then they doubled down on the worst parts of the legion design and I completely burned out and quit. You'll hear no love from me about current class design in WoW.

Usually when I'm talking up WoW design I'm thinking of MoP / WoD as imo that was peak class design for many specs.

As a result, FFXIV just feels better because I'm using a lot of different abilities rather than the same abilities more often.
    For me the jobs honestly don't feel great, I'm just finding ones I'm content with.

What was really compelling about WoW's designs during MoP / WoD was the depth / agency that the designs gave players. They almost entirely removed that depth with legion, but man it was awesome while it was there. FF14's classes have shallow complexity like I mentioned before, there's pretty much no agency at all. Its just pressing buttons in sequence like a robot or go bard / dancer and have a slightly more wow-ish proc based priority system.

I miss the agency I used to have, but neither game has it anymore.

I love combos, it's something that adds depth, screw up a combo and you lose DPS or a proc, or your dot falls off. Don't play around movement as a paladin and you lose Goring blade. Don't use your procs properly as a RDM and your dps suffers immensely.
    That's actually the opposite of depth, its pretty much as shallow as it can possible get. There's absolutely no agency in what you just described, you either do exactly what you're supposed to do or you screw up and there's no thought in the matter.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2019-08-02 at 11:21 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    This really kills me, people try to run dungeons like a low level WoW dungeon and just pull half the dungeon together and I'm like 2 pixels away from the monsters spamming buttons while I watched my greased lightning tick down and it won't let me hit them.
    Yup hitting moving mobs as a melee is a nightmare in this game. Positions are soooo inaccurate. >.<

That's actually the opposite of depth, its pretty much as shallow as it can possible get. There's absolutely no agency in what you just described, you either do exactly what you're supposed to do or you screw up and there's no thought in the matter.
    No, that is depth, you have to plan around being able to finish your combo, you have to plan around your dots or buffs falling off. If you get halfway into a combo and WHOOPS disembowel fell off, you just fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Lets not forget they always remove abilities when a new expansion is out and add new ones to replace those. Its not like in WoW were they just kept stacking and stacking on top of each other. In FFXIV we always stay the same or lose a few depending on which job you're talking about.

Also I really hope they don't take a page from current WoW class design. Its some of the worst its ever been outside of a few specs. Its the number one complaint in WoW right now. No matter how fun the content is if your character isn't fun to play then its all pointless. Warlock is what I played and that class is mindlessly boring now. Heck the thing I did like about BFA Warlock was the drain life artifact trait but they go ahead and nerf it cuz pvp. I don't even understand how anyone who still plays a Warlock can stand playing WoW at the moment.
    Lol. I mained Demonology Warlock. I’m not playing anymore. Hit it right on the head.

No, that is depth, you have to plan around being able to finish your combo, you have to plan around your dots or buffs falling off. If you get halfway into a combo and WHOOPS disembowel fell off, you just fucked up.
    Depth is "the number of emergent experientially different possibilities or meaningful choices that come out of one ruleset".

Your choices with these combo systems is to press the next button in the combo. There is no depth there at all, it is the shallowest of choices. This games class design is completely devoid of any depth, everything is fairly straightforward and completely lacks agency.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Depth is "the number of emergent experientially different possibilities or meaningful choices that come out of one ruleset".

Your choices with these combo systems is to press the next button in the combo. There is no depth there at all, it is the shallowest of choices. This games class design is completely devoid of any depth, everything is fairly straightforward and completely lacks agency.
    I think it has a lot of depth, you just refuse to see it that way.

Depth isn't just the buttons you press but pressing them in the situation the game puts you into.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's not depth, that's just "my DoT takes 7 seconds to cast so I start casting it at that point instead of just before it falls off or something".

XIV has effectively no depth whatsoever in most jobs gameplay. You do it right or you don't do it at all, there's no real in between. (With some exceptions, of course)
    samurai has pretty deep gameplay. the difference between a decent samurai player and a great samurai player can be pretty wide.