Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderKillian View Post
    I saved a bunch of money by switching to Intel too.
    Well you're spending 3-400 dollars less on your MOBO, that probably helped..

Building it went well just have a couple questions.

For the kraken x72, how do you hook it up to the motherboard?

Cpu_fan or cpu_opt or both.

Right now I have it as cpu_fan but in bios it is reading pump speed as the fan speed. In cam it tells me both fan and pump speed.

I hooked it up as in the directions just wondering if I did something wrong.

3 fans all hooked to fan daisy chain then that hooked into other kraken cable then the other part of that cable hooked in cpu_fan

The other question. The 2080 ti, I noticed the fans weren't moving till I installed the precision software and selected a fan curve. Is that normal?

10+ Year Old Account

Right now I have it as cpu_fan but in bios it is reading pump speed as the fan speed. In cam it tells me both fan and pump speed.

3 fans all hooked to fan daisy chain then that hooked into other kraken cable then the other part of that cable hooked in cpu_fan

The other question. The 2080 ti, I noticed the fans weren't moving till I installed the precision software and selected a fan curve. Is that normal?
    If you followed the instructions I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. It's an AiO, which means you're going to have a pump speed. Depending on the daisy chain connector that's normal. Corsair AiO's run their fans through a USB cable I believe.

As for the GPU: What were you doing with it? Most modern GPUs don't spin their fans until they get kinda hot (~50-60 is normal) because their heatsinks can sink a lot of heat passively.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you followed the instructions I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. It's an AiO, which means you're going to have a pump speed. Depending on the daisy chain connector that's normal. Corsair AiO's run their fans through a USB cable I believe.

As for the GPU: What were you doing with it? Most modern GPUs don't spin their fans until they get kinda hot (~50-60 is normal) because their heatsinks can sink a lot of heat passively.

Ok. I asked the guy at microcenter too he said I installed the kraken right. Like I said first time with aio. Not use to seeing a pump speed in bios instead of the fan speed.

As for gpu. Nothing, if they don't start spinning up because of temp then maybe I need to change the fan curve in precision x1 so they are not spinning.

I just noticed the fans weren't spinning when I was installing all the software and drivers until I got to the precision x1 software and put a fan curve on. The fans don't start spinning till precision x1 is loaded. But then again the temp is only 30c and I think the highest I have got them so far is 45c. So they shouldn't be spinning.

Today I may get the temps higher depends on how much I get done. Got more stuff to download and install. Then some overclocking.
    Last edited by BartenderKillian; 2019-08-04 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you buy 9x Noctua NF-F12 as case fans?

They're radiator fans.

If you want Case Fans you need the S12A.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

They're radiator fans.

They work fine as case fans. That's all microcenter had for noctua fans. They are nice and quiet.

I don't see a big deal. 3 of them I decided not to use because the ones with the kraken have higher rpms.

Not sure I will take them back though. They were price matched at 20 each.

10+ Year Old Account
    They work fine as case fans. That's all microcenter had for noctua fans. They are nice and quiet.

I don't see a big deal. 3 of them I decided not to use because the ones with the kraken have higher rpms.

Not sure I will take them back though. They were price matched at 20 each.
    Higher RPM, but also more noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

They're radiator fans.

They can do both. F12's are better at static pressure, yes, but the performance delta isn't that high, and when you're running 9 of them, you could probably run with whatever bargain basement tier fans you want and still be fine.

Damn sounds like a geico commercial.
    Picks 650-700$ MB for AMD.
    Picks 250-300$ MB for Intel.

"Saved a bunch of money by switching to Intel"

Not sure how good the Kraken fans are, but your pc will sound like an industrial AC unit if you run everything at max rpm. And higher rpm doesnt always mean better.

I also hope you set up your fans correctly so you dont end up with a case full of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Picks 650-700$ MB for AMD.
    Picks 250-300$ MB for Intel.

"Saved a bunch of money by switching to Intel"

Not sure how good the Kraken fans are, but your pc will sound like an industrial AC unit if you run everything at max rpm. And higher rpm doesnt always mean better.

I also hope you set up your fans correctly so you dont end up with a case full of dust.
    How should I have it set.

Right now I have side and bottom as intake. Top with rad as exhaust.

10+ Year Old Account
    How should I have it set.

Right now I have side and bottom as intake. Top with rad as exhaust.
    I'd probably swap the rad to the side, and keep fans the same. So bottom+side(rad) intake with top exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'd probably swap the rad to the side, and keep fans the same. So bottom+side(rad) intake with top exhaust.
    The problem with using a rad with intake fans is you are blowing the heat from the rad into the case.

Why? Don't you guys have phones?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with using a rad with intake fans is you are blowing the heat from the rad into the case.
    But you also have 3 more blowing cool air in. You should be fine

This is intended. You want the cooler outside air coming through the radiator, not already-warm air from inside the case, which therefore cannot remove enough heat from the radiator.

Well they didn't get any 3900x in so I decided to switch over to an Intel build. They did get in the 34inch Alienware I wanted.

So here it is. I will start building it tomorrow.

Cpu: I9-9900K

Cpu Thermal paste: NOCTUA NOCTUA NT-H1 THEMAL CMPD

Cpu Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN X72 LIQUID COOLER

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX

Memory: CORSAIR 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 C16 VGN WHITE

Ssd: SAMSUNG E 1TB 970 EVO+ NVME M.2 SSD

Video card: EVGA RTX 2080TI FTW3

Power Supply: EVGA **SN 850P2 80+P FM ATX PS

Case: LIANLI PC-0011DW WHITE

Case Fans: NOCTUA NF-F12 PWM 120MM FAN x 9

Monitor: 34" Alienware AW3418DW

Mouse: CORSAIR NIGHTSWORD RGB

Keyboard: CORSAIR K95 RGB PLATINUM SPEED

Headset: SENNHEIS GSP 600

Damn sounds like a geico commercial.

With those i'd personally swap to an Asus motherboard (because the uefi is 10 times better and easier to work with) and i'd definetally get a separate sound card with a headphone amp for the GSP600 Sennheisers. You won't need a better one than the Sound Blaster Z. Also for the mouse, i'd definetally go with Logitech, the lightspeed sensor and wireless are extremely nice. Otherwise, congratulations on a really nice build. Also for the CPU-cooler, i'd definetally use Corsair, but the Kraken is by no means worse, just a personal preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakuski View Post
    Logitech, the lightspeed sensor and wireless are extremely nice.
    Lightspeed is the name of their wireless module, not the sensor. Their lightspeed mice are using either the HERO or the PMW3366 sensors

Also I'd recommend getting a standalone DAC/AMP rather than a soundcard, just because the sound quality is better per dollar

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakuski View Post
    With those i'd personally swap to an Asus motherboard (because the uefi is 10 times better and easier to work with) and i'd definetally get a separate sound card with a headphone amp for the GSP600 Sennheisers. You won't need a better one than the Sound Blaster Z. Also for the mouse, i'd definetally go with Logitech, the lightspeed sensor and wireless are extremely nice. Otherwise, congratulations on a really nice build. Also for the CPU-cooler, i'd definetally use Corsair, but the Kraken is by no means worse, just a personal preference.
    And you would also be getting a worse mobo then. The Gigabyte z390 master is the best z390 mobo you can get, onless you look at the MSI godlike and Gigabyte extrem. Asus has used some bad VRMs this time on the z390 series. So on z390 Gigabyte is the go to brand. Just look up reviews
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Just jumping for this, even if people gave an answer already. From the specific on the website, that card should have at least 1 or 2 dedicated AIO pump connectors. It's not like it won't work with the connection setup like this, but usually (my z370 Strix has one) higher tier motherboards have a dedicated plug for watercooling pumps.

CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are dedicated for double fan air/water coolers so in the case you don't have a splitter you can plug both fans directly on the motherboard (CPU_OPT basically shares the reading pin with CPU_FAN and will both go the same speed).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This is intended. You want the cooler outside air coming through the radiator, not already-warm air from inside the case, which therefore cannot remove enough heat from the radiator.
    Agree basically because since GPU is air cooled it will blow the hot air into the case - much more than the one that comes from the CPU radiator. However any of the two setups is basically fine.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.