Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I will also add something to this whole deal which is important enough to me to post it separately as a shorter answer to the actual question of this post;

Are Gamers to toxic? Oh hell yes. Go, visit that Mordhau Discord. But should THIS be the straw? No. ...Because the Ooblet-Topic would not have gone so ballistic if its developer didn't behave so bad. And Epic reaction is just a blatant attempt to gaslight everyone what people are really mad about, acting like there is no reason people were upset with this kind of entitled Indie-dev-behavior ...or like everyone is just "lazy" when not supporting Epics more than shady business.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Of course gaming communities are too toxic, is that really a question? Log in to a game of Apex and hear 10 year olds hurling racist slurs, people telling you to kill yourself because you died, calling each other extremely derogatory names, the list goes on. It's not every game but once is more than enough, and it's much more often than that.

One might argue that it's society at this point and anonimyty is just exposing deeper issues, but I still don't want to hear it. I don't expect epic to fix toxic people, but shutting them up is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    You understand that data breaches happen all the time without you knowing about it, right? A good example is the Google Plus Data Leak which was exposed by the Wall Street Journal and wasn't formally disclosed by the company until it was revealed. The data breach wouldn't be over the news (though they always have articles written about them, which people ignore) because it literally happens every day, and a gaming company isn't even important enough to receive the focus if it were actively reported on.
    I'm still waiting on the receipts of them lying about a data breach. It's kind of important to comprehend what you read before replying to it. No where did I ever claim they didn't have a data breach- I honestly could care less and don't even care to look it up. I know for a fact they didn't openly lie about it if it did happen. The other guy couldn't prove his claims, and I doubt you can either.

https://medium.com/@perplamps/regard...g-3af0f27d863c

Gamers were a mistake. Holy shit those screenshots are awful, and something small like this blew way out of proportion.

I feel bad for the devs, they didn't deserve this level of extreme harassment and hyperbole over some mild snark that apparently left some people miffed. I mean good lord, if that mild snark was enough to "trigger" all these people then I don't know what else to say...stop taking your hobby so seriously like it's a life and death issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://medium.com/@perplamps/regard...g-3af0f27d863c

Gamers were a mistake. Holy shit those screenshots are awful, and something small like this blew way out of proportion.

I feel bad for the devs, they didn't deserve this level of extreme harassment and hyperbole over some mild snark that apparently left some people miffed. I mean good lord, if that mild snark was enough to "trigger" all these people then I don't know what else to say...stop taking your hobby so seriously like it's a life and death issue?
    The hilarious part is swap these devs and any of their harassers places and I guarantee you they all take the deal. Imagine harassing someone for taking a good financial deal, especially a small indy developer that has no guarantee of a future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post
    At least you don't need to lose out and wait when it comes to Outer Worlds. It's going to be on the Windows store for purchase aswell, AND also a part of the PC game pass thing, which on it's own is a great. 1 dollar for the first month of subscription, then 5 a month after that. Being as anti Epic as I am, I'll definitely be playing it on Microsoft's store, then a year later when it's most likely going to be discounted--> pick it up and add it to my steam collection. Win win
    Holy shit I didn't know it will be available on Microsoft store on launch. I'll definitely buy it a second time to add it on the steam collection if it comes out great and obsidian delivers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even this post doesn't adress being this patronizing against their 'playerbase' (who are we kidding, no one would've played this crap anyway and this in the end is really good PR to get recognition).

Why is he crying about being 'attacked' etc? Shouldn't he worry more about climate change ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Then don't buy games from devs that do shitty things? Vote with your currency. If you don't like what a dev is doing, don't support them. Not rocket science.
    Well yeah, and that is why people are cancelling preorders etc.. The problem is voting with our wallets is less effective when Epic pays the devs off. Hence people calling the devs and Epic out for their shitty behavior in addition to cancelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    lolno. There used to be tons of 90% off games that were 5+ years old during sales, and even newly released titles got a minimum of 15% off, and if they'd been out for 4 months or longer, generally 50%. Steam sales used to kick ass, now they're just "meh".

- - - Updated - - -
    It is my understanding that the devs are the ones that set the limits on what the sales can be not Steam. If you are not seeing some of the better deals you saw previously maybe its because the devs are not allowing it or because you have already bought all of the games from companies that do those deals. I for one in the summer sale saw some titles that were 90% off and some new titles that were 10-15% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Even this post doesn't adress being this patronizing against their 'playerbase' (who are we kidding, no one would've played this crap anyway and this in the end is really good PR to get recognition).
    Oh heavens, they wrote some extremely mild snark about how people treat EGS exclusives as if they're major, dramatic issues worthy of the kind of emotional response as those other issues.

What's to address? They said it was a joke that missed the mark, which is all it was.

No, this isn't "really good PR" or any "PR" at all. They don't even have PR people for petes sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Why is he crying about being 'attacked' etc? Shouldn't he worry more about climate change ?
    I dunno. Have you been on the receiving end of hundreds/thousands of messages telling you to kill yourself? Telling you that they hope your loved ones are the victims of violence?

Good lord, harassment actually matters. Have some empathy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Well yeah, and that is why people are cancelling preorders etc.. The problem is voting with our wallets is less effective when Epic pays the devs off. Hence people calling the devs and Epic out for their shitty behavior in addition to cancelling.
    Actually, it still does. If Epic buys exclusives and they don't sell...they're not going to keep buying exclusives. You can still vote with your wallet, the problem is that as with almost every boycott movement (remember the CoD:MW2 boycott on PC?), nobody puts their money where their mouths are. Hence why exclusives like Metro: Exodus and World War Z both sold very well on the platform.

Of course it is true, idiots on the internet harass people over just about anything these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah now i see he is now crying that people are going to far while he taunted them himself even further.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...c-exclusivity/

Hope the money was good enough for that duo developer team, sleep with the dog and you get fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    One of the big problems is that people with mental illness are often drawn to video games. When a large portion of your customer base is populated by people who are already fragile and disenfranchised, you're going to have problems.
    Especially if you treat them like the general population does - which is to say, like garbage.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Ah now i see he is now crying that people are going to far while he taunted them himself even further.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...c-exclusivity/

Hope the money was good enough for that duo developer team, sleep with the dog and you get fleas.
    Because they went too far. Nothing they did warranted the harassment they received.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    A few mean comments = the sentiments of literally hundreds of millions of people does it?
    Go away with such hyperbole - it adds nothing to the conversation.
    Hundreds of mean comments? Yeah, that's more than a bit much. Especially considering the huge response compared to the number of Patreon supporters they have.

I'm not going away, because we keep seeing this kind of garbage harassment and I'll keep calling it out as long as it's there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because they went too far. Nothing they did warranted the harassment they received.

- - - Updated - - -

Hundreds of mean comments? Yeah, that's more than a bit much. Especially considering the huge response compared to the number of Patreon supporters they have.

I'm not going away, because we keep seeing this kind of garbage harassment and I'll keep calling it out as long as it's there.
    Oh they did went too far, yet throwing more fuel on the fire seems completely pointless. As all he is doing now is ensuring that 2 headed developer team is going to face even more grief and their product will be even more targetted. Of course Epics manchild in charge doesn't care he has his exclusive, who cares if this black mark is going to stick with those guys.

Much like he treats his employees i would guess, disposable.

I'm not condoning harassment - I believe that companies and developers should be expected to deal with criticism, otherwise don't take the job. The problem is when you say "Gamers were a mistake"
    Being told to kill yourself/they hope your partner dies isn't criticism, that's harassment.

And yes, I still stand by that comment in light of the events that unfolded with this, and with previous EGS releases.

There are tens if not hundreds of millions of gamers. You cannot put the actions on 0.0000001% of losers on the shoulders of all of those people.
    If this was an isolated incident, I'd agree. But it's part of a broader pattern that's largely specific to people that "identify" as gamers, not just everyone that plays games. I'm specifically talking about "gamer culture", not your aunt that plays Candy Crush while on the toilet or the bro that just picks up Madden and CoD each year and doesn't care about gaming news.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Generally if it requires a client I don't want to download (I already have enough shite I had to download on my PC just to play games) then I won't buy it. No biggie.

Though it's a dick move they did this after telling backers they'd have it launch on Steam. Bit of a slap in the face for ppl who invested expecting a Steam version at launch. Hope they get refunded.
    Same here.

The death threats and such are always over the top and isn't acceptable ever.

However when game companies make moves like this, it's a bit underhanded to me and I have no problem with simple over the top harsh language toward the developers and game companies. The threats should never happen but some good ole angry "F" them and the horse they road in on and whatever else is all good to me these days. Let them have it. I'm well past tired of reading about dick game company moves of say one thing and do another.

Oh they did went too far, yet throwing more fuel on the fire seems completely pointless.
    I'd argue he put very little "fuel" on the fire, and the reaction to his additional comments (including the unpopular but brutally honest ones like, "You're not entitled to have access to the game in regions where EGS isn't supported.")

As all he is doing now is ensuring that 2 headed developer team is going to face even more grief and their product will be even more targetted.
    That's nonsense. The only way to not have that backlack would be to cave to consumer demands, nothing else would stop the harassment. And they're clearly not doing that, nor should they. It's their game and their risk, the only ones taking on the risk with them are Patreon supporters who...don't seem particularly miffed from what I've seen.

[QUOTE=Acidbaron;51469778]Of course Epics manchild in charge doesn't care he has his exclusive, who cares if this black mark is going to stick with those guys.[/quote[

Sweeney's post was dumb, I agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't know whats funnier, the devs getting hit by karma truck or epic pretending they have some moral authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Assuming that these poeple are one and the same is rather daring .. at least as a general rule of thumb. The convention crowd is such a smal sub-sub-section of the gaming space.
    Well the forumgoing crowd is also a small sub-section of the gaming space. Probably though that the toxic shitstains are a smaller sub-sub-section of that still.
    It's pretty clear that the people following the online sphere of games are also the ones keeping track of events etc.

Here's the plan they had. Put out some assholeish and condecending message to your loyal fans and then ignore all the constructive posts and whine about the few threats you get while pretending you weren't an asshole. Everytime like clockwork.

That isn't to say that a lot of gaming communities aren't fucking horrendous but that is up to the dev to police it but no one is their right mind should think Epic has any moral authority over anyone.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2019-08-06 at 08:47 PM.