Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

#BoycottBorderlands3 trending, Alleged Controversy targetting YouTuber

#BOYCOTTBORDERLANDS3 TRENDS ON TWITTER AFTER ALLEGED CONTROVERSY TARGETING YOUTUBER

SOURCE

Borderlands 3 fans are staging a Twitter boycott of the game with #boycottborderlands3 after representatives from 2K games allegedly accosted a YouTuber for using development stream codes that have been publicly available for months. The story was reported by Borderlands content creator SupMatto, detailing the presumed events.

According to SupMatto, the confrontation began on April 29 when the official Borderlands 3 Twitch extension was announced on official channels prior to the game's gameplay reveal. The clip inadvertently featured the names of tester accounts, which many fans of the series subsequently followed. They provided leaked details which were later covered by Matto and fellow content providers.

The story contends that, on Thursday July 25, SupMatto was approached by two private eyes contracted by 2K while at his home. They allegedly questioned him about various leaks and other gameplay details that emerged from the findings. "I was very tense, as many of you could imagine, having two people in suits you don't know show up at your home," he recalled of the incident.

Matters got messier when Matto allegedly received seven copyright strikes on his YouTube channel the following day from sources within 2K. Only one remains at the time of publish, with channel uploads still active. His Discord, on the other hand, is shut down for being "involved in selling, promoting or distributing cheats, hacks or cracked accounts." Given these events, Matto has suspended his own Twitter account in an effort to curb rampant speculation.

Here is the video in which he speaks about it:

I've on-and-off kept up with SupMatto over the course of about 3 years and at one point I felt that he just spammed videos over and over about Borderlands 2. But any real dedicated content creator who is a dedicated fan would probably do the same.

I don't get the vibe that he's lying about this.

I was reading from another article (looking for it again to link) that it was only 2K Games that supposedly sent these private investigators, but it would be silly to believe Gearbox Software, and to that extent Randy Pitchford, would be unaware of this. Probably something he could officially say as, "Oh, I had no idea about this, as I only work at Gearbox" or something.

Either way, personally this isn't going to stop be from supporting Gearbox Software and playing BL3 the day it comes out.

I await the rage.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I doubt any one really cares or won’t buy the game because some YouTube got questioned about leaks.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-08-07 at 04:39 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I doubt any one really cares or won’t buy the game because some YouTube got questioned able leaks.
    I feel the same.

Although, I am aware of the many people who on the Internet even including MMO-C who either took the 6 month exclusive deal w/ Epic Games and probably now this as any reason to.

5+ Year Old Account
    I have been waiting for borderlands three forever.

I hope this doesn’t delay it.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    I feel the same.

Although, I am aware of the many people who on the Internet even including MMO-C who either took the 6 month exclusive deal w/ Epic Games and probably now this as any reason to.
    I’m sure there are people who will pirate it or wait till it’s on steak to buy it because of the exclusive nature but I doubt any of them or any one else who was going to buy it will see that some YouTube got asked some questions and then cancel there plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I doubt any one really cares or won’t buy the game because some YouTube got questioned about leaks.
    It's really his own fault if he talked to the private eyes or whatever occurred that made this an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually insane to think about how ludicrous people get when it comes to a fucking video game.
    Selling myself out below

I can't believe its not something Randy did for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that seems childish to boycott the game over what 2k is doing. It's not like Gearbox has any control over what their publisher does, especially this close to launch. Am I going to boycott it? Hell no, but I will wait til april 2020 before I buy it.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Hardly anyone cares about these boycotts. I mean, people keep saying boycott EA, boycott ActiBlzz, etc, but year after year these companies keep making more and more money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    So you make a thread about a subject just to disagree with it

Here's your attention I guess
    People are discussing before you came in. Including myself.

And we still are.

So, why are you here?

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I can't believe its not something Randy did for once.
    I've been reading that it was Take Two Interactive who allegedly sent these P.I's to investigate if there is a source inside of Gearbox. I have to imagine Randy is aware of the situation. I wonder if he even pushed for it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like to comment on ridiculous posts
    I suppose we see who the real attention seeker is then.

I suppose we see who the real attention seeker is then.
    No hes right. This thread really is pointless.

Boycott a game because he got hit up over Copyright. YEAAAA K

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    No hes right. This thread really is pointless.
    I disagree.

I disagree.
    you messed up by choosing a game people like/are waiting for.

Should have picked just another EA/Ubisoft/Bioware/activision hate train thread that you wanted.

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Because I didn't start a thread genius
    So you came into it with no intention to discuss the topic, instead just to "comment on ridiculous" posts, and not seek attention from it.

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    you messed up by choosing a game people like/are waiting for.

Should have picked just another EA/Ubisoft/Bioware hate train thread that you wanted.

I chose the topic because it's a relevant thing going on at this current moment in regards to the game.

The perception about "hate trains" is entirely yours.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2019-08-07 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again i lol'd hard because there will be no boycott. Look how boycott for Anthem ended.

I'll still buy it. I need it, actually. Finally, a decent fps after all these years. However, I'll be buying it for PS4 pro, not on PC until it comes to Steam. I like to keep my gaming library on Steam or Battle.net for PC.

it's retarded that 2K went after one of borderlands biggest fans like this. But i'm not gonna boycott it. I need it too bad.

Well, the game is essentially dead now, so it kind of worked. They got fat sales though so I doubt they care
    I'm sure EA is keenly aware of the opportunity costs associated with Anthem being mediocre at best. It isn't "did your game make money" imo. It most likely is, "Your game is going to make this much money, we are so excited, and we can't wait. See you at the financial report meeting for the results."

I'd wager EA and Bioware planned on Anthem being the start of a huge new franchise which would be a golden goose for years to come.