Page 1 of 2
LastLast

will NA get 8 classic wow servers like china?

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...uding_pvp_pve/

In China, by a Blizzard executive producer. But since the players in China are no less than those in NA, probably there will be no more than 8 severs in NA. For EU, the situation would be a bit different.

This means even in phase 2 when the layers are no long exist, there should be more players in one server than the numbers in 2005. I am personally glad to see a peak 10000 online in one server, which is similar to private server. Edit: The number 10k is just my guess based on that they said there will be no layer in phase 2 and the assumption they don't add many servers and don't enable transfer before phase 2.

8 servers would be a massive problem for NA and EU. they will need at least 20 unless they plan on adding a queue system after p1/layering goes away.

there will be millions playing the game, many of them addicted and playing 10+ hours a day for the first few months, 8 servers won't be close to handling that. im guessing in china classic is less of a deal and they are expecting a small number of players. in NA particularly we know the launch won't be small. somewhere around 20-30 servers sounds about right to me for NA unless the plan is to start small and add if needed which wouldn't be a bad idea, if they go with that idea somewhere around 15 might be what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomy View Post
    8 servers would be a massive problem for NA and EU. they will need at least 20 unless they plan on adding a queue system after p1/layering goes away.

there will be millions playing the game, many of them addicted and playing 10+ hours a day for the first few months,
    Are you actually serious about that? After what I have read on this subforum in the last couple of months I think my sarcasm identification skill starts to fail me
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you couldn't wait the next 24hrs to find out? They literally said we would know the server names and ruleset before the weekend. It is thursday....No one knows for sure how many. My guess, between 10-15 but i could be way off. People seem to think this will be the biggest release in the history of wow, and expect this to have a sustained populations of 10+ mil....i highly highly doubt it will sustain half that, and you do not want dead realms, that is the single worst thing that can happen.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post

In China, by a Blizzard executive producer. But since the players in China are no less than those in NA, probably there will be no more than 8 severs in NA. For EU, the situation would be a bit different.

This means even in phase 2 when the layers are no long exist, there should be more players in one server than the numbers in 2005. I am personally glad to see a peak 10000 online in one server, which is similar to private server. Edit: The number 10k is just my guess based on that they said there will be no layer in phase 2 and the assumption they don't add many servers and don't enable transfer before phase 2.
    To answer your question in short, no there won't be 8 servers for NA & EU.

There will be atleast 20-30 servers for EU & NA, that's for sure.
    AftermathhUI: @ WoWinterface
    Dirty Twist: @ Soundcloud

Having 10k players in one server is insanity and the amount of extra shit they had to do to make it even somewhat playable at those numbers killed the feeling of vanilla. It was never designed to numbers like that per server and it'll be shit if that happens.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Aftermathhqt View Post

Here is a prediction: character names will be forced unique over all realms. We will have a lot of realms at the start with merges in 2 months.

They stated that once layering was turned off, queues would form. They will stick to fairly similar numbers as Classic (I'll wager) meaning 3000ish playing... the rest in queue.

china has a history of WOW players equal to or greater than NA, and 2-3X more than all of EU, UK, servers combined.

china has a history of WOW players equal to or greater than NA, and 2-3X more than all of EU, UK, servers combined.
    There's quite a diff between having and had.
    AftermathhUI: @ WoWinterface
    Dirty Twist: @ Soundcloud

There's quite a diff between having and had.
    very true....but there is no way of saying "having and had" when blizzard stopped releasing numbers. NA quit possibly also could no longer be the top population either?

- - - Updated - - -

did not say 8 servers for NA and EU, the comment on reddit is not mine, but reading it, it presumes 8 for NA and was unsure on EU

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    They stated that once layering was turned off, queues would form. They will stick to fairly similar numbers as Classic (I'll wager) meaning 3000ish playing... the rest in queue.

Just because I honestly don't know, is the 3k playing you are referring to 3k per faction, or total. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Here is a prediction: character names will be forced unique over all realms. We will have a lot of realms at the start with merges in 2 months.
    First person that I've seen make this prediction. Any reason or pure gut speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
    First person that I've seen make this prediction. Any reason or pure gut speculation?
    Common sense. Great release with massive resources. As time goes on, dial it back and merge servers seamlessly. Sounds like the outline of a solid plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Common sense. Great release with massive resources. As time goes on, dial it back and merge servers seamlessly. Sounds like the outline of a solid plan.
    Blizzard isn't too sentimental about names. You merge/transfer and if your name is taken you pick a new one. And, hey, I hate to sound like a contrarian. I'd love if my in-game names are forced unique.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they go the merging route they would just do connected realms like they do on live. Forcing unique names upon an inevitable server merge would piss people off.

Before people go crazy, there's nothing taboo about connected realms. It's literally just merging two low population centers together, with your tag now showing your server name (so that people can have the same name). The main concern that people have with such systems is that shortly afterwards they introduced sharding and such technology to make the world feel more alive. The opposite is true in Vanilla. They're introducing layering (sharding 2.0) to combat too many people as opposed to too little, and it wouldn't make sense to introduce such a system when there isn't competition at all.

I started on Warsong in Vanilla, and like 3 months into Vanilla they gave free server transfers to people that wanted to go from Warsong to Bonechewer (they did this for several other realms as well). Reason being is that Warsong was an unmitigated disaster in regards to server stability and they wanted to spread the population out. Part of the reason my experience was so tainted on Vanilla launch is because I was unlucky and picked a server with a massive amount of people on it, unable to really play the game reliably for the first couple of weeks.

People are crazy if they think Blizzard would force a unique name, that's retarded and would turn people off. You're also crazy if you think that it's healthy for the game to launch with a massive amount of servers. There is one thing worse than an over crowded server, and that's being on a pretty fucking dead server. Considering people are clamoring for community interaction and shit like that, finding yourself with a shitty server economy, empty chats, and nobody to play with is the last thing you should want.

Quote Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
    The hardest thing about classic launch is to decide how many realms to start with. I don't think they really deep down care about "server community" and would not have problems merging. And let's face it there will be reason to merge in half a year or so. Classic player base will shrink, and become onesided faction.

But I think Blizzard cares a lot about players keeping character names. That's the only reason we have no mergers in retail. Forcing unique names right from the start IMO.

20 servers for EU and NA? Rofl there will be at best 6-7 server full why waste resources

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebryan View Post
    Just because I honestly don't know, is the 3k playing you are referring to 3k per faction, or total. Just curious.
    Total, per realm/layer

8 is about what I expected honestly. There might be like 5-6 layers per server, then as the initial hype calms down, the layers merge into 1.