Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    Because Diablo: Immortal
    What's stopped them from showing both?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm surprised that there have been ZERO Diablo 4 "leaks" / speculation threads, even though we are 2.5ish months from Blizzcon. I would have thought there would be SOMETHING going on by now. Does anyone not care? Or are we expecting some strange new genre of game that is so different that its impossible to speculate?

It makes me think that perhaps Blizzard needs to do some teaser images to drum up interest.
    Well this is mainly a WoW forum and thus most people probably don't care about Diablo

Here's my leak: there's gonna be endless dungeon crawling through dark and edgy zones decimating your enemies through endlesss difficulty settings. You will have the option of a warrior like class, a mage like class, a summoner like class, and the druid is coming back for hype.

15+ Year Old Account
    We don't really know enough about it yet to make educated guesses.

All we really know is that they most likely restarted development in late 2018 and that Sebastian Stepien is the Creative Director. Stepien was the Lead Story Writer for The Witcher 2 and Creative Director for The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 before leaving CD Projekt Red.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    D4 would be easier for them to do than d2 remastered.

YouTube Dave brevviks YouTube video on why d2 can’t be remastered. He created the game and he used a really quirky way to code it to get it to work properly with mobs off screen. It legit makes it impossible to redo. They’d have to rebuild it from the first brick to the last
    Ye... No..

He is talking about you cant remaster it, without doing modifications. The mobs of the screen is a perfect example. Players aren't using 800x600 resolutions, but widescreen monitors. That would either require alterations to the gameplay or user UI. And as he said it - It wouldn't have the same feel. And thats it...

The code is not the problem. Building a game based on a 2d isometric tilemap is not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm surprised that there have been ZERO Diablo 4 "leaks" / speculation threads, even though we are 2.5ish months from Blizzcon. I would have thought there would be SOMETHING going on by now. Does anyone not care? Or are we expecting some strange new genre of game that is so different that its impossible to speculate?

It makes me think that perhaps Blizzard needs to do some teaser images to drum up interest.
    I think Ryker said that diablo 4 was going to be like skyrim.

I think the whole "Titan" debacle really scared Blizzard and fundementally changed how they approach brand new games.
    Really? Because from "Titan" we got Overwatch, which is a new IP and "brand new game" that Blizzard didn't have before.

And this "Titan excuse" needs to die, honestly. Game companies likely cancel projects all the time, at different stages of development. Actually, scratch that. EVERY SINGLE industry on this planet likely cancel projects all the time, at different stages of development.

They just have no reason to disclose they're canceling "project X" if they never even disclosed they're working on "project X" to begin with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Really? Because from "Titan" we got Overwatch, which is a new IP and "brand new game" that Blizzard didn't have before.

And this "Titan excuse" needs to die, honestly. Game companies likely cancel projects all the time, at different stages of development. Actually, scratch that. EVERY SINGLE industry on this planet likely cancel projects all the time, at different stages of development.

They just have no reason to disclose they're canceling "project X" if they never even disclosed they're working on "project X" to begin with.
    Them being able to salvage it and produce Overwatch is certainly a good thing.

The whole process that lead to that though? The years of it? Probably a nightmare for any game developer. Probably a reminder of what not to do next time.

Them being able to salvage it and produce Overwatch is certainly a good thing.

The whole process that lead to that though? The years of it? Probably a nightmare for any game developer. Probably a reminder of what not to do next time.
    Agreed on all of it, but it's something that inevitably happens to everyone. No one is perfect. No one can be a winner on everything they do. If I were to guess, for every successful project (i.e. a game that gets released in this case), there are at least two that were canceled at a random point of development, likely never even left the paper, so to speak.

Plus, as the saying goes, it's through failure how one learns to be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    They're on season 17!
    soon season 18
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Agreed on all of it, but it's something that inevitably happens to everyone. No one is perfect. No one can be a winner on everything they do. If I were to guess, for every successful project (i.e. a game that gets released in this case), there are at least two that were canceled at a random point of development, likely never even left the paper, so to speak.)
    https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/StarCraft_MMO

I saw an interview where Blizzard said in the aftermath of cancelling Titan, they wanted to brainstorm on 3 different ideas for a game. They would spend like 1-2 weeks or so devoted to each idea, and then at the end they would pick one. The first one was called Crossroads, which was an MMO in an entirely new setting. Basically a brand new IP. Then they all moved over to working on a Starcraft MMO. They REALLY liked how it was coming along. There is 1 piece of leaked art featuring a Clint Eastwood character named Logann standing over a hydalisk corpse with Battlecruisers overhead. They were convinced that was the game they were gonna do next. But they followed the plan to try a third idea. The third idea turned into Overwatch and they loved it so much that they made that instead of the Starcraft MMO. Logann became McCree in Overwatch.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

No leaks because the interest in the franchise is at minimum - even leaks would serve no reason other to build hype that's just going to collapse when they do the actual reveal and people goes "BUT THE LEAK SAID ANOTHER THING !!!!1111!!".

We're all waiting. Quite literally, we're waiting for an actual something worth our attention. There are a lot of games now that can scratch the ARPG itch and they simply cannot afford to miss another shot. D:I would have ben an actually decent thing if they just went "we're doing D4 but it takes long, so we did D:I as a side project to keep you busy during the wait".

PR damage and communication are what killed Diablo for real. D3 has been bad with an ultra low player retention, but in the end it layed out decently and platystyle/combat is still one of the best you can have for an ARPG. IF they take it and actually make a good content/reward/character structure over it then we'll have a solid base for starters.

I'm just going to wait. Blizzcon is near and i'm pretty sure something Diablo is going to happen. Hopefully not "D:I releases today".

EDIT: given Blizzazrd situation, im not playing anymore any of their games. They managed to even kill my WoW spark.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I think they either just don't say anything about Diablo on Blizzcon or they make thé announcement on blizzcon. Think they learned their lesson from last year, you all got mobile phones right...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

EDIT: given Blizzazrd situation, im not playing anymore any of their games. They managed to even kill my WoW spark.
    I am in same situation. I only log into D3 when my friends ask me to join them in rift or leveling.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Given how bad Diablo III was, they should just skip 4 and go straight to Diablo V.

You’re both exaggerating. D3 is not one of the biggest commercial successes of the decade. Not even close.

But it didn’t flop either but it is very poorly received by the d1-2 community.
    It was only the fastest selling PC game of all time, the most sold PC game of 2012, and 3rd most sold PC game of all time...

D3 is a massive success, comically more successful than D2. D2, which was also one of the best selling PC games of all time, only sold 4 million copies.

OT:
    There are likely no leaks for the game because Blizz has been pretty open about how close to the vest they are being with D4. And the Immortal announcement really cooled the entire community.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It was only the fastest selling PC game of all time, the most sold PC game of 2012, and 3rd most sold PC game of all time...

D3 is a massive success, comically more successful than D2. D2, which was also one of the best selling PC games of all time, only sold 4 million copies.

OT:
    There are likely no leaks for the game because Blizz has been pretty open about how close to the vest they are being with D4. And the Immortal announcement really cooled the entire community.
    "Massive success" selling out their oldest fanbase with a pile of shit that D3 was, if only we could assess the amount of money they lost with people who stopped to pay for anything Blizzard related, it wouldn't be regarded as such.
    Not to mention all the people who won't buy Diablo 4 after 3 being crap plus the travesty they tried to shove down our throat called Diablo Immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    "Massive success" selling out their oldest fanbase with a pile of shit that D3 was, if only we could assess the amount of money they lost with people who stopped to pay for anything Blizzard related, it wouldn't be regarded as such.
    Not to mention all the people who won't buy Diablo 4 after 3 being crap plus the travesty they tried to shove down our throat called Diablo Immortal.
    You can hate D3 as much as you want and for all the right reasons, but the game has been objectively a commercial success given how much money they managed to rake with it. People didn't stop playing WoW because of D3, it's total and utterly nonsense.

However, it has proven to be more damaging than anything else to the Diablo franchise. Zero player retention and basically non-existant gameplay are what made the whole situation a mess.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I wasn't disputing it's success; just the comment that it was the top selling game and record breaker of the decade when it wasn't even close.

Also, i don't even have it top 10 of the top selling games of all time. Even Skyrim is ahead of it, altho to be fair, skyrim is available on toasters and everything under the sun

The game set a new record for "fastest-selling PC game" by selling over 3.5 million copies in the first 24 hours of its release.
    Even after 7 years no other PC game broke the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    "Sold out the fan base"

Just because you and maybe the 10000 other people that still play D2 would rather continue playing that game doesn't mean it sold out anything. D2 is a simpler game, that will appeal to a certain group of people. It's a classic vs retail style debate. If you want to continue playing D2 go find PoE. Diablo 3 is a great game, just like D2 is a great game. D3 didn't sell out the fan base, it brought a different style of play that has been wildly popular. Remember D3 almost sold more in it's first day than D2 ever sold. RoS also sold a ridiculous amount, almost matching D3 on first day alone... which again is almost the same as all of the accounts ever made to play D2 in it's entire life span.

You just don't like Diablo 3. You are also an extreme minority opinion as the game has been wildly successful.

I like both games, I still play both games. Diablo 4 will likely break D3 sales record, I have hope that it will be a great game, like D2 is and like D3 is.

Diablo Immortal on the other hand... no one who isn't Chinese (and apparently they don't give a fuck either) really care about D:I.