Thread: Minimum specs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Difference between 30 and 60 isnt much because they are both awful lol, once you get up to ~80 fps is once you starting noticing big differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    The laptop is running the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit. All my computers have the 1903 build. The laptop originally came with 64 bit Windows 7.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care about data. I care about what I see and I see no difference. I think people want there to be a difference to justify spending the money that they have. Just like with Smartphones. My phone cost $79 and is more than adequate for anything. People who spend hundreds or even $1000 are in my mind, crazy. My personal limit for a phone would be $150 and I also have a personal policy of never buying anything made by Apple. I could afford at least $3000 to upgrade my computer but I just don't see the need. My Scottish blood would never let me pay $500 or more just for a graphics card,
    See now it makes sense... You're blind, and on top of blind you're just full of it and can't accept that someone else is right, and you're jealous you can't afford a proper machine so you deceive your own self into believing it's all a crock of shit.

Let me guess, the worlds still flat because you can't see the curve from your doorstep.

This entire post and every post you've made talking about how you dont believe 60 > 30 just reeks of delusion. Good luck out there champ.

Big yikes.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. It makes loading of data as you move through the world faster as well. I notice more of that kind of thing since switching to an SSD on my desktop more than any difference in loading screens. The whole thing is smoother. The random access reading speed is much more important than the sequential.
    Lmao, it makes data load as you move through the world faster? Ok yep, you're a troll, or an IRL bot.

I have decided to give Classic a try after seeing that the installed size will be very small. I'm going to try it on my 2011 vintage laptop that I played retail WoW on for about 4 years (2011-2015). The specs are as follows:
    CPU--AMD A8-3500M quad core APU
    GPU--Integrated Radeon HD6200G using 512mb of system memory
    RAM--8GB DDR3-1333mhz
    SSD--Silicon Power A55 256GB

I know it mostly exceeds minimum specs . The only part that concerns me a little is the graphics chip. Minimum says Intel 4000 and looking up a comparison between that and what I have, it looks very close. What do you guys think? Will it work?
    I think it should work, watch out with addons - they can be very demanding. I would suggest you use the time before launch to clean your laptop vents completely as this can make huge differences in performance.

I have a quite new laptop (RTX 2070) and have to clean it every 2 months with pressured air, otherwise I see temperatures rising!

Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    See now it makes sense... You're blind, and on top of blind you're just full of it and can't accept that someone else is right, and you're jealous you can't afford a proper machine so you deceive your own self into believing it's all a crock of shit.

Let me guess, the worlds still flat because you can't see the curve from your doorstep.

This entire post and every post you've made talking about how you dont believe 60 > 30 just reeks of delusion. Good luck out there champ.

Big yikes.

- - - Updated - - -

Lmao, it makes data load as you move through the world faster? Ok yep, you're a troll, or an IRL bot.
    Now that proves you don't know what you're talking about. An SSD loads everything faster, including the new data as you travel through the scenery. The whole world or zone doesn't load all at once. Everybody knows that any game plays smoother from an SSD than from a HDD and that's the reason why it does. You get far more benefit than just faster display of loading screens.

I also already said that I could afford to upgrade my machine. I just don't see the need. If anyone is jealous it's you. You can't stand hearing that somebody can enjoy the game as much as you without wasting money on needless "upgrades". It's all marketing strategy and you're falling into the trap. My machines last me on average 6 years before I need to upgrade and that's usually because game developers seem to be in cahoots with hardware makers by making games need more power to render the graphics. They usually do this at the expense of actually improving game play.

Then people go out and spend hundreds or even thousands on new hardware because some testing site says they'll get higher framerates. Usually it's just numbers and the difference between 80fps and 100 is just numbers and not actually discernible to the human eye. These people then do benchmarks and say "Hey I spent my money wisely" when really they just wasted it. They convince themselves that things look better when they actually don't and they no longer have the old setup to compare it with.

All this nonsense of putting higher and higher resolutions on small screens where you can't see the difference anyway is all marketing hype. "Hey look, our phone has 4k resolution on a 5 inch screen". Even 720P is overkill on a screen that size. "Wow our camera is 18 megapixels" when 5 is more than anyone actually needs. They don't trick me into spending money needlessly.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-08 at 02:41 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Now that proves you don't know what you're talking about. An SSD loads everything faster, including the new data as you travel through the scenery. The whole world or zone doesn't load all at once. Everybody knows that any game plays smoother from an SSD than from a HDD and that's the reason why it does.

I also already said that I could afford to upgrade my machine. I just don't see the need. If anyone is jealous it's you. You can't stand hearing that somebody can enjoy the game as much as you without wasting money on needless "upgrades". It's all marketing strategy and you're falling into the trap. My machines last me on average 6 years before I need to upgrade and that's usually because game developers seem to be in cahoots with hardware makers by making games need more power to render the graphics. They usually do this at the expense of actually improving game play.
    Huh? An SSD is not greatly improing smoother gameplay. It provides quicker load times as it can transfer files to your RAM quicker, but the game will run from your RAM. If you have not enough RAM, you will experience a kind of buffering - in this case your SSD can fill your RAM a little quicker than a mechanical HDD will do. But I would 100% rather play on a system with a surplus or RAM with a HDD than a system with not enough RAM and a SSD.
    Last edited by Battlebot; 2019-08-08 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Difference between 30 and 60 isnt much because they are both awful lol, once you get up to ~80 fps is once you starting noticing big differences.
    OMG, there is ABSOLUTELY no discernible difference between 60 fps and 80 or more. That's delusional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebot View Post
    Huh? An SSD is not greatly improing smoother gameplay. It provides quicker load times as it can transfer files to your RAM quicker, but the game will run from your RAM. If you have not enough RAM, you will experience a kind of buffering - in this case your SSD can fill your RAM a little quicker than a mechanical HDD will do. But I would 100% rather play on a system with a surplus or RAM with a HDD than a system with not enough RAM and a SSD.
    I agree with that. The amount of RAM can make a huge difference.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

OMG, there is ABSOLUTELY no discernible difference between 60 fps and 80 or more. That's delusional.
    I am not agreeing with this. The difference between stable 30 and stable 60 FPS is absolutely noticable. The difference between stable 60 and stable 144 FPS is HUGE. The problem is what you get used to.

Personal experience:
    I always played on a regular 60Hz 1080p screen. My old PC could easily push games on med/high settings to get this stable on 60 FPS. Then I upgraded my GPU and bought a 144HZ 1080p screen. Dang I could not believe my eyes, soooo smooth.
    For a lan party I only had access to a 60Hz screen again... man, the first hour I was UPSET with myself that I did not bring my own 144Hz screen. After an hour I got used to it and it was kinda ok again.
    Now I have a 144Hz G-sync panel connected to my laptop, again - the difference between 144Hz and 144Hz G-sync is crazy. I noticed it when I had to play on my laptop's own screen, which is non g-sync 144Hz that I feel every occasion of tearing with my whole body.

TL;DR, as soon as you experience better screen quality/FPS - you will only notice how good it actually is if you move back to an old screen.

Once you go HFR, you never go back!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that. The amount of RAM can make a huge difference.
    Science disagrees with you. Have a nice day in delusional city. LMAO.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Anything made after 2010 will run Classic fine enough, you just won't be running it on SUPER ULTRA OMEGA WTFBBQOMGPWN 60K resolution or whatever.
    Pretty much this.

I'm kind of excited to see what Classic will look like on my modern rig. My PC that I originally used to play WoW in 2005 was outdated even for its time (it was one I bought in 1999 and was actually below WoW's minimum requirements on a couple of things but still worked somehow). I had to run the game on all the lowest possible settings, so it looked and ran like complete crap. Even without graphical improvements to the game itself, it's going to look far better to me this time just because I'll be on a higher resolution and running the game with all the settings maxed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Keep in mind:
    64bit OS installs were less common in 2011
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone running a 32-bit OS now, especially for gaming (being capped at 4GB of RAM alone sounds painful enough), but it does seem like I remember people holding on to 32-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7 for a long time when they came along.

I'd forgotten that 64-bit Windows XP was a thing until I started looking it up. I don't remember hearing much talk about it or seeing anyone actually use it, but I'm guessing it was more of a specialized thing that wasn't as widely available/usable for the general public.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-08-09 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Pretty much this.

I'm kind of excited to see what Classic will look like on my modern rig. My PC that I originally used to play WoW in 2005 was outdated even for its time (it was one I bought in 1999 and was actually below WoW's minimum requirements on a couple of things but still worked somehow). I had to run the game on all the lowest possible settings, so it looked and ran like complete crap. Even without graphical improvements to the game itself, it's going to look far better to me this time just because I'll be on a higher resolution and running the game with all the settings maxed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone running a 32-bit OS now, especially for gaming (being capped at 4GB of RAM alone sounds painful enough), but it does seem like I remember people holding on to 32-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7 for a long time when they came along.

I'd forgotten that 64-bit Windows XP was a thing until I started looking it up. I don't remember hearing much talk about it or seeing anyone actually use it, but I'm guessing it was more of a specialized thing that wasn't as widely available/usable for the general public.
    Older single core computers and Tablets with weak Atom type CPU's run better with the 32 bit version. That's about it though.

Update: I tried the stress test on both the laptop and my Desktop. On the laptop I had to run on the #1 or 2 settings to maintain FPS of 30 or more. On the desktop, I maxed everything and stayed at a constant 100. I will say though, that playing the game has just about convinced me not to be there for the launch. Classic in a nutshell is at least 50% running from place to place, 25% returning to your corpse since 2 mobs are too much to handle by anyone, and only 25% or less time spent doing anything actually meaningful. I had forgotten what torture it was to level a Hunter to 10 without a pet. You have to be a masochist . I just really didn't enjoy it at all. Having to be the first one to tag any mob to get credit for killing it is also horrible. Not to mention having to group for what should be simple objectives. Having said that, if they let me keep the level 11 Hunter in the release, I might consider playing from time to time but it will be wiped. I have no desire to go through all of that again.

Just because you don't understand technology, doesn't make someone else a troll or a bot. I remember testing SSD's in WoW to see if they passed the Nagrand test.

15+ Year Old Account
    I found that any 'onboard' gfxcard was never able to fluidly display vanilla WoW in the past, as it's an old laptop I expect a bit of a laggy experience, could still have good fps, but it just feels very 'off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    I found that any 'onboard' gfxcard was never able to fluidly display vanilla WoW in the past, as it's an old laptop I expect a bit of a laggy experience, could still have good fps, but it just feels very 'off'.
    Actually, I started playing on the laptop towards the end Of Cataclysm. That Xpac, and the 2 that followed it, MoP and WoD, played very smoothly on it. This version of Classic requires far more power than the original did. There is a lot more ground clutter for one thing. I could try it out on the 2005 vintage lappy I used to play Vanilla on but I'm sure it would be a complete failure. That one has a single core CPU and built in graphics that actually use discrete memory (a very rare thing) but they're very weak and only have 128mb video memory. It probably wouldn't even start up the game. I actually played Vanilla, BC, and Wrath on it because it was my only option at that time. I put that poor thing through Hell and it's still working today and running Windows 10 where it came with XP. I gave it to my housemate and she browses and plays simple games with it.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-10 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Just because you don't understand technology, doesn't make someone else a troll or a bot. I remember testing SSD's in WoW to see if they passed the Nagrand test.
    Lol. I don't understand technology... Just have a bachelor's of science in information science, and do IT work for a fortune 500 company. Yep. No idea what I'm talking about. You realize an SSD is going to make no discernible difference in the game outside of the loading screen right? The vast majority of the in game loading comes from your RAM you doofus.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Not everyone notices the difference, but there IS an noticeable difference for those who see it, just like there is a huge difference from 60 to 144.
    For someone who play in 144 fps i cant handle below 60 fps, its just objectively bad for me.

Dont worry my friend, soon or later you will also see the truth of 60fps/144fps/240fps.
    You mean to say theres a noticable difference for those who notice a difference? Shocking... I haven’t been this shocked since I heard barely audible sounds can be heard by those who can hear them!

Yes there’s a difference between 30 and 60 fps, which mostly has to do with motionblur and the like. Shockingly though, not all our brains are trained to pick up on this difference. Therefore, for some people, it’s a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    You mean to say theres a noticable difference for those who notice a difference? Shocking... I haven’t been this shocked since I heard barely audible sounds can be heard by those who can hear them!

Yes there’s a difference between 30 and 60 fps, which mostly has to do with motionblur and the like. Shockingly though, not all our brains are trained to pick up on this difference. Therefore, for some people, it’s a waste of money.
    I always turn off motion blur anyway. I don't like it. It's a waste of processing power.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. I don't understand technology... Just have a bachelor's of science in information science, and do IT work for a fortune 500 company. Yep. No idea what I'm talking about. You realize an SSD is going to make no discernible difference in the game outside of the loading screen right? The vast majority of the in game loading comes from your RAM you doofus.
    And where does the RAM get the data from? The drive, dummy. There is a difference and it is discernible. Far more discernible than the difference between 60 and 100 fps and also more than the difference between 30 and 60. Yes the difference will be much more noticeable with an increase of RAM from say 4 to 8 gigs or maybe, but not very likely, going from single channel RAM to dual. Dual channel RAM is highly overrated. It really only makes a difference for machines with integrated graphics that use the system memory. Computers with discrete graphics will see little if any difference in gameplay.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-12 at 01:32 PM.

I always turn off motion blur anyway. I don't like it. It's a waste of processing power.

- - - Updated - - -

And where does the RAM get the data from? The drive, dummy. There is a difference and it is discernible. Far more discernible than the difference between 60 and 100 fps and also more than the difference between 30 and 60. Yes the difference will be much more noticeable with an increase of RAM from say 4 to 8 gigs or maybe, but not very likely, going from single channel RAM to dual. Dual channel RAM is highly overrated. It really only makes a difference for machines with integrated graphics that use the system memory. Computers with discrete graphics will see little if any difference in gameplay.
    Lmao. You're actually brain dead. The only difference you're going to see between and HDD and SDD are your loading screens. Period. Please stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself.

Lmao. You're actually brain dead. The only difference you're going to see between and HDD and SDD are your loading screens. Period. Please stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself.
    Have you actually played this game at all on an HDD? Do you actually believe that WoW fully loads everything on the loading screen -- even if you had 128gb of ram, it doesn't.

wow suffers from stuttering on HDDs outside of loading screens. practically every game that deals with thousands of different models such as wow, d3, poe, etc, will suffer from stuttering while on an HDD but not an SSD.

the loading screen only accounts for static objects in a certain radius. it does not preload player models or any dynamic content. i just transferred wow from an ssd to a higher end 7200 rpm hdd, and sure enough it was still shit outside of the loading screen. logged into a high population server in stormwind, and i had to wait about 10 seconds for all of the character models to fully load and the game was stuttering while running around on a mount while it loaded new afar objects.

the difference of an HDD and SSD outside of the loading screen becomes more apparent when you are flying around on a 310% mount with max view distance.
    Last edited by greenn; 2019-08-12 at 05:39 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever lies you want to tell yourself homie. Theres a HUGE difference between 30 fps and 60 in every game. Theres an even bigger difference between 60 and 144 if you get a 144hz monitor.
    I was with you right up until this point. I've been gaming on a 144hz monitor for a couple years now and I can't really see a massive difference if I drop it down to 60. I can tell that something has changed, but it's not a huge difference and it doesn't make it unplayable or anything. If I were to leave the room and someone where to cap my FPS to 60 without my knowledge I wouldn't even notice.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by greenn View Post
    Have you actually played this game at all on an HDD? Do you actually believe that WoW fully loads everything on the loading screen -- even if you had 128gb of ram, it doesn't.

wow suffers from stuttering on HDDs outside of loading screens. practically every game that deals with thousands of different models such as wow, d3, poe, etc, will suffer from stuttering while on an HDD but not an SSD.

the loading screen only accounts for static objects in a certain radius. it does not preload player models or any dynamic content. i just transferred wow from an ssd to a higher end 7200 rpm hdd, and sure enough it was still shit outside of the loading screen. logged into a high population server in stormwind, and i had to wait about 10 seconds for all of the character models to fully load and the game was stuttering while running around on a mount while it loaded new afar objects.

the difference of an HDD and SSD outside of the loading screen becomes more apparent when you are flying around on a 310% mount with max view distance.
    Considering I've played since 2004, yes I have played with an HDD. All the way through WoTLK, never had this stuttering problem you speak of. I also never said it stores 100% of non-loading screen shit on RAM, but outside of the loading screen, you shouldn't be dealing with stuttering with an HDD. But then again, it's been YEARS since I had one, you may be right with the new models etc. At the end of the day it's 2019... you can get an SSD for what... 30-50$? Hell I can't think of a computer you buy in the store that doesn't have an SSD. My wife's 300$ laptop has a dang SSD in it.

Regardless this guys an absolute idiot if he thinks theres no discernible difference between 30, 60, 144, 240hz monitors and FPS.