Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Retail WoW needs to return to the WoD model

With Classic WoW now in the mix, Retail WoW cannot afford to continue with the grind and daily chores model for the sole purpose of improving player participation metrics. The market for those who want meaningful character progression for their time investment is with Classic.

Retail WoW needs to shift away from this model as it is unable to compete with Classic on this front, and return to the WoD model, where raid logging was not only viable, but encouraged. Retail needs to return to the game where players can pop in and out without having the burden of endlessly grinding and farming to become viable. Blizzard needs to keep Retail as casual as possible to retain the players it can.

Retail WoW needs to be WoD + a little more content in order to sustain itself. Otherwise there will be fewer Retail players, which in turn would mean fewer expansion and microtransaction sales and even less development of Retail.

I don’t think anyone wants to go back to the worst period in the game’s history.

5+ Year Old Account
    After 2nd WOD, Activision gonna sell Blizzard to some homeless guy and be done with it)
    So maybe this guy a prophet and he wants to see people go trough 2nd WOD, to have some laughs.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    I don’t think anyone wants to go back to the worst period in the game’s history.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    After 2nd WOD, Activision gonna sell Blizzard to some homeless guy and be done with it)
    So maybe this guy a prophet and he wants to see people go trough 2nd WOD, to have some laughs.
    If by homeless guy you mean

then yes, good prediction.

Next up, "Why Classic is doomed for failure if it doesn't introduce the LFR."

What they need is MoP 2.0, only with a "cooler" theme - for all the little edgelords out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was great if you where into PvP and the raids was good just not much to do out in the world. ANd BFA is worse than WoD least i could play more than one toon and not be far behind.
    Last edited by Starscream101; 2019-08-13 at 04:30 AM.

There's only one time period of WoW that was worse than BfA, and that's the one that you want back? Yeah, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    With Classic WoW now in the mix, Retail WoW cannot afford to continue with the grind and daily chores model for the sole purpose of improving player participation metrics. The market for those who want meaningful character progression for their time investment is with Classic.

Retail WoW needs to shift away from this model as it is unable to compete with Classic on this front, and return to the WoD model, where raid logging was not only viable, but encouraged. Retail needs to return to the game where players can pop in and out without having the burden of endlessly grinding and farming to become viable. Blizzard needs to keep Retail as casual as possible to retain the players it can.

Retail WoW needs to be WoD + a little more content in order to sustain itself. Otherwise there will be fewer Retail players, which in turn would mean fewer expansion and microtransaction sales and even less development of Retail.
    I really hope, it will, as I really hope, that Classic is implemented for this purpose only. I.e. we have been asking for splitting of Wow into hardcore and casual for ages, as it's just not possible to have two at the same time and in one game. Or at least Blizzard fail to achieve this goal.

Problem is - whole WOD had one content patch worth of content. We should have had Tanaan at release. But it wouldn't be problem, if Blizzard wouldn't have abandoned WOD just after it's release.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're talking about general design philosophy, not the lack of content... Aside from the lack of content WoD was a decently enjoyable expansion, if it had the content it was supposed to (like that Ogre continent, which would have likely come with a raid of it's own) people would have praised it, but Blizzard decided instead to scrap several patches worth of content to focus on Legion... In spite of that I stayed subbed to WoD from launch until the content drought after HFC, because the gameplay itself was actually enjoyable, unlike now, where I unsubbed like 2 months after 8.1 and have no plans of returning until 9.0.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-08-13 at 04:45 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaaaaand /Thread
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

If they had supported WoD like they should've it would have been a really solid expansion. Gameplay was slimmed down from MoP but still solid outside of a few purposefully ruined specs.

I'd be down with a return to that style. Give more incentive to engage with the world. Remove all this AP nonsense added in Legion and the ever present always on grind. Add M+ to the formula with some unique weapon appearances per season like Challenge Modes. Morph garrison tech into housing and reinvigorate old content and professions with housing items. I'd even prefer to go back to the expansion long Legendary quest thing if they absolutely need something like an AP grind. Getting to one of the Legendary stopping points was way more of a reward than getting yet another neck level or 3% more Stamina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    It lacked content specifically because of the design philosophy the OP is asking for. Raid logging is only possible when there's fuckall to do otherwise for everyone. If there's content available that's rewarding in any meaningful way then sperg raiders will insist they're forced to do it and can't raid log like they want.
    That just isn't true outside of a very small minority... Content outside of mythic raids doesn't need to be able to titanforge up to mythic ilvl (which is what makes them think they need to do it) in order for it to be meaningfully rewarding, because people who don't mythic raid or do high lvl mythic+ don't have any need for that kind of gear... and I don't think any of the mythic raiders would really complain about doing a couple of M+ runs for their weekly chest.

It lacked content because Blizzard abandoned it to a skeleton crew to focus on Legion, not because of it's design philosophy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    why not just go back to Cata when things were good and fun

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wod was trash it needs to go back to mop where there was a ton of rewarding things to do that all had ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I really hope, it will, as I really hope, that Classic is implemented for this purpose only. I.e. we have been asking for splitting of Wow into hardcore and casual for ages, as it's just not possible to have two at the same time and in one game. Or at least Blizzard fail to achieve this goal.

Problem is - whole WOD had one content patch worth of content. We should have had Tanaan at release. But it wouldn't be problem, if Blizzard wouldn't have abandoned WOD just after it's release.
    We had both hardcore and Casual in mop.

If you wanted to be hard core you could get every profession to get all your gear enchants you could do the tillers for food buffs do all the daily’s as soon as possible for the launch gear raid heroic do challenge modes ect.

Then if you wanted to be casual you had stuff like the cloud serpents the timeless isle scenarios pet battles ect.

Mop had a perfect balance for both kinds of players.

ITT: WoD sucks but my favorite expansion is a better model because my opinion is more important than everybody else's.

OT: WoD is my favorite expansion but even I realize this is a shitty idea.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post

Let me get this straight: You want WoW to go back to the expansion model that made the game lose half of its 10 million subscribers in half a year? The expansion model everyone complained, day in and day out, about having nothing to do outside of BGs, arenas and raiding? The expansion model that had people logging only once or twice per week to raid, and then did the rest of their "WoW activities" through a phone app while they were on the crapper? The expansion model that had only two raid tiers? The expansion model that sits at the bottom of most people's lists of favorite expansions?

That expansion model, is the one you want WoW to go back to?

Is this some kind of veiled "WoW is dead, let's just bury it" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post

Ehmm, what's a hardcore player? And who defines who are? ������

7+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down

Well, WoD the one, which begin implementation a lot of that mechanics, which made it way through Legion with take root and grow stronger and became BfA at its end. Literally: WoD did the same for Legion as WotLK for Cataclysm. Only in first case players receive MoP as separate period, but for second - this period was absorbed by Legion itself and wasn't even expressed (it added some own stuff, of course, but in principle). So... Does WoD's trends still good looking for you now knowing this *looking with smile at BfA, which is its result*?

So...
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-08-13 at 08:08 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__